TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Who else likes "Coupling"? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hopeless is offline Old Post 06-16-2002 09:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hopeless Find more posts by Hopeless Add Hopeless to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hopeless

Thumbs up Who else likes "Coupling"?

I saw the BBC America show "Coupling" mentioned here in a thread a couple of weeks ago, so I set up a SP for it.

What a great show! I would describe it as a British version of "Friends" with elements of "Seinfeld", and if I didn't know better, I would swear that Larry David must have something to do with the writing. It's a little more daring than American sitcoms, so it might be a bit much for some people.

I understand that there aren't very many episodes yet, but I have LOVED the two I've seen. If you get BBC America, try to record this week's episode. It's the first of a 2 parter, and it has a surprise ending.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tim99 is offline Old Post 06-16-2002 12:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tim99 Visit tim99's homepage! Find more posts by tim99 Add tim99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tim99
Big Member

I agree, Coupling is one of the best written shows I have seen in a long time. BBCA started showing the series from the beginning awhile back and I have them all on tivo so far.

Brilliant show. The last episode in the series being shown in the US "End of the Line" is one of the cleverest written sitcom episodes I have ever seen.

I have heard they are producing another series of shows (UK shows work differently than our seasons). Perhaps one of our UK friends will let us know if it's being aired there or not.

If you like well written comedy (as opposed to just one off gags), I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Not to mention that Sarah Alexander (Susan) was voted sexiest female tv character.

Here is their bbc america website that sort of helps you figure out who is who if you came in on the middle of the series.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/com...ing.jsp

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SC0TLANDF0REVER is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 09:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SC0TLANDF0REVER Find more posts by SC0TLANDF0REVER Add SC0TLANDF0REVER to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SC0TLANDF0REVER
Wasabi!

Love it -

Hopeless,

I started watching "Coupling" about 2 months ago on a whim. I watch a bit of BBCA (This Life, Monarch of The Glen, etc...) and saw the commercials for it. I find that it's a great show about relationships and what us "guys" do in them.

The lead bloke is the character "Miles" from "This Life". It's refreshing to see him play a comedic show now. I just moved and haven't had the DTiVo hooked up yet (3 weeks now- It's *killing* me), but I am getting it together tomorrow or the next day. Will definitely record this weeks episode.

Cheers!

Dave

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AndyK is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 04:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AndyK Find more posts by AndyK Add AndyK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyK
unsatisfied

We got hooked on it when we first got our DTivo and apparently have seen all the available episodes, as their repeating now. I'd say this show is prime for US TV to copy and destroy!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SC0TLANDF0REVER is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 05:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SC0TLANDF0REVER Find more posts by SC0TLANDF0REVER Add SC0TLANDF0REVER to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SC0TLANDF0REVER
Wasabi!

AndyK

Your Advocacy for the show is well received.

Your Sarcasm is appreciated.

(edit for spelling)

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

billypritchard is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 08:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for billypritchard Find more posts by billypritchard Add billypritchard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
billypritchard
Embiggener

High-larious!

Yeah, Coupling is definitely a laugh riot. I came to it quite a while back though the two leads. Sarah Alexander (who IS super sexy) was also in a sketch comedy show called Smack the Pony which I've caught on Bravo before, and Jack Davenport (Steve) was excellent in the BBC vampire series Ultraviolet.

There is a Region 2 dvd out of the first series. I think the first one I ever saw was "The Girl with Two Breasts." Man, Jeff cracks me up...

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bdowell is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 11:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bdowell Visit bdowell's homepage! Find more posts by bdowell Add bdowell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bdowell
Happy DirecTiVo user

Cool I touted this show sometime back....

Coupling is one of the best shows on TV period.

I've been waiting impatiently for the season pass to pick up new episodes, but it takes a while since the seasons are so short on this series.

Excellent show, with tons of ROFLMAO moments.

My wife started watching it too, one of the few shows she took my recommendation on, now she's also hooked on it and probably laughs harder at it then I do.

We also enjoyed Father Ted while it was on, but it seems that there likely won't be more of that series, since one of the main stars of that show passed away unexpectedly.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySh is offline Old Post 06-18-2002 03:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySh Find more posts by GarySh Add GarySh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySh

I bet it'll be awful once the US network censors have hacked the scripts to pieces, but anyway:

LOS ANGELES (The Hollywood Reporter) --- A new comedy gang of six single friends is coming to NBC.

Ben Silverman's recently launched Universal-based banner Reveille has received a put pilot commitment from NBC for "Coupling," a comedy based on the British series of the same name.

The U.S. version, which will be shepherded by the creative team behind the original show, is targeted for a potential midseason launch. It will be co-produced with NBC Studios.

"Coupling," referred to at the network as "Friends" with sex, centers on the love and lust of a group of six thirtysomethings who are either involved, formerly involved or looking to become intimately involved with one another. The show, now going into production on its third season on the BBC, explores the change in the friends after two of them become a couple and examines the way men and women look at life and sex.

"It's kind of a next-generation sitcom," Silverman said. "It is really honest and edgy, and the humor flows more organically. It is a smart and fresh comedy."

While Silverman said the show is very different from "Friends," he said the producers eyed it as a potential replacement for the hit Thursday comedy set to bow out at the end of next season.

"We think 'Coupling' would be a perfect show for the fans of 'Friends,' and so does NBC," Silverman said.

NBC is said to be very high on the project, which is being championed by network entertainment president Jeff Zucker, a fan of the British series. Silverman will executive produce the NBC pilot along with Beryl Vertue, Sue Vertue and Steven Moffat. Leading British comedy series helmer Martin Dennis, who has directed all episodes of "Coupling," is set to direct the pilot.

"It's been quite a family affair," Beryl Vertue said about the original series. "Coupling" came out of an idea from Beryl Vertue's son-in-law, Moffat, and was based on the relationship between Moffat and Beryl Vertue's daughter, Sue, and their friends. "It's about them looking at themselves and seeing how, although they became a new couple, they still had all these friends around -- there were a lot of exes in the congregation and yet (they were) really, really good friends," said Beryl Vertue, who executive produces the British series. Sue Vertue serves as a producer.

Moffat, who writes the series, will be very involved in adapting the show and writing the pilot script for NBC.

For veteran producer Beryl Vertue, "Coupling" comes on the heels of a series of successful British show transplants on U.S. television. She was involved in helping "All in the Family," "Sanford & Son" and, most recently, "Men Behaving Badly" cross the pond.

Silverman is also well versed in bringing U.K. formats to America. As WMA's head of international packaging for seven years -- first in London and then in New York -- he helped set up "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire ( news - web sites)" at ABC.

"Coupling" is the first joint project for Silverman and Beryl Vertue. The two have known each other for years and have been looking to work together.

"I'm delighted that we've linked up with Ben and Reveille because I think that Ben's got a great new company, and we're really delighted to be the first production with Reveille," Vertue said. "It's a very happy series, and we're looking forward to having as much pleasure doing it in America."

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AndyK is offline Old Post 06-19-2002 04:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AndyK Find more posts by AndyK Add AndyK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyK
unsatisfied

Ahh, NBC is pining their almost certain *******ization of Coupling with the "the next Friends" badge. Kiss of death, might as well cancel it now while they're ahead of the game. the big downside, NBC will probably buy the rights for the US showing of future "real" Coupling episodes, preventing them from airing. Wouldn't want the US audience to see the superior product.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged