TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> 2.0.1 z16 Severely Dropping S-video Resolution <<<

Pages (14): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Old Post 04-05-2001 04:14 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jameskg

Talking

quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Genom:
I know I sound very negative, but I really do like my TiVo. Being in the very high end video business, I can apreciate what has been done here. It's just tech support I have a beef with.</font>

I think you should consider the posibility that you happend to get bad (or no) service from a tech support group that normally offers excellent service to those who need it, on all levels. This thread is a perfect example. Sometimes things slip through the cracks at tech support places. The over-all opinion of people in the forums (who are probably the most critical) is that the service is above average. Why not give it another shot?

------------------
JKG II - Radio Engineer Guy with a TiVo box...

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-06-2001 12:48 AM
boat-anchor

Talking

Is there a way that we can get on the "test the fix" group sooner rather than waiting for the fixed to be released to the general 2.01 populus?

This video quality problem is depressing.

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ShiningBengal is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ShiningBengal Find more posts by ShiningBengal Add ShiningBengal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ShiningBengal
Curmudgeon Emeritus

Talking

quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VictorWI:
quote:
Originally posted by TiVolutionary:
I'm testing a fix...

so are some of you.

I'll let you know if the first tests go well.
-RB

</font>

Whoo Hoo! Now let's just hope it goes well and can be quickly rolled out to the masses!

I have an IHF calibrated 60" Hitachi Ultravision rear projector, and I haven't noticed any change at all in picture quality going from 1.3 to 2.0.1. I haven't any objective tests to prove it, but my eyes are very intolerant of video distortion of all kinds.

Perhaps the problem occurs in TiVo setups that switch signal sources. All of my input is Dish Network satellite.

------------------
Ignore them, m'dear: They're beneath your dignity.

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brianp6621 is offline Old Post 04-06-2001 12:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brianp6621 Find more posts by brianp6621 Add brianp6621 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brianp6621

Talking

quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ShiningBengal:
I have an IHF calibrated 60" Hitachi Ultravision rear projector, and I haven't noticed any change at all in picture quality going from 1.3 to 2.0.1. I haven't any objective tests to prove it, but my eyes are very intolerant of video distortion of all kinds.

Perhaps the problem occurs in TiVo setups that switch signal sources. All of my input is Dish Network satellite.

</font>

I too don't believe I am seeing this issue. My setup is cable only from a cable box via RCA video, and then from TiVo to my VVEGA XBR via S-Video..

Also, since I have no multiple sources, I have no way to switch back and forth to witness the change, but in general I don't notice a fuzziness on even the sharpest images like my cable box guide...

------------------
Using version 2.0.1

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-08-2001 01:00 AM
boat-anchor

Talking

Fix, fix, fix, where is the fix?

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsnelson is offline Old Post 04-08-2001 04:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson
TiVo Forum Special Member

Talking

MFS, MFS, MFS, it's in the MFS..

Brad

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guy Kuo is offline Old Post 04-08-2001 04:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Guy Kuo Visit Guy Kuo's homepage! Find more posts by Guy Kuo Add Guy Kuo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guy Kuo
Advanced Member

Talking

They're trying. I'm not pressing too hard to allow the guys a chance to catch their breath after this past week's announcements. It needs to be fixed and I'm still confident it will happen.

POST #87 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Harv is offline Old Post 04-08-2001 04:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Harv Find more posts by Harv Add Harv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Harv

Talking

quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Kuo:
They're trying. I'm not pressing too hard to allow the guys a chance to catch their breath after this past week's announcements. It needs to be fixed and I'm still confident it will happen.</font>

I was hoping you'd be one of the first ones to get the fix to try out.

POST #88 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cornflakeguy is offline Old Post 04-08-2001 09:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cornflakeguy Find more posts by Cornflakeguy Add Cornflakeguy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cornflakeguy

Talking

I will says this. It seems that this 'Comb' filter, or brightness correction, or whatever it is DOES seem to be reacting to something, not just 'random' correcting.

Where I see it the most is, don't laugh, on Bob Ross Joy of Painting. If you recall, the set is a deep black background, Bob, and the canvass. During the course of the show, the screen has close ups of the painting, then pulls back to show Bob (and his deep black background) and then back to the painting (which is usually bright or bright-ish).

Giving the contrast between the two shots, and the frequency in which they change, my 'auto correction' is always being fired off during the show. In short, dark, then bright, dark, then bright. No episode of Friends is like this, on average, and I don't notice it much on Friends, either.

So, *pant pant* to sum up: Maybe the correction is too sensitive!

CFG!

POST #89 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BL is offline Old Post 04-10-2001 12:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BL Find more posts by BL Add BL to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BL

Talking

I get the same thing on Star Trek DS9. It will make Cisco's face very light (as well as the surrounding background) and then eventually get back to normal. For a period it looks very "washed out."

------------------
Bill

POST #90 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-10-2001 12:29 AM
hurricane

Question

Are those of us who received the Z16 release in advance of the gold rollout now "allowed" to call Customer Service? I would like to discuss this problem with them directly, but I seem to recall that in signing up for the release, we agreed not to "bug" Customer Service with 2.0.1 questions.

This problem was painfully evident (again) in just about every cut while watching The X-Files that I recorded last night. This is a serious issue to me and I hope that there is a resolution coming soon.

POST #91 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-11-2001 02:34 AM
keiths

Talking

Are we still talking about the same problem here? This thread was created to discuss the reduction in S-Video resolution. Is this directly responsible for the contrast problems people are experiencing? Anybody? Buhler?

POST #92 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guy Kuo is offline Old Post 04-11-2001 02:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Guy Kuo Visit Guy Kuo's homepage! Find more posts by Guy Kuo Add Guy Kuo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guy Kuo
Advanced Member

Talking

No. They are two separate issues. The contrast stability problem was injected into this thread but is a totally separate topic. While I believe the resolution problem will be fixed, I doubt that the contrast stability will be fixable as it is not new to 2.0.1 and may well be a hardware limitation.

POST #93 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-11-2001 02:59 AM
hurricane

Talking

quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Kuo:
No. They are two separate issues. The contrast stability problem was injected into this thread but is a totally separate topic. While I believe the resolution problem will be fixed, I doubt that the contrast stability will be fixable as it is not new to 2.0.1 and may well be a hardware limitation.</font>

Dr. Kuo:

I understand from a previous post (and this one) that you believe the "contrast stability" issue that I and others interjected into this thread was also present in 1.3. I don't question your conclusion, other than to say that I never noticed it prior to receiving the upgrade, and I discovered it quite independently of any suggestion of the issue elsewhere. Can you think of an explanation for why it would suddenly be apparent to me in the new software, yet not in the old?

TiVo employees:

Will you please address the "fix" that you have previously alluded to in this thread -- will that fix solve the "contrast stability" issue, or the "resolution" issue? Are they indeed separate issues as has been suggested and if so, what is the prognosis for the issue that the latest "fix" will not address? Last, could you please indicate when any forthcoming fix will be available?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by hurricane (edited 04-10-2001).]

POST #94 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-11-2001 03:27 AM
Don H

Thumbs down

How long has Tivo been out and they still haven't got it right?

Does the NJ Lemon Law only pertain to vehicles or will it apply to Tivo?

------------------
If you don't know where your going then any road will take you there.

POST #95 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

modnar is offline Old Post 04-11-2001 03:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for modnar Find more posts by modnar Add modnar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
modnar

Exclamation

quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don H:
How long has Tivo been out and they still haven't got it right?

Does the NJ Lemon Law only pertain to vehicles or will it apply to Tivo?
</font>

DO NOT NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

POST #96 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-11-2001 04:25 AM
jameskg

Talking

OK- this thread was started for discussion about the resolution problem that was found by Guy Kuo. The contrast thing is a separate issue and should be discussed in another thread. Start one if you like, but this particular thread needs to be kept strictly to the resolution of this resolution problem

That said - TiVo also has experienced some staff loss recently, so they need some time to recover from that. Hopefully they will lets us know something soon. I haven't watched my TiVo much lately - maybe I'll get a big surprise when I turn it on again!

Anyone know when the S-Video resolution resolution is coming?

------------------
JKG II - Radio Engineer Guy with a TiVo box...

[This message has been edited by jameskg (edited 04-10-2001).]

POST #97 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-11-2001 04:59 AM
hurricane

Thumbs down

quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jameskg:
OK- this thread was started for discussion about the resolution problem that was found by Guy Kuo. The contrast thing is a separate issue and should be discussed in another thread. Start one if you like, but this particular thread needs to be kept strictly to the resolution of this resolution problem </font>

I didn't see that jameskg was a moderator of this forum, so I thought his demand was a bit out of bounds, but who am I to say? This must be the first thread that has ever veered from the initial subject. At any rate, to keep everyone happy, here http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum1/HTML/006278.html is a new thread dedicated solely to discussing the contrast/brightness issue.

POST #98 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-11-2001 06:03 AM
bossmonkey

Talking

i got my Tivo 4 days ago. 1.3, but it upgraded to 2.0.1 the first day, so i never got familiar w/ 1.3. relative PQ.

is there quantitative evidence to answer the following:

Q1: does the RESOLUTION problem affect STAND ALONE units as well?

Q2: does it affect ONLY z16, or 2.0.1-001-000 as well?

POST #99 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 04-11-2001 07:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

Lightbulb

quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bossmonkey:
i got my Tivo 4 days ago. 1.3, but it upgraded to 2.0.1 the first day, so i never got familiar w/ 1.3. relative PQ.

is there quantitative evidence to answer the following:

Q1: does the RESOLUTION problem affect STAND ALONE units as well?

Q2: does it affect ONLY z16, or 2.0.1-001-000 as well?
</font>

It EXCLUSIVELY affects Standalone units.

Z16 and 2.0.1-001-000 are the same thing.

POST #100 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged