TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Official Serial Cable Support Request Thread <<<

Pages (14): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
brianld is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 04:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brianld Find more posts by brianld Add brianld to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brianld

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony

Again, the released version of serial support for cable boxes is only available with the AT&T branded recorder.

Pony

Pony,

Can you tell those of us who have the Tivo-branded Series2 if Tivo plans to re-enable serial control for our boxes? I understand that from a supportability standpoint you run the risk of creating a lot of customer confusion, especially during guided setup. But, for those of us who have all of the other "pieces" (i.e. Mot DCT-2000 w/ 7.54+), and otherwise know that it will work, it would be a very nice capability to have.

I specifically recall about 2 months ago making the decision to go with the 60-hour Series2 (vs. the 40-hour AT&T-branded), simply because I was informed by Tivo sales (apparently erroneously) that the boxes are identical with the exception of recording capacities. I think I'd still choose larger recording capacity vs. serial support, but it would be nice not to have to make these "trade-off" decisions.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drossn is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 05:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drossn Find more posts by drossn Add drossn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drossn

Only got Motorola 7.44 Firmware...

Turns out my DCT-2000 hasn't had it's firmware upgraded yet. Still on 7.44, so I guess I just have to wait for it...got all the other pieces ready to go.

...or maybe I should just keep calling AT&T and pestering them about it

Anyone in the Chicago-area with AT&T Digital received 7.54 firmware yet? I'm guessing it is something that each cable-franchise/system will do in time and that this ISN'T something that is done by some central, nationwide AT&T facility (that implies a level of coordination from AT&T that I don't think I've seen any evidence of ).

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SuperRob is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 06:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SuperRob Visit SuperRob's homepage! Find more posts by SuperRob Add SuperRob to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SuperRob
TiVolution Army

Pony ...

What about those of us using AT&T Broadband with a TiVo 60-Hour Series|2? I bought the TiVo one rather than the AT&T for the extra space. I'm still an AT&T customer ... why do I have to be penalized for wanting more space?

223 Hr. Series|2 TiVo
87 Hr. DSR7000 DirecTiVo

The Revolution will be Televised.
I'm just watching it on a 30 minute delay.

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 06:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by SuperRob
Pony ...

What about those of us using AT&T Broadband with a TiVo 60-Hour Series|2? I bought the TiVo one rather than the AT&T for the extra space. I'm still an AT&T customer ... why do I have to be penalized for wanting more space?

The serial control for the DCT2k was co-developed with AT&T, hence it's only available on the AT&T branded system. That's the only system that offers that particular feature today.

AT&T felt it was important to support serial control on the system they sold. And they have the means to facilitate it working with their cable infrastructure (distributing the new set top code).

So there are really two things at play here. One, AT&T co-developed this implementation, and as such it's exclusive to their system. Second, they have the means to make it a useful feature for their customers, which means fewer support issues for both TiVo and AT&T.

As more cable companies adopt standards regarding serial control, it may be possible to offer a solution to more cable customers.

I wish the news were different, we understand the desire to have this feature. AT&T is leading the way, but overall the cable industry just isn't there yet.

Bob

[edited one comment in order to double check something]

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

eweu is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 07:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for eweu Find more posts by eweu Add eweu to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eweu
pragmatist

quote:
AT&T felt it was important to support serial control on the system they sold. And they have the means to facilitate it working with their cable infrastructure (distributing the new set top code).

So there are really two things at play here. One, AT&T co-developed this implementation, and as such it's exclusive to their system. Second, they have the means to make it a useful feature for their customers, which means fewer support issues for both TiVo and AT&T.

GRRRR!! This is so frustrating. On one hand AT&T is actively pushing for serial control. On the other, they have not consistently made sure their OWN SUPPLIED DCT BOXES have this feature enabled and ready to go. What's the point?

It's interesting to note, then, that I assume no TiVo employee can use this feature at home. Bay Area AT&T is still on firmware 6.x.

I really don't like AT&T.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brianld is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 09:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brianld Find more posts by brianld Add brianld to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brianld

quote:

The serial control for the DCT2k was co-developed with AT&T, hence it's only available on the AT&T branded system.

The problem with this is when you have users such as SuperRob and myself, who are AT&T Broadband customers, that can't take advantage of this feature.

I can understand that AT&T would want their customers to be the ones who benefit from this feature. However, just because a person owns a AT&T-branded Tivo doesn't mean that they are an AT&T cable subscriber. Why wouldn't AT&T want this feature to work with their cable box across the board? Unless of course they get a cut of every AT&T-branded box sold, and are trying to create incentive for customers who own "older" boxes to move to their branded Series2?

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wjgjr is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 09:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wjgjr Find more posts by wjgjr Add wjgjr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjgjr

quote:

The serial control for the DCT2k was co-developed with AT&T, hence it's only available on the AT&T branded system. That's the only system that offers that particular feature today.

This seems inconsistent with the troubleshooting instructions on the units, which instruct you to try the serial connection if "your recorder has both serial and IR connections to an AT&T Broadband cable box". It sounds like the actual requirement is to have an AT&T branded TiVo, not an AT&T cable box.

quote:

Second, they have the means to make it a useful feature for their customers, which means fewer support issues for both TiVo and AT&T.

I would suggest that changing the language in the troubleshooting section might reduce the support issues (or giving all AT&T customers serial control ). I, for one, called TiVo after seeing that information and failing to get the serial connection working. Based on the information I got from the TiVo rep., the reason for the problem was the software in the cable box did not support serial control. I would have called AT&T as well about the cable box issue had I not been following the threads discussing the issue to realize the issue was actually not related to the cable box itself (which does have the 7.54 firmware - had a day of purplish video to show for that upgrade).

My hope with the language is that maybe it is just out in front of a planned roll out of serial control to all AT&T cable customers. It seems like AT&T should want to offer this ability to all of its customers who have a TiVo - beats people switching to satellite because of the IR. Can such a feature be offered based on the zip code or on the provider selected in the guided setup?

Bill

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DCIFRTHS is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 09:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DCIFRTHS Find more posts by DCIFRTHS Add DCIFRTHS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCIFRTHS
My TiVo flickers !

It's not silly. I personlly would either give up the TiVo OR the cable box if I had to use the IR Blaster.

quote:
Originally posted by deveus1
It's #2.
Hmm... I must've missed that thread.

I purchased a Series 2 SA unit that completely controlled my digital cable box via serial connection. While they used the term "Satellite Receiver" in the manual (if I recall correctly), this feature was working absolutely fine with my digital cable box, as it did with every other person I've talked to in MD with digital cable. Upon upgrading to 3.0, I no longer had the option and was forced into using the IR Blasters, which are much less reliable.

Do you recall the reasoning behind it and if it will definitely be back or not. I find it hard to believe that this was an unsupported feature when the serial cable was in the box, menus for the Tivo listed this as an option, and the serial connection instructions were included in both the install guide and the quick reference sheet.

I know it sounds like a silly thing to get worked up over, but it just makes no sense and I don't think TiVo handled it very well. If it ain't broke, why fix it.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KermitTheFrog is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 10:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KermitTheFrog Visit KermitTheFrog's homepage! Find more posts by KermitTheFrog Add KermitTheFrog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KermitTheFrog
Is that a Garaffe?

I'm still not understanding the logic of the serial control not being available to AT&T Customers to try.. weither they have an AT&T Branded box or not, if it's something they co-developed with tivo to lower support calls... it would make sense for them to trigger it ON when you select AT&T from any of the cable lineups.

*laugh* I suffer from IR noise issues that constaly mis-channel my tivo upstairs (at least 2 times a week) on a slow setting....

Anywho... TivoPony can you confirm that there might be a backdoor we can "hunt" for that might turn this on? or is it hopeless for us Series 2 owners (who can't hack the drive to twiddle the bits as described in the Underground)

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 10:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by KermitTheFrog
I'm still not understanding the logic of the serial control not being available to AT&T Customers to try.. weither they have an AT&T Branded box or not, if it's something they co-developed with tivo to lower support calls... it would make sense for them to trigger it ON when you select AT&T from any of the cable lineups.

*laugh* I suffer from IR noise issues that constaly mis-channel my tivo upstairs (at least 2 times a week) on a slow setting....

Anywho... TivoPony can you confirm that there might be a backdoor we can "hunt" for that might turn this on? or is it hopeless for us Series 2 owners (who can't hack the drive to twiddle the bits as described in the Underground)

Unfortunately I cannot confirm the existence of a backdoor.

I'm shocked that you'd suggest that I would do such a thing!

I know that AT&T (like our other partners) read these threads and are interested in your comments.

Cheers,
Pony

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jeremy Stock is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 10:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jeremy Stock Find more posts by Jeremy Stock Add Jeremy Stock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeremy Stock

I'll add my feelings here as well. I'm an AT&T Customer with a series 1. I feel that I should have the serial control option available to me. Currently my boxes firmware wouldn't support it, but if by some miracle one day, they do update it, I'd at least like to give it a shot.

I agree with others that have said make it a backdoor code if you don't want to support it., or perhaps enable it on a per TiVo basis upon request after at least having people verify they have the proper firmware.

It's easy to state this may not work and if it doesn't, don't bother us or AT&T about it

Maybe I'm too trusting but I want to believe most people could deal with that.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

trojanrabbit is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 04:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for trojanrabbit Visit trojanrabbit's homepage! Find more posts by trojanrabbit Add trojanrabbit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trojanrabbit
Napping with Buddy

I'll add my request here, too. I've got 2 series 1 units with the Motorola boxes running the latest firmware. From the locations of those who do have serial control, my cable boxes probably have the capability also.

As one who went from useless IR control of an older Hughes DTV box (it ignored all IR control every half hour), to blissful serial control of the RCA DTV boxes, then being forced back to cable and IR (works most of the time but screws up just enough), I'd really love to go back to serial. I hope that the series 1 owners won't be left behind.

But if I had serial control on a cable box and had it taken away without warning, like these new series 2 owners, I'd be really steamed.

If AT&T is the one that's keeping series 1 owners from getting serial control as TiVoPony seems to be suggesting, I may have to reconsider my decision to get satellite back. I'm still an AT&T customer and it shouldn't really matter what series TiVo I have. Backdoors and scripts are fine for some, and I may get up enough courage to try it, but it's not really fair to the "appliance users".

added
Heck, if AT&T did expend resources to assist TiVo to do this, and is getting something for the sale of the AT&T boxes, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable one time fee to cover that.

Don't ask for more than you can handle, you may get it. - The Great Gazoo

Last edited by trojanrabbit on 06-13-2002 at 06:45 PM

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 08:26 PM
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by trojanrabbit

If AT&T is the one that's keeping series 1 owners from getting serial control as TiVoPony seems to be suggesting...

Hi.

Sorry if you read my posts as such, I was merely trying to pass along some information regarding this feature. I don't want to impede the discussion, it's a good one, but please understand that I haven't said the quote above.

Thanks.

If anything, AT&T ought to be congratulated. Because of the committment they've made to this feature there may come a time when everyone has serial support for cable. I mean, those cable box serial ports have been sitting around inactive for a long time. Without AT&T making it a priority to have the set top code developed, we wouldn't be making the progress we are today. It's not as widely available as everyone would like yet, but it is a big step forward.

I know that's hard to hear if you're an AT&T customer that has a TiVo, but it doesn't have the AT&T logo on it.

I'll pass along your comments regarding this. Thanks -

Pony

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

XcepTion is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 09:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for XcepTion Find more posts by XcepTion Add XcepTion to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
XcepTion

quote:
But if I had serial control on a cable box and had it taken away without warning, like these new series 2 owners, I'd be really steamed.
You can add me to that list. I recently lost serial because of the upgrade to 3.0. I can't believe how inaccurate the IR method is. I have it on the slowest setting and it's still dropping digits.

I'm going to try using the "Fort" method with the IR blasters to see if that improves my situation. In my opinion, the whole tin foil/cardboard "fort" set up is completely "ghetto" (for lack of a better word) for a $400 appliance.

If I can't get a decent percentage of accuracy I might just have to go back and return my Tivo. I personally find missing a show because of IR inaccuracy totally unacceptable. Luckily I still have 2 weeks before my 30 day money back guarantee expires.

Out of curiousity. Does anyone know if ReplayTV 4500 has serial support? It says so on the ReplayTV specs but we all know that just because it says so doesn't mean it's necessarily supported *cough*Tivo*Cough*.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brianld is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 09:43 PM
brianld

quote:

I cannot confirm the existence of a backdoor.

Maybe you can't confirm it, but can you DENY it?

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 10:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for W Auggie H Visit W Auggie H's homepage! Find more posts by W Auggie H Add W Auggie H to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

quote:

Hi guys,

Just getting caught up on this. Yes, what Mark has posted is correct. Only the AT&T recorder with 3.0 supports serial control of a cable box. You must have a DCT-2000 with the appropriate software release.

AT&T is working very closely with their vendor to get the code upgrades out to their installed base of DCT-2000's.

The previous success some of you may have had using serial was not a supported feature, but simply a benefit from some in-progress development code that should not have been accessible.

Again, the released version of serial support for cable boxes is only available with the AT&T branded recorder.

Pony

TiVoPony - What about those of us that have a TiVo Branded Series 2 and are customers of ATT Broadband with proper version of DCT-2000? It would seem a bit unfair not to let us turn on the Serial Control in those situations. Especially when I was told (By TiVo) there was no difference between the AT&TiVo and TiVo's Series2 (Other than size of the disk.) Please tell us there is a way to turn it on.

Humax DRT800 DVD-R/TiVo(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
TiVo Series2(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
Philips 30PW850H 30" Widescreen HDTV

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 10:27 PM
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by brianld

Maybe you can't confirm it, but can you DENY it?

Ohhhhh...you pass the test. That was quick - you're paying attention! I almost worded it the other way, but I wondered if anyone would catch it and ask.

But...I can deny the existence of a backdoor. Sorry. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Pony

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

trojanrabbit is offline Old Post 06-13-2002 10:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for trojanrabbit Visit trojanrabbit's homepage! Find more posts by trojanrabbit Add trojanrabbit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trojanrabbit
Napping with Buddy

quote:

If anything, AT&T ought to be congratulated. Because of the committment they've made to this feature there may come a time when everyone has serial support for cable. I mean, those cable box serial ports have been sitting around inactive for a long time. Without AT&T making it a priority to have the set top code developed, we wouldn't be making the progress we are today. It's not as widely available as everyone would like yet, but it is a big step forward.

I know that's hard to hear if you're an AT&T customer that has a TiVo, but it doesn't have the AT&T logo on it.

I'll pass along your comments regarding this. Thanks -

Pony

Thanks TiVoPony.

That's why I edited my post to include the willingness to pay an extra fee, because I also picked up from your post the fact that AT&T was working for this with their branded box in mind, and they would deserve compensation for that work, since I wasn't buying a TiVo from them.

I will be patient. As long as nothing that my wife wants gets screwed up.

Don't ask for more than you can handle, you may get it. - The Great Gazoo

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KermitTheFrog is offline Old Post 06-14-2002 02:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KermitTheFrog Visit KermitTheFrog's homepage! Find more posts by KermitTheFrog Add KermitTheFrog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KermitTheFrog
Is that a Garaffe?

quote:

But...I can deny the existence of a backdoor. Sorry. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Pony

*sniffle* Thanks TivoPony... But I guess i'll just cling onto the hope that someday soon it might surprise me with a big old new menu item :-) Seeing that RB had mentioned at one point that it won't require antying more than a normal daily call that twiddles a bit or two to get the menu back.

In fact.. if you wanted to "test" this on a few units *wink wink* i would almost bet that i'd sacrifice all 3 of my tivos to the god's of the serial cable.

Cheers,
KC

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KermitTheFrog is offline Old Post 06-14-2002 02:29 AM
KermitTheFrog
Is that a Garaffe?

quote:

That's why I edited my post to include the willingness to pay an extra fee, because I also picked up from your post the fact that AT&T was working for this with their branded box in mind, and they would deserve compensation for that work, since I wasn't buying a TiVo from them.

I will be patient. As long as nothing that my wife wants gets screwed up.

FWIW: I'd be willing to pay a one time fee to get this turned on too.

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged