TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Absolutely outraged <<<

Pages (12): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DanTimis is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 06:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DanTimis Find more posts by DanTimis Add DanTimis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DanTimis

quote:
Originally posted by timf
Dan, are you running version 3.0? If so, TiVo gets guide and showcases data from a broadcast on Monday mornings at 4am Eastern. This would have caused your TiVo to change channels, not the Sheryl Crow video. It just happens that the service data broadcast ("Advanced Paid Programming") does not take up the full 30 minute timeslot, so they run a short Teleworld program after it.

I run version 2.5.1. I looked at the program, and I saw that next Monday at 4 am on the Discovery channel there is a 30 minute program called "Advanced Paid Programming" When I looked at it as "View upcoming episodes" it was not set up to record.

But, when I looked at Teleworld as "View upcoming episodes" there were two episodes set up to record on Thursday, which I canceled.

I had noticed only recently that the TiVo and cable box were switched to the Discovery channel a few times. I assumed that my wife watched something early in the morning.

I suspect that before the Lexus, Sheryl Crow, and best Buys promotions TiVo never recorded anything I did not ask for (I turned off Suggestions early on).

I know that sometimes TiVo makes phone calls early in the morning. I was told that in the manual. Why wasn't I told that TiVo is going to start recording promotions?

That's all I ask, to be told.

Dan

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 06:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
Originally posted by DanTimis
I suspect that before the Lexus, Sheryl Crow, and best Buys promotions TiVo never recorded anything I did not ask for (I turned off Suggestions early on).

You suspect wrong. It's been doing it for a lot longer than that. There was the BMW showcase and the NFL showcase before that. The Academy Awards showcase kinda got broken, but it was there nonetheless.

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

robb is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 06:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for robb Find more posts by robb Add robb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
robb

Well, if they weren't guffawing before, I think you just took care of it. You've got to be kidding with 10 different warnings.

This is just an excuse to complain about the ads again. Absolutely Outraged wouldn't have been the case if it had been a suggestion, a wishlist match, or a season pass show.

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DanTimis is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 07:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DanTimis Find more posts by DanTimis Add DanTimis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DanTimis

Let me clarify a few things.

1. I am new to the forum.
2. I never heard of Teleworld or Advanced Paid Programming until today
3. My complaint is that TiVo did not inform the customers when they started recording promotions, not that they are recording the promotions.

When I bought TiVo, Suggestions was on. I chose to turn it off. When I installed TiVo I was informed that it will make phone calls. A few times I tried to make a phone call and the line was in use by TiVo. I was told about this behavior, so I hung up and did not complain.

It doesn't matter if those promotions started with the Lexus, or before that. That was not my point. When I started using TiVo there were no promotions. At some point - exactly when doesn't matter - they started recording promotions without informing me.

It seems that many people on this list were aware of the Teleworld and the Advanced Paid Programming recordings. I was not aware, because I was not informed. It is only by chance that I noticed the change in TiVo's behavior only now, long time after those promotions started.

When TiVo decided to do these promotions they should have informed customers that TiVo was going to change its behavior and start recording programs you did not ask for.

Some people are saying that I should have done this or I should have done that... Sure, I would have pressed pause, or record, only if I had been told about this behavior.

Some people are trying to defend or explain TiVo's behavior (I mean TiVo the product, not the company). This is absolutely not my point. My point is that if TiVo's behavior changes, I need to be informed. If I am told about the change, and only if I am told, it becomes my responsibility to make sure I take the necessary steps so that I don't miss a program I want to watch.

Dan

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spotty is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 07:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spotty Find more posts by spotty Add spotty to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spotty

satguyml
Get a life. He is asking for a suggestion and it is not just TV. It is TIVO and we pay a lot of money for it and we should not have to put up with this.
I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out what the hell I did wrong before showing up here and finding out this is a marketing ploy and that little yellow star drives me nuts (call me crazy).

What if you went to your favorite store and bought a new TV. Six months later it is programmed to have pop up color icons all over your screen and there is not a damn thing you can do about it.
He is right to be pissed.

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

FlashingTwelve is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 07:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for FlashingTwelve Find more posts by FlashingTwelve Add FlashingTwelve to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FlashingTwelve
DELETED

Sheryl Crow and the Monday Morning Spam Club

quote:
Originally posted by robb
This is just an excuse to complain about the ads again. Absolutely Outraged wouldn't have been the case if it had been a suggestion, a wishlist match, or a season pass show.

Oh come on. Wishlists and Season Passes for a one in 4 year event that you know every timeslot when your team is playing and want to watch it live, like a real sports fan? That's Baloney. Every second live! You know how the magic was lost when the Olympics were tape delayed.

So this poor chump waits 4 years for his team to be on the big stage again. He gets up at like 2 or 3am to watch his favorite team. He can't wait, with TrickPlay(tm) and "Tivo, TV your way way" (tm) he thinks he has one up on his tivoless friends (snicker, scoff). He gets a little excited toward the end and either has to visit the toilet or wife for a short length of time, happy to know if he finishes the deed within 30mins Tivo will let him pick up right where he left. No such luck, all he has is Sheryl Crow and her Monday Morning Spam Club.

I think I'd be a little pissed too. I watch my sport live these days.

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tom_h is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 07:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tom_h Find more posts by tom_h Add tom_h to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tom_h
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Sheryl Crow and the Monday Morning Spam Club

quote:
Originally posted by FlashingTwelve

all he has is Sheryl Crow and her Monday Morning Spam Club.

ROFL! Damn I just about busted a gut on that one. Funny, funny, funny.

I wonder if Sheryl Crow is a whiner...?

POST #87 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RaginCajun is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 07:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RaginCajun Find more posts by RaginCajun Add RaginCajun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RaginCajun

I sense a subtle hint at censorship after reading the first thread in Coffee House.

POST #88 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 08:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

quote:
Originally posted by RaginCajun
I sense a subtle hint at censorship after reading the first thread in Coffee House.

This isn't a democracy. It's a benevolent dictatorship ruled by David Bott and his self appointed minions Dan203, justapixel, Lori, Mike Lang, Otto, and others.

I live in D.C. If I want to stand in front of the White House and bitch and moan about the yellow star and Sheryll Crow, I have the constitutional right to do so.

If I want to start 20 new threads in this particular forum talking about the star again and again and again and again and again, and then spew complaints against said benevolent dictator and his appointed minions, well, tough.

There's always usenet for that.

POST #89 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dale Sorel is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 09:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Sorel Find more posts by Dale Sorel Add Dale Sorel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dale Sorel
Now with two girls!!

Re: Re: Sheryl Crow and the Monday Morning Spam Club

quote:
Originally posted by tom_h
I wonder if Sheryl Crow is a whiner...?

I don't know...maybe she is a winner!?!?!

Come and "ROME" with my girl outside! A place for Luke, too! Ruthie and her Kitty-Elevator!

More pictures of my new young girl, who loves to climb in the trees!!!

POST #90 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mysteryman is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 09:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mysteryman Find more posts by Mysteryman Add Mysteryman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mysteryman
Mysterious!

I think we should restrict this thread to the issue that Dan faced at 4:00am. Everyone has an opinion on the yellow star, as I do too, but bringing that up here will lose the focus of the original topic.
From what I see there are ample threads to tackle the yellow star.

POST #91 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spartanstew is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 09:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spartanstew Find more posts by spartanstew Add spartanstew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spartanstew
AKA WoohooStew

Re: Absolutely outraged

quote:
Originally posted by DanTimis
I was watching the World Cup on ESPN2.

If tivo did this in Russia, they probably would have rioted.

Stew

FREQUENT INQUIRIES:
YAMM: yet another meaningless milestone
SOAK: source of all knowledge
UMF: unseen mystical force
IBTL: in before the lock
curious about picture in picture on a directivo: DO A SEARCH FOR PIP
curious as to which universal remote is the best for tivo:DO A SEARCH FOR UNIVERSAL REMOTE.

Sony SAT-T60: DirecTiVo receiver - Modified to 228 Hours
Hughes HDVR2 Directv receiver with TiVo - Unmodified
Hughes HDVR2 Directv receiver with TiVo - Unmodified
Philips DSR7000 Directv receiver withTiVo- Unmodified
Samsung SIR-S4040R Directv receiver with TiVo - Unmodified

POST #92 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brott is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 09:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brott Find more posts by brott Add brott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brott

This reminds me of a story ...

In the left corner, weighing in at 4:00 and searching for the first sip from a cup of global proportions, is a new comer, Trusting DanTimis. In the right corner, also weighing in at 4:00 a formidable opponent capable of withstanding unaltered pressure week after week, is the old-time favorite, TiVo. As the contestants get ready, a roar can be heard in the background indicating that this is going to be a long hard battle.

As the bell rings starting round one, DanTimis, trying to get some last minute strategy turns to speak with his trainer. As he turns back to the center of the ring he gets belted by his square nemesis right in the smacker. Although DanTimis thought there would be sufficient time to catch up, he returns just in time to see Teleworld plastered to his forehead. Ding!

During the break between rounds, DanTimis consults the rulebook. How can this be? TiVo is not allowed to use the Teleworld punch without warning. It's simply not allowed! Xaa jumps from the stands and consults with the ref. No, no. It's not allowed! At the same time, while Xaa's not looking a whole slew of TiVo fans jump in the ring and start extolling the virtues of their friend TiVo. How could you not know that TiVo would be using the Teleworld Punch. What were you thinking?

As the bell rings starting round two, out jumps DanTimis, this time prepared for everything. TiVo comes out fighting and vows never to back down saying simply "I must do what I have to do." And with the push of a little red button, TiVo takes the fall. Not even Feng Shui could save him this time.

The only thing anyone can hear as DanTimis walks back to the locker room is "Teleworld or not, my cup will not be denied!"

POST #93 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattnboise is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 10:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattnboise Find more posts by mattnboise Add mattnboise to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattnboise

quote:
Dan, are you running version 3.0? If so, TiVo gets guide and showcases data from a broadcast on Monday mornings at 4am Eastern. This would have caused your TiVo to change channels, not the Sheryl Crow video. It just happens that the service data broadcast ("Advanced Paid Programming") does not take up the full 30 minute timeslot, so they run a short Teleworld program after it.

I don't know about after the after it bit. Let me share my experience with late night TiVo. I was redoing a corporate web site and about the best time to do updates et al was during the wee hours of the morning. So I would sit in my living room with either Live TV or something on TiVo as 'background noise' while plugging away on my laptop.

Most of the time I was not paying much attention to things. I have two DirecTiVos in the living room both with dual tuners active and I have noticed the following on both DirecTiVo's.

On occasions the background tuner would be recording TiVoR channel, thats the TiVo Data Broadcast, while I was watching Live TV. Then the foreground tuner would pop up a message asking if it could record the 'TeleWorld Paid' broadcast. Many times the DirecTiVo was recording both the 'TeleWorld' and TiVoR. Most of the time I let the DirecTiVo 'flow through' and did not respond to the prompt.

I do believe that the DirecTiVo was prompting and changing the channel even though I may have used the remote during that '30 minute buffer window' someone correct me if I am wrong.

The point should be as both these programs are of a lower priority than suggestions, which I have turned on, should the TiVo prompt and then record if there is no user responding during the '30 minute window'. Or, if you press pause will the TiVo respond in the same way or behave differently.

If you press pause now does it hold the channel you are watching and continue to record the '30 minute window' regardless of why the content is being recorded such as the two TiVo programs, suggestions, SP/WL or a explicit program the user chooses.

Last edited by mattnboise on 06-11-2002 at 11:02 AM

POST #94 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 04:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Xaa Find more posts by Xaa Add Xaa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xaa

Matt,

In the current behavior these shows act like Season Passes(which they are) and it doesn't matter if you've used the remote or not. The Tivo doesn't care if you are watching liveTV, you will be bothered with a dialog box to change to a recording you didn't schedule and probably never heard of before. If you are out of the room when it happens, tough luck.

Xaa

POST #95 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 04:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Xaa Find more posts by Xaa Add Xaa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xaa

quote:
Originally posted by robb

C'mon Rob. That's not the case and you know it. He isn't complaining about the star and neither am I. I LIKE THE TCP PROMOTIONS.

Surely he would have been outraged had it been a suggestion because he explicitly turned them off and of course it would be different if it were a SP or WL as HE would have chosen that recording and known what it was instead of it being a phantom unwanted recording that could have waited.

Seriously, Dan pressing record wouldn't have been too difficult, but it also wouldn't have been too difficult for Tivo (when they were programming this feature) to make it more user friendly and NOT switch or prompt if the user is watching television. They really could have made it virtually transparent to the user and they didn't just assuming people don't watch tv then. Well, their assumption was wrong. They should fix it, but they probably won't. They're a little arrogant sometimes about their decisions and the apologists here just foster that by making excuses for them and telling the user to adapt to the software that should have been designed to adapt to the user.

Finally, I agree with Mysteryman. For those that want to complain about the star or Sheryl Crow, or Best Buy, visit one of the threads that is about that. This is about a usability issue that interupted someone's vewing of Live TV.

Xaa

POST #96 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVo_Al is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 05:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVo_Al Find more posts by TiVo_Al Add TiVo_Al to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVo_Al

Why is TiVoPony mysteriously absent from this thread?

POST #97 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmoak is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 05:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmoak Find more posts by jmoak Add jmoak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmoak
-no title-

A little different situation, but in the same vein, ie. Tivo doesn't seem to care if your watching or not...

I set my dtivo to recored 2 30min programs on the same channel, then switched to the other tuner to watch another program live while it recorded the two programs I asked it to on the other tuner.

All was well until the tivo wanted to switch the channel on the tuner I was watching to record the 2nd program I had asked it to. What?!? Why did'nt it just continue to record on the other tuner? It was on that channel already. Why? Did the tivo figure it was more important to record a suggestion on the other tuner and to disrupt my viewing to record what I asked it to? I was actively watching my program (rewinding, fastforwarding, pausing) so it should have known I was watching...

Could'nt it be avoided by having the tivo check to see if the other tuner is being used (ie. remote control usage in the last 15min, record the requested program instead of the suggestion)

I was able to actually cancel the recording I wanted it to record (so it would not change channels and dump the buffer on the program I was trying to watch), hit pause, cancel the suggestion and manually start the recording I wanted to get in the first place, then switch back to my paused program.

I was able to make it do what I wanted it to do in the first place but, WHEW! What a pain in the butt!!!!

POST #98 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 05:47 PM
Xaa

Jmoak, I hate that too. Check out this thread from last week on that issue.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...&threadid=62012

Xaa

POST #99 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sguthrie is offline Old Post 06-11-2002 06:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sguthrie Find more posts by sguthrie Add sguthrie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sguthrie
Man you love to hate

quote:

Is this true of all TiVo's on 3.0, or only DTiVos? I thought standalones (and Dan said he had cable) still used the phone line.

POST #100 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged