TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> OK, Tivo... Please explain the holdup with an HDTV Tivo <<<

Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rich Peterson is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 07:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rich Peterson Find more posts by Rich Peterson Add Rich Peterson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rich Peterson

OK, Tivo... Please explain the holdup with an HDTV Tivo

Tivo, can you explain why we still can't buy an HDTV-capable Tivo to directly record and playback the HDTV bitstream? It would seem the technology wouldn't be much different from your current DirecTV Tivos. Is it your perceived lack of demand? Copy protection? Technical problems? Too high a price to get a reasonable amount of recording time? What????

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CliffHanger is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 07:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CliffHanger Find more posts by CliffHanger Add CliffHanger to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CliffHanger
Advanced Member

I would probably say perceived lack of demand. The demand for regular Tivos is not really that great. None of the people I know have HDTV or are planning to get it any time soon.

Granted it would be nice for the people who do have it, but for what it would cost to develop, Tivo would lose money big-time.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

disco is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 08:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for disco Find more posts by disco Add disco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
disco
why?

That, and the hardware involved in creating such a device (i.e., a couple of HUGE 160 GB drives for only 10 hours of record time!) would make the device an EXTREME luxury (people complain about the $299-$399 price tag already).

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

OLdDog is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 08:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for OLdDog Find more posts by OLdDog Add OLdDog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLdDog
Reformed Druid

1 - Virtually NO demand, compared to the demand for other products. HDTV is still a miniscule niche market.

2 - Industry resistance. While the actual legal issues may be VERY disputable any system that records the bit stream is seen as a threat by a very large segment of the industry. TiVo does not have the resources to fight the kind of legal battles that the ability to record and store and therefore potentially copy in HD format would produce.

3 - Disk size and IDE interface issues. TiVo is valuable to people because it can record and store and fairly large number of programs and the HD bit stream takes a LOT more space than the currently used formats.

There are ways to overcome many or even all of the problems BUT it is not worth it for TiVo at this point.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rich Peterson is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 08:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rich Peterson Find more posts by Rich Peterson Add Rich Peterson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rich Peterson

Are those of you saying there is no demand for HDTV aware that the number of HDTV receivers out there is comparable to the number of Tivos? Tivo may be somewhat higher (maybe 25% or even up to 50% higher ) but certainly not an order of magnitude higher or anything. HDTV is no more of a niche than PVRs at this point.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CoosCoos is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 08:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CoosCoos Find more posts by CoosCoos Add CoosCoos to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CoosCoos

quote:
Originally posted by Rich Peterson
Are those of you saying there is no demand for HDTV aware that the number of HDTV receivers out there is comparable to the number of Tivos? Tivo may be somewhat higher (maybe 25% or even up to 50% higher ) but certainly not an order of magnitude higher or anything. HDTV is no more of a niche than PVRs at this point.
You're missing the point. PVRs are a niche in a market of 100 Million. HDTV PVRs would be a niche in a market of 200,000. That's a very, very, very small niche.

The order of magnitude isn't the difference between the number of TiVos and the number of HDTVs, it's the difference between the number of households that can use them. 100+ Million households with TV can use PVRs, whereas 200,000 households with HDTV can use an HDTV PVR.

It wouldn't make sense for TiVo to go after that miniscule of a market.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ozric100 is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 08:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ozric100 Visit ozric100's homepage! Find more posts by ozric100 Add ozric100 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ozric100

I don't speak up on this type on stuff very often.... but

1. HDTV - will never happen at least not 1080p - you will get 480p and like it.

2. DVI - and BS - the Tivo is lossy so I don't know what the deal is here. There is no way you could store a full HD bitstream and still sell to a mass market. $$

3. There is a HUGE untapped market in the NON - DTV space.

4. Did I mentiont that HDTV is a DUD and they Keep shooting off the other foot with DVI and HDCP and IEEE.. err FireWire

I would at least like to see a Tivo that could do 480p or 720p and optical audio with DD or DTS. I would think that is doable or fudgable.

Last edited by ozric100 on 07-12-2002 at 09:02 PM

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 08:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

demand for one. As CoosCoos points out, you market is the people who want a PVR (small) *and* who want/have HDTV (small).

Not many people are going to to drop a *large* amount of cash on a device that records a limited anount of HD programming. I could not imagine the device coming out until HDTV is fully implemented by brodcasters and no one is broadcasting analog NTSC anymore.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rich Peterson is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 09:22 PM
Rich Peterson

Well, you folks sure have a different way of looking at this than I do. Let me explain my thoughts.

An HDTV Tivo would function as an HDTV receiver, allowing HDTV broadcasts from either sat, cable, or OTA to be received, stored, and later replayed back to any TV. Those who have HDTV sets would get a fantastic HDTV picture and those with standard NTSC sets would get a really really good NTSC picture (much better than any other broadcasts today). The HDTV receivers people have today wouldn't be used at all so I don't see how you can look at the number of HDTV receivers in use today (probably around 350K, not 200K) and assume that is the only market for an HDTV Tivo. Anyone who wants a better picture and especially those with HDTV sets will get improvements if they record HDTV broadcasts.

There are now over 2 million people with HDTV sets and that is expected to double by next year. Demand for better pictures and sound is certainly there (as witnessed by huge DVD sales) so if the price wasn't too out of line, wouldn't an HDTV Tivo sell somewhat?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

IJustLikeTivo is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 09:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for IJustLikeTivo Find more posts by IJustLikeTivo Add IJustLikeTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IJustLikeTivo
OK, Happy Now? <vbg>

quote:
Well, you folks sure have a different way of looking at this than I do. Let me explain my thoughts.

An HDTV Tivo would function as an HDTV receiver, allowing HDTV broadcasts from either sat, cable, or OTA to be received, stored, and later replayed back to any TV. Those who have HDTV sets would get a fantastic HDTV picture and those with standard NTSC sets would get a really really good NTSC picture (much better than any other broadcasts today). The HDTV receivers people have today wouldn't be used at all so I don't see how you can look at the number of HDTV receivers in use today (probably around 350K, not 200K) and assume that is the only market for an HDTV Tivo. Anyone who wants a better picture and especially those with HDTV sets will get improvements if they record HDTV broadcasts.

There are now over 2 million people with HDTV sets and that is expected to double by next year. Demand for better pictures and sound is certainly there (as witnessed by huge DVD sales) so if the price wasn't too out of line, wouldn't an HDTV Tivo sell somewhat?

I think 2 million is the number of sets with the resolution for HDTV, not with an HDTV tuner which is much smaller. The vast majority of HDTV ready sets are used to view line-doubled NTSC images, not HDTV images. As as aside, there are very few HDTV receivers on the market. Almost all HDTV viewers are using external HDTV tuners.

Having said this, it is certainly possible to do this and given time, it will happen, just not very soon.

IJLT

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 09:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

quote:

2 million households out of how many in the USA??? Its such a small number.

*if* the price is not "too out of line" *and* *if* there was HDTV programmingto record, than maybe. But TiVos today aren't cheap and HDTV programming is lacking.

you seee it your wy becasue you have HDTV. I don't. Its expensive to get an HDTV set. How will I get programming? Cable? Not on my system? Satelite? Live in an apartment.. That leaves OTA. There is some stuff, but not much. Certainly not woth all the expense just to TiVo an HDTV broadcast of Jay Leno.

You may think my situation is in the minority. But it isn't.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Satchel is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 10:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Satchel Find more posts by Satchel Add Satchel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Satchel
Who, me?

I tend to think of the production aspect of this...follow me for a second...

There are only so many production lines in factories making TiVos...
They are churning out Series 2 boxes now and DTiVos...or whatever
To make HDTiVo would require significant investment in ramping up and tooling a factory line for this product.
That factory line would not be able to make any other types of TiVo without costly changeovers.
The development people at TiVo have to use their production capacity to make the most money.
This is why they don't keep making 14-hour TiVos and charge $100 for them...same logic as to why PC makers keep most computers in the same price range year after year. They have to charge a certain amount and sell a certain amount to make profit (or not).
PC makers could still make PIII computers for 200 bucks but there isn't any profit in it. There is a limited production capacity and they choose to produce what they can sell to the most people to make the most money.

Sorry if that got off track.

satchel

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 10:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:

Its not clear that DVD sales are all about quality. LD remained a niche market for decades even though its quality was very high. Much of the demand for DVD is due to convenience and low prices.

But your last statement is the biggest problem "wouldn't an HDTV Tivo sell somewhat?" Define somewhat. Do you mean even less than the current TiVos? As far as I know, no PVR has been profitable yet. You'll have a better chance of convincing someone to do this if you can convince them that sales will be "fantastic". I do believe by the way that the average HDTV owner may be much more willing to pay for a PVR than the average conventional set owner, but still, is it "enough more" to make it profitable? I don't know.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Squeak is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 10:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Squeak Find more posts by Squeak Add Squeak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squeak
An Inert Gas

quote:
(as witnessed by huge DVD sales)

I think quality is a nice extra-benefit for most with DVD's (non-video/audiophiles). The big reason for most with DVD's is the convienence of the medium. Very similar to cassettes and CD's.

While there is a segment that loves the HDTV quality (or more specificaly - 1080), it is not a huge motivator for most families. And TiVo needs to concentrate on the majority of American Households to stay in business.

Plus, I agree with ozric100: 1080 will never happen on widespread basis. While Fox might be gready now, most broadcasters will realize the fudiciary responsibilty of being able to do 6 channles of 480p in their bandwidth.

DTV is here to stay -- HDTV is not

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pv is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 10:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pv Find more posts by pv Add pv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pv
Klein Bottle Washer

It's a classic "niche of a niche" problem.

The market is the HDTV-owning public, which is right now, and probably will be for several years yet, very small. Given the adoption rates for tivo among satellite users (another apparent demographic match), I can't see how this would be a good market to go after, today. Especially given that 1080p is still a 500 pound gorilla diskwise.

In say another three years, when terabyte drives become a reality, this will become a must for tivo. But it would be a dangerous distraction right now. PV

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grecorj is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 10:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for grecorj Visit grecorj's homepage! Find more posts by grecorj Add grecorj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grecorj
TiVo Forum Special Member

tivo has said they would make one -- if a CE stepped up and licensed their software, that is.

so if Sony or someone like that said, hey, we want a hdtv tivo, they could make one. they already have a tivo license agreement, in fact. and they make hdtv ready tvs.

so the question of this thread should be, "ok, {insert CE name here}....Please explain the holdup...

Looking for news about TiVo? Try TiVoNews

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrmike is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 10:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrmike Find more posts by mrmike Add mrmike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrmike
Ground Pounder

Well, considering I have to pay more than I paid for either of my TiVos to get a HDTV tuner I'm not holding my breath for an affordable HD PVR. I think that niche is being filled fairly well by HDTV cards in HTPCs for many enthusiasts.

-MM

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rich Peterson is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 10:42 PM
Rich Peterson

quote:
You'll have a better chance of convincing someone to do this if you can convince them that sales will be "fantastic".

Well, even the most optimistic people would have to admit sales would be far short of "fantastic". Probably quite small and maybe that's why it hasn't happened yet.

Oh, and for those of you that don't think HDTV will fly, you may be right but I think you are wrong. Equipment is still too expensive, but prices are dropping and with the FCC's new (voluntary) initiatives to spur the transition (see the AVSCIENCE HDTV forums for more information on that) you are going to be seeing even more HDTV content in the near future.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Squeak is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Squeak Find more posts by Squeak Add Squeak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squeak
An Inert Gas

quote:

you are going to be seeing even more HDTV content in the near future.

Define HDTV content. 480p? 1080p?

Yes, all stations will transition over to 480p -- they have to at some point, but there is no mandate for 1080p. And I still think they 1080 will be a niche when all is said and done.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TonyD79 is offline Old Post 07-12-2002 10:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TonyD79 Find more posts by TonyD79 Add TonyD79 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TonyD79
Advanced Member

Hmm, DVD and "quality."

Not for the masses. As stated above, DVDs are convenient for the masses and many do like the extra features on the DVDs (making of's and deleted scenes and the like). This is the feature of DVDs that are selling them to my non-techno friends and relatives (those who don't actually buy into DTV or TiVo).

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged