TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> So who here doesn't like Enterprise (spoilers) <<<

Pages (6): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DLiquid is offline Old Post 06-06-2002 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DLiquid Visit DLiquid's homepage! Find more posts by DLiquid Add DLiquid to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DLiquid
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Pan Chun
That's the biggest problem here, Pony...a lot of us "really, really wanted to like it". I think that's what makes it's overall failure such a big disappointment.

Just curious Pan, did you like TNG, DS9, or Voyager in their first seasons? Even TNG had a pretty bad first season (IMO), but it seems like you've already written off Enterprise as sucking for eternity. I can see people disliking Enterprise if they aren't Star Trek fans. But for anyone who liked TNG, DS9, and was able to endure Voyager I would expect they would at least "not hate" Enterprise. I personally think it is the best Star Trek show since TNG, although some seasons of DS9 were better. Jeffrey Combs (Weyoun) as the Andorian "Shran" is just classic.

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DLiquid is offline Old Post 06-06-2002 12:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DLiquid Visit DLiquid's homepage! Find more posts by DLiquid Add DLiquid to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DLiquid

It's funny Pan, because I agree with pretty much everything you just wrote. I can totally see where you're coming from, but I guess all that stuff doesn't stop me from liking the show. I can't help myself.

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JYoung is offline Old Post 06-06-2002 01:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JYoung Find more posts by JYoung Add JYoung to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JYoung

quote:
... And who are these aggressive, emotionally-charged Vulcans? Would their society REALLY change THAT MUCH in just about 150 years? Possible, I suppose...but unlikely, considering how long-lived they are.

Actually Enterprise is only about 100 years before Kirk and company....
But this is my pet peeve with Enterprise. The way they've handled the Vulcans. I was incredibly offended by the Vulcan who pulled a phaser on Archer and threatened to kill him and almost as offended by the fact that Archer dropped said Vulcan with one punch to the jaw ....
Yeah, last time Kirk tried that with Spock he got his head handed to him....

The Vulcans as the bad guys is a blatent symptom of lazy writing. It's easier to write one dimensional bad guys then actually people who just may be mistaken......

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" - Mavenelle

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stormsweeper is offline Old Post 06-06-2002 01:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stormsweeper Find more posts by stormsweeper Add stormsweeper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

quote:
Holodecks were an amazing advancement for Riker. They've already seen TWO in Archer's day.

And Trip has helped repair a control computer for one of them.

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jimborst is offline Old Post 06-06-2002 03:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jimborst Find more posts by jimborst Add jimborst to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimborst

Sorry, but I'm going to disagree with most here. I like Enterprise, I look forward to a new one each week, I know some are not the best, but still they've been pretty good. Yes the hologram has been a problem, but I can over look it.

Now for the big disagreement points, I found DS9 to be the most boring Star Trek ever, for a while it just became a big soap opera in space. I quit watching during that period. Voyager was about the same boring, I also quit taping that towards the end (yes taping before TiVo). I thought that TNG was by far the best series Star Trek has had. Enterprise is still an anticipated show for me.

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 06-06-2002 06:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

I like Enterprise, but yeah, they have been going a bit silly with some of the tech stuff. They need much more character development. You can't get into cool tech stuff with every show. However, it's fairly balanced so far.

One or two episodes set all on the ship would help. You can't visit strange new worlds every week.

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pjhartman is offline Old Post 06-06-2002 08:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pjhartman Find more posts by pjhartman Add pjhartman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pjhartman
excitable boy

I like Enterprise, just because it's a new Trek series.

Unfortunately, my cable company doesn't carry UPN. I have to have a friend tape the show for me weekly. That works about 50% of the time, as it's forgotten, the VCR is set up wrong, etc.

Makes one appreciate TiVo all the more.

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

shaunrose is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 04:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for shaunrose Find more posts by shaunrose Add shaunrose to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaunrose

Enterprise needs to get better

Enterprise has been pretty weak. TNG started slow, as did DS9, but they both found ways to become exciting. Hopefully, Enterprise will do the same. The last few episodes showed some glimmer of hope -- I like the story arc they are developing with the interference from the future. I just hope the writing for the long-term story is better than the stand alone episodes.

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LoadStar is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 09:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoadStar Find more posts by LoadStar Add LoadStar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I hate to say it - but I second, third, and so on everything that Pan Chun said. The powers that be set this series in the past, in an attempt to get away from stuff that had been done to death in TNG, DS9, and VOY - but then in one season alone we've gotten holodecks, Ferengi, time travel, Universal Translator, and other things that they insisted we wouldn't have.

I still watch it - but for the first Trek series, the reruns that are on during the summer - I've taken a pass on. They were only OK the first time around, I don't think I could take watching them again. Instead, I've taken up watching the local DS9 reruns - and more than ever, I think that it was the best Star Trek show of them all.

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 02:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
Just make sure you have plenty of those magical hull-sealing mashed potatoes!

There is nothing wrong with using mashed potatoes to seal a pinhole leak. It'll work.

Air pressure at sea level is 14.7 pounds per square inch. A pinhole for, say, photography purposes (a *large* pinhole), is 0.0073 inches in diameter, giving it an area of 0.00004185... square inches. Multiply by 14.7 to get the pressure it needs to hold, and you get 0.000615... pounds. So, mashed potatoes has PLENTY of stickiness to hold that measly amount of pressure. I exert a greater difference in air pressure by blowing on my soup.

And that assumed the starship is pressurized to sea level pressure. It's probably not. The space shuttle, for example, only runs at a little more than half that. Space suits for EVAs run at 4.3 lbs of pressure, all oxygen, which is why they require prebreathing.

So, you see, all those years of bad science in scifi movies have steered you wrong. So when something that is actually CORRECT comes along, you get all upset.

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

net114 is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 09:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for net114 Visit net114's homepage! Find more posts by net114 Add net114 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
net114
Combat Rescue

Well I enjoy Enterprise...I just am very hopeful it will become MORE than it is right now. TNG wasnt much to watch the first two seasons. I am not saying the Enterprise has not had some good shows- it has. Its just hard to really pinpoint a real 'direction' for the show. Kirk and crew, and TNG for that matter-- operated under the "where no one has gone before" premise. Enterprise started with, "lets just stay out here a while since the first show is done".

Enterprise now needs a real MISSION. Tell the audience what you are doing, and what you plan on doing. (Not just "can we make warp 5?")

I've seen alot of talk about people wanting a new animated Trek series-- this would be cool in primetime. Something modern, like in anime style. They could also feature all Trek eras.

Ah! To dream!!

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stormsweeper is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 11:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stormsweeper Find more posts by stormsweeper Add stormsweeper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

quote:
Originally posted by Otto

There is nothing wrong with using mashed potatoes to seal a pinhole leak. It'll work.

I'm still 99% sure it was suppoed to be a joke on the quality of the food. It looked like Trip had taken exactly 1 bite out of them. Despite it being about the only food available for them to eat.

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JYoung is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 01:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JYoung Find more posts by JYoung Add JYoung to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JYoung

quote:
Originally posted by net114
... I am not saying the Enterprise has not had some good shows- it has....

When?
In the first season of Enterprise, there is no way I could rate any episode better than a B-/B. At least all of the other series had at least one episode I could rank better than a B+ in the first season.
Of course with John Shiban coming onboard perhaps now they can blatently recycle X-Files plots....

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

net114 is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 10:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for net114 Visit net114's homepage! Find more posts by net114 Add net114 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
net114
Combat Rescue

So a good show is not one that gets above "B"? That was always a good grade when I was in school

Before I defend several episodes, please give me the facts about why shows were not good. Not subjective opinion, facts. If I'm going to spend time defending shows, I'd like to know we don't just have a disagreement of subjective opinion.

(And yes, I thought of at least 2-4 shows I would give an "A" to).

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JYoung is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 12:49 AM
JYoung

think of it this way....
Episodes like "A Measure of a Man",the "Best of Both Worlds", "The Doomsday Machine", "Journey to Babel", "Duet", and "In the Pale Moonlight" get an A.

Episodes like "Spock's Brain", "Symbiosis", "Night Terrors", and "Move Along Home" get an F.

I can do a grading of each episode of Enterprise but that will take a little time to write up.
In the meantime, Pan postedthis site which is mostly correct in it's criticisms....

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

net114 is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 01:12 AM
net114
Combat Rescue

Well the site you pointed to is basically an "anti ENT" site through and through. EVERY review starts with "couldn't they have just" or "the idiotic writers...", etc. That is not what a review is about. I saw no experience that would qualify those reviews as being "mostly correct".
Look, I'm no ENT lover -- but on the other hand I am not going to go with the blanket notion that every single show was bad.

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Uther is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 03:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Uther Find more posts by Uther Add Uther to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Uther
King of Britons

quote:
Originally posted by net114
Look, I'm no ENT lover -- but on the other hand I am not going to go with the blanket notion that every single show was bad.

How about, "Every single show was not very good." ?

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TDSLB is offline Old Post 06-12-2002 03:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TDSLB Find more posts by TDSLB Add TDSLB to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDSLB

I still think ENT is dug itself a hole that they are allready going to have a hard time getting themselves out of. The "Trek World" has pretty much disbanded them from the Trek Series as far as I can tell. Course, they did that to Voyager towards the end and still it's thought of with some respect. I really do hope that it gets better but, They have some major climbing to do before to many people will accept them again

Actually, what I think that they should do is to completely dump the STAR TREK thing that they have going. They've tryed to make a reference to things that haven't even happened yet. If they would stop trying to write to accompany the other STAR TREK series into there story lines I think that they might be able to make a decent show. Course they couldn't do that very well now seeing as the have allready said that "we are this" and there's not much anything else they can do without alienating the audience...I think...

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DLiquid is offline Old Post 06-12-2002 03:41 AM
DLiquid

quote:
Originally posted by TDSLB
The "Trek World" has pretty much disbanded them from the Trek Series as far as I can tell.
What is the basis for this statement? Do you have any evidence to support this?

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TDSLB is offline Old Post 06-12-2002 08:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TDSLB Find more posts by TDSLB Add TDSLB to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDSLB

quote:
Originally posted by DLiquid
What is the basis for this statement? Do you have any evidence to support this?

just from talking around. I ment that in the sense that the general fan public.
Everyone here seems to be at least at edge with them. Besides that. Everyone else I talk to about it isn't real thrilled with it either, including me, if you couldn't tell...

BTW when do I ever have any evidence for the things I say

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged