TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Feng Shui, Sheryl Crow, and Best buy. <<<

Pages (12): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dgh is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 12:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Turtleboy
But the Star is tresspassing! It's MY screen, and when I see the star on MY screen I feel violated!

In some states you're allowed to shoot trespassers. Check your local laws and wear safety goggles.

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 12:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

quote:
AND ADVERTISEMENTS I DON'T CARE ABOUT ARE TAKING UP SPACE ON MY HARDRIVE.
Er, how about taking up a little less blank space on this thread?

As someone else already pointed out, if you record commercial programming, many, many hours of ads you (presumably) don't care about are already taking up space on your hard drive.

quote:
If this happens ONE more time, I am going to unplug my Tivo and force myself to watch live TV from now on...
So you're willing to watch hours of TV commercials just so you don't have to see the star? Or give up 10 minutes of drive space??

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 12:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

Unhappy

Argh!!!!

I was kidding! It was a joke! I didn't believe a word that I said! I love my Tivo, the star, the Sheryl Crow videos, and even the ads. I was mocking the people who were complaining about it!

For those who missed it, at the way bottom of my post, I wrote [/Removes Tounge from Cheek]. That means, my post was "tounge in cheek."

Again, I was kidding.

Sheesh.

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lori is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 12:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lori Visit Lori's homepage! Find more posts by Lori Add Lori to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lori
TiVo Goddess

I, too, love the star. Like Gilligan to the Skipper, the star is my little buddy.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmdeane is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 01:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmdeane Find more posts by dmdeane Add dmdeane to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

quote:
Originally posted by Lori
I, too, love the star. Like Gilligan to the Skipper, the star is my little buddy.
Agreed. The only thing I am mildly annoyed at with TiVo is that I am still waiting for 3.0. But I'll live!

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 01:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lori

Are you talking about Ginger or the little yellow thing?

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Smoove B is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 01:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Smoove B Find more posts by Smoove B Add Smoove B to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoove B
Love Man

I've got no problem with TiVo making a little scratch- if you don't want that stuff on your hard drive feel free to format it.

When TiVo is making billions and then they start forcing ads before program playback- that will be the time to complain. Not now, when they're just getting started.

If they went out of business you'd be much more pissed off than you are with a little star at the bottom of your screen. Ugh, of all the piddly little things to bitch about...

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

quote:
Argh!!!!

I was kidding! It was a joke! Sheesh.

Argh!!! Sorry Turtleboy, I missed the tongue/cheek reference. You've got the TiVo rant down pat - you had me fooled!

PS - and I promise to never, ever, take anything you say seriously from now on.

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrcoaster is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 01:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrcoaster Find more posts by mrcoaster Add mrcoaster to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrcoaster
Tivomaniac

If they're going to do little ads like this, I don't think it's so bad. My girlfriend ignored it and I clicked on it just to see the Sheryl Crow video. The "behind the scenes rehearsal" was misleading as it was merely the bare bones of the band lip syncing to the studio track of "Soak Up the Sun." And studio track it was. Nothing remotely live about it. Now, if it really HAD been a soundcheck/rehearsal kind of thing....now THAT interests me. I'd have rather seen the actual video than a lip sync faux live thing like that. I can't even bother looking at the Feng Shui thing. What's next, Martha Stewart?

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pv is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 02:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pv Find more posts by pv Add pv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pv
Klein Bottle Washer

Mr. Coaster, the feng shui thing in the commercials is a joke. It's not like they're seriously telling you to build your A/V cabinet out of bamboo, or align your speakers to maximize chi, or anything like that. PV

P.S. That said, I liked the "video store guys" commercials a lot more. And the outtakes for those were laugh-out-loud funny.

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ahartman is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 02:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ahartman Find more posts by ahartman Add ahartman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ahartman
Space for Rent

quote:
Originally posted by dgh

In some states you're allowed to shoot trespassers. Check your local laws and wear safety goggles.

aaaaahahahahahahahaha.

That's the funniest thing I've read today! Thanks for the laugh!

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ursine1 is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 02:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ursine1 Visit ursine1's homepage! Find more posts by ursine1 Add ursine1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ursine1
That one guy

The BB commercials were *way* lame. But I did watch them, so I guess that bodes well for TiVo.

The Sheryl Crow thing was pretty lame as well. They mixed in a "live" beginning and end, but otherwise it was just her lip syncing to the studio track. Big deal.

The ability to delete after watching would be cool.

-- Paul Goormastic

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

willardcpa is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 03:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for willardcpa Find more posts by willardcpa Add willardcpa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Otto, this thread is really heating up, and beating the same old dead horse. Maybe this one should have been closed rather than the other one, it had more levity and was started 15 minutes before this one

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 04:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

williard: Generally I go with the one that has the most posts when closing a dupe topic. Oh well.

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TomK is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 05:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TomK Find more posts by TomK Add TomK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TomK

quote:
Originally posted by Otto
If you turn on backdoors and use the code: ThumbsDown, ThumbsUp, ThumbsDown, InstantReplay in the Now Playing list, you can see all of them.

Just how do you turn on backdoors for a 2.5 DirecTiVo? I followed the sequence in the 'Almost Complete Codes' list but it does not work for me. I entered the 'B D 2 5' in the 'search for title' screen (I cannot find 'Browse By Name' listed in the FAQ) and then hit the 'thumbs up' button. What am I doing wrong (besides being a dummy)??

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tiglore is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 06:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tiglore Find more posts by tiglore Add tiglore to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tiglore

First off, things could be allot worse then they are, just think what would happen if say the they combined pop up tivomatics with ads and a random timer. *Watches as people with tin foil on their heads do their best "Jiffy pop" impersonation* Seriously though, the ads in reserve space are not that bad, like has been stated before, set a recording for that time slot, or if you have a digital cable setup like myself, set your guide data download time for 4 am. I want the ability to give thumbs up and down to ads.

Music videos getting sent to my tivo is something I can live with and even enjoy (depending on the performer of course). Commercials, as long as I do not have to watch them, is not something that bothers me either, especially if it means keeping my rates reasonable. If the star bothers you, break out the sticky notes

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

EdH is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 06:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for EdH Find more posts by EdH Add EdH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EdH

Angry

I don't like the star. I don't want the star. I want the star to go away. Is that too much to ask?

Tivo ought to provide an opt out option. That would, or should, resolve the issue.

I wouldn't mind if they buried the star in the menu tree. Somewhere in Tivolution Mag. would be reasonable.

It's out of character for a warm and fuzzy company like Tivo to push this stuff in your face.

For myself, I will not watch the ad's and I will avoid doing business with any company that uses them. If enough of us took that position, Tivo and the potential advertisers would get the message.

I am also considering the suggestion made above to block the downloads by scheduling something else at the same time. This will end up costing Tivo since the stuff downloaded via programming is supposed to shorten the length of the "daily call" and thus save Tivo on communications costs.

Ed

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Max899 is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 07:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Max899 Find more posts by Max899 Add Max899 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Max899

Wink Is it just me?

or is painfully obvious that the "so-called" moderators and/or or Special Forum Members are paid to defend Tivo, Inc. and shamfully post disrespectful comments about others who might post anything to the contrary. I guess this will be the last time I ever get to post anything.

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Smoove B is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 07:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Smoove B Find more posts by Smoove B Add Smoove B to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoove B
Love Man

quote:
Originally posted by EdH

For myself, I will not watch the ad's and I will avoid doing business with any company that uses them. If enough of us took that position, Tivo and the potential advertisers would get the message.

Do you understand that TiVo needs to make more money than just subscriptions for guide data? Do you understand that TiVo could go out of business if advertisers get your "message"?

Good plan Ed...

If a little star in the main menu of your TiVo is the worst thing going on in your life right now consider yourself lucky.

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NFLnut is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 07:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NFLnut Find more posts by NFLnut Add NFLnut to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NFLnut
This Space For Rent

Wink

Used to like Sheryl Crow, I don't even mind "Soak Up the Sun," although a bit (?) repetitive. And I'm glad TiVo makes some cash on this deal. But my personal opinion about Ms Crow is that her best days are behind her.

And I DON'T think she's "HOT!"

Not that any of my opinion will change TiVo's campaign!

- Private First Class, TiVo Marine Corps

(2) Philips DSR6000R (1 x 149 hrs, 1 x 108 hrs)
(1) Philips HDR31201 (1 x 30 hrs)

HTTR!

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged