TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> "The Wire"... worth keeping SP? <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
shaunrose is offline Old Post 06-14-2002 09:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for shaunrose Find more posts by shaunrose Add shaunrose to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaunrose

I missed the first episode, but caught the second episode last night. I thought it has potential. But, I agree, it's definitely not as good as the Shield. But, as summer fare, I'm sure I'll get hooked.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Syzygy is offline Old Post 06-14-2002 11:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Syzygy Find more posts by Syzygy Add Syzygy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Syzygy

jradosh said, "I'm having trouble believing that the dumb cops could really be that dumb and still be policemen."

A lot of you may remember that a few years ago a police department (Providence, Rhode Island, I think) rejected an applicant because he was too smart. It got a lot of national publicity and late-night jokes -- mostly because people recognized the underlying truth: Cops are dumb. There are no Columbos.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MacThor is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 12:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MacThor Visit MacThor's homepage! Find more posts by MacThor Add MacThor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MacThor
Uniter, not Divider

quote:
Originally posted by Turtleboy
They sure like to use the F-word in this show. I mean a lot. More than Oz and the Sopranos put together.

I'm not a prude or sensitive, and I certainly use it a lot myself, but the amount of times that characters use it, well doesn't sound natural.

Turtleboy, you haven't made the trip up the parkway to those sections of Balmer, have you?

Mac

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 12:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

quote:
Originally posted by MacThor

Turtleboy, you haven't made the trip up the parkway to those sections of Balmer, have you?

Mac

No, only to Camden Yards. And I guess they use that word a lot there too

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

serumgard is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 09:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for serumgard Find more posts by serumgard Add serumgard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
serumgard
Advanced Member

Watched the first episode and the beginning of the second when I stopped watching and deleted the season pass. Just didn't grab me like other HBO dramas (Sopranos, Six Feet Under). Too many characters to pay attention to.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

avaloncourt is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 10:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for avaloncourt Find more posts by avaloncourt Add avaloncourt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
avaloncourt
Unemployed

I'm undecided as of yet. I saw the first episode and wasn't impressed. I missed the second episode because my DTivo went out the Friday before and Circuit City didn't get the replacement to me until the Wednesday after. I haven't watched the third yet.

It sure doesn't seem like the quality that HBO usually puts out. I have to agree on the language. They might be saving money by only having two writers and using the "F-word" for every third word in the script. I wish they just have all the cast members yelling it repeatedly for the first 5 minutes of the show so I could FF through it and get to the real show.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivojoego is offline Old Post 06-20-2002 01:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivojoego Find more posts by tivojoego Add tivojoego to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivojoego

quote:
Originally posted by jradosh

BTW, did anyone else notice that the one "mean cop" looks a lot like Quentin Tarrantino? No, it's not him... but he sure has the same look about him.

J

That guy is a tool I want to smack him!

And this is one viewer who is now committing to the series - it has done a great job of character and plot development. It has pulled me right in!

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Syzygy is offline Old Post 06-22-2002 01:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Syzygy Find more posts by Syzygy Add Syzygy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Syzygy

After three eps, I like it well enough to keep the SP for it. (It helps that I grew up in Baltimore, more than 40 years ago. ) My wife, who also grew up there, refuses to watch it because of the language.

Either the language has toned down or I've gotten used to it; it doesn't bother me anymore. The characters are well delineated and interesting. However, it is hard for me to buy the concept of a baby-faced "killer with a heart of gold." Either you're in or you're out, kid!

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jradosh is offline Old Post 06-25-2002 04:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jradosh Find more posts by jradosh Add jradosh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jradosh
Landscaper Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by avaloncourt
They might be saving money by only having two writers and using the "F-word" for every third word in the script. I wish they just have all the cast members yelling it repeatedly for the first 5 minutes of the show so I could FF through it and get to the real show.
Ha ha ha... I kept thinking about your post as I watched the crime-scene-inspection scene from last night's episode. Here's the dialogue...
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
McNulty: f*ck
Moreland: f*ck
Moreland: f*ck, f*ck, f*ck
McNulty: f*ckedy f*ck-f*ck
Moreland: f*ck, f*ck, f*ck
McNulty: f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck

They saved a bundle on writing that scene

J

PS. keeping my SP though... it's still better than most

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mostman is offline Old Post 06-25-2002 08:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mostman Find more posts by mostman Add mostman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mostman
TiVo Forum Special Member

Yeah - the f*ck scene was really cool. I was laughing my arse off.

The show is good - well written well acted. The plot hasn't picked up yet - but I will continue to watch on the writing and acting quality alone. The plot will get better - I am sure of it.

-Mike

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gadgetgrrll is offline Old Post 06-25-2002 09:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gadgetgrrll Find more posts by gadgetgrrll Add gadgetgrrll to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gadgetgrrll

I was really unimpressed with the first ep, and irritated that I missed that last 10 minutes. But, I watched the 2nd episode and it's starting to grow on me. I actually find myself looking forward to the 3rd episode (which I haven't watched from last night yet) to see where it's going. Maybe it's picking up.

Tuck

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grecorj is offline Old Post 06-25-2002 10:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for grecorj Visit grecorj's homepage! Find more posts by grecorj Add grecorj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grecorj

whoa whoa whoa...hang on there.

you had a DirecTiVo replaced by CC in 4 days?!?! that is unbelievable! which DTiVo flavor was this?

quote:
Originally posted by avaloncourt
<snip>because my DTivo went out the Friday before and Circuit City didn't get the replacement to me until the Wednesday after<snip>

Looking for news about TiVo? Try TiVoNews

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tonyoci is offline Old Post 06-26-2002 03:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tonyoci Find more posts by tonyoci Add tonyoci to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonyoci

I liked the show. I had two episodes to watch and could not wait for the second one so I watched them sequentially. I like the lead guy and there is enough intrique and complex characters to keep it interesting.

I thought the F*** scene at the murder site was pretty funny.

T

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MacThor is offline Old Post 06-27-2002 02:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MacThor Visit MacThor's homepage! Find more posts by MacThor Add MacThor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MacThor
Uniter, not Divider

Last night's ep was the best of the season so far - between the f***in' crime scene inspection

(they sounded like two ducks who, instead of quacking....)
and the opening scene
where the cops were pushing the desk from both ends
I was laughing so hard.

It's not "The Shield" but it's getting pretty good. Also, anyone else noticing the Aussie accent creeping in more and more?

Mac

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Yellowfin is offline Old Post 06-27-2002 08:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Yellowfin Find more posts by Yellowfin Add Yellowfin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yellowfin

Worth Keeping?

Absolutely.

What I love about The Wire and The Sheild (and 6 Feet Under) is the complexity of the characters. They're not simple cut-outs. Good and evil, nice and bad in each of them. Just like real people. The plots are secondary to the character development in both cases.

Now compare that to the drivel that was 24.......

JK

Last edited by Yellowfin on 06-27-2002 at 08:19 PM

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guyy is offline Old Post 06-27-2002 11:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Guyy Visit Guyy's homepage! Find more posts by Guyy Add Guyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guyy
Advanced Member

I have gotten to love the show, in does not sit on my Tivo for more than an hour before I have to watch it!

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tonyoci is offline Old Post 06-28-2002 02:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tonyoci Find more posts by tonyoci Add tonyoci to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonyoci

Talking

There's no Aussies in the show. Just Brits, you guys can never tell the difference.

T

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged