TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Absolutely outraged <<<

Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DanTimis is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 06:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DanTimis Find more posts by DanTimis Add DanTimis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DanTimis

Angry Absolutely outraged

I heard about the problems with the promotion in the UK. I also heard that this was not going to happen in the US. I saw that the Sheryl Crow video and the Best Buy commercials appeared on my machine. I did not watch them, and they disappeared after a while.

So, I thought that at least here in the US, if we just ignore these promotions, we will not be inconvenienced at all. WRONG!

I live on the West Coast. I was watching the World Cup on ESPN2. It was 4:00 am. I was not recording the game, and I knew that I did not have anything scheduled to record till much later.

I went away from the TV for 25 minutes, knowing, actually counting on the fact that TiVO always records the last 30 minutes.

When I came back at 4:25 am, the channel was changed and TiVO was recording the Sheryl Crow video. I immediately stopped the recording and switched back to ESPN2. To no avail of course, I missed the end of the game.

I do not mind promotions as long as they DO NOT INTERFERE with my viewing. But, this is not the case.

Please, stop immediately these promotions, unless you can guarantee that you will not interfere with the advertised features of TiVO.

It is part of the advertising for this product that you can stop watching, go away, come back up to 30 minutes later, and you will not miss anything. What about "truth in advertising"?

Sincerely,

Dan Timis

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 06:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Francesco Visit Francesco's homepage! Find more posts by Francesco Add Francesco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Francesco

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona

You knew about the promotion, you knew how they are delivered; rather than whining after the fact, why didn't you just set the TiVo to record what you were watching in the wee hours of Monday morning?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 06:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence
TiVo Forum Special Member

Another good reason to just hit 'record' when leaving the room for a long period of time.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 06:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Francesco Visit Francesco's homepage! Find more posts by Francesco Add Francesco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Francesco

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona

Yep.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SuperRob is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 06:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SuperRob Visit SuperRob's homepage! Find more posts by SuperRob Add SuperRob to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SuperRob
TiVolution Army

Plus, someone with a TiVo knows that if you leave it inactive for 30 minutes, it doesn't stop to ask you if you want the channel changed. If you plan on walking away from the machine for more than 20 minutes, ALWAYS hit "Record".

This guy has no one to blame but himself. If the game were really that important ...

223 Hr. Series|2 TiVo
87 Hr. DSR7000 DirecTiVo

The Revolution will be Televised.
I'm just watching it on a 30 minute delay.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 06:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Xaa Find more posts by Xaa Add Xaa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xaa

Stop Balming Dan!!!

This stuff doesn't even show up in the ToDo list AND still records if you have suggestions disabled.

Hey, I don't mind the promotions one bit, but If I stay up until 4 am to watch a game, they shouldn't switch the channel to record something I didn't ask for when I have suggestions turned off.

I don't know a good way around it for Tivo other than puttin the teleworld crap in the Todo list and allow the user to delete the airing. This would of course result in many users eliminating the promotions. Not an easy way around it.

Maybe it should not switch or offer to switch if there has been any activity in the last 90 minutes instead of the 30 used for suggestions.

Xaa

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 07:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

Ditto on what Xaa said. Although the Teleworld shows aren't rudely timed and don't have the offensive content the BBC thing did, Tivo needs to be absolutely sure these recordings work around users rather than advising users to take steps to work around possible unrequested mystery recordings.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 07:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

quote:
Originally posted by Xaa
Stop Balming Dan!!!

Well, I would at least take him out to dinner first.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 07:33 PM
Francesco

...But if you leave your TiVo unattended for 25 or more minutes, isn't it safe to assume that there is a possibility TiVo could switch channels in that time to record a suggestion or something else in the TDL that may have been forgotten? I have WLs and SPs galore; I got TiVo so I don't have to worry about when stuff that interests me comes on.

Sorry, I'm not a die-hard "TiVo-can-do-no-wrong" fanatic -- heck, I've had two dead modems and two dead drives on units less than a year old, and my Lifetime status cancelled twice -- but putting full faith in just the buffer seems rather silly to me. Long ago we made it a habit to hit the Record button on anything that interests us while surfing.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 07:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by satguymtl
But if you leave your TiVo unattended for 25 or more minutes, isn't it safe to assume that there is a possibility TiVo could switch channels in that time to record a suggestion or something else in the TDL that may have been forgotten?

He said he knew he had nothing else scheduled to record and Tivo does have a to-do list, so I don't see the point of suggesting he should have expected "something he forgot" to start recording. And if suggestions were turned off (he didn't say if his were) then it was reasonable to assume his live buffer was safe. Even if he had suggestions on, what kicked in and wiped his buffer wasn't a suggestion, but Tivo clips that few people would want their buffer wiped out for. Plus isn't the threshold 30 minutes, not 25?

Teleworld really ought to be mindful of it's low priority for most users and it's stealthy nature and require 60 minutes or more of inactivity before it records, or it should show up in the to-do list or something.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

walters is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 07:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for walters Find more posts by walters Add walters to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walters

quote:
Originally posted by satguymtl
...But if you leave your TiVo unattended for 25 or more minutes, isn't it safe to assume that there is a possibility TiVo could switch channels in that time to record a suggestion or something else in the TDL that may have been forgotten?

He knew he didn't have anything scheduled, and we can assume (wrongly, perhaps), that he has suggestions disabled.

This is the only aspect of this whole topic that I can even understand. I'm not saying the gold-star haters are wrong, just that I can't understand getting worked up over something like that. But the interruption of live TV (especially during prime time, as it was in the UK) I can at least understand.

Having said that, I'd never be in the situation, because I absolutely don't watch anything live. Anything. Everything I watch, I schedule to record. I might watch it 15-minutes behind live, but if I catch up, I look for something else in Now Playing to watch.

But I do understand that some people watch live TV, and can appreciate that it can be annoying to be interrupted. Maybe what we need (it's been suggested before) is a "lock tuner" option. Basically, it would behave as if it were recording the program, but wouldn't actually record it (some people don't have the space to spare, audio channels can't be recorded on a DTiVo, etc.)

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 07:52 PM
Francesco

All I'm saying is it's a fairly simple habit, just like never watching "live TV" anymore. I know if I get up for more than a minute or two that I either protect what I'm watching, or take the chance.

Either way, getting "absolutely outraged" seems just plain silly to me. It's only TV.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 08:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Xaa Find more posts by Xaa Add Xaa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xaa

Keep in mind this guy stayed up until 4 am to watch soccer. I'd be pissed if I stayed up all night too.

Xaa

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVo_Al is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 08:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVo_Al Find more posts by TiVo_Al Add TiVo_Al to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVo_Al

I've been silent on whatever policy changes TiVo unilaterally makes, but not this time.

The point is why should a user have to "protect" himself against TiVo itself? If there are no scheduled recordings and suggestions are turned off, according to the TiVo documentation the 30 minute buffer is safe (barring a power outage). Otherwise, TiVo should change the documentation to explain that it can override a user's no suggestions preference at its whim and knock out the buffer.

I do not like to turn on record mode unless necessary to catch the end of something unless I know I will be away for over 30 minutes. There are others that have their hard drives filled and would lose something else they purposefully recorded to do this.

I believe that the Teleworld promotions or anything else that will be recorded should be announced in advance and placed in a location (suggestions?) where the user can remove and override it in advance.

Further, TiVo had better not start sending this "helpful" material during daily calls, especially since the 800 number is being eliminated and there are many users (i.e. ME and others) that will begin paying for their TiVo calls. And no, I don't care that I can get a low long distance rate.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DanTimis is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 08:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DanTimis Find more posts by DanTimis Add DanTimis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DanTimis

Angry

There are several answers to my post. I am not going to answer to each individually.

I did not know how these promotions were recorded. They do not appear in the To Do list. Normally I do not watch TV at 4:00 am. This was an exception because the World Cup is held in Korea and Japan and the games are in the middle of the night.

As I said, I knew that nothing was scheduled to record. Also, I have the suggestions disabled. I always record only what *I* want. Until now, if TiVo was going to change the channel in the middle of a show it was only because of a recording *I* have set up.

After this incident, I went and looked at the TV schedule. The channel that was playing the Sheryl Crow video said "Teleworld Paid Program." I did a search by title, then view upcoming episodes, and I found that there are two upcoming episodes of "Teleworld Paid Program" set up to record. But, when I looked at the same time in the To Do list they do not show up.

It may be only TV, and I wouldn't be that upset if the cable went out or the TiVo crashed and rebooted (it happened to me a couple of times). But, this was no accident. We are paying for this service. We are paying for "TV your way" not "TV TiVo's way."

Dan

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guyy is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 08:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Guyy Visit Guyy's homepage! Find more posts by Guyy Add Guyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guyy
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Xaa
Keep in mind this guy stayed up until 4 am to watch soccer. I'd be pissed if I stayed up all night too.

Xaa

Why he has a Tivo! That;s what they are there for to record shows, so you can watch them later! If you want something, record it. You know Tivo also changes the channel during the night to d/l to get the data off the sat. So that could have also happened and you would have missed the game. Or you could have bumped a key and changed channels and that would wasted the buffer too!

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 09:03 PM
Xaa

Sports is different than other shows. People like to see them live.

Sure Guyy, all of those other things could have happened, but he is paying Tivo for service, he doesn't pay himself not to inadvertantly hit a button.

I just think Tivo needs to be aware and find a way to still get the material recorded without interupting the users viewing experience.

Simply increaseing the down time of the machine to 90 minutes would eliminate most of them. 'm sure the creative folks at Tivo can come up with something even better.

This isn't/wasn't a complaint about the promotion, the star, the space. It's about Tivo seizing this mans machine when he is using it. Bad form.

Xaa

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

steuert is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 09:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for steuert Find more posts by steuert Add steuert to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steuert
TivoGeezer

One of the main reasons most of us bought TiVos was to reduce or get rid of advertising; now TiVo itself seems to be devising new schemes to cram ads down our throats. IMHO, the arguments that we "should have known" the ads were coming, or that they could have been avoided by going through some preventative rigmarole in advance, are not legitimate.

If TiVo must transmit advertising to us, let them put it in the Showcases or TiVolution Magazine sections, which I find to be pretty much useless anyway. Otherwise, sooner or later we might see pop-ups and banner ads on the "Now Playing" screen, or maybe during recorded playback!!

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Philosofy is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 09:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Philosofy Find more posts by Philosofy Add Philosofy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Remember when we used to make fun of the Replay machines, because they weren't funtional when getting their guide data via a phone call?

I can see this from both points of view: if Dan wasn't watching when TiVo asked to change the channel, it can be argued he really wasn't watching. On the other hand, TiVo should have seen that he was not watching live tv (he was in the buffer.)

From now on, I would suggest recording the game, but I think Dan already knows that. Perhaps TiVo needs a better alarm before a channel changes: something (sound) that would carry to another room, and not go away until a button is pressed.

The voices in my head are screaming.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Pan Chun is offline Old Post 06-10-2002 09:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Pan Chun Find more posts by Pan Chun Add Pan Chun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pan Chun
Gone now

Is there a "TiVo needs to change the channel to record Teleworld Paid Programming" prompt (similar to when suggestions or even a ToDo List program is recorded)?

Not that it would have made much difference to someone who left the room for a significant chunk of time, but I'm wondering for curiosity's sake(since I can't recall seeing one on the couple of occasions I've been watching when it was recording the show).

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged