TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Tivo, Best Buy, telemarketers, the FTC, and $500 in your pocket. <<<

Pages (12): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
logic88 is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for logic88 Find more posts by logic88 Add logic88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
logic88
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by tim99

I am not sure I understand such a black and white approach. For example, some people don't like that they lose the buffer when they change the channel, others are unhappy because Tivo hasn't added a free space meter.

So do you feel that everyone who is unhappy about STILL not having a free space meter should sell their tivo to make their point?

Keeping with your logic, shouldn't everyone who finds something about tivo they don't like sell them to make a point?

I am just not sure how you feel this is going to help Tivo or the customer.

True. I guess it was a wee bit of hyperbole on my part to counteract the other extreme of "let's sue" crowd.

Of course, if you don't like something, you should make it known. I'm all for that, it's when people get into the "class action suit" or the "unless TiVo changes X, I'm going to get 'medieval' on them" mode that I tune out. But ultimately, if TiVo decides this is the best course of action for them, how will you change their mind without hurting their pocketbook?

I did forgot one other option though. Buy up all the TiVo stock that you can. If you get a controlling majority, you can then steer the TiVo ship.

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gleffler is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gleffler Visit gleffler's homepage! Find more posts by gleffler Add gleffler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gleffler
This one goes to 11

If you 'generally read the forums', you would know there are about a million other threads with this exact same rant (Not verbatim same words, but same ideology). Please post in them instead of starting a new one.

/gleffler

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Xaa Find more posts by Xaa Add Xaa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xaa

My box blah blah, I pay for Tivo, blah blah blah.

What you pay for is TIVO SERVICE. Part of the AGREEMENT you AGREED to involved the very thing you are bitching about. IF you didn't want it, why did you agree to it?

You don't get to modify the terms of your user agreement because you are incapable of just ignoring something that in no way intrudes upon your Tivo experience. You agreed to it when you subscribed, so learn to live with it, or rescind your agreement by canceling your subscription.

Xaa

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

Enough people. Stop whining. This is the way if is, if you can't deal with it, sell you box to someone who can.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike_4462 is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike_4462 Find more posts by Mike_4462 Add Mike_4462 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike_4462
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Uther

Uh, if you opt out, then how would you know if TiVo had cool content in the future?

I am content with my TiVo the way it is. I do not want the software updated, and I don't want TiVo to send me sponsored content that they think I would like. Just give me the guide data I pay for each month and leave me the hell alone. Is that too much to ask? I think that sentiment is at the root of why most are speaking out.

I will gladly pay more money for a TiVo service that only updates the guide data, and leaves me alone not 90%, not 95%, not 98%, but 100% of the time...

Last edited by Mike_4462 on 06-04-2002 at 01:45 AM

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh

Re: STOP IT TIVO (was Sheryl Crow)

quote:
Originally posted by jayb282
but if you can't tell this issue has REALLY gotten under my collar.
(i'm sure I'll get flamed for this --- bring it on <G> Seriously --- if you DO support TIVO in this, try to think about it rationally.

You get to rant but people who disagree have to be rational? Where's the fun in that?

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jayb282 is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jayb282 Find more posts by jayb282 Add jayb282 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jayb282

>>You agreed to it when you subscribed, so learn to live with it,
>>or rescind your agreement by canceling your subscription.

Yup - thats the exact response I expected.

"Live with WHATEVER TIVO decides to do to you as as customer, or go away"

Heaven forbid anybody says anything bad about the blessed TiVO. They can do no wrong. I thought the Macintosh fanatics were bad, but the TIVO drones have them beat. Enjoy it when the popup ads start before you're even able to watch your saved programs.

Buh bye.

Never really taken ReplayTV seriously, but i seem them going to court to look after the privacy of their customers. I don't see myself buying a Series 2 in the future.

POST #87 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

foo monkey is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for foo monkey Find more posts by foo monkey Add foo monkey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
foo monkey

I want a pony.

aw come on, relax man. come and soak up the sun!

POST #88 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_4462
I will gladly pay more money for a TiVo service that only updates the guide data, and leaves me alone not 90%, not 95%, not 98%, but 100% of the time...

Frankly, I don't believe you.

POST #89 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gleffler is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gleffler Visit gleffler's homepage! Find more posts by gleffler Add gleffler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gleffler
This one goes to 11

If you 'generally read the forums', you would know there are about a million other threads with this exact same rant (Not verbatim same words, but same ideology). Please post in them instead of starting a new one.

(New forum feature: canned responses!)

/gleffler

POST #90 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike_4462 is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike_4462 Find more posts by Mike_4462 Add Mike_4462 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike_4462
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Otto

Frankly, I don't believe you.

Seriously, I would be willing to pay TiVo $300-$350 for a product lifetime that is ad free.

POST #91 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:
>>You agreed to it when you subscribed, so learn to live with it,
>>or rescind your agreement by canceling your subscription.

Yup - thats the exact response I expected.

Heaven forbid anybody says anything bad about the blessed TiVO. They can do no wrong. I thought the Macintosh fanatics were bad, but the TIVO drones have them beat. Enjoy it when the popup ads start before you're even able to watch your saved programs.

Buh bye.

Never really taken ReplayTV seriously, but i seem them going to court to look after the privacy of their customers. I don't see myself buying a Series 2 in the future.

Quite the contrary actually. I am a TiVo fanatic no doubt, but if they screw up, I'm going to yell. I believe most people here are the same way. Our point is, this is ludicrous. It's not taking anything away from your box, and it doesn't force you to do anything. It's just a star.

That, and we've heard it all before. It gets a little old after a while.

POST #92 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

foo monkey is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for foo monkey Find more posts by foo monkey Add foo monkey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
foo monkey

quote:
Originally posted by gleffler

(New forum feature: canned responses!)

/gleffler

But then someone would have to be a smartass and make a whinerbot to start threads like this. (You know how I hate smartasses.)

POST #93 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Leon WIlkinson is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Leon WIlkinson Find more posts by Leon WIlkinson Add Leon WIlkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leon WIlkinson
Drink and be saved

I wonder if you could stop the ads with 3 thumbs down.

I do know one way stop all of this.

FIND ALL (cool) advanced program showings "make a wish list", then go make a small manual recording to keep it from recording.

or delete it with backdoors.

POST #94 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_4462
Seriously, I would be willing to pay TiVo $300-$350 for a product lifetime that is ad free.

If it were that low, I would consider it as well. I'd love to know what TiVo thinks the number is however. Likewise, I'd probably pay $50 to get all the ads dropped out of my commercial TV feeds for the next 5-10 years, but I think the networks might want more than that.

POST #95 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 01:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Xaa Find more posts by Xaa Add Xaa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xaa

quote:
[B"Live with WHATEVER TIVO decides to do to you as as customer, or go away"

[/B]

That's about it. Live with what YOU agreed to, or decide you can't live with it and move on. These choices are simple in life. If the yellow star is too much to bare, that's your personal decision. Just don't come around here claiming you are somehow wronged when you AGREED to this in your user agreement.

It's really simple.

Xaa

POST #96 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jlb is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 02:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jlb Find more posts by jlb Add jlb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jlb

I wonder if would could stop the incessant ranting on this forum with 3 thumbs down......

As long as it doesn't fundamentally change the operation of the box, as long as it doesn't prevent me from recording what I want, as long as it doesn't take up my space (versus the reserved area), then I could give a rats ass what TiVo does.

I love my TiVo. I can't live without TiVo. Yeah, it would be better if each user had to opt in to stuff like this, but I'll deal.

Keep it up TiVo.

By the way, I do wish I had a local POP.....

Kate (5 yrs), why do we pause live TV? Because we can Daddy!

The SA TiVO owners motto: Any TiVO is better than no TiVO!

POST #97 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 02:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

Let's see....

You pay for the newpaper....yet it has advertisements...actually it is MOSTLY advertisments!

You pay for your favorite magazine...yet it has advertisements.

You pay DirectTV to view TV...yet you see commercials...about 30-40% of the a show's time slot is commercials (of course, with TiVo, you can FF through those!)

You pay taxes to pave your roads and taxes on your gasoline, yet you are bomarded with advertisements on billboards.

You pay the fare on the train, bus or other public transportation....yet there are advertisements all over the walls.

You pay for your internet access...yet there are ads everywhere!

GET OVER IT. THERE IS NOTHING FORCING YOU TO WATCH THIS.....Wow...a yellow star....it's the end of the world! Been there, done that...this is an old complaint that has been hashed over WAY too much!

If they forced you to watch something before you could watch what you wanted, then you would have every right to complain....but to have a place where you can click on to view something that you could either ignore or choose to watch, there is no problem.

Again...as long as it doesn't change the functionality, you have nothing to complain about.

"If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people.
If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

POST #98 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rcrew is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 02:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rcrew Find more posts by Rcrew Add Rcrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rcrew
TiVo Domo

Re: STOP IT TIVO (was Sheryl Crow)

quote:
3)I Pay for my monthy TIVO service. Yup - nothing free there either... My monthy TiVO fee is basically extortion to stop them from remotely turning off my box -- yup it sucks but I can deal with it.)

I guess I disagree with this. You bought hardware, and a limited software license. Ok, it's not optional, but you are receiving regular maintenance, in the form of upgrades.

Everyone agrees that TiVos are basically computers. It's pretty standard in the industry to charge monthly or annual fees, and in some cases a single lifetime fee, for software maintenance. I see the TiVo fee as fitting into that category.

Your DTV subscription pays for the right to watch, and other data. The TiVo fee is a software maintenance fee.

Finally, I too just don't understand all this angst over a little yellow star. Folks, if you don't want to watch it, don't click on it.

Rob

POST #99 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TDSLB is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 02:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TDSLB Find more posts by TDSLB Add TDSLB to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDSLB

quote:

you know, theres this nice thing where companies can refuse service to anyone. The fact is that THEY are producing the service so THEY have the right to say what it does. YOU have the right to refuse that service in protest. Dude, you really need to take a lesson in basic commerce...

quote:
Originally posted by unixadm
If they forced you to watch something before you could watch what you wanted, then you would have every right to complain...

I still think that you have no right to complain. Again, you could cancel the service in protest but it's STILL there service. This is the reason that our government fights the development of Monopolies; so that we can have a choice in the industry <cough>Microsoft<cough>

Last edited by TDSLB on 06-04-2002 at 02:23 AM

POST #100 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged