TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> TiVo Music and Pictures Premium Service announced <<<

Pages (11): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GimmeMP3 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 11:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GimmeMP3 Find more posts by GimmeMP3 Add GimmeMP3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GimmeMP3

quote:
Originally posted by HDTiVo
How would you folks use TiVo's new ability to play MP3 and JPEG files?

Creative ideas wanted...

Dump my CD changer and have access to my entire music collection at my fingertips, whether I'm at my computer or in the living room. No more scratched CDs, no more changing CDs, wondering where I left them, etc. I can run playlists based on artist, genre, year, etc. If I want to listen to Christmas music, I can listen to my entire colection randomly with a couple of clicks. This beats taking a bunch of CDs out of the changer, putting them away and then putting a bunch more in. If I want something else the next day, I have to do the same thing all over again. A digital music jukebox changes the way you listen to music. Sound familiar?

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BBQ Chicken is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 12:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BBQ Chicken Visit BBQ Chicken's homepage! Find more posts by BBQ Chicken Add BBQ Chicken to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BBQ Chicken
Bling Bling

quote:
Originally posted by dkardatzke
TiVo's fee is already too much for too little functionality. We should get additional services at no charge.
I am with you on this. of course so many people here their undying devotion to tivo and would think you are wrong to say it, but seriously, we are paying over 10 bucks a month for listings that can be freely and easily obtained.

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Saturn is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 12:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Saturn Find more posts by Saturn Add Saturn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saturn
Headless again.

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony

Series1...nope. Sorry guys. The hardware doesn't support it.

Pony

That depends on what you mean by "support". My TiVo has played a .mp3 file, curtesy of a piece of software Embeem hacked in (software decoding, as the hardware audio decoder in a Series 1 can't handle layer 3 audio). Toss on PPP over serial or TiVo/TurboNet, and it sure the heck does "support" it.

"You sir, are my hero." -scooterboy

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogben is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogben Find more posts by rogben Add rogben to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogben

quote:
Originally posted by BBQ Chicken
but seriously, we are paying over 10 bucks a month for listings that can be freely and easily obtained.

By all means, go grab yourself a daily update of Tribune's guide data, parse it into a format that can be consumed by TiVo, and then pony up for the bandwidth to serve a couple hundred thousand daily calls.

Once you're done being spanked and sued into oblivion by Tribune, your coding work is complete, and you've worked enough overtime to pay UUnet, I'm sure someone in the Underground will come up with something to let us access your free and easy guide service.

Thanks in advance for all your hard work.

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BBQ Chicken is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 03:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BBQ Chicken Visit BBQ Chicken's homepage! Find more posts by BBQ Chicken Add BBQ Chicken to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BBQ Chicken
Bling Bling

quote:
Originally posted by rogben
By all means, go grab yourself a daily update of Tribune's guide data, parse it into a format that can be consumed by TiVo, and then pony up for the bandwidth to serve a couple hundred thousand daily calls.

Once you're done being spanked and sued into oblivion by Tribune, your coding work is complete, and you've worked enough overtime to pay UUnet, I'm sure someone in the Underground will come up with something to let us access your free and easy guide service.

Thanks in advance for all your hard work.

Ridiculous reply. I can load up my web browser and go to any number of sites and see the TV listings, and guess what, its free! Why should I pay Tivo so much to provide that service, I have a Tivonet card, i should be able to set up my own computer to download the data, convert it, and then the tivo could get it from there... Regardless my point is their whole business model of making money from subscriptions is flawed, if only they made money from licensing and selling the machines, I bet a lot more people would have one in their house. I personally have about 8 people who think my tivo is cool, and have said they would buy one if it weren't for the monthly fee. I'm sure others have had the same experience.

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mj12 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 03:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mj12 Find more posts by mj12 Add mj12 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mj12

TiVos getting greedy

If they start charging for some of these features that should be free that'll be the beginning of the end. The monthly service charge is already enough, now they want to try to squeeze more out of their users. This is all going to blow up in their face the minute MS releases a serious competing product and gives away all these features for free.

Someone at TiVo marketing needs to go to the MS school of marketing and learn a few lessons.

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jasonl99 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 04:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jasonl99 Find more posts by jasonl99 Add jasonl99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jasonl99
Now New and Improved

quote:
Originally posted by BBQ Chicken
Ridiculous reply. I can load up my web browser and go to any number of sites and see the TV listings, and guess what, its free!

Have at it. I don't see anyone here stoppin' ya.

POST #87 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 07:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Francesco Visit Francesco's homepage! Find more posts by Francesco Add Francesco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Francesco

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona

I second that.

POST #88 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 07:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for W Auggie H Visit W Auggie H's homepage! Find more posts by W Auggie H Add W Auggie H to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

At the moment MP3 players and Digital Cameras are a much, much bigger consumer market than PVRs. By adding this new functionality TiVo may be able to bridge the PVR market with the other larger market. This new functionality is a way to attract new customers from some really big markets.

Personally, I have been waiting for some functionality like this. I have many MP3s and JPGs that I would love to tap into from my computer. I will not make any judgment on extra fees until I see what they are. At the moment I would have to spend a good bit of money to get true networked MP3s to my stereo, plus I like having an all-in-one box. Plus, it is much easier to convince my wife we need to pay a little extra for TiVo than it is to buy another box that has another remote that does something she doesn't care about.

Humax DRT800 DVD-R/TiVo(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
TiVo Series2(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
Philips 30PW850H 30" Widescreen HDTV

POST #89 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmoak is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 08:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmoak Find more posts by jmoak Add jmoak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmoak
-no title-

quote:
Originally posted by Cletus
Read my lips: you can do video streaming to a TiVo, even a series 1, right now. It's been documented for a long time (>1year).

Does the connected tivo's programs show up in the 2nd tivo's "Now Showing" list? ala, you don't have to kill myworld?
Can they share the to-do list?

Sure I can kill myworld and pipe elementals to the hardware and playback mpegs with no control. Heck, I can even feed a tivo a ty from a server via a kludgy pc interface, but that's not what I'm looking for.

If you know of a way to do it using the regular tivo ui without suspending regular tivo operation, I'll not only read your lips, I'll mow your grass, clean your gutters, wash your car, take your wife shopping at the mall AND bring you back a case of cold beer when I'm done!

...read your lips???

POST #90 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

trojanrabbit is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 08:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for trojanrabbit Visit trojanrabbit's homepage! Find more posts by trojanrabbit Add trojanrabbit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trojanrabbit
Napping with Buddy

quote:
Originally posted by GimmeMP3
I think those folks complaining simply don't get it, which is surprising for TiVo users. By all accounts, Turtle Beach has done very well with the AudioTron. For the same or slightly more money, you're getting a TiVo AND the functionality of an AudioTron. And your AudioTron-equivalent comes with a TV interface. I absolutely applaud this. Assuming the music interface is at all usable, I will be buying a Series2.

I 'get it' quite well.
Right now if I want a series 2, my only real choice is the AT&T version. I haven't heard anything to suggest that it still isn't using the old series 2 hardware. Why would I want to downgrade my picture quality and be stuck with the old USB ports.

If a new 80 hour gave me serial control I might think about it. The bedroom could use an MP3 player, and on a 20" set the PQ wouldn't matter as much.

Don't ask for more than you can handle, you may get it. - The Great Gazoo

POST #91 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

andyf is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 08:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for andyf Visit andyf's homepage! Find more posts by andyf Add andyf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andyf
Long time TiVo user

Did you guys happen to note the beta application on TiVo's website? It is asking whether you have network connections, types etc. Also, what kind of consumer devices you have, is this new?

POST #92 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maubp is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 08:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for maubp Find more posts by maubp Add maubp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maubp

Lightbulb Tivo with digitial cameras

How many people own a Tivo and a Digital Camera?

Most digital cameras these days have USB cables, and Tivo 2 supports USB.

I know that interfacing each camera is different, and probably difficult (see the GPhoto linux project) but you can see where I'm going with this... or if the tivo could talk to a usb card reader it might be easier.

Would you pay to use your tivo to look at photos on your camera?

On a different track, some digital cameras can be used as a web cam. Would anyone buy a "Tivo Camera" sold to work with a Tivo Series 2? Record your kid's birthday parties etc onto the tivo.

POST #93 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmoak is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 08:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmoak Find more posts by jmoak Add jmoak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmoak
-no title-

Re: Tivo with digitial cameras

quote:
Originally posted by maubp
...Would you pay to use your tivo to look at photos on your camera?

nope

POST #94 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Knative is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 08:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Knative Find more posts by Knative Add Knative to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Knative
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Tivo with digitial cameras

quote:
Originally posted by maubp
Would you pay to use your tivo to look at photos on your camera?

No, I'd just use my camera's (included) video output cable. Wouldn't involve downloading or a computer. And it still works at the homes of those TiVo-less folks. Or those of us Series 1 TiVo folks.

POST #95 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Okeemike is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 09:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Okeemike Visit Okeemike's homepage! Find more posts by Okeemike Add Okeemike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Re: TiVos getting greedy

quote:
Originally posted by mj12
If they start charging for some of these features that should be free that'll be the beginning of the end. The monthly service charge is already enough, now they want to try to squeeze more out of their users. This is all going to blow up in their face the minute MS releases a serious competing product and gives away all these features for free.

Someone at TiVo marketing needs to go to the MS school of marketing and learn a few lessons.

The purpose of a company is to make money. Money is defined as constant revenue stream. A constant revenue stream is monthly payments from clients (i.e. monthly subscriptions).

By being able to show a steadily increasing stream of revenue, they company grows, the stockholders make a profit, and everyone's happy. Remember: we've purchased a SERVICE, not an appliance.

POST #96 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Okeemike is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 09:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Okeemike Visit Okeemike's homepage! Find more posts by Okeemike Add Okeemike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

quote:
Originally posted by andyf
Did you guys happen to note the beta application on TiVo's website? It is asking whether you have network connections, types etc. Also, what kind of consumer devices you have, is this new?

Where is this link??? I can't find it.

POST #97 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csallen is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 09:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for csallen Find more posts by csallen Add csallen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csallen

While interested that TIVO is going to offer these premium services for an additional fee just wondering --- aren't these services currently available on Replay TV for a month fee less than TIVO charges for its basic services?

POST #98 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markp99 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 09:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for markp99 Find more posts by markp99 Add markp99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markp99
TakoKichi

Beta application is located here...

http://www.tivo.com/4.7.asp

POST #99 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dobbie1 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 09:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dobbie1 Find more posts by dobbie1 Add dobbie1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dobbie1

Smile

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony
There's more than what was mentioned in that article. Quite a bit more, actually.

Pony

I have just order my second unit, banking on the new and enhanced features.

POST #100 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged