TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Feng Shui, Sheryl Crow, and Best buy. <<<

Pages (12): « First ... « Prev 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tivoli is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 04:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tivoli Find more posts by Tivoli Add Tivoli to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tivoli

Re: Tivo Goes Too Far

quote:
Originally posted by Max899
Folks,
I'm surprised to see that you folks are not outraged about Tivo FORCING commercial content onto our Tivo hard drive WITHOUT our permission or consent.

Is it me or it is very common to see members putting down tivo with double posts? One more interesting point is that these members have very few posts what gives?

I am outraged by new members talking too much BS in proportion to their contribution to the community.

POST #101 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

robertj49 is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 04:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for robertj49 Find more posts by robertj49 Add robertj49 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
robertj49

Angry

You guys are too generous. I don't want this....crap..on my TIVO. I don't want to see the star, which draws attention to it on my main screen, and I do not want my TIVO cluttered with Best Buy ads. How do I get rid of this stuff!!

POST #102 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Uther is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Uther Find more posts by Uther Add Uther to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Uther
King of Britons

quote:
Originally posted by robertj49
You guys are too generous. I don't want this....crap..on my TIVO. I don't want to see the star, which draws attention to it on my main screen, and I do not want my TIVO cluttered with Best Buy ads. How do I get rid of this stuff!!

I think they probably talk about this in the Underground, but here's how to get rid of the star once and for all:
1. Remove the hard drive from TiVo.
2. Put the hard drive in your PC.
3. Create 2 partitions on the drive - both equal size.
4. Format one partition as FAT32 and the other as NTFS.
5. Replace the hard drive into your TiVo.

That's it! No more stars. No more ads. No more Sheryl Crow videos.

Note: This will cause you to lose all recordings currently on TiVo, as well as all future scheduled recordings, the ability to pause live TV, all season passes, all channel guide data, all wishlists, and the ability to use TiVo in any way.

POST #103 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Pipian is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 05:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Pipian Find more posts by Pipian Add Pipian to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pipian

I already got 3+4! :-P!! I'll tell you what they are if interested..

POST #104 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mtchamp is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 06:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mtchamp Find more posts by mtchamp Add mtchamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mtchamp

I didn't like the star when TiVo ran the Lexus promotion. I found it very annoying and was glad when it went away. This time around. I really don't care. It doesn't bother me at all. The first time around, I felt it was so rude of TiVo to mess up my menu with that yellow star. This time around with Best Buy, I guess because I know it's just advertising and I can just choose to ignore it or click and watch it, it means nothing.

I think the yellow star does this to people the first time you get a taste of it, then you realize it's means nothing unless it's something you want to look at, otherwise you can ignore it. TiVo makes some extra bucks they sorely need and the TiVo owner decides if they will participate or not. When the Best Buy Advertainment promotion was announced by TiVo, I actually was looking forward to it. I chose to watch the video and ads a couple of times and it was painless.

POST #105 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 06:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

quote:
Originally posted by Damian

Maybe a hot pink triangle? That would certainly get some folks here obsessively clicking and others obsessively complaining. Since we already have the latter maybe they could use more of the former.

How about a mini, dancing Britney. That would be HOT.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #106 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

marksman is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 07:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for marksman Find more posts by marksman Add marksman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marksman

I never tire of the outrage expressed by people over this. It always gives me a good laugh.

Edit: I would like to [Shop at Best Buy], support the opinions, [Shop at Best Buy], that others have made here as well. [Best Buy is Great]. Fact is it is pretty easy to ignore. [BEST BUY BEST BUY BEST BUY], and I have found I will watch the Star Content [Go to Best Buy] more often than I would a regular commercial. [Best Buy Gift Cards]

I think this has a real potential to capture views for advertisers that they would otherwise miss. [Best Buy Weekly Specials]. I watch almost no regular commercials at all. [We put the BEST in Best Buy]. I have seen several of these star commercials. [Best Buy Exclusive Distributor of TiVo brand Tivos] They key is compelling content, some kind of draw [Best Buy], that gets me to take a look. That is 90% of the battle. [Best Buy Best Buy]

As others have said, we have enough enemies trying to control what we can and can not watch, let us not attack our friends. [Best Buy is Your Friend.]

Last edited by marksman on 05-23-2002 at 07:58 AM

POST #107 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NFLnut is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 08:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NFLnut Find more posts by NFLnut Add NFLnut to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NFLnut
This Space For Rent

Thumbs down

-- People dying of cancer

-- Planes crashing into buildings killing thousands of people

AND

-- People getting bent over some STUPID PIDDLY LITTLE YELLOW FREAKING STAR!! ONE THAT THEY COULD JUST AS EASILY IGNORE!

Two of the three items above are things to really worry about. The third is a total loss of perspective!

Hate it if you want, complain if you want, but don't be surprised when you get the reactions from the rest of us who realize that in order for TiVo to continue the TiVolution (and NOT render OUR boxes obsolete!), it will require them to place a yellow star in the NP area once and again! Handle it!

- Private First Class, TiVo Marine Corps

(2) Philips DSR6000R (1 x 149 hrs, 1 x 108 hrs)
(1) Philips HDR31201 (1 x 30 hrs)

HTTR!

POST #108 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Avian is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 09:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Avian Visit Avian's homepage! Find more posts by Avian Add Avian to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Avian
Tired and Unhappy

I really liked the video, very nice quality on my dolby setup, thanks TiVo!

Blog

I wonder how we change if we can in this land
I wonder how many mountains we'd move if we band together
Us priveleged Americans
I wonder what we'd change in this land cause we can
Even with western centricity this rampant
Us ugly Americans

POST #109 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rasheed is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 09:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rasheed Find more posts by rasheed Add rasheed to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rasheed
Advanced Member

(Edit: Fixed links.)

UK Situation:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...&threadid=59740

From TiVo_Ted:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...2262#post512262

Very interesting.

Last edited by rasheed on 05-23-2002 at 11:57 PM

POST #110 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ronnymike is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 10:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ronnymike Find more posts by ronnymike Add ronnymike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronnymike

Cheryl and Best Buy are great

This video is great, the BB ad leaves a little to be desired, But I wish TIVO gave us more of this stuff. It was a pleasant surprise to see this on my Tivo the other day, people that don't like dont watch it. GO TIVO

POST #111 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

d_anders is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 10:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for d_anders Find more posts by d_anders Add d_anders to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
d_anders

Wink

As long as they use a portion of the harddrive that's not part of my base unit's advertised "hours" (in my case, 30), then I don't care what TiVo decides to place on the machine as long they don't force me to watch it, but make it compelling and I just might take a peek

The "pushed" content should also to be "G" rated, or otherwise locked down with parental controls so kids don't see this before Mom or Dad...

POST #112 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 04:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Xaa Find more posts by Xaa Add Xaa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xaa
TiVo Forum Special Member

Rasheed, you're links aren't working for me. Can you give a synopsis?

Xaa

POST #113 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rasheed is offline Old Post 05-24-2002 12:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rasheed Find more posts by rasheed Add rasheed to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rasheed
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Xaa
Rasheed, you're links aren't working for me. Can you give a synopsis?

Xaa

Yeah.

The TiVo UK moderators have been reorganizing the threads on this hot topic. I have fixed the links.

Anyway, TiVo UK rolled out 2.5.x and that included the same TCP technology that we have in the US (for the Lexus, Best Buy, etc. promotions).

The first use of this just occured over there with the TiVo recording a show into the reserved space from the BBC. Complaints are very similar to this thread including the issue of TCP item on menu and recording of content not specifically requested by user (aside from normal suggestions).

Rasheed

POST #114 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Joey303 is offline Old Post 05-24-2002 12:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Joey303 Find more posts by Joey303 Add Joey303 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joey303
Yep, I am!

MEMO TO MARKETING:

I hope that you guys realize, in retrospect, that this was not the smoothest implementation of forced programming, especially in the UK, where they had no advance warning in their Forums.

In my opinion, the best way to implement this would have been to use Movie Trailers as the content for the initial launch of the TiVo Central Menu (TCM) item or, even, Movie Reviews. Then, there would have been far more people saying: Hey, I like this feature, even if it is forced-in-my-face, because it's adding value.

Instead, in the US, you've used the TCM for commercials, which go against the very nature of we early TiVo users. In the UK, you used it for an apparently mediocre Australian sitcom of which, because the BBC always runs late in that hour, TiVo missed the show's ending. Too funny.

It was destined to backfire.

POST #115 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

EdH is offline Old Post 05-24-2002 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for EdH Find more posts by EdH Add EdH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EdH

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by rasheed
(Edit: Fixed links.)

UK Situation:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...&threadid=59740

From TiVo_Ted:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...2262#post512262

Very interesting.

I just reviewed the first link.

This is outrageous! It is just SO against the spirit of Tivo.

The allure of Tivo is that it puts us in control. Till now.

And this business about Tivo only using reserved space is, I think, bunk. Didn't one of the past upgrades (2.0 or 2.5?) increase the amount of reserved space at the cost of picture quality? That was MY space the took.

Tivo is treading on thin ice. They could blow the good will of the community over this.

As with that damned star... Why don't they let us opt out?!

Ed

POST #116 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeTiVo is offline Old Post 05-24-2002 12:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoeTiVo Visit JoeTiVo's homepage! Find more posts by JoeTiVo Add JoeTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeTiVo
HD or Tivo? Hmm...

quote:
Originally posted by EdH

As with that damned star... Why don't they let us opt out?!

Geeshh... is it really that hard to comprehend? Best Buy (or any other advertiser) wouldn't pay TiVo squat if us users could circumvent the spots entirely. We already get around normal commercials, so they're trying to find better way to advertise that will be beneficial to both the advertiser and the consumer.

My Home Theater

POST #117 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 05-24-2002 01:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
Originally posted by Joey303
In my opinion, the best way to implement this would have been to use Movie Trailers as the content for the initial launch of the TiVo Central Menu (TCM) item or, even, Movie Reviews. Then, there would have been far more people saying: Hey, I like this feature, even if it is forced-in-my-face, because it's adding value.

This is not the initial launch. They've done it twice before. One of those times didn't work out well due to technical problems.

The one that didn't work was a couple months ago for the Academy Awards. And yes, it was mostly movie trailers.

The other was the Lexus thing where you could enter to win a Lexus ES300 by watching one of four Lexus ads and answering a few questions about them online.

There was another one with BMW stuff, but it was only in the Showcases, not as a menu item.

POST #118 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

EdH is offline Old Post 05-24-2002 01:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for EdH Find more posts by EdH Add EdH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EdH

quote:
Originally posted by JoeTiVo

Geeshh... is it really that hard to comprehend? Best Buy (or any other advertiser) wouldn't pay TiVo squat if us users could circumvent the spots entirely. We already get around normal commercials, so they're trying to find better way to advertise that will be beneficial to both the advertiser and the consumer.

Of course you're analysis is correct. That's exactly why they won't let us opt out.

What you're saying is we're a captive audience and they're going to sell us!

That may be OK with you. Not me.

Ed

POST #119 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Alcatraz is offline Old Post 05-24-2002 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alcatraz Find more posts by Alcatraz Add Alcatraz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alcatraz
Occasionally Helpful

Would you rather they sell the entire background of menus.....like a billboard?!?!? Now THAT would be intrusive!

POST #120 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged