TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Service Theft Scam <<<

Pages (20): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
huntersa is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 12:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for huntersa Find more posts by huntersa Add huntersa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huntersa

Angry Service Theft Scam

Just wanted to warn people out there to be wary of buying a used Tivo with Lifetime Service from someone they don't know.

I did this, buying a unit on eBay. It arrived with a dead modem, but I never got anywhere with the seller and managed to get it working with my US Robotics modem.

Anyway all was well until last weekend when I got the warning that the grace period on my "Lifetime Service" unit was about to expire.

Calling up Tivo we found out that the Lifetime Service had been transferred to a new box by the guy I bought mine from.

He had claimed the unit I was using was defective and returned under warranty and so Tivo tranferred the service to the new unit.

Tivo acknowledged the daily calls emanating from my phone number to this device, proving that the unit had not been returned as defective by the seller.

I also faxed them over 30 pages showing the sale of the device from eBay and the subsequent mail exchanges the seller and I had regarding the box. As far as icould see it was irrefutable that I had and was using the device that had Lifetime Service on it, and that the Tivo rules on transfer of service had been violated.

However at the end of the day after escalating as far as I could ,"Myrna" told us that Tivo would not do anything because the original owner had paid for the Lifetime Service - not me, and that I hadn't had the account ownership changed when I took delivery of the machine.

I had them on that one, because when i got the device I went to tivo.com and filled in one of their email forms telling them about the ownership change and asking for them to update records.

They claim they responded to that saying that had to be done over the phone - I never got that email, do you know why? Because they emailed back the original owner!!!!!!!!!! And of course he wasn't about to forward it to me was he?

The guy I bought it from has moved, Tivo won't tell me the phone number he is making his daily calls from so I can't track him down that way, and my "grace period" expired today.

Of course I am angry with the seller, but I am even more angry with Tivo, after having the initial problems with the modem once I got sorted out I was comforted by the fact that I had the Lifetime Service on the machine and I didn't think it could be taken away - the service goes with the device, remember?

So today I relented and signed up for monthly service, but in all good conscience I can no longer recommend the service to other friends and colleagues - I'm no longer an advocate for Tivo, because while the system itself is superb, I cannot condone a company who asked for and was given evidence of such a scam and at the end of the day they do nothing at all about it.

Stuart

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lord Nimon is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 12:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Nimon Find more posts by Lord Nimon Add Lord Nimon to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord Nimon
Delicious!

No offense, but TiVo's policy is clear and simple. The original owner is the only person who has the authority to transfer a lifetime ownership. Otherwise, there would be plenty of scams of the other kind: people claiming that they bought the service from someone else, and expeting TiVo to transfer the service without the approval of the original owner.

I think it's wrong of you to blame TiVo.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 12:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

Actually, TiVo's policy is CLEAR AND SIMPLE.

The original owner CANNOT TRANSFER LIFETIME OWNERSHIP FROM ONE TIVO TO ANOTHER!

Only Hughes, Sony, Philips, or TiVo are allowed to do this once they have received a broken TiVo and sent out another.

TiVo is breaking their own rule here and trying to back out. What utter BS!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

willardcpa is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 12:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for willardcpa Find more posts by willardcpa Add willardcpa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Any recourse through Ebay. You obviously didn't get what you bot??

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 12:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
Only Hughes, Sony, Philips, or TiVo are allowed to do this once they have received a broken TiVo and sent out another.

What happens when a TiVo is replaced under a store extended warrantee? Do they have to send the unit the original back to the manufacturer to switch the service?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SAFW is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 12:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SAFW Find more posts by SAFW Add SAFW to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SAFW
TiVophile

How did you pay for the item? If you used PayPal, you can initiate a claim through them to refund your payment. eBay may intercede on your behalf, but all they can do is blacklist the seller, hardly helping you.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 12:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh

quote:
Originally posted by SAFW
eBay may intercede on your behalf, but all they can do is blacklist the seller, hardly helping you.

Ebay claims to provide up to $200 of fraud insurance.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

huntersa is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 12:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for huntersa Find more posts by huntersa Add huntersa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huntersa

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Nimon
No offense, but TiVo's policy is clear and simple. The original owner is the only person who has the authority to transfer a lifetime ownership. Otherwise, there would be plenty of scams of the other kind: people claiming that they bought the service from someone else, and expeting TiVo to transfer the service without the approval of the original owner.

I think it's wrong of you to blame TiVo.

But surely they can only do that if the device was under warranty and has been returned?

I can prove it wasn't - and have proved it, and Tivo even admit that.

Stuart

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

huntersa is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 12:39 AM
huntersa

quote:
Originally posted by willardcpa
Any recourse through Ebay. You obviously didn't get what you bot??

Difficult that one, it had the Lifetime Service when I purchased it in September, I don't think they would be liable for something that happened several months later.

They later cancelled the seller's eBay account because a couple of people contacted me about troubles thay had with high-ticket items.

I might try SquareTrade though - the seller was a member and they cancelled his membership when he wouldn't arbitrate on the dead modem which was my initial problem.

Stuart

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brettatk is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 12:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brettatk Find more posts by brettatk Add brettatk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brettatk

What kind of unit was it? I know that older SA's TIVO extended a clause that if you bought it before I certain date that you could transfer the lifetime subscription to another TIVO unit. I'm not sure what the date was, something like Jan 2000. If the unit is a newer one then I would say TIVO screwed up and they need to rectify the situation and give you a new lifetime subscription.

Brett

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmoak is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 12:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmoak Find more posts by jmoak Add jmoak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmoak
-no title-

huntersa,
Bless your heart, it looks like the seller, upon receiving the email you were suppose to get from tivo, saw the opportunity to get "free" lifetime service on his new box and put the screws to you in the process.
I hope a tivo rep sees this thread and can help you out.

For those of you who are reading this and considering buying a tivo with lifetime service off ebay, beware.

As SAFW posted, there's not a lot ebay will do to help. They made their cut of the sale and that's all they care about and the seller is free to do it again with another username, at the worst.

Keep in mind you have almost no recourse on bad deals through ebay. The payment method you choose can help some times, but ebay will not.

Please be careful.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drake3 is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 12:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drake3 Find more posts by drake3 Add drake3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drake3

I bought a Tivo Series 2 60 hour unit with lifetime service. It went bad and I exchanged at best buy in the same week I bought it.

I transferred the lifetime service to the new unit on the Tivo website and my new unit registered the change after 1 day of making the web entry.

I don't know if there was a grace period in there, that never appeared on the system information screen.

I assume Tivo got the broken unit back, however, it did not appear that they needed to transfer the service. It looked like the service was trasferred after I made the change on the website.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 01:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

Well something's not right here. It was my understanding that when an authorized repair (swap) is made, the service center notifies TiVo with the new SN and your sub is switched.

TiVo is not going to switch a sub to a new box based only on a phone call. They'd certainly want proof of some kind. Maybe the seller's got an even more involved scam going.

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 01:28 AM
dgh

quote:
Originally posted by drake3
I bought a Tivo Series 2 60 hour unit with lifetime service. It went bad and I exchanged at best buy in the same week I bought it.

I transferred the lifetime service to the new unit on the Tivo website and my new unit registered the change after 1 day of making the web entry.

That reminds me. I had an obscure problem with my SA TiVo(s) and my cable system and I took it back to the store and swapped it for another twice. TiVo had no issue accepting my word on the phone. It hadn't occurred to me until now that I could have sold those as LNIB with Lifetime on ebay instead of actually exchanging them.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dslunceford is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 01:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dslunceford Visit dslunceford's homepage! Find more posts by dslunceford Add dslunceford to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dslunceford

I think Pony or someone else needs to address this -- is the policy that service stays with the box or not?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 01:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

quote:
Originally posted by dslunceford
I think Pony or someone else needs to address this -- is the policy that service stays with the box or not?
The policy is clearly stated. It's their enforcement of the policy that seems to be questionable.

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 01:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlankMan Find more posts by BlankMan Add BlankMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlankMan

I thought eBay's SafeHabor stuff was suppose to help with things like this? You're decision to bid an amount was based on the features the item was described to have. The item then not having those features, in this case the lifetime sub, affects the value of the item, therefore if the value is not what was stated, that is fraud. IMHO you should be able to get eBay to ante up something, $200 is $200. I'd push it with them big time. The seller may be gone, but maybe they'll go after him to recoup or maybe they'll just pay and write it off. You've got nothing to lose but some time spent, but there could be something to gain.

SAT-T60 230h TurboNET (x2)
HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ADent is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 01:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ADent Find more posts by ADent Add ADent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ADent

TiVo honors the extended warranty work of BB, CC, etc - but there appears to be no contractual relationship with them.

Several people have called TiVo and told them they just got their replacement unit from BB, CC, even Phillips, and the CSR transfers the lifetime over.

Even if it is a legitimate replacement, what happens to the original dead unit. I assume there is a scenario where the CC/BB tech gets his hands on it and sells it.

Even if you called TiVo and asked them if you unit has lifetime on it, the owner can call the next day and get the CC replaced unit activated with that lifetime account.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

korn316 is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 01:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for korn316 Find more posts by korn316 Add korn316 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
korn316

I sold my tivo with lifetime on ebay. Everything is fine, what you need to do is contact the seller in advance. Tell them you would want to change the information on the lifetime service, so you would then be in control of the lifetime service and they wouldn't be able to transfer it. Also the feedback is key, try to buy from someone with at least 10 if not 30 feedback.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

huntersa is offline Old Post 12-07-2002 03:21 AM
huntersa

quote:
Originally posted by brettatk
What kind of unit was it? I know that older SA's TIVO extended a clause that if you bought it before I certain date that you could transfer the lifetime subscription to another TIVO unit. I'm not sure what the date was, something like Jan 2000. If the unit is a newer one then I would say TIVO screwed up and they need to rectify the situation and give you a new lifetime subscription.

Brett

It is a Sony SVR-2000, can't tell when it was manufactured though unless the machine number is an identifier.

Stuart

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged