TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> TiVo Music and Pictures Premium Service announced <<<

Pages (11): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cletus is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 02:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cletus Visit Cletus's homepage! Find more posts by Cletus Add Cletus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cletus
connecticutie

quote:
Originally posted by Tonybeans
Again, I'm just speculating, not upset or bashing or anything. Is that not okay?

Well, given that no TiVo has the USB2 in hardware (yet), I find it a bit far-fetched.

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 02:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

quote:
Originally posted by Tonybeans
It would be terrific if external USB drives could be supported -- but I will be very disappointed if some the first official uses for the USB ports show the 1.1 ports on my 60 hour Series 2 to be obsolete.
If that were the case, all the future stuff they promised when they were promoting the original Series 2's (with the un-supported USB's) wouldn't work. Somehow I doubt that's the case.

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwpomeroy is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 02:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwpomeroy Find more posts by cwpomeroy Add cwpomeroy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwpomeroy

I thought it was confirmed that the new boxes HAVE USB 2.0

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tonybeans is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 02:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tonybeans Find more posts by Tonybeans Add Tonybeans to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tonybeans
Beanhead

quote:
So the future stuff they promised when they were promoting the original Series 2's (with the un-supported USB's) won't work? They better hope that's not the case.

That would make a lot of people mad, which is why I think any USB 2.0-only features are unlikely at first but probably inevitable.

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cletus is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 02:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cletus Visit Cletus's homepage! Find more posts by Cletus Add Cletus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cletus
connecticutie

quote:
Originally posted by cwpomeroy
I thought it was confirmed that the new boxes HAVE USB 2.0

Which new boxes, and where does it say they have USB2?

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pablop is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 02:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pablop Find more posts by pablop Add pablop to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pablop
Tall Techie

quote:
Originally posted by Knative
So you still have to wait for the computer to boot up, right? I mean, that's where they're being stored.

All of my pictures are on a home server, which is always on. I have to wait for my desktop PC to boot up because no, I do not have a computer next to the TV and the server does not have a monitor.

But, if the Tivo were to do this I would simply run a network cable from one of my routers to the Tivo and let it read the photos from the server.

As far as the folders go. Media Center only allows you to see pictures in two folders : My Pictures and Shared Pictures. Of course, it allows you to follow folder shortcuts that you place within those two. So, the Tivo would not be organizing the photos....they would already be organized in the source system.

BTW, I am working on a clone of Media Center that will have an alpha release soon. It already supports viewing photos like Media Center ( and even a little bit better ) and has built in support for any remote control.

My idea is that you should not have to buy a whole new computer to get what Media Center does, you may only need a video card with TV out and an optional IR receiver. It's a front end for a Home Theater PC.
It will also support, e-mail, video, music, web browsing, etc. And, I will be borrowing heavily from the Tivo UI.....I love it!

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

self is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 02:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for self Find more posts by self Add self to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
self

For the purposes of playing music (either by copying or streaming MP3 files), and displaying pictures, USB 1.1 is sufficient -- that's 11 megabits/sec, after all, which is also sufficient for playing DVD video. The new combo boxes have USB 2.0. For attaching external disk drives, you COULD do it with USB 1.1, although I'm not sure you'd want to rely on it; USB 2.0 would be better. Although I am not sure I can see DirecTV allowing removable storage, even if TiVo changed their software to allow it.

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 02:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

quote:
Originally posted by Cletus
Which new boxes, and where does it say they have USB2?
The boxes with part numbers starting with 2, as in 240080, 230040 and the Sony SVR-3000 have been reported to have USB2.

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cletus is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 02:58 AM
Cletus
connecticutie

quote:
Originally posted by phone1
The boxes with part numbers starting with 2, as in 240080, 230040 and the Sony SVR-3000 have been reported to have USB2.

Ah, my mistake. I wasn't aware of that.

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markp99 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 03:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for markp99 Find more posts by markp99 Add markp99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markp99
TakoKichi

quote:
Originally posted by pablop
As far as the folders go. Media Center only allows you to see pictures in two folders : My Pictures and Shared Pictures.

From the MC screenshot above, I do see a couple custom/user created folders for photos (Italy, My Dogs)... Maybe what I see there is a "mock-up"?

Last edited by markp99 on 12-13-2002 at 03:11 AM

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pablop is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 03:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pablop Find more posts by pablop Add pablop to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pablop
Tall Techie

Yes, those are folders in the source system, inside My Pictures. The point is that these would not be stored in the target system ( the Tivo ).

Lets say that your Tivo is connected to a network and it supports browsing pictures. The first thing you would have to do is tell it where the pictures "live". You might do this by specifying a UNC path such as "\\mypc\My Pictures".

It would then read that directory and display the contents in a similar fashion to the Media Center screen shot. It would not store any folders itself, simply display them and allow you to follow them.

Those folders would be created and populated using the PC, not the Tivo.

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markp99 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 03:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for markp99 Find more posts by markp99 Add markp99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markp99
TakoKichi

that makes sense, thx

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 03:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

Lots of guesses. It's not ready yet, so I can't tell you much...

What we're doing will work just fine with USB 1.1.

There are many different possible business models for incremental capabilities.

Series1...nope. Sorry guys. The hardware doesn't support it.

Pony

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Breacagan is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 03:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Breacagan Find more posts by Breacagan Add Breacagan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Breacagan
TiVo Forum Special Member

Display of pictures on anything less than HDTV resolution is all but worthless. The resolution available on a standard-definition TV screen is simply awful for picture display.

I have a very nice portable multimedia device with our entire photo collection from 1997, and we never use the video output feature. 3.3 megapixels do not display well at one-tenth the resolution, even with a well-designed zoom capability.

Without the ability to drive an HDTV display, this feature does not add value to the TiVo service in my opinion. I am interested in some of the other possibilities, however!

What he said. --bsnelson
What he said. --mrpurple
* MarkovBot threatens 404's bicycle with a bic pen

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmoak is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 03:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmoak Find more posts by jmoak Add jmoak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmoak
-no title-

mmmmm....video streaming....mmmmmm.....

okokok.... but i can dream, can't i?

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 04:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer

Personally I'm excited that TiVo will be able to play my huge MP3 library... it's served on my Mac, and my AudioTron now plays it nicely in my living room. I really like the AudioTron, but I must admit one feature it desperately needs is video output - to be able to select albums gracefully on the TV screen. The LED on the AudioTron works, but not exceptionally well when you are scrolling through hundreds of albums. TiVo could provide the answer. Hopefully they won't charge too much for this ability, and hopefully it will make it's way to the combo boxes. Otherwise I'll stick with what I've got, thank you...

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jeff412 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 04:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff412 Find more posts by Jeff412 Add Jeff412 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff412

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony

Series1...nope. Sorry guys. The hardware doesn't support it.

Pony

If two TiVo's will be able to share content, you just sold two Series 2's. I'll gladly dump my S1 for this functionality.

Jeff

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike Farrington is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 04:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Farrington Visit Mike Farrington's homepage! Find more posts by Mike Farrington Add Mike Farrington to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Farrington
Fatty McButterpants

I'm somewhat excited about have TiVo as my MP3 player. I've always wanted an Audiotron, but I've been waiting because I knew (assumed) that TiVo was working on this.

But the thing that will make me run out and buy two more TiVo's is if multiple TiVo's can be tied together to act as a multi-tuner TiVo. If I could hook 2,3, or 4 TiVo's into my home network and have the interface act and behave just like a dual-tuner DirecTiVo, then I would be in heaven. Personally, I think that would be the tivo holy grail. Next would be HDTV.

I just wish we could be told what is being worked on. I find it so frustrating to be left in the dark. I understand, but it's still frustrating.

-Mike

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mostman is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 04:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mostman Find more posts by mostman Add mostman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mostman

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff412
If two TiVo's will be able to share content, you just sold two Series 2's. I'll gladly dump my S1 for this functionality.

Jeff

Agreed - this is what I am waiting for.

Forget pictures and MP3s - while cool - they are not worth extra money.

Sharing between TiVos - now that is the stuff we need. I would pay a few extra bucks for that a month.

-Mike

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TK-421 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 04:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TK-421 Visit TK-421's homepage! Find more posts by TK-421 Add TK-421 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TK-421
Stormtrooper

Any chance of two Tivos sharing over the Internet besides intra-house (ala Replay)?

That would make me dump my S1 tomorrow.

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged