TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> "The Wire"... worth keeping SP? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jradosh is offline Old Post 06-05-2002 02:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jradosh Find more posts by jradosh Add jradosh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jradosh
Landscaper Wannabe

Question "The Wire"... worth keeping SP?

The first episode didn't exactly grab me like other HBO productions such as "The Corner".

What about you? Anyone watch, and if so, what did you think?

J

PS. if this was covered before, forgive me. It's hard to search this forum with just the words "The Wire"

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ClutchBrake is offline Old Post 06-05-2002 02:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ClutchBrake Visit ClutchBrake's homepage! Find more posts by ClutchBrake Add ClutchBrake to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

I just saw a few bits of advertising for it (don't see much advertising since I got TiVo). Can you give a brief description of the premise?

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jradosh is offline Old Post 06-05-2002 03:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jradosh Find more posts by jradosh Add jradosh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jradosh
Landscaper Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by ClutchBrake
I just saw a few bits of advertising for it (don't see much advertising since I got TiVo). Can you give a brief description of the premise?
I hadn't seen any advertising for the show, but I did read a favorable review in the Washington Post.

Basically the story is a criminals and cops drama with a high degree of "realism". A detective manages to piss off his superiors and is demoted to street patrol. He works with DEA and the police to find (whats-his-name... sorry, I forget) who runs a large drug cartel in the Baltimore projects. The criminal investigation is hampered by the fact that most law enforcement has been pulled off to anti-terrorism assignments.

Without spoiling anything, in the first episode we're set up with the premise of the detective and his boss and how he pisses him off. We're also introduced to the nephew of (whats-his-name) the drug-lord criminal. The nephew is an aspiring thug who makes mistakes but is protected by his relationship with the drug-lord boss guy.

J

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

harvscar is offline Old Post 06-05-2002 04:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for harvscar Find more posts by harvscar Add harvscar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harvscar
Advanced Member

This one caught me totally by surprise! I saw the promo Saturday night before Oz came on and recognized some of the Oz actors so I gave it a shot. Once I saw David Simon's name I knew it was SP material. I thought The Corner started off slow and actually didn't appreciate it until I watched it the second time. Simon needs to get back together with Fontana and create another Ensemble detective drama.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Spire is offline Old Post 06-05-2002 05:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spire Find more posts by Spire Add Spire to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spire
Broken

I saw the first episode, and I was underwhelmed as well. And I thought The Corner was great.

Last edited by Melody Chalis on Today at 03:47 AM

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 06-05-2002 06:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

Ok, f*ing HBO cut off the end and I didn't pad it. Right after the guy took a piss on the train track and moved out of the way as the train was coming, what happened next?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Knative is offline Old Post 06-05-2002 07:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Knative Find more posts by Knative Add Knative to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Knative
TiVo Forum Special Member

Underwhelmed as well, but willing to write it off to it being the first episode. Now that we know who everyone is and a little backstory we can hopefully get to the meat of the show. The SP stays, for now.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmaneyapanda is offline Old Post 06-06-2002 03:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmaneyapanda Find more posts by dmaneyapanda Add dmaneyapanda to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmaneyapanda
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Turtleboy
Ok, f*ing HBO cut off the end and I didn't pad it. Right after the guy took a piss on the train track and moved out of the way as the train was coming, what happened next?

SPOILER!

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
I don't remember it all, but basically you see the cousin guy (the one on trial at the beginning) standing in a group of people (near the Pit, I think), checking out a dead guy lying on the street. the cops turn him over, and it's the one witness from the beginning of the show who had the balls to ID the cousin as the shooter. At first you think that he's responsible for killing the guy, too, but then a weird look comes over his face and (to me at least) you begin to wonder whether the dead guy's identity was a surprise to him, too.

dinesh

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 06-06-2002 03:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

gracias

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 06-06-2002 11:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

I'm keeping it around, if for no other reason than there isn't anything else on right now. It's no SFU, but I'll give it a chance.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

harvscar is offline Old Post 06-06-2002 06:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for harvscar Find more posts by harvscar Add harvscar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harvscar
Advanced Member

Another thing that happened at the end, IIRC

The black, female detective is at home with her lover when she gets a call. She meets up with the black junkie, who ripped off the dealers earlier, in the hospital watching his white junkie buddy in ICU. The black guy tells her he can help deliver the drug dealers.

Dinesh,
I have a bad feeling this kid is going to be the cliched baddie with a heart of gold. The way he walked away from the beating of the white junkie and the look of apprehension on his face at the murder indicate there's much soul-searching to come.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RexTrout is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RexTrout Find more posts by RexTrout Add RexTrout to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RexTrout

I was waiting for this conversation to start here...I watched it last night and have high hopes. I wasn't bowled over either, but I think they had to spend a lot of the 1st episode introducing characters and the basic plot outline. I'm hoping it turns into a good series.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivojoego is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 04:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivojoego Find more posts by tivojoego Add tivojoego to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivojoego

liked it didn't love it - at some point you get a little too prepackaged and canned [strip clubs, informants, foul language]. It is starting to get where a show of this genre has to take a really different tack or it is just 2parts Sopranos, 1 part NYPD Blue with a dash of HIll Street Blues!

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivojoego is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 04:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivojoego Find more posts by tivojoego Add tivojoego to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivojoego

I tell what is really odd the second showing was for 1:05 and the third showing was back to 1:00 the only reason I know this is I had conflict when it wanted to kick off recording the 2nd show and told it to get the third showing and it was back to 1:00 [like the orig airing]

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

UnionBuster is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 06:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for UnionBuster Find more posts by UnionBuster Add UnionBuster to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnionBuster
squirrel monster

I felt the show has some potential. Need to see how it goes from here on out. Although I can't help but notice that pretty much none of the characters speak as though they're from Baltimore.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 08:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

Major yawn in fact I fell asleep before the end. I deleted the show and the SP.

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guyy is offline Old Post 06-08-2002 07:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Guyy Visit Guyy's homepage! Find more posts by Guyy Add Guyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guyy
Advanced Member

I liked it, enough to keep a SP for it. I thought it got into a complex plot line for the first show so I at least want to see the next one. But then again I like those police/drama shows!

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jradosh is offline Old Post 06-12-2002 08:05 PM
jradosh
Landscaper Wannabe

According to the Washington Post this morning there was a 20% drop-off in viewership from the first to the second episode.

Personally I'm going to stick with it, but I still put myself in the "waiting to see if it gets better" camp. I'm having trouble believing that the dumb cops could really be that dumb and still be policemen.

BTW, did anyone else notice that the one "mean cop" looks a lot like Quentin Tarrantino? No, it's not him... but he sure has the same look about him.

J

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 06-14-2002 02:11 AM
Turtleboy

They sure like to use the F-word in this show. I mean a lot. More than Oz and the Sopranos put together.

I'm not a prude or sensitive, and I certainly use it a lot myself, but the amount of times that characters use it, well doesn't sound natural.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 06-14-2002 03:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

Now that I've found The Shield, I'm starting to become more and more dissatisfied with this show. I fell asleep 30 minutes into this weeks episode. I'm going to keep it around for at least another couple weeks and see if things take a turn for the better.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged