TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Ok, can someone explain "Charmed" to me? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TiVaholic is offline Old Post 05-25-2002 09:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVaholic Find more posts by TiVaholic Add TiVaholic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVaholic
User Name for Sale

Question Ok, can someone explain "Charmed" to me?

Ok, I was just about to go to "Now Playing" on Thursday, when I saw the show on. It looked good, so I recorded it. I'm watching it now, but some things I don't get. Ido understand who the 3 girls are, Piper, Pheobe is the hot one, I'm pretty sure. Then there's that other one, no idea about her name. Who are these 2 guys in it? And does each witch have a certian power? Like Piper makes things stop? What are the other 4 people's powers? How did they get the powers? It doesn't seem like they were born with them. Any other information that might help me understand the show would be nice, too.

Thanks

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 05-25-2002 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

First this depends on how old the show you were watching is. Their powers have changed somewhat. If the third one was Prue (Shannen Dougherty, ex-90210 brat) then you saw an older one and some of this many not yet apply and may be spoilerish if you care. If it was Paige (Rose McGowan, pasty white chick) it was newer.

Assuming you saw a current one, this is how it breaks down:

Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) Gets visions when she touches things. More recently she's been able to float, not yet very good at it.
Piper: Freezes things. Recently became able to blow things up as well.
Paige: Half sister to the others. Her daddy was a "whitelighter" (see below) so she can do things whitelighters can do.

Though they can do spells and whatnot on their own, collectively they have the "power of three" which some spells require. They didn't have the powers at birth, I guess they developed them later, like at puberty or something. Paige didn't know of her powers until Prue was killed and the other two sisters sought Paige out.

Cole: Was half-demon half-human, originally sent to kill the sisters. Fell in love with Phoebe, reformed, eventually lost his demon powers in a battle but later became "The Source", supposedly the biggest evilist evil. Got vanquished, was sent to a demon dimension where he collected powers of other demons. Whether he's good or bad now isn't clear.

Leo: The witches "whitelighter", an ex-dead guy resurrected by the good forces to help protect the witches. He can heal the wounded and can "orb" (sparkly teleporting) from one place to another, usually up to wherever the good buy bosses hang out to get information.

I don't know why I watch this show, it isn't all that good. It isn't even the women, they're not all that hot. It's probably not worth getting involved in.

Last edited by DrStrange on 05-25-2002 at 10:57 PM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Damian is offline Old Post 05-25-2002 11:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Damian Find more posts by Damian Add Damian to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Damian
Mmmm, pie!

quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange
Paige: Half sister to the others. Her daddy was a "whitelighter" (see below) so she can do things whitelighters can do.

Paige can't heal, as far as I know, though I'm a bit behind. Basically she can orb herself out of danger, and orb objects to herself.
quote:
I don't know why I watch this show, it isn't all that good. It isn't even the women, they're not all that hot. It's probably not worth getting involved in.

Well, when it's good it's really good, but it can also be pretty cheesy. I think it just has that unnamed quality that sucks you in. It's one of the few series I collect on VideoCD (and I have some as SVCD).

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVaholic is offline Old Post 05-25-2002 11:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVaholic Find more posts by TiVaholic Add TiVaholic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVaholic
User Name for Sale

Thank you! It's a bit clearer now. I did see a recent one, it was on Thursday night with the Chamelon controlling Pheobe. It deffinately was page, that rings a bell, and she was somewhat pale and seemed timid. Cole...I think he was in the show and was married to Piper? She kept saying something about wanting a baby. So, they can do other spells with the assistance of that book?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 05-25-2002 11:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Damian
Paige can't heal, as far as I know, though I'm a bit behind.

I do remember her healing someone I think, though she may have been doing it with Leo, helping him heal some particularly nasty something. It's not a regular occurence though, apparently it's something the writers don't yet have her really knowing how to do.

quote:
Originally posted by TiVaholic
Cole...I think he was in the show and was married to Piper? She kept saying something about wanting a baby.

Cole is/was married to Phoebe, though it happened after Cole had become the Source but before any of them knew it for sure (although Paige suspected). Cole wooed Phoebe into unwittingly having a "dark" wedding as part of a plan to produce an evil offspring.

quote:
So, they can do other spells with the assistance of that book?

I don't think they need to book to do the spells, it's just reference material on demons and otherworldy entities. Sometimes the spells come from the book, sometimes they make up the rhymes themselves.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unoriginal is offline Old Post 05-25-2002 11:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for unoriginal Find more posts by unoriginal Add unoriginal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unoriginal
$29.95

Check TNT if you want to watch earlier seasons. I think they are running them there.

All words above are not actual sentences but random letters, spaces and the occasional punctuation. I can not be held responsible for the meaning you get from these random letters. I can however be held responsible for the spaces.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

holee is offline Old Post 05-26-2002 12:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for holee Visit holee's homepage! Find more posts by holee Add holee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
holee
Uncertain

I haven't liked it since Doherty left. Alyssa Milano annoys me.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Graymalkin is offline Old Post 05-26-2002 12:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Graymalkin Find more posts by Graymalkin Add Graymalkin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Graymalkin
Half-Wit Pundit

The Book of Shadows is more than just a demonology reference manual -- there ARE spells in it that the three Charmed Ones have used from time to time.

This show is strictly a gulty pleasure. Its mythology is fairly intricate and occasionally inspired, but it frequently breals its own rules. (For example, whitelighters are forbidden to fall in love with the witches they protect, but Leo and Piper, after enduring much anguish, were allowed to get married.)The three leads are attractive and often wear clothes two sizes too small, and the sisters' characterizations and relationships are pretty neatly written -- but they're not great actors, and even great actors would have trouble making the awful dialogue work.

I also miss Shannen Doherty. But they decided that Alyssa Milano was the main draw and made her first among equals. A bad choice, in my opinion.

Having said that, I still watch it. A man's entitled to a few guilty pleasures, isn't he?

I know it's been said, many times, many ways, but you're the man, Gray! -- Thaed
Yes, Gray is one hell of a guy. -- Mavenelle

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DJRobX is offline Old Post 05-26-2002 09:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DJRobX Find more posts by DJRobX Add DJRobX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

I really like the show, no guilt involved, but it hasn't been a priority for me to watch since Doherty left. Episodes have been falling off my TiVo left and right. May end up watching them during the summer TV dry spell (no pun intended).

-- Rob

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DanT is offline Old Post 05-27-2002 08:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DanT Find more posts by DanT Add DanT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DanT
In Absentia

Count me in the "guilty pleasures" department.

One brief correction to DrStrange's explanations: The girls DID have their powers at birth, but their grandmother (also a witch) decided to "bind" their powers after their mother (another witch) died. Grams decided it was better to protect them by not having their powers accidentally exposed, and making them susceptible to demon attacks while they were still very young (about 5 and under). When they all got back together in the house after Grams' funeral, the binding spell was broken and they discovered their powers.

SB: "Captain, do you mind if I say Grace?"
MR: "Only if you say it out loud."

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

biker is offline Old Post 05-27-2002 08:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for biker Find more posts by biker Add biker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biker
Advanced Member

I enjoy the show.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BattMan is offline Old Post 05-27-2002 11:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BattMan Visit BattMan's homepage! Find more posts by BattMan Add BattMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BattMan
Gig Em Aggies!!

(I dont watch this) QUESTION:

Can anyone tell me about the girl that has played "Julie" (Debbie Kellner) in a few episodes? I went to HS with her.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rob Helmerichs is offline Old Post 05-27-2002 05:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Helmerichs Visit Rob Helmerichs's homepage! Find more posts by Rob Helmerichs Add Rob Helmerichs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Helmerichs
Um...

quote:
Originally posted by BattMan

Can anyone tell me about the girl that has played "Julie" (Debbie Kellner) in a few episodes? I went to HS with her.

Well, shouldn't you be telling us about her?!?

How was she at algebra?

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVaholic is offline Old Post 05-27-2002 06:19 PM
TiVaholic
User Name for Sale

quote:

Does this help?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

marksman is offline Old Post 05-27-2002 10:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for marksman Find more posts by marksman Add marksman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marksman

LOL. I have probably seen this show a dozen times, have a season pass, that rarely gets recorded because of conflicts...

But I can honestly say I had no idea what powers any of them had.

I don't know what I was paying attention to....

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DanT is offline Old Post 05-28-2002 02:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DanT Find more posts by DanT Add DanT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DanT
In Absentia

This is a total guess, but I'm thinking that "Julie" might be the girl that works at Piper's nightclub, P3. I can't think of anyone else that would have been in 3 episodes, except possibly Phoebe's boss.

SB: "Captain, do you mind if I say Grace?"
MR: "Only if you say it out loud."

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dawghows is offline Old Post 05-28-2002 07:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dawghows Find more posts by Dawghows Add Dawghows to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dawghows

This show was a guilty pleasure for my wife and me, until it began to be the "Phoebe and Cole Show". Then when Shannen left the show (which, in any logical universe, should have been a clear improvement), the show got even worse. I wholeheartedly agree with "holee" that Alyssa Milano is annoying. She might be the single most annoying bad actress on TV today.

Now that the regular TV Season has ended, though, we'll probably catch a few episodes. I'm really glad to hear Cole is a bad guy again (which I didn't know before reading this thread); that can only help.

BTW-For me personally, it is very simple to nail down exactly what appeals to me about the show: Piper. I agree that no one on the show is a good actor/actress, but Holly Marie Combs definitely has that "unnamed quality" that Damian mentioned.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Damian is offline Old Post 05-28-2002 10:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Damian Find more posts by Damian Add Damian to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Damian
Mmmm, pie!

quote:

Can't tell you anything about her character in Charmed, her episodes are newer than I've caught up to. I can tell you she played "Topless Woman" in Night at the Roxbury, if you wanted to rekindle some high school fantasies.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

holee is offline Old Post 05-29-2002 09:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for holee Visit holee's homepage! Find more posts by holee Add holee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
holee
Uncertain

quote:
Originally posted by Dawghows
This show was a guilty pleasure for my wife and me, until it began to be the "Phoebe and Cole Show". Then when Shannen left the show (which, in any logical universe, should have been a clear improvement), the show got even worse. I wholeheartedly agree with "holee" that Alyssa Milano is annoying. She might be the single most annoying bad actress on TV today.

Now that the regular TV Season has ended, though, we'll probably catch a few episodes. I'm really glad to hear Cole is a bad guy again (which I didn't know before reading this thread); that can only help.

BTW-For me personally, it is very simple to nail down exactly what appeals to me about the show: Piper. I agree that no one on the show is a good actor/actress, but Holly Marie Combs definitely has that "unnamed quality" that Damian mentioned.

Holly is awesome. I like her because she doesn't come off as a smug snob, and seems very down-to-earth (well character-wise) in every role she's played. Plus she doesn't seem to play up any sort of "exotic beauty angle."

As for Alyssa, I'm trying to figure out whether WHO'S THE BOSS or DOUBLE DRAGON was the height of her acting career. I'm leaning towards WTB because she was at least spunky then.

I didn't know Cole was a bad guy either. And I don't care. Although they did avoid him being saved by Alyssa's love, which I'll have to give them credit for as it's marginally non-cliched.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Marc is offline Old Post 05-31-2002 01:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Marc Visit Marc's homepage! Find more posts by Marc Add Marc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marc
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange
They didn't have the powers at birth, I guess they developed them later, like at puberty or something.

Note to self... why are you bothering with correcting this point? It's only a TV show!

Actually, they did have the powers as children. They did at least one time-travel shows where the adults actually saw themselves as kids. Their grandmother cast a spell on the kids to remove their powers until their mother died (or some time around that point) at which point their powers started coming back to them. She did this to protect them from the forces that would want to cause them harm while they were children and unable to protect themselves well.

--Marc

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged