TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> EMINEM??!! Has TiVo Reached a New Low?? <<<

Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Todd is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 08:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Find more posts by Todd Add Todd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd
C Me in a C6

Angry EMINEM??!! Has TiVo Reached a New Low??

I can't believe no one has posted anything about this yet, but when I got home tonight, I discover a new yellow star on the TiVo menu and it says "Preview Eminem in 8 Mile". Inside it, there is a preview of some new movie and an Eminem music video. I am shocked that TiVo would feature a slimeball like this in their system. Kids do use TiVo and they have no business watching garbage from this guy with no way to get rid of it....

"Seriously, I think you are on the right track, but Todd is leading." - jsmeeker

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

minorthr is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 08:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for minorthr Find more posts by minorthr Add minorthr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
minorthr
Want HMO for DirecTv

well, this is beating a dead horse. All I can say is this preview has been approved for all audiences. And the video is not bad at all no swearing no killing and such.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 09:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Find more posts by Todd Add Todd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd
C Me in a C6

Why is this beating a dead horse? As far as I'm concerened, when it comes to thugs like Eminem, I don't care if the particular video or movie preview is approved for all audiences or not. This is not the sort of guy that TiVo should be promoting, period!

"Seriously, I think you are on the right track, but Todd is leading." - jsmeeker

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 09:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

The movie actually looks a bit compelling. I would watch if the main actor did not want me incinerated.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Melody Chalis is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 09:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Melody Chalis Find more posts by Melody Chalis Add Melody Chalis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melody Chalis
Live Before You Die

Todd,

It's all about choices. I prefer to have as many as possible available to me.

You have one, don't watch it.

By the way how's the new car?

But don't take me for granted.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

minorthr is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 09:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for minorthr Find more posts by minorthr Add minorthr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
minorthr
Want HMO for DirecTv

By beating a dead horse I mean every time there is a new yellow star someone is complaining about. No doubt video was to risque, Mike Myers was reading the lines in his interview, how am I going to explain to my kids what a goldmember is, or red dragon how could tivo promote such a violent movie. Not everyone likes them or its content and many feel it should abide by the parental controls, but Tivo says at this point that is not possible. And as far as Eminem goes cash is what makes the world go round and as much as you may hate him the guy brings in tons of cash selling records and is a big name. The movie might not make a dime, but they pay the cash Tivo puts it on. It will go away in 3 or 4 days and you wont have to look at it anymore.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 09:21 AM
Todd
C Me in a C6

I hope TiVo got a lot of cash for it. But I am sick and tired of Hollywood and apparently now TiVo, supporting thugs like this. I have not been one to complain about the yellow star, but I think this crosses the line.

Hey Shannon, the Z is awesome!

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alan is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 09:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for alan Find more posts by alan Add alan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alan
Advanced Member

Haven't watched it yet. My three kids were running around the house playing so I decided to wait until after they go to bed. I have one of his albums, so I had a feeling that it might have a few ear popping words on it. I'll wait for the kids to go to bed. Wonder if the parental controls would keep it from playing if it was too bad or had bad language in it. I guess I've never checked to see if those little yellow starred things have ratings embedded in them.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoLance is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 09:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoLance Find more posts by TiVoLance Add TiVoLance to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoLance
Fey Hero

Eminem preaches hate IMHO. Imagine my feelings when I saw him on my TiVo.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogben is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 10:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogben Find more posts by rogben Add rogben to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogben

Eminem is a simpleton. By some quirk of fate, he is also an enormously talented and marketable simpleton. And by some quirk of human nature, his notoriety (and thus popularity) increases every time some Outraged Citizen starts complaining about him.

At some point in this media-drenched (and theoretically savvy) culture, people are gonna have to learn the distinction between protest that generates change and protest that just feeds the machine.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Klips is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 10:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Klips Find more posts by Klips Add Klips to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Klips

dead horses or not...

I actually remember a day that the idea of buying a product by it's advertised features didn't mean it changed 30 seconds or 30 feet from the point of sell. I am pretty sure that at one time, the one of Tivo's features was to skip passed the advertising to get to the programming. Why do I want ANY of my valuable drive space taken up with unwelcome advertising.

I would like this type of advertising as a comsumer option to turn on or off. I like turning off the tivo suggestions as well, thank you very much...

There I kicked the dead horse, chicken, and cow...

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pv is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 10:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pv Find more posts by pv Add pv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pv
Klein Bottle Washer

Here's a free clue - screaming for the suppression of someone you don't like only guarantees them more attention. If you don't like something, walk away from it.

The downside to free speech is that sometimes people say stuff you hate. Deal with it. PV

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Klips is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 11:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Klips Find more posts by Klips Add Klips to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Klips

This is true... Free speech comes with some gotcha's, but is advertising ever a matter of FREE speech? This is a advertisement to sell something, is it not? When was the last time you say an advertisement promoting recuitment into hate groups and alike. Society does have its limits on acceptable behavor.

But I think that the point here is that while we are offered the choice to screen shows that we don't want our children to see as a feature of the Tivo, but it seems to might be bypassed in this delivery of advertising.

Or I may have missed something... Is this advertising actually rated by the industry and is the Tivo system following the same parental settings that is established by the parent for their kids?

If not, then it is unfair for the Tivo owner to just tell his kids to walk away. We do need to protect our children and thus why we have the parental viewing features to start with.

Last edited by Klips on 10-26-2002 at 11:23 AM

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

badcrc is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 11:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for badcrc Find more posts by badcrc Add badcrc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
badcrc
Thread Killer

quote:
Originally posted by Klips
Why do I want ANY of my valuable drive space taken up with unwelcome advertising.

I'll tell you why, so your tivo still works a year from now. Unlike almost every other company out there, tivo doesn't force you to watch any of these yellow stars, yet they get revenue for it. That's as good as advertising is going to get, and you should be happy they didn't go right for the throat and make you watch some lame ad before each recording or while you're paused, like some other companies do.

Also, you paid for an XX hour unit, and you've still got an XX hour unit. None of the "valueable drive space" you paid for is getting used.

quote:

I would like this type of advertising as a comsumer option to turn on or off. I like turning off the tivo suggestions as well, thank you very much...

I can see that kind of advertising taking off and being very profitable. "Yes, you can advertise on each and every one of our customer's tivos, but keep in mind 75% of them have ads turned off, and only half of the remaining 25% choose to watch them." Sounds like a real money maker .

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Klips is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 11:27 AM
Klips

quote:
I can see that kind of advertising taking off and being very profitable. "Yes, you can advertise on each and every one of our customer's tivos, but keep in mind 75% of them have ads turned off, and only half of the remaining 25% choose to watch them." Sounds like a real money maker

Cool... from the way I am reading this part of your post, how do I set my Tivo to be the 75% that have the ads turned off. I haven't run accross this option on my DirectTivo unit.

I am more than happy to let Tivo make some money off of selling some advertisement as long as I have the option to turn it off at my end. This advertising does take up space on MY Tivo unit, it has nothing to do with what Tivo thinks they can use my space for. Its my hard drive...IMHO Let them try to come get it from me... Thanks...

Last edited by Klips on 10-26-2002 at 11:31 AM

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

badcrc is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 11:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for badcrc Find more posts by badcrc Add badcrc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
badcrc
Thread Killer

quote:
This is true...

But I think that the point here is that while we are offered the choice to screen shows that we don't want our children to see as a feature, it seems to be bypassed in this advertising.

I agree with you and others that these yellow star previews/ads/etc should be filtered through parental controls. HOWEVER, how well is that going to work when I'm fairly certain tivo would want every ad made for a general audience? I haven't seen anything in the yellow stars that a kid couldn't see, and so far all the gripes about this Eminem video seem to be just because of the name "Eminem", not because of the content. I'd bet if the star just said "Preview the movie 8 Mile" and there wasn't an Eminem video, no one would gripe. The only benefit in tivo using parental controls would be not having to edit the content they deliver and limiting the audience. And I'm sure they don't want to limit the audience, so they'd continue making all the ads for a general audience.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Klips is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 11:42 AM
Klips

I am still curious though if this advertisement that is provided in this form is actually rated or not.

Lets say I am a fairly religious person with strong beliefs in my faith. What's to say what someone calls general audience is really appropriate for my children. Only I can do that... or can I?

Over the years, I have seen more and more things rated general audience that I do not consider general enough for young children. I don't know any "Standards" that hold up to Everyone's opinion.

I don't see advertising as a right to free speech, it is a way to sell something! I should be afford more latitude and understanding if I choose NOT to have it available.

Buy the way, I am the kind of guy who uses the privacy manager to have all those phone sells people screened. I don't want to hear anything they have to say nor do I feel the need that I should have to work around them either. The phone doesn't ring... and I shouldn't have to look at those crazy stars either. It just reminds me that everyone is trying to get in my pocket for money. And why is it so bad of me to ask for opting out. I am seeing more and more goverment involvement to reduce the intrusion of advertising into the home. This is just a form of advertising intrusion into my home for me.

Last edited by Klips on 10-26-2002 at 11:46 AM

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

badcrc is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 11:44 AM
badcrc
Thread Killer

quote:
Cool... from the way I am reading this part of your post, how do I set my Tivo to be the 75% that have the ads turned off. I haven't run accross this option on my DirectTivo unit.

Sorry to disappoint but I was just joking with a fictitious quote that a tivo employee might be telling a company that called about advertising on a tivo in your world where anyone could turn off the yellow stars .

quote:

I am more than happy to let Tivo make some money off of selling some advertisement as long as I have the option to turn it off at my end. This advertising does take up space on MY Tivo unit, it has nothing to do with what Tivo thinks they can use my space for. Its my hard drive...IMHO Let them try to come get it from me... Thanks...

The ads are taking up space, but not any space that you paid for from specs listed for the unit. You bought a 35 hour DTivo and with or without ads you'd still have a 35 hour DTivo. And if you had the option to turn off the advertising, what would that solve? First, tivo would lose money, which contradicts your idea of tivo making money, yet allowing you to disable ads. Secondly, your hard drive is partitioned to have the ads as far as I know. Even if you could turn off the ads that space is never going to be reclaimed. All you'd gain is one less menu item that never affected the usability of your tivo in the first place!

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 11:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

yeah... TCPs go to reserved space. The reserved space has *always* been there, and will *always* been there, no matter if there are or aren't any active TCPs.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

badcrc is offline Old Post 10-26-2002 11:59 AM
badcrc
Thread Killer

quote:
Over the years, I have seen more and more things rated general audience that I do not consider general enough for young children. I don't know any "Standards" that hold up to Everyone's opinion.

I agree, but the idea is to conform to most people's opinion of general audience, and not piss off the fanatics.

quote:

I don't see advertising as a right to free speech, it is a way to sell something! I should be afford more latitude and understanding if I choose NOT to have it available.

I'm just surprised no one cuts tivo any slack on this issue. You go on your computer to a web site that pops up ads you don't want to see, FORCING you to view them. You drive down the road and see signs and billboards with alcohol and lingerie and bikini ads. You read a magazine and see more ads you might find objectionable, but by the time you've viewed them, it's too late. You get tons of junk mail you're forced to sift through just in case one might be something important that isn't junk. Then you turn on your tivo and see a yellow star that tells you what it contains inside and you continue on like usual, but THAT is the worst form of advertising you people can complain about? (BTW, I almost don't even read the yellow stars because I usually hit tivo button twice right away and go right into now playing, maybe you should do the same)

quote:

Buy the way, I am the kind of guy who uses the privacy manager to have all those phone sells people screened. I don't want to hear anything they have to say nor do I feel the need that I should have to work around them either. The phone doesn't ring... and I shouldn't have to look at those crazy stars either.

Complaining about a star on the screen that doesn't get in your way in ANY form doesn't sound like you have much to complain about. That just sounds ridiculous. I'd complain about the big PHILIPS logo on the tivo central screen of my two SA tivos before I complained about the yellow star.

Last edited by badcrc on 10-26-2002 at 12:02 PM

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged