TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Michael Apted's Married in America <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sallypnut is offline Old Post 06-09-2002 01:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sallypnut Visit sallypnut's homepage! Find more posts by sallypnut Add sallypnut to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sallypnut
I moved!

Michael Apted's Married in America

I just saw the info on Michael Apted's documentary on A&E, Married in America, airing on June 17. The description is:

"The first in a series of films which will follow several marriages over the next decade"

I'm looking forward to watching it. If you were a fan of his 7up, 14up, etc. series, you may want to check it out.

Sara

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Spire is offline Old Post 06-09-2002 06:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spire Find more posts by Spire Add Spire to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spire
Broken

Yeah, I've been looking forward to this too. Too bad it doesn't get interesting until the second installment.

Last edited by Melody Chalis on Today at 03:47 AM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

harvscar is offline Old Post 06-24-2002 10:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for harvscar Find more posts by harvscar Add harvscar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harvscar
Advanced Member

This is incredibly tacky, but since this show is basically a marriage version of Survivor, anyone have any bets as to whose marriage takes a nosedive first? I've got to take the filipino/jewish marriage-it seems like family (especially hubby's) is going to be hard to overcome for them. The ex-con one is probably my second choice, although I really would like to see that one make it-seems like there's a lot of love. Overall, I enjoyed the show and even teared up once or twice (dry air and all) .

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sallypnut is offline Old Post 06-25-2002 10:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sallypnut Visit sallypnut's homepage! Find more posts by sallypnut Add sallypnut to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sallypnut
I moved!

Darn it. I recorded this on 6/18, but just got around to watching it tonight. Turns out the airing I saw only featured 6 of the 9 couples, and there was a "full length" version on 6/20, which I missed.

Oh well. I imagine it will be on again.

Does anyone know how long until they film the next segment? I know they are looking at 10 years, but how often will the filmmakers check back in?

Harvscar, I agree with you about both couples, especially the ex-con. I worry about them the most, but I am cheering for them. They sure have been through a lot, and I hope they can hold it together.

My moblog | my blog | Bionic Chanteuse

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

eweu is offline Old Post 06-25-2002 11:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for eweu Find more posts by eweu Add eweu to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eweu
pragmatist

quote:
Originally posted by sallypnut
Does anyone know how long until they film the next segment? I know they are looking at 10 years, but how often will the filmmakers check back in?

I believe the very end of the show indicated the next episode will be in two years, which seems reasonable.

There's a bit of fluff info here.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

susanandmark is offline Old Post 06-25-2002 11:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for susanandmark Find more posts by susanandmark Add susanandmark to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
susanandmark

The end of the "extended" version had an Apted voice over that said they'd check back in "two years" and the original was shot in late 2001, as you can clearly tell in the extended version of the show, which features a Manhattan couple who returned, or tried to, from their honeymoon on September 11. Their apparent was two blocks from the World Trade Center. Powerful stuff. I'm really surprised they didn't include them in "theater" version (my understanding is that the 2 hr. version will appear in European theater release).

It is kind of hard to wait that long for the next chapter, but it is REAL real life, unlike the manipulated "reality TV" Americans are used to.

My hubby and I (married five years, together seven) played the "who will last" game too (cruel, but true). He was also rooting for the ex-con, but I think that's one probably already over, with all the history and baggage that couple had (wouldn't be surprised if they're the couple that disappears--Apted always seems to lose a few of his subjects in-between shoots). I also think the odds are quite slim for the Latino couple. He's bringing way too much into the marriage with two kids, one of whom isn't even his biologically, and as a widower there's a whole other set of problems to deal with. The women just didn't seem prepared--they'd known each other only a few months--for the reality of that life. I also didn't like the odds on the Southern society belle. Again, haven't known each other long enough and she seems way more concerned about the wedding than the marriage.

TiVo user since 1999

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

harvscar is offline Old Post 06-25-2002 06:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for harvscar Find more posts by harvscar Add harvscar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harvscar
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by susanandmark
<snip> I also didn't like the odds on the Southern society belle. Again, haven't known each other long enough and she seems way more concerned about the wedding than the marriage.

I'm so glad someone commented on this. This bothered me to no end, I'm no expert on love and marriage but at least the other couples profiled seemed to have more substance than this one. I got the impression marriage was just another box to be checked off on a list of goals for these two, JMO.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged