TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> 800# Info/Dial-Up Transition <<<

Pages (28): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rasheed is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 05:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rasheed Find more posts by rasheed Add rasheed to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rasheed
Advanced Member

Time of day calling window should have came first

TiVoPony,

I appreciate your forwardness on such issues.

I think you covered the many issues that would be asked, but as mentioned by others earlier -- a time of day calling window option should be available. We can try to get people to change to a cheaper calling plan, but before the 800 option is taken away, at least a time of day window should have been established.

If I was a user that had time of day rates and had no local number, I would most definitely unplug my TiVo except when I knew it was safe for it to call if I didn't like how it scheduled the next call. So, it might make a later call longer, but I wouldn't mind paying for a longer call as long as the rate was cheaper per minute.

Thanks.

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lev is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 05:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lev Find more posts by lev Add lev to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lev

The way I see it, for anyone who's upset, Tivo should offer to refund and cancel their lifetime membership. They had the use of a Tivo, and they can sell the Tivo on E-bay. Granted, the new owner's going to have to pay more for the lifetime subscription, so you gotta question anyone's sanity who would take up this offer. Yeah, it'd be token, but it should silence the right to complain.

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

FourOhFour is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 06:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for FourOhFour Visit FourOhFour's homepage! Find more posts by FourOhFour Add FourOhFour to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FourOhFour
HTTP Error

Re: Re: Re: Dial-Up Transition

quote:
Originally posted by Otto
Oh, and anyone paying more than 5 cents a minute for long distance is straight up getting screwed, IMO. [/url]

Well, thank you Captain Obvious!

Tell Clarkson University to get a better long distance carrier - oh, wait, I'm sure they get some kickback from AT&T... (NOTE: I have no evidence of this except the 15 cents a minute I pay - or don't, rather, I don't make long distance calls from school, I use my cell phone.)

quote:
Heck, even 10-10 numbers are cheaper than some of these "15 cents a minute" that I'm seeing tossed about, and those are as easy as putting it into your Tivo's prefix.

I suspect 10-10 is blocked, but havn't tried.

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hench is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 06:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hench Find more posts by Hench Add Hench to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hench

Smile

I understand that 3.0 will reduce the length of the daily call-in. To make it easier (cheaper) for those of us who have no local POP and have had to use the 800 number. why not put us on a priorty list to get version 3.0 befor e you take away our 800 assess? Makes sense to me.

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 07:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by Hench
I understand that 3.0 will reduce the length of the daily call-in. To make it easier (cheaper) for those of us who have no local POP and have had to use the 800 number. why not put us on a priorty list to get version 3.0 befor e you take away our 800 access? Makes sense to me.

Not a bad idea, I'll check into it.

Could be a moot point tho'...the 800 # is still active for the next 30 days or so.

Yes, we're close. Not finished, but close.

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

controlio is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 10:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for controlio Find more posts by controlio Add controlio to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
controlio
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by andyf

I'm not being flippant here, but why don't you show your cable company the door on the way out and invite those nice satellite people in. It's well worth it if you can get a dish up facing the right direction, no more cable company paid programming. Not to say you won't start having nightmares about BowFlex machines.

Not an option. I work for two of the PEG channels in my city, and need to monitor the programming on both. By the time you figure out the cost for bare bones basic + sat programming, it's far more expensive than is reasonable.

I can't wait to see when 3.0 comes out if TiVo releases any hard numbers on what percentage of TiVo units are successfully receiving the Teleworld Paid Programming. I'm imagining that a significant number of us aren't getting them, and I really wish TiVo would do something to help rectify the situation.

Maybe even downloading the data via the modem if you OptIn?

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kaokulk is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 10:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kaokulk Find more posts by Kaokulk Add Kaokulk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kaokulk

Can the code for that stuff get put in the vertical bar where the closed captioning is, or does it have to use the whole screen? IF you could put it in the bar, run it on the Tonight Show (that's even on twice a night).

NBC is supposedly a partner, can't it devote some time to TiVo? Maybe during commercials in the Leno rerun, or some other time no one else is watching (a soap opera or something )?

What about one of the other partners?

POST #87 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 10:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony

Not a bad idea, I'll check into it.

Done.

It was already part of the plan as it turns out. Everyone who's currently on the 800 # now is at the front of the line for 3.0. Many already have it (as part of our earlier small-switch tests).

And I'd guess that a few of you may be thinking "Hey, I'll try switching to the 800 # and get bumped to the front of the line"...you're too late.

The list is already compiled.

Pony

POST #88 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

roamer1 is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 11:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for roamer1 Visit roamer1's homepage! Find more posts by roamer1 Add roamer1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roamer1
Telco Boi

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dial-Up Transition

quote:
Originally posted by FourOhFour

Tell Clarkson University to get a better long distance carrier - oh, wait, I'm sure they get some kickback from AT&T

ACUS is EVIL...

-SC

POST #89 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hench is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 03:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hench Find more posts by Hench Add Hench to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hench

My SA Tivo got the 3.0 upgrade last night! Thanks Tivo Pony!!

POST #90 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

andyf is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 03:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for andyf Visit andyf's homepage! Find more posts by andyf Add andyf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andyf
Long time TiVo user

Does anyone that got 3.0 recently want to post all the numbers on the version line in System Information?

POST #91 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timf is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 04:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for timf Visit timf's homepage! Find more posts by timf Add timf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timf
TiVo Forum Special Member

It's 3.0.S7a, from what I've heard. Still not the final version number, but close.

For the latest DirecTV local channel information, go here .
Visit AVS Forum Live Chat for live help with your TiVo! View channel stats here .

POST #92 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BryanRDC is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 04:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BryanRDC Visit BryanRDC's homepage! Find more posts by BryanRDC Add BryanRDC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BryanRDC

I live in a major area (just up the road from TiVo), so I've had local call since starting with TiVo in December, 2000. So I just want to say that, if I'm ever in a position where TiVo makes a decision that goes against my own personal interest, I hope it will be explained as sensitively and nicely as Bob P. has done here. Well done, Bob.

Shame on the flames!

"It is a fact universally acknowledged that the greatness of American cities is painful to kids from the sticks, the dumps, the cornpone redneck backwoods, the vastland flatland heartland darkness of our republic under the night, the blasted suburbs and knee-bend lane-ends where the zombie cellular people live -- if you call that living." - David Bromwich, reviewing "The Language Police" in The New Republic, 8/18/03

POST #93 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoZorro is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 04:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoZorro Find more posts by TivoZorro Add TivoZorro to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoZorro

I have a much calmer attitude than what I had last August when this was first brought up for discussion.

I am one of the affected customers. Will have to call Fayetteville, NC. This is called expanded local calling. The rates are as follows:

Daytime: 12 c. for first minute, 8 c. for folloiwng minutes.
Nightime and Weekends: 6 c. for first minute, 4 c. for following minutes.

The nightime charges don't seem to be that bad. I will definetly be leaving my Tivo unplugged and then make one weekly call home after 11 pm. Will give this a try for a month and see what the telephone bill charges are and then if it's too much I will be unplugging the Tivo permanently and using it as a digital VCR. Luckily I have an SVR 2000 that originally came with 1.3 so this shouldn't be a problem. Would hate to loose the Tivo guide data and all of the cool features that come with it but if it comes down to it I can use TV Guide and the Internet to program it like a VCR.

I respect that Tivo has made a definite effort by shortening the daily call length with the 3.0 software and the Teleword programming. This is definetly a good move.

Would like to enter in my vote for ISP support. Pinehurst has several local ISPs. One of which I use for the Internet.

TivoPony, one thing that does concern me though is the phone calls that are made for future software upgrades. Being that these last I think forty-five minutes to an hour this could be a real hit on peoples wallets.

POST #94 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 04:40 AM
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

Re: Time of day calling window should have came first

quote:
Originally posted by rasheed
TiVoPony,

I appreciate your forwardness on such issues.

I think you covered the many issues that would be asked, but as mentioned by others earlier -- a time of day calling window option should be available. We can try to get people to change to a cheaper calling plan, but before the 800 option is taken away, at least a time of day window should have been established.

If I was a user that had time of day rates and had no local number, I would most definitely unplug my TiVo except when I knew it was safe for it to call if I didn't like how it scheduled the next call. So, it might make a later call longer, but I wouldn't mind paying for a longer call as long as the rate was cheaper per minute.

Thanks.

Hi Rasheed,

Unfortunately that's not an option today. You may try forcing a call every now and again to keep the system calling on your preferred schedule.

Please understand that our systems depend on a random distribution of calls throughout the day. As such, the option to manually set the time of day for the call is not available.

We have focused our efforts on shortening those calls, so that the impact on everyone (800 users or not) is minimized.

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestion. I appreciate it.

Bob

POST #95 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 04:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah

TivoZorro,

What state-to-state rates do you have? It may be cheaper to call another state than Fayetteville.

Also, one option to consider would be using an Ethernet connection to your LAN (that you have, or that you could have right? ), or a even a serial port connection to a PC. A TurboNet card apparently costs about $65-70, so if long-distance charges run you $10 a month, the TurboNet would start saving you money in only 6-7 months...

If hacking your Tivo to add a TurboNet isn't something you want to do, you could also sell your existing Tivo (they regularly go for around $450 on eBay with the lifetime service), and pick up a 40 hour Series2 (with lifetime service) with that $450 plus $100, and have the newer hardware and 10 extra hours, and the ability to add a $5-10 Ethernet-USB adapter for non-phone connections.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

POST #96 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

andyf is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 05:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for andyf Visit andyf's homepage! Find more posts by andyf Add andyf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andyf
Long time TiVo user

And that's exactly what I'm doing. A 2 hour re-wire job so the cable modem/router is close to TiVo and my TurboNet card on the way, I'm hoping to do away with phone calls.

This will reduce the pool of beta testers though. Who's going to want weekly updates when you've got to pay for that 50 minute call.

POST #97 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wilsonp is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 05:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wilsonp Visit wilsonp's homepage! Find more posts by wilsonp Add wilsonp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wilsonp
NetMage

Re: 434

quote:
Originally posted by gobills
I used the POP locator and found these

434 POPs

Are any of these (10 hits) a local call from Danville?

I checked as well - no, they are not, though Lynchburg is only 50 minutes away...

POST #98 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

d_anders is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 08:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for d_anders Find more posts by d_anders Add d_anders to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
d_anders

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dial-Up Transition

quote:
Originally posted by FourOhFour

Well, thank you Captain Obvious!
Tell Clarkson University to get a better long distance carrier - oh, wait, I'm sure they get some kickback from AT&T... (NOTE: I have no evidence of this except the 15 cents a minute I pay - or don't, rather, I don't make long distance calls from school, I use my cell phone.)
I suspect 10-10 is blocked, but havn't tried.

Get a AT&T prepaid card from Sams club (or get a friend to get you one) and save yourself some trouble all together....

POST #99 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sandy is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 09:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sandy Find more posts by Sandy Add Sandy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sandy

When The monthly price went up 30%, wasn't one of the reasons given was that TiVo had to cover the cost of the 800# phone calls? I honestly can't remember. This doesn't affect me right now as I have Dtivos....

But, I am now glad I sold my SA TiVo. I was using the 800#. Having to swallow a 30% increase And the price of a daily long distance call is a little too much. I would have felt like I was being gouged by TiVo. I would have been mad. Waiting a few months after the price increase to impose another price increase (if you have to pay for the call, your cost of using Tivo has gone up...that's a price increase), doesn't make it taste any better.
It is almost as if the first price increase was the camel's nose in the tent.

If Tivo wants the user to pay the price of the daily call then they should eliminate the data collecting they do. If they want to use the data they collect to increase their revenue, they (Tivo) should pay for the phone call (if it isn't a free call).

It's a hard around here to sell someone on Tivo. First you buy it, then a lifetime or monthly subscription, and Oh-by the way- you have to pay for a long distance call everyday. It really does deter the casual user. I don't think telling people to change their ld plan or buy a calling card or do this or do that is going to sell more Tivos.

JUst my few thoughts

POST #100 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged