TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Anyone watch "Small Town Ecstacy" on HBO's Investigative Reports? <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Darin is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 01:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

quote:
Originally posted by bigcb37
People like him are why the masses oppose drug use. If people were smarter about their use then many of the negative steroetypes about drug users would be untrue.

The masses aren't aware of the people who are smarter about their drug use. There's no reason for them to notice them. The only ones who stand out are those who, like this man, have some serious problems, and make some very bad decisions. Their lack of responsibility and reasonable decisions in their drug use, as in other aspects of their lives, worsens the effect, and they start a downward spiral. In the end, the drugs get blamed for their woes, and that blame is what the masses see.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stormsweeper is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 02:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stormsweeper Find more posts by stormsweeper Add stormsweeper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

quote:
Originally posted by ttyler1999

First of all these are human beings, not animals, and second of all this is a lot more up close and personal. Are you telling me that if you were filming a child for a documentary and someone came up and attacked or mugged that child that you would go right on filming?

Do you WATCH the news these days? Or any of those shows on Fox?

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigcb37 is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 02:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigcb37 Find more posts by bigcb37 Add bigcb37 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigcb37
Willing Member

quote:
Originally posted by Darin

The masses aren't aware of the people who are smarter about their drug use. There's no reason for them to notice them. The only ones who stand out are those who, like this man, have some serious problems, and make some very bad decisions. Their lack of responsibility and reasonable decisions in their drug use, as in other aspects of their lives, worsens the effect, and they start a downward spiral. In the end, the drugs get blamed for their woes, and that blame is what the masses see.

I couldn't agree with you more. Its the extreme cases that call attention. I blame that guys problems on his in ability to handle a drug, not the drug alone. Its just like alcohol, some people can handle it and some people become dependant on it. Its the same principle, but for some reason society says alcohol is okay and drugs are not. (some drugs I think are safer then alcohol, some are not and should be illegal)

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVolcano is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 02:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVolcano Visit TiVolcano's homepage! Find more posts by TiVolcano Add TiVolcano to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVolcano
Hawaiian Newlywed

quote:
Originally posted by bigcb37

I couldn't agree with you more. Its the extreme cases that call attention. I blame that guys problems on his in ability to handle a drug, not the drug alone. Its just like alcohol, some people can handle it and some people become dependant on it. Its the same principle, but for some reason society says alcohol is okay and drugs are not. (some drugs I think are safer then alcohol, some are not and should be illegal)

This isn't the best analogy to make. While abusing alcohol is certainly detrimental to your health, a glass of wine a day is actually good for you. Any amount of ecstasy is bad for you.

Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation; they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.

Xbox gamertag - Curly

brimon.net
brimon radio

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ttyler1999 is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 02:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ttyler1999 Find more posts by ttyler1999 Add ttyler1999 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ttyler1999
H-Dog in the Hizouse

Location: Newark, Delaware, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, This Universe

quote:
Originally posted by stormsweeper

Do you WATCH the news these days? Or any of those shows on Fox?

I assume you mean those "reality" shows on Fox where they show video that someone accidentally caught on tape. This is a case of someone filming a subject with the advance knowledge of what is going to happen.

From the website:

An unsettling, cautionary documentary, Small Town Ecstasy is the unexpected result of the filmmakers' search for a subject who would demonstrate the pervasive effect of "club drugs" on young people.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigcb37 is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 02:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigcb37 Find more posts by bigcb37 Add bigcb37 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigcb37
Willing Member

quote:
Originally posted by TiVolcano

This isn't the best analogy to make. While abusing alcohol is certainly detrimental to your health, a glass of wine a day is actually good for you. Any amount of ecstasy is bad for you.

I meant in terms of abuse, either takes a certain amount of control. Ex is certainly bad for you. But other drugs such as pot are not nearly as destructive as alcohol. My point is more that either drugs or alcohol can be abused in the same way.

Who actually drinks a glass of wine a day solely for health anyways? People just like to say that "its actually good for you" ....I say it too

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Knative is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 02:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Knative Find more posts by Knative Add Knative to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Knative
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by pmyers
The guys at National Geographic could step in and save the gazelle from the tiger too.....

This triggered a spark of memory from a while back regarding journalists and the Vietnam war.

quote:
Some years ago, there was a PBS television program that brought prominent citizens together to be intellectually prodded by a host who threw hypothetical situations at them. In one of these shows, the host asked TV anchor Peter Jennings what he would do if, while on patrol with a guerrilla force fighting U.S. troops, he learned that the guerrillas were going to ambush the Americans.

Jennings, visibly pained by such a prospect, said he wouldn’t be able to go on with the guerrillas; he would flee and try to alert the Americans. The host put the same question to Mike Wallace, known for his tough journalistic tactics. Wallace didn’t hesitate. He was a journalist first, he said, there to cover the news however it was made.

I don’t think Wallace made many friends among Americans viewing that program. But he made his case so forcefully that it swayed Jennings. On reflection, the anchor said, he thought he would follow Wallace’s lead after all.

Article link

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigcb37 is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 02:51 AM
bigcb37
Willing Member

quote:
Originally posted by TiVolcano

I meant in terms of abuse, either takes a certain amount of control. Ex is certainly bad for you. But other drugs such as pot are not nearly as destructive as alcohol. My point is more that either drugs or alcohol can be abused in the same way.

Who actually drinks a glass of wine a day solely for health anyways? People just like to say that "its actually good for you" ....I say it too

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 02:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

Man, I need to lay off the X, I'm getting serious deja vu.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pmyers is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 03:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pmyers Find more posts by pmyers Add pmyers to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pmyers
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by ttyler1999

First of all these are human beings, not animals, and second of all this is a lot more up close and personal. Are you telling me that if you were filming a child for a documentary and someone came up and attacked or mugged that child that you would go right on filming?

I guess that would depend...if I was doing a documentary about kids that mugged people and then that same kid got mugged him/herself, then I probably wouldn't stop it.

I didn't mean to sound as harsh as my first post, but I just wanted to throw it out their for discussion.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged