TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Tivo, Best Buy, telemarketers, the FTC, and $500 in your pocket. <<<

Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Belmont is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 03:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Belmont Find more posts by Belmont Add Belmont to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Belmont

Angry Tivo, Best Buy, telemarketers, the FTC, and $500 in your pocket.

Recently I sent a letter to Tivo asking them to not use my phone lines to send me any more advertisements.

The Federal Trade Commission has established certain guidelines telephone solicitors must follow. Telemarketers that violate the rule and continue to call your house are fined $500. The DTC takes a $30 handling fee and the rest is paid to the consumer. Each time the telemarketer violates the Do Not Call order the fine is tripled. i.e. 2nd offense is $1,500, the 3rd is $4,500. (http://www.ftc.gov)

Tivo is using five percent of the space on my Tivo for unsolicited advertisements. Furthermore the delivery of the promotional material adversely affects the stability of the Tivo unit, resulting in the unit hanging hard as many as a dozen times in day.

I get a newspaper delivered--the accounts receivable department is allowed to call me, but the subscription renewal department is on my Do Not Call list. Just because I do business with the newspaper does not give them the right to use my phone to try to sell me anything. Why should Tivo be any different?

As anyone else had any luck with stopping Tivo from delivering unsolicited advertisements?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Pan Chun is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 03:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Pan Chun Find more posts by Pan Chun Add Pan Chun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pan Chun
Gone now

You pay for that newspaper...but it still has ads in it. Your premise is flawed. Besides, the concept of protection from telemarketing applies to calls YOU RECEIVE...not to calls YOU MAKE. Please put your efforts into something positive...like finding a cure for cancer or wiping out terrorism.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dilorc is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 03:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dilorc Find more posts by dilorc Add dilorc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dilorc
Nice Guy

Nobody calls your Tivo. Your Tivo calls in everyday. I doubt the FTC will give you $500 for a phone call you are making.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lordsutch is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 03:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lordsutch Visit lordsutch's homepage! Find more posts by lordsutch Add lordsutch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lordsutch
He's also a client!

Re: Tivo, Best Buy, telemarketers, the FTC, and $500 in your pocket.

quote:
Originally posted by Belmont
Recently I sent a letter to Tivo asking them to not use my phone lines to send me any more advertisements.

The Federal Trade Commission has established certain guidelines telephone solicitors must follow. Telemarketers that violate the rule and continue to call your house are fined $500. The DTC takes a $30 handling fee and the rest is paid to the consumer. Each time the telemarketer violates the Do Not Call order the fine is tripled. i.e. 2nd offense is $1,500, the 3rd is $4,500. (http://www.ftc.gov)

Tivo is using five percent of the space on my Tivo for unsolicited advertisements. Furthermore the delivery of the promotional material adversely affects the stability of the Tivo unit, resulting in the unit hanging hard as many as a dozen times in day.

I get a newspaper delivered--the accounts receivable department is allowed to call me, but the subscription renewal department is on my Do Not Call list. Just because I do business with the newspaper does not give them the right to use my phone to try to sell me anything. Why should Tivo be any different?

As anyone else had any luck with stopping Tivo from delivering unsolicited advertisements?

"Do Not Call" statutes wouldn't apply to TiVo anyway, since they have already established a business relationship with you. Besides which, you are technically calling them, and the ads aren't delivered by telephone. Furthermore, if you don't want the ads, you have the option of selling your unit and/or discontinuing your service.

Your analogy is fatally flawed. My advice: go troll somewhere else.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JYoung is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 03:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JYoung Find more posts by JYoung Add JYoung to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JYoung
TiVo Forum Special Member

I don't think it will work. Technically, TiVo isn't using the phone line to deliver the advertising. It's being recorded off of the Discovery channel. Then when your TiVo calls in, the content is activated.
Why not just try not watching it? Works pretty well for me....

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" - Mavenelle

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 03:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh

quote:
Originally posted by Pan Chun
You pay for that newspaper...but it still has ads in it. Your premise is flawed.

Flawed? - his next question is "Why should Tivo be any different?" I think flawed is an understatement. That was a total backfire.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Belmont is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Belmont Find more posts by Belmont Add Belmont to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Belmont

If the content is no downloaded to my unit, why does my unit hang over five times a day in the week before one of those yellow stars appears? When would my Tivo record the show from Discovery? I have my Tivo set to record 24 hours of programming a day.

I make the call from my phone only to receive channel lineups. I do not want to stay on the line for any extra information. Not trying to be a troll. After paying $650 for something that I own I want it be used the way I want--not the way someone wants me to use the unit. If the phone book in your cell phone started having 900 number listings appear because your cell phone provider thought the infromation might be soemthing the consumer would like--I'm sure their would be an uproar.

When I contacted Tivo support I was told to return the unit. My unit is six months old. This means three things: 1) I must remove the unit from my video system and do without for the several months it takes to repair the unit. 2) I loose my Season Passes 3) I HAVE TO PAY MORE MONEY for labor changes!!

Not quite sure why some folks don't like the newspaper analogy. When my paper comes I read the sections I want and the stores that interest me. The ads are in the content but my resources are not being used to deliver the ads and the ads are very easy to ignore/remove.

I've not learned how to delete either the videos or the best buy commercials. Filing the unit does not purge the advertisements--the advertisements are taking up space on my Tivo. I estimate that 5% of the space on my Tivo is used for adertisement I'd rather not see. Do the majority of Tivo users find this acceptable? If it is acceptable, how much space can Tivo use on your unit before you start to complain?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Maui is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 03:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Maui Find more posts by Maui Add Maui to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maui
The Eternal Newbie

If your tivo is hanging a dozen times a day you got a problem with your tivo. I get the same ads and mine never hangs.

The rest of your argument seems petty and silly to me. They are not interupting your meals, your sleep, your work or anything else like that to deliver the content. You have a choice whether to watch the content or not. If it bothers you that much take the silly thing back to where you bought it.

You record on the tivo 24 hours a day?

On newer machines I do believe the space for these ads and such is preallocated and is not computed into your total recording time so technically you are not losing space.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 03:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

Re: Tivo, Best Buy, telemarketers, the FTC, and $500 in your pocket.

quote:

Dude, get a life.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gleffler is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 04:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gleffler Visit gleffler's homepage! Find more posts by gleffler Add gleffler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gleffler
This one goes to 11

quote:
If the content is no downloaded to my unit, why does my unit hang over five times a day in the week before one of those yellow stars appears?

Nobody else seems to have this problem -- maybe it's because you're recording programming 24/7 (see below).
quote:
When would my Tivo record the show from Discovery?

Around 4 a.m.
quote:
I make the call from my phone only to receive channel lineups. I do not want to stay on the line for any extra information.

No, you make the call to receive the TiVo service. This is included as part of the service.
quote:
Not trying to be a troll.

Sure is what it sounds like.
quote:
After paying $650 for something that I own I want it be used the way I want--not the way someone wants me to use the unit.

Exactly how does this prevent you from using the unit 'the way you want'? If you have something scheduled to record at the same time this program airs (which you claim you do but obviously don't), you won't see the star or the programming.
quote:
If the phone book in your cell phone started having 900 number listings appear because your cell phone provider thought the infromation might be soemthing the consumer would like--I'm sure their would be an uproar.

I haven't the slightest idea what that was trying to prove.
quote:
When I contacted Tivo support I was told to return the unit. My unit is six months old. This means three things: 1) I must remove the unit from my video system and do without for the several months it takes to repair the unit. 2) I loose my Season Passes 3) I HAVE TO PAY MORE MONEY for labor changes!!

OK... then this has to do with you having a broken TiVo - that has nothing to do with Best Buy.
quote:
Not quite sure why some folks don't like the newspaper analogy.

Perhaps because it's wholly inaccurate?
quote:
When my paper comes I read the sections I want and the stores that interest me. The ads are in the content but my resources are not being used to deliver the ads and the ads are very easy to ignore/remove.

And the star is harder to ignore how? And you have to read the star's content why?
quote:
I've not learned how to delete either the videos or the best buy commercials.

That's because it cannot be done.
quote:
Filing the unit does not purge the advertisements--the advertisements are taking up space on my Tivo.

No, they aren't.
quote:
I estimate that 5% of the space on my Tivo is used for adertisement I'd rather not see.

Your estimate is wildly inaccurate -- 0% of the space on your TiVo is used for advertisement (read link above.)
quote:
Do the majority of Tivo users find this acceptable? If it is acceptable, how much space can Tivo use on your unit before you start to complain?

Since TiVo isn't using any of your space, this is a moot point.

Please, get your facts straight before coming online and making uninformed rants.
/gleffler

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

marksman is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 04:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for marksman Find more posts by marksman Add marksman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marksman

I would also hope when TiVo got your letter they looked up your information and stop accepting money from you by turning off your account.

That way everyone's problem is solved, and you can find something else to do with your TiVo unit.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jfitzpa503 is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 04:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jfitzpa503 Visit jfitzpa503's homepage! Find more posts by jfitzpa503 Add jfitzpa503 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jfitzpa503
Oregon State Univ.

Wierd.

TIVO Series 2
40 Hours
No Home Media Option
Lifetime Services

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TechDreamer is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 04:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TechDreamer Find more posts by TechDreamer Add TechDreamer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TechDreamer

I really want to be on your side. I don't think anybody could more afraid of what crappy advertising and spam Tivo has in store than me. The problem is that your presentation is a little flawed. It sounds like your Tivo is broken. I don't think Tivo's advertising broke it. I guess it is possible, but I think you need to present more proof. I do agree that it is POSSIBLE that Tivo's permanent Beta program will hurt the reliability and usefullness of our Tivo's. Most of my posts have been negative toward Tivo the company, but I do not post often because of the Kool-Aid factor of this board. Those of us that are disgusted with the policies of Tivo and DirecTv have to be careful that we post informed opinions if we want to be heard.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jim Lash is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 04:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Lash Find more posts by Jim Lash Add Jim Lash to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Lash
Member-Fall 2000

If I wasn't happy with my Tivo, or my service, I would throw the damned thing away. Why bitch and complain. This is the service, this is what you bought. If you aren't happy with it, then sell it. You have three other choices. 1) VCR, 2) UTV, or 3) Replay.

I don't understand everyone complaining about the ads. Either watch them or don't. If it really bothers them that much, then do something in the first paragraph.

I for one, love my Tivo's, and Just delete the stuff I don't want to watch.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 04:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh

quote:
and the ads are very easy to ignore/remove.

Doesn't it take a lot of time to cut them all out and don't you find that you end up cutting a lot of holes in the articles on the other side of each page?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

c3 is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 04:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for c3 Find more posts by c3 Add c3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c3
TiVoholic

quote:
I have my Tivo set to record 24 hours of programming a day.

I estimate that 5% of the space on my Tivo is used for adertisement I'd rather not see.

If you really record 24 hours a day, you would NOT be getting those advertisements.

When you buy a 30-hour unit, you get to record 30 hours of your programs. TiVo can reserve 100 hours if they want to, as long as they don't invade YOUR 30 hours.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Belmont is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 05:22 AM
Belmont

It is not that I don't like what Tivo does, I do! I'm the first to say I love my Tivo and recommend it to friends. I've only had Tivo for six months and I'll be the first to admit there is no going back to regular TV. Only two folks I know actualy own a Tivo--me and the second unit I bought at Christmas for my father. My father has had no problems with his Tivo. I suspect many of my problems are due to the fact my drive has some bad spots. I love my Tivo so much I do not want to surrender it for repair for the two months or so I'm sure it will require processing the repair. (Pretty sure I'll buy a 2nd unit and another lifetime subscription to use while the repair is being done--when I get the repaired unit back, hook it to the wife's TV in the kitchen.) I am a little upset that my one year warranty covers parts only and I'll be charged what I expect to be twenty-five to fifty percent of the original cost of the unit for repairs. Doesn't seem right--that puts my cost of ownership at $850 for six months of Tivo!

Only twice has the problem of hanging been so bad that I missed days of Season Passes and got frustrated enough to start calling tech support. I noticed with my system that stability returned after I had access to the Crow video and Best Buy ads. The chronic hanging started again this week--and I said to myself if this ends with more ads or another redneck video I'm going to be upset. Not to offend Sharel Crow fans, but I when I turned my Tivo back on from being hung I wanted to see my Season Passes in the Now Playing--not a star for something in which I have no interest.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a Tivo expert. How the thing works, why it hangs--all a mystery to me. Why it seems the unit hangs so many times the days before a video release--I don't know. I only know I like it when I turn on my TV and the Tivo responds to the remote. I like it even better when I look at my Now Playing List and all the shows I expect to see are there.

I think Dreamer understands why I feel I have the right to refuse the delivery of unsolicited promotional material. gleffler had some good points and links in his reply. Thanks for the information, gleffler. To the dude that wants me to get a life, I ask him only to look at his post count and tell him to stop projecting...

To others: I have no intention of letting Tivo out of their contract. Contracts involve two parties. I just forced a call and it took 28 minutes. More than television listings are being retrieved. 56K allows the retrieval of 1MB of data in 8 minutes, right? Apparently many of you find receiving unsolicited promotional material enjoyable. I don’t want Tivo to take that away from you. I only want them to stop sending it to me.

Me asking with one voice to technical support would never be heard. A letter from an attorney will get attention, but would it bring change—doubtful. What about a couple class action law suits from a few states or the little attention from the FTC—do you think that would make Tivo ads optional? It worked on Microsoft...

I paid for a lifetime subscription to update the channel listing on my Tivo not to become a captive audience.

I’m curious how the supporters of the Tivo ads feel about spam email? Is it OK if the next promotional video is for the next Osbournes’ series? How about for a Marilyn Manson video?

Last edited by Belmont on 06-03-2002 at 05:41 AM

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Belmont is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 05:36 AM
Belmont

c3, I find it offensive that Tivo would sell me a unit and not give me full access to all the space. Imagine if you bought a car and part of the trunk was inaccessible. You could use that part of the trunk for storing soda you bought from Pepsi--or whoever else happened to strike a deal with GM that month.

Sure I bought the unit from Tivo. Reading the replys to this thread it sounds like I needed to read the fine print. Is the Tivo a personal device or is owned by Tivo? i.e. Time Warner owns my cable box--not me.

Sorry to have upset so many folks--all I really want is the option to not have the ads delivered to MY Tivo.

This probably belongs in a new thread, but are there other options? I've heard the chanel lineup information is in the public domain and that the ATI All in Wonder card comes with limit DVR capabities. Is there an alternative to Tivo?

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 05:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

Belmont,

Your TiVo was described as having a specific capacity. None of that capacity is used for the ads and videos.

How much extra are you willing to pay to do without ads?

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

biker is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 05:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for biker Find more posts by biker Add biker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biker
Advanced Member

quote:
Not quite sure why some folks don't like the newspaper analogy. When my paper comes I read the sections I want
You can do the same with tivo. Just watch what you want!!!! I want a pony oh maybe a moose

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged