TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Enterprise loses 60% of viewers from start to finish <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JYoung is offline Old Post 06-18-2002 06:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JYoung Find more posts by JYoung Add JYoung to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JYoung
TiVo Forum Special Member

While TNG's first season wasn't as strong as say Seasons 3-5, it was certainly better than Enterprise's first season. I'd have to say that Enterprise has the weakest first season of all the series.
My ranking of just the first season of each series:

In order:
TOS - Strong pilot and stand out episodes like "The Naked Time", "Errand of Mercy", "Balance of Terror", "The Devil
in the Dark".

TNG - Weak pilot but had stand outs such as Where No One Has Gone Before", "11001001", "Heart of Glory",
"Conspiracy", "The Big Goodbye" (which won a Peabody award)

Voyager - Strong pilot and had a couple of stand outs with "Parallax", "Faces", and "Jetrel"

DS9 - Strong pilot but only had a couple of stand outs with "Battle Lines" and "Duet" . However "Duet" was a very
strong episode, A+ level.

Enterprise - so so pilot with no stand out episodes. I can't think of any episode that comes close to the ones I
cited above. No creativity and a distinct lack of powerful performances.

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" - Mavenelle

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ahartman is offline Old Post 06-18-2002 07:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ahartman Find more posts by ahartman Add ahartman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ahartman
Space for Rent

quote:
Originally posted by Pan Chun
The only problem I had with "Clues" was the fact that Picard immediately surrenders, no questions asked. No defensive stance, no ANYTHING.

And that's different than in every other episode where Picard punks out... how? Captain with no teeth.

Show would've been much better with Riker killing Picard and taking over (ala Klingons). The Riker with the beard, though, not the bald-faced schoolboy Riker. They should've kept Wesley around just so they could stuff him in the many hull breaches they had.

DS9 was pretty good until they played that whole Prophet thing with Sisko. Voyager was unbelievable crap. I watched the finale just to convince myself that turd of a show was really over. Enterprise is pretty so-so.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ADent is offline Old Post 06-19-2002 06:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ADent Find more posts by ADent Add ADent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ADent
TiVo Forum Special Member

Watched some TOS episodes and the Kirk, McCoy, Spock thing has so much over the other series. Spock was logical, but not stone cold boring - like most later Vulcans.

Voyager had some lame stuff going on (remember the Shuttle of the Week that was lost), but I thinks it real downfall was the cast. No standouts, except the EMH.

DS9 held my interest off an on until the final episode. It was such a let down an a whole waste of arc that I have not watched a single episode since. Sisko came alive in a couple of the later episodes and Quark, Odo, Dukat, Garak all had good episodes (though a couple of these should have been killed off at some point).

TNG was real stiff in the beginning and at the end the whole cast loosened up. Once Wesley left, and after the season they seemed to spend a lot of time on the ship I liked it a lot more. (But doing a quick review of S6 & S7 apears to be the best of times, the worst or times - some greats, some clunkers).

Enterprise is just bland, boring, and slow - though not really bad. The doctor had a couple of good gigs though.

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NFLnut is offline Old Post 06-19-2002 08:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NFLnut Find more posts by NFLnut Add NFLnut to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NFLnut
This Space For Rent

Cool

I haven't enjoyed ANY of the ST series, except TOS! Of course, TOS comes off as extremely-camp by today's standards, but what it lacked in special effects, it made up for in imagination, and Captain Kirk was the best Captain of any ST series! True .. some of those latter eps started to look a little silly, but ..

I gave TNG a chance, but I lost interest after a coupla eps! Captain Milquetoast and the gang seemed to sit around that conference table an awful lot, and it just was too PC to use the phasers after all. You also had "Number One" who had the acting range that was described by more than one trade as "with-beard, and without.."

After TNG, I had no use for any more Star Trek series. But my wife seems to enjoy "Enterprise."

- Private First Class, TiVo Marine Corps

(2) Philips DSR6000R (1 x 149 hrs, 1 x 108 hrs)
(1) Philips HDR31201 (1 x 30 hrs)

HTTR!

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stormsweeper is offline Old Post 06-19-2002 09:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stormsweeper Find more posts by stormsweeper Add stormsweeper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

quote:
Originally posted by ahartman

And that's different than in every other episode where Picard punks out... how? Captain with no teeth.

You must be confusing Picard with Archer. Picard's the guy that beats up Klingons in street fights.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MarkofT is offline Old Post 06-19-2002 01:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MarkofT Find more posts by MarkofT Add MarkofT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MarkofT

Those were Nassicans.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CaptainRotundo is offline Old Post 06-19-2002 08:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CaptainRotundo Visit CaptainRotundo's homepage! Find more posts by CaptainRotundo Add CaptainRotundo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptainRotundo

Two words: "Time Travel". No one ever has been able to do a convincing time travel plot that wasn't severely limited in scope. Time travel made Voyager's mediocrity embarrassing, some of those episodes were below the unwatchable level.

And now we have a totally ridiculous plot with time travel central to it.
Its a "Cold War" yet they seem to be actively fighting to me.
The Suliban are bumbling idiots that can't seem to start Archer and gang from doing anything.
Oh and the insanity... lets see the suliban violate the time line, so instead of going back far enough to stop them we'll just take a man totally unfamiliar with their tech give him an over night crash course and have him go steal the evidence. Great idea but what about the colonists that were killed out of sync with the proper time-line we just let them stay dead?

While we are at it, T'Pol isn't remotely logical she's just a bitch. No other way around it. Berman has completely devastated anything remotely likable about vulcans.

oh and how about the crazy episode with the doctor refusing to treat patients out of some absurd illogical moral code. I mean you encounter a sick person but refuse to cure them because of some speculation on how it will help another person if they die! I was so confused by that argument I totally didn't understand what the hell was going on in that episode.

I didn't even bring up the poor writing and absurd characters.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stormsweeper is offline Old Post 06-19-2002 09:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stormsweeper Find more posts by stormsweeper Add stormsweeper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

quote:
Originally posted by Pan Chun
Nausicaans, to be precise. They were the ones who pierced the young Picard through the heart in a barfight (they'd been cheating at Domjot)...which is why the adult Picard has an artificial heart.

Yes, but he also gets in a fight in an alley on Kronos. He wins.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stormsweeper is offline Old Post 06-19-2002 09:12 PM
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainRotundo
oh and how about the crazy episode with the doctor refusing to treat patients out of some absurd illogical moral code. I mean you encounter a sick person but refuse to cure them because of some speculation on how it will help another person if they die! I was so confused by that argument I totally didn't understand what the hell was going on in that episode.

There was some grumblings, but his major issue was that they were enslaving the other race. He also was giving Archer the "don't hand them the keys to warp tech" speech at the same time.

As I've stated a few times, Dr. Phlox is the only character on the show I care about.

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chandler Mike is offline Old Post 06-19-2002 10:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chandler Mike Visit Chandler Mike's homepage! Find more posts by Chandler Mike Add Chandler Mike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chandler Mike

Not that it may matter to a lot of you, but I think Enterprise was much more enjoyable than Voyager, just from a standpoint of it being a prequel type series, so I enjoyed seeing things they used to have to use, like shuttle crafts, etc.

I did find the episodes a little on the borish side, but Voyager was the same. I could NEVER get into that series at all.

And by the way, Clues was one of my favorite TNG epsiodes. Other good ones are Future Imperfect and Yesterday's Enterprise.

And of couse, the final episode was great as well.

Mike

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CaptainRotundo is offline Old Post 06-19-2002 11:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CaptainRotundo Visit CaptainRotundo's homepage! Find more posts by CaptainRotundo Add CaptainRotundo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptainRotundo

quote:
Originally posted by stormsweeper

There was some grumblings, but his major issue was that they were enslaving the other race. He also was giving Archer the "don't hand them the keys to warp tech" speech at the same time.

As I've stated a few times, Dr. Phlox is the only character on the show I care about.

Well if I remember correctly they went to great pains in that episode to emphasize that the people were treated fine, Phlox even pointed out to other crew members that whatthey percieved as abuses were just cultural diferences.

Yes I love Dr. Phlox, its the first time ever that a side comic relief type character is actually done really well, and he is the only character (save for that episode) that seems real, and capable of performing his job!

Definately no Neelix...hehe.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged