TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Enterprise loses 60% of viewers from start to finish <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
net114 is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 02:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for net114 Visit net114's homepage! Find more posts by net114 Add net114 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
net114
Combat Rescue

Enterprise loses 60% of viewers from start to finish

Well, its true. Hate to be the one to say it, but those who have been saying they do NOT like Enterprise, now have the facts to back themselves up.

Enterprise started with 12.5 million viewers, and ended with 5 million or so. Averaged 6.7 million. Dropping 58% in viewership by season's end.

Compare this to other scifi shows-- Smallville dropped 32% I think it was from start to finish. This doesn't say whose ratings are better overall, just how many people left the show who were once watching.

(Overall ENT gets #3 spot in the scifi category in terms of ratings-- and most shows averaged 30% drop in viewers or so. Enterprise doubled the number of viewers who left to the show.)

Boreman and Braggee are really driving Trek into the ground...of course, ENT is NOT Trek, right? They took away the title...

Here's the link: (it's like 9 pages of info though...)

Enterprise ratings

PS: I still like ENT, mainly because of Bakula...but I really, really want to be MOVED by an episode...like "The Inner Light" on TNG....

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stormsweeper is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 02:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stormsweeper Find more posts by stormsweeper Add stormsweeper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

Can't say I'm surprised.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

net114 is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 03:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for net114 Visit net114's homepage! Find more posts by net114 Add net114 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
net114
Combat Rescue

quote:
Originally posted by Pan Chun
Is that show STILL ON?!?

LOL...guess they deserve that.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spartanstew is offline Old Post 06-16-2002 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spartanstew Find more posts by spartanstew Add spartanstew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spartanstew
AKA WoohooStew

I'll admit, so far the show is not as good as the original, TNG or Voyager, but it's much better than DS9 and is better than about 90% of the other crap on television. I find it entertaining, and will keep my SP for it.

Stew

FREQUENT INQUIRIES:
YAMM: yet another meaningless milestone
SOAK: source of all knowledge
UMF: unseen mystical force
IBTL: in before the lock
curious about picture in picture on a directivo: DO A SEARCH FOR PIP
curious as to which universal remote is the best for tivo:DO A SEARCH FOR UNIVERSAL REMOTE.

Sony SAT-T60: DirecTiVo receiver - Modified to 228 Hours
Hughes HDVR2 Directv receiver with TiVo - Unmodified
Hughes HDVR2 Directv receiver with TiVo - Unmodified
Philips DSR7000 Directv receiver withTiVo- Unmodified
Samsung SIR-S4040R Directv receiver with TiVo - Unmodified

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ClutchBrake is offline Old Post 06-16-2002 09:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ClutchBrake Visit ClutchBrake's homepage! Find more posts by ClutchBrake Add ClutchBrake to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

It's been a while since I gave Enterprise the heave-ho but it was the episode where they go to some sort of Vulcan "temple/sanctuary". That was quite possibly the lamest episode of any show ever.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rexdart is offline Old Post 06-16-2002 10:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rexdart Find more posts by rexdart Add rexdart to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rexdart
Eskimo Spy!

Hmm, not as good as Voyager? i wasn't sure there was any show that fit that category. I tried, Lord I tried, but I just couldn't get myself to care about Voyager.

I like Enterprise. Just like. I enjoy watching it but if I miss an episode its no biggie (that of course is no longer an issue...thank you TiVo!)

Must admit to being a little surprised at the remark from Spartanstew placing Voyager (and apparently a great deal more) above DS9. While I will admit the first part of the run was on about the same level as Enterprise, I really enjoyed those last few seasons as the war heated up (despite the fact that I could never disentangle the show from B5 concept wise in my mind -- all that about the great Paramount ripoff and what not). Nonetheless, if I had to choose, I would take DS9 over Voyager in a heartbeat.

Bah, maybe I should have given Voyager more of a chance, I am big enough to say that. I probably missed something!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GregF is offline Old Post 06-16-2002 01:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GregF Find more posts by GregF Add GregF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregF

I thought it started great, but boy they had a couple of real snoozers toward the end. And someone reported here that troubled UPN slashed the budget early in the season (shades of the last season of the original Trek series?) Still, the season finale was really cool.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 06-16-2002 02:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

OK - I guess when it comes to Enterprise I'm a koolaid drinker. We really *tried* to like it. Some good episodes and the characters are starting to come to life. We'll keep our SP for next season and hope it improves. Unfortunately, if Scott Bakula continues sleepwalking his way through the role of Captain Archer, it's doubtful.

Is this the end of Star Trek?

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MrGadget is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 08:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MrGadget Find more posts by MrGadget Add MrGadget to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MrGadget
Advanced Member

So what? How many people didn't even watch the original Startrek the first time around. As I understand it, it was much more popular in re-runs than it was the first time round.

I know that I for one didn't even get in to it until it had been in re-runs for many years.

Anyway, I like Enterprise and don't really care about the stats. Just like the movie critics, they don't really mean anything to me.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GregF is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 09:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GregF Find more posts by GregF Add GregF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregF

That's kind of true, the audience grew and grew in syndication, obviously a lot of us weren't even born during it's airdate that grew up practically worshipping the reruns. However, the show was supposedly partially what spurned the obsession with demographics. NBC practically killed the show because despite healthy ratings they just didn't understand it, so they moved it to a bad timeslot and slashed the already miserable budget. That's why the last shows often wound up on an old western or gangster movie lot, they were penniless and had to use existing studio backlots. Anyway long story short after the cancellation of the show someone analyzed the ratings and discovered the show was #1 most-watched among 14-29 year-old males (don't quote me on the exact age range), and we all know now that's the most sought after demographic by advertisers.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ClutchBrake is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 09:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ClutchBrake Visit ClutchBrake's homepage! Find more posts by ClutchBrake Add ClutchBrake to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

So if I archive some episodes I might enjoy them in 20 years?

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zirak is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 10:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zirak Find more posts by Zirak Add Zirak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zirak
TiVo Forum Special Member

Dunno how this will turn out, but has anyone actually recently watched first year episodes of TNG? Painful.

They had a lot of slack due to pent up demand. 5th series = no slack.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MrGadget is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 11:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MrGadget Find more posts by MrGadget Add MrGadget to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MrGadget
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Zirak
Dunno how this will turn out, but has anyone actually recently watched first year episodes of TNG? Painful.

They had a lot of slack due to pent up demand. 5th series = no slack.

Yes, I hate to say it, but I have to agree with you.

Some of the original shows were pretty bad by todays standards. You have to consider what the alternatives were back then. Lost in Space is the only other Sci-fi series that I can think of and it turned out to be more of a comedy.

I still find myself attracted to watch many of TOS episodes though.

I also find that my viewing habits of The Next Generation have been about the same. When it first came out I watched a few episodes and then bailed out on it. I am just now begining to record and watch the shows in reruns.

In fact, Enterprise is the first Startrek since the original that I have watched since its beginning. Perhaps this is due to TiVo, that is certainly part of it. Perhaps my lack of envolvement with TNG, Deep Space 9, Voyager etc is why I am able to enjoy Enterprise.

I like the idea of a modern animated series. I'd snap a SP on that ASAP. Something computer animated like Max Steal. Heck, maybe they should come out with a roll your own Startrek kit so some of these critics could write their own episodes.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

arkham999 is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 06:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for arkham999 Visit arkham999's homepage! Find more posts by arkham999 Add arkham999 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkham999
Dazed and Confused

I never really liked the original Star Trek (blasphemy!). It was just too 70's for my taste. I really liked TNG though in high school and college. I have never managed to really get into any of the other series, although I did watch Voyager on occasion and it looked like it was a good show. So that is 3, and Deep Space 9 makes 4, which I never saw. I watched the first episode of Enterprise and it was kinda lame.

I do like Scott Baccula though, or at least I liked him back in Quantum Leap years ago. That was a fun show.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doom1701 is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 08:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for doom1701 Visit doom1701's homepage! Find more posts by doom1701 Add doom1701 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doom1701
Mr. Oblivious

You know what's really sad? Like Zirak said, the first season of TNG was aweful (until about the last 3 episodes). Why? Because Gene had his way with it. He wanted the "Everybody's happy in the future, there is no God, everybody has wild and crazy sex". When did the show really pick up? Season 2. When Berman took over.

Problem is, Berman isn't too creative. He's been pounding the same lame storylines into the ground ever since season 2 of TNG. DS9 (not a favorite of mine) was unique because of the different production team. Voyager and Enterprise are Berman's babies, though, and it shows.

Trek's savior is currently killing it. How's that for irony...

BTW, back on topic, I've still got my SP for Enterprise, but I've stopped watching it. Never did catch the season finale. Just like my Junkyard Wars SP (darn you Tyler!), I've stopped making the time.

Anybody need some wood?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hoffer is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 09:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hoffer Find more posts by Hoffer Add Hoffer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoffer
Hey Now!!!

I watched the show the first half of the season. I got really bored with it and quit watching it. I guess I'm part of the 50% that left.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ereth is offline Old Post 06-18-2002 04:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ereth Visit Ereth's homepage! Find more posts by Ereth Add Ereth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ereth
MMM..Strawberry!

I disagree with Doom1701.

I think the problem with TNG was the "we want to avoid the cast splintering that occurred on TOS, so rather than have 3 main characters and everyone else subordinate, we'll rotate the focus every week so each character gets a show built around them". "Oh look, it's Troi week on TNG" was a common phrase (that and "Counselor Cleavage"). They kept that up for the entire run, but at least by season 3 they had established the characters enough that the writers had a handle on them and they didn't have stupid things like Troi interrupting the captain during combat to warn him that "The crew is feeling apprehensive, Captain".

After Gene died, TNG went downhill and the last year was easily as bad as the first (in fact, I argue that "Clues" is the worst episode of ANY version of Trek, EVER, taking the title from "The Way to Eden" handily, though the "warp drive is bad for space" episode, who's title I forget, comes close). On the other hand, in spite of awkward writing, the first season has much promise. Continuity from episode to episode, a first for Trek. Creative use of the Holodeck to show solutions to boredom in space (though this devolved into the Holodeck Show, it didn't start that way). Characters with personality quirks (Picards dislike of children, that all but disappeared later). There is much promise in season one. Plot threads showing up in one episode that are resolved much later.

In fact, if they hadn't shown all the "Wesley Crusher embarasses the crew by being better at their jobs than they are" episodes in a row, even the first season wouldn't be held in as low regard as it is usually described.

It is interesting that "The Measure of a Man", my personal favorite Star Trek episode of all time (it is so much the ESSENCE of Trek) is a second season episode while "Clues", the worst episode ever, is season 4. I think that says more about variable quality of writing on a production TV show than it does about Roddenberry or Berman.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stormsweeper is offline Old Post 06-18-2002 05:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stormsweeper Find more posts by stormsweeper Add stormsweeper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

Well, if Paramount didn't own the network, Enterprise would likely have been cancelled. It's the flagship show of the network.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Uther is offline Old Post 06-18-2002 05:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Uther Find more posts by Uther Add Uther to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Uther
King of Britons

Ok Ereth, what was your problem with "Clues"? I don't see what's wrong with that episode.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Numanoid is offline Old Post 06-18-2002 06:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Numanoid Find more posts by Numanoid Add Numanoid to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Numanoid

quote:
Originally posted by Uther
Ok Ereth, what was your problem with "Clues"? I don't see what's wrong with that episode.

I have to agree with Uther (great name, btw)..."Clues" is bad?? No way! That's one of my favorite episodes. Are you sure you're talking about the one where the aliens wipe everyone's memory and only Data remembers visiting the alien planet? Great, great episode. I'd really like to know what is so bad about it myself.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged