TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> "NEW" Twilight Zone on UPN, will you watch it? (spoilers) <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cancermatt is offline Old Post 06-09-2002 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cancermatt Find more posts by cancermatt Add cancermatt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cancermatt
Old-School Lurker

"NEW" Twilight Zone on UPN, will you watch it? (spoilers)

Below lists an article on scifi.com describing Jonathan Frakes directing the pilot episode of the "NEW" Twilight Zone. Thanks to tivo, I've been watching the oldies but goodies originals and loving every minute of it. I just don't know if it'll work. I guess it'll be paired up with Enterprise for a Sci-fi Wed.?

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathan Frakes revealed what viewers can expect to see when UPN re-enters The Twilight Zone this fall. "It starts off with a one-hour pilot that I directed," Frakes said in an interview. "I'm so proud of it. It's an adult television show."

Frakes added, "Jeremy Piven is the star. The episode has that great Twilight Zone cautionary-tale tone. [His character] is hit by lightning and he dies twice, essentially. Piven really went for it. He's never had a part like this. Then we've got Forest Whitaker as the host. The objective there was to get someone who does not remind you at all of Rod Serling and yet brings what Forest does, which is this promise of mystery and intelligence. So I have really high hopes for the show. I'm really proud of the way it was shot and acted. And we've got the best timeslot on UPN. There is no better spot than behind Enterprise. I'm going to be directing other episodes of the show and right now I'm working on getting the [director-executive producer] hyphenate. I'd love to keep working with [producer] Pen Densham," whose producer credits include Space Rangers and the latter-day The Outer Limits. "He's a wonderful writer and a collaborative guy to work with."

The Twilight Zone will debut on UPN in September or October.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jamesbobo is offline Old Post 06-09-2002 11:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jamesbobo Visit jamesbobo's homepage! Find more posts by jamesbobo Add jamesbobo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

I will definetly check this show out. I enjoyed the original Twilight Zone, and even the shortlived CBS revival of that series. That must have been about 10-15 years ago.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hookbill is offline Old Post 06-09-2002 11:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for hookbill Find more posts by hookbill Add hookbill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hookbill
Advanced Member

Yep, I'm gonna give it a look! I love the old Twilight Zones. I just hope they don't do like they did when they made the Twilight Zone movie (re-use old story lines).

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

loopey is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 04:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for loopey Find more posts by loopey Add loopey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
loopey

I'll check it out, but I didn't like the newer ones in colour. When does it start?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

biker is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 05:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for biker Find more posts by biker Add biker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biker
Advanced Member

Sounds good I try it out.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spartanstew is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 08:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spartanstew Find more posts by spartanstew Add spartanstew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spartanstew
AKA WoohooStew

quote:
Originally posted by jamesbobo
I will definetly check this show out. I enjoyed the original Twilight Zone, and even the shortlived CBS revival of that series. That must have been about 10-15 years ago.

I believe it was 1984. I loved it, back to back with Amazing stories. This was while I was in college, and we'd hit the bars at about 4:00 pm, drink until 7:30 and then head home to watch these two shows every week.

Stew

FREQUENT INQUIRIES:
YAMM: yet another meaningless milestone
SOAK: source of all knowledge
UMF: unseen mystical force
IBTL: in before the lock
curious about picture in picture on a directivo: DO A SEARCH FOR PIP
curious as to which universal remote is the best for tivo:DO A SEARCH FOR UNIVERSAL REMOTE.

Sony SAT-T60: DirecTiVo receiver - Modified to 228 Hours
Hughes HDVR2 Directv receiver with TiVo - Unmodified
Philips DSR7000 Directv receiver withTiVo- Unmodified
Samsung SIR-S4040R Directv receiver with TiVo - Unmodified

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

trainman is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 11:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for trainman Visit trainman's homepage! Find more posts by trainman Add trainman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trainman
Man of Trains

quote:
Originally posted by spartanstew
I believe it was 1984. I loved it, back to back with Amazing stories. This was while I was in college, and we'd hit the bars at about 4:00 pm, drink until 7:30 and then head home to watch these two shows every week.

Premiered in the fall of 1985, actually. Must have been a lot of drinking between 4:00 and 7:30, because "Twilight Zone" was on Fridays and "Amazing Stories" was on Sundays. Or maybe you were in some kind of television scheduling Twilight Zone? Maybe that'll be an episode of the new series.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

eweu is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 11:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for eweu Find more posts by eweu Add eweu to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eweu
pragmatist

TNT still shows the "old" "new" Twilight Zone. I don't know what time it is on because, well, I own a TiVo. Check it out.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivojoego is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 10:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivojoego Find more posts by tivojoego Add tivojoego to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivojoego

This is a bad - really bad - really really bad. Even Rod Serling knew not to mess with Twilight Zone and put out Night Gallery [as an aside this was a pretty good thematic show - does anybody know if this ever airs from the mid 70's. Even though there were 'business' reasons I still thought it was cool that effectively the colour version of Twilight Zone was called something entirely different!

Call the show "Twilight Zones - Alternate Universe" or SOMETHING. It does not make any accomodation for us TiVo users that want Twilight Zone and don't give a hoot about the newest [now third] version.

Come on Forest Whitaker ! nuff said - If you don't want to be reminded of Rod Serling call it something else [hmmm "Twilight Zone - Something Else" ;-) ]

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

harvscar is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 11:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for harvscar Find more posts by harvscar Add harvscar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harvscar
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by tivojoego
This is a bad - really bad - really really bad. Even Rod Serling knew not to mess with Twilight Zone and put out Night Gallery [as an aside this was a pretty good thematic show - does anybody know if this ever airs from the mid 70's. Even though there were 'business' reasons I still thought it was cool that effectively the colour version of Twilight Zone was called something entirely different!

I believe this airs on the Mystery channel of the Encore package with DTV.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

omnibus is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 12:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for omnibus Find more posts by omnibus Add omnibus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
omnibus
TiVo Forum Special Member

Does anyone know whether WGN Chicago is a UPN outlet?

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

harvscar is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for harvscar Find more posts by harvscar Add harvscar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harvscar
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by omnibus

I know they were a WB affiliate, but I don't think they have a tie to anyone now. Just a resting place for shows in syndication.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 12:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

quote:
Originally posted by omnibus

I don't know, but WGNSAT is WB.

No UPN here either. Our TWC would like to bring in a distant/national feed, but there's a contract problem with doing so. So I have to try to bring in a marginal signal from KSNB which carries Enterprise and some UPN wrestling shows on Sunday nights. I've seen how TiVo struggles at even Best Quality to record a snow-covered signal.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spartanstew is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 10:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spartanstew Find more posts by spartanstew Add spartanstew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spartanstew
AKA WoohooStew

quote:
Originally posted by trainman

Premiered in the fall of 1985, actually. Must have been a lot of drinking between 4:00 and 7:30, because "Twilight Zone" was on Fridays and "Amazing Stories" was on Sundays. Or maybe you were in some kind of television scheduling Twilight Zone? Maybe that'll be an episode of the new series.

Yep, there was a lot of drinking (and years ago), I guess it must have been just the zone we rushed home to see on Fridays.
Incidentally, the next year Amazing Stories was switched to Mondays (Fridays near the end of the season) and Twighlight Zone was switched to Saturdays (with an occasionaly Thursday near the end of the season).

Stew

PS. Actually, I think we tivo'd the shows and watched them all on fridays.

FREQUENT INQUIRIES:
YAMM: yet another meaningless milestone
SOAK: source of all knowledge
UMF: unseen mystical force
IBTL: in before the lock
curious about picture in picture on a directivo: DO A SEARCH FOR PIP
curious as to which universal remote is the best for tivo:DO A SEARCH FOR UNIVERSAL REMOTE.

Sony SAT-T60: DirecTiVo receiver - Modified to 228 Hours
Philips DSR7000 Directv receiver withTiVo- Unmodified
Samsung SIR-S4040R Directv receiver with TiVo - Unmodified

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

trainman is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 11:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for trainman Visit trainman's homepage! Find more posts by trainman Add trainman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trainman
Man of Trains

quote:
Originally posted by spartanstew
PS. Actually, I think we tivo'd the shows and watched them all on fridays.

Now there's an episode of the new "Twilight Zone." A bunch of consumer electronic products suddenly fall through wormholes into the past. What does a World War II soldier do with a Cuisinart? What does a 1920s speakeasy owner do with an 8-track player? What do the people of 1985 do with a TiVo? (Probably nothing, because they can't get guide data.)

omnibus and HTH: While the over-the-air station WGN in Chicago is a WB affiliate, it's been a couple of years since WGNSAT carried any of the WB programming.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged