TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> TiVo Music and Pictures Premium Service announced <<<

Pages (11): « First ... « Prev 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
miltimj is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 10:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for miltimj Find more posts by miltimj Add miltimj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
miltimj

Lightbulb How about... the 'R' word?

quote:
Originally posted by mostman
Sharing between TiVos - now that is the stuff we need. I would pay a few extra bucks for that a month. [/B]

Hmm.. dare I mention the 'R' word? The ReplayTV already has this ability, a built in Ethernet jack, ability to modify your recordings online (myreplaytv.com), etc, etc. What TiVo is doing is hardly new, and is "a few extra bucks" cheaper than TiVo.

Not that you all wanted to hear that, since you all apparently don't venture outside this forum..

POST #101 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwpomeroy is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 10:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwpomeroy Find more posts by cwpomeroy Add cwpomeroy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwpomeroy

and if ReplayTV had a DirecTivo I'd look at it too.....

On second thought, I wouldn't, I love my TIVO.....

you go away now.

POST #102 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

docdar is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 10:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for docdar Find more posts by docdar Add docdar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
docdar

Unhappy

So, I'm supposed to be excited about playing MP3s through my TV speakers??? That's certainly not something I'd be willing to pay for.

POST #103 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 10:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah
TiVo Forum Special Member

miltimj, I am hopeful that Tivo implements the features that ReplayTV already has in a better way.

For example, myreplaytv.com has many problems associated with it.

Another example, streaming over a home network has problems if you're doing anything else with the Replays - like recording other shows, watching another show, etc. Anything other than having it do nothing can cause many problems when you're trying to stream.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

POST #104 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markp99 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 10:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for markp99 Find more posts by markp99 Add markp99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markp99
TakoKichi

quote:
Originally posted by docdar
So, I'm supposed to be excited about playing MP3s through my TV speakers??? That's certainly not something I'd be willing to pay for.

...would play through my home theater receiver....should sound pretty good and probably better than my PC speakers!

POST #105 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 10:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah

docdar, I don't think anyone is going to be forcing you to pay for this. And I don't use my TV speakers... everything (Tivos, DVD player, etc.) feeds into a stereo system.

I can see how people in the market for a standalone MP3 player with network connectivity (which apparently can cost quite a few bucks, although I've never researched them) could choose to get a Tivo instead, assuming the fee associated with it was pretty reasonable.

POST #106 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmoak is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 10:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmoak Find more posts by jmoak Add jmoak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmoak
-no title-

Re: How about... the 'R' word?

quote:
Originally posted by miltimj
Hmm.. dare I mention the 'R' word? ....

Sure you can!

It's just the basic lack of dependability in the replay boxes to do the core of the work that a pvr is suppose to do that keeps most of us away from that platform.

If it had some sort of to-do list, season passes, conflict managment, no "maintance" reboots, etc. (you know the list), I would seriously consider it.

Till then, even without in home show sharing, I'll keep my tivo.

POST #107 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 11:02 PM
BrettStah

Here's a standalone MP3 player - haven't tried to find the lowest price on it, but at this place it costs $249:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tracertek/slimhometmp3.html

So, if you're in the market for a Tivo (or already own a Tivo) and an MP3 player, and Tivo has a one-time fee that is less than a standalone player, it may make perfect sense to get the Tivo with MP3 support. Plus you wind up with fewer needed connections to your home theater receiver, fewer electrical plugs and other wires to deal with, fewer boxes to find a place for, etc.

POST #108 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 11:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer

Better link here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/

After careful comparison of this to the AudioTron, however, it's obvious that the AudioTron is the *much* better piece of equipment.

For only about $40 more for the AudioTron, you get digital output, a real remote control (as opposed to a repurposed Sony) and a hardier component (as opposed to just an LED display.) The SliMP3 also relies on a server application to be running on your PC, and doing all the processing and web accessibility. The AudioTron has that all built in to it's circuitry and simply accesses your PC files via SMB (Windows File Sharing.) Anyone looking at the SliMP3 would be well served to look seriously at the AudioTron.

Still what TiVo would have that trumps BOTH of these... is full video output. Browsing throgh 1,000's of songs (or albums!) is a lot easier on a TV screen than it is on a small LED display.

POST #109 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GimmeMP3 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GimmeMP3 Find more posts by GimmeMP3 Add GimmeMP3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GimmeMP3

Re: TiVos getting greedy

quote:
Originally posted by mj12
If they start charging for some of these features that should be free that'll be the beginning of the end. The monthly service charge is already enough, now they want to try to squeeze more out of their users. This is all going to blow up in their face the minute MS releases a serious competing product and gives away all these features for free.

Someone at TiVo marketing needs to go to the MS school of marketing and learn a few lessons.

They did, and it's $1,500 to $3,000, which is slightly more than 'free'.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,547468,00.asp

POST #110 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

papabrody is offline Old Post 12-14-2002 12:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for papabrody Find more posts by papabrody Add papabrody to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
papabrody

I don't know if I would ever use the mp3 and jpeg functionality, but I think TIVO is going in the wrong direction with adding this at an additional fee. When TIVO increased the monthly fee to $13, IMO, a lot of people started to balk. Now when reviewers are going to state $18-20/month it will really turn people off. Even if it is an optional service, people don't like feeling that they are getting a lower tiered service.

Personally, I have been under the impression that part of my subscription fee was going for software enhancements (along with guide data and support, OH and profit). I have no intention of giving TIVO any more of my money.

Finally, there are a lot of PVR features that TIVO owners have been crying out for, folders, batch save to vcr, soft delete, soft padding ......... I would have liked TIVO to have addressed these PVR functions rather than spend its precious resources trying to morph my TIVO into a media center at an extra expense for myself.

POST #111 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dengel is offline Old Post 12-14-2002 12:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dengel Visit dengel's homepage! Find more posts by dengel Add dengel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dengel
Linux or Die!

If it is a passthrough thing I'd be happy. Now... if they can make my TiVo play some .mpg (DIVX) files off of my SMB server... THAT would be something well worth it!

d.

POST #112 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

miltimj is offline Old Post 12-14-2002 12:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for miltimj Find more posts by miltimj Add miltimj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
miltimj

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by cwpomeroy
On second thought, I wouldn't, I love my TIVO.....

you go away now. [/B]

Ah yes, so eloquent and objective. Thanks for proving my point.

POST #113 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 12-14-2002 12:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer

quote:
Originally posted by dengel
. Now... if they can make my TiVo play some .mpg (DIVX) files off of my SMB server...

Ah yes, something like this:
http://www.broadq.com

...would be cool indeed.

From yesterday's New York Times:

"For those with PlayStation 2 consoles and network adapters, BroadQ has an answer: qCast, which streams movies from the computer to the PlayStation 2. The console plays them on the TV.

The qCast system, which sells for $49.95, consists of two parts: software that allows a Windows, Linux or Macintosh computer to share files with your game console, and multimedia software, which runs on the PlayStation 2, that can browse your computer and play its video and audio files. It supports the most popular video formats, like Divx 5 and MPEG-4, but some movies in RealMedia and the less common MPEG formats won't play. QCast automatically updates through the Internet when booted, and BroadQ plans to add support for other formats.

At this point, qCast, which can be ordered through www.broadq.com, has only the most basic functions. There is no way to fast-forward or rewind a video; all you can do is play and pause. BroadQ says that adding features like rewind is a priority but that it will require "major modifications and optimizations" to implement."

POST #114 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

miltimj is offline Old Post 12-14-2002 01:11 AM
miltimj

BrettStah,

It seems then that you just want the hardware upgraded. There's not much you can do about streaming at the same time as recording, without superior hardware to what SonicBlue and TiVo are offering. Sharing across your home network now is better than waiting until you can do it at the same time as recording/playback (which seems a ways off).

jmoak,
The list you make seems minor compared the added benefits. You can do season passes, and though it records reruns, those are easy enough to delete. What is more annoying than deleting a couple shows is having to skip through the commercials for *everything* you watch. Also, what's wrong with myreplaytv.com? (And, errr... it's better than nothing, and even better than something that you have to pay more for..)

The commercial auto-skip, built-in ethernet, and superior audio/video in/out connections on the ReplayTV is what sold me on it.

Note: I just recently purchased a ReplayTV, so I don't have a lot of experience with them both. My bro-in-law has a TiVo, and says had he not gotten it for free, he'd probably have gotten a ReplayTV too.

Another thing... TiVo subscriptions (monthly) are $3 more than ReplayTV.. and they want to *add* to it to give the *same* features as the ReplayTV? It just doesn't add up...

POST #115 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Okeemike is offline Old Post 12-14-2002 01:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Okeemike Visit Okeemike's homepage! Find more posts by Okeemike Add Okeemike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Re: How about... the 'R' word?

quote:
Hmm.. dare I mention the 'R' word? The ReplayTV already has this ability, a built in Ethernet jack, ability to modify your recordings online (myreplaytv.com), etc, etc. What TiVo is doing is hardly new, and is "a few extra bucks" cheaper than TiVo.

Not that you all wanted to hear that, since you all apparently don't venture outside this forum..

Wow. Post #2 and you're already making an excellent attempt at intentionally offending the tivocommunity users.

You bring up some good points, ReplyTV does indeed allow their uses to share media (it takes days to accomplish this, however), and schedule recordings (wouldn't THAT solve all my problems ). Kudos. Wonderful. It's a shame that no one wants their product.

Answer these questions:
(1) Show me the ReplayTV users goup
(2) Who has a larger user base? (Tivo went from 280k to 510k in the past year, and is predicting 1M+ in the coming year)
(3) Who's stock price is higher (SBLU = .66 TIVO = 5.44)

While interesting, it' obvious that the "bells and whistles" Sonic Blue packs into their unit are indeed interesting, but they're not what the general public wants to see (not at their current prices, however).

POST #116 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pablop is offline Old Post 12-14-2002 01:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pablop Find more posts by pablop Add pablop to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pablop
Tall Techie

Please don't let this thread degenerate into a holy war!

POST #117 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Okeemike is offline Old Post 12-14-2002 01:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Okeemike Visit Okeemike's homepage! Find more posts by Okeemike Add Okeemike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

quote:
Originally posted by pablop
Please don't let this thread degenerate into a holy war!

Jihad!

POST #118 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmoak is offline Old Post 12-14-2002 02:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmoak Find more posts by jmoak Add jmoak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmoak
-no title-

quote:
jmoak,
The list you make seems minor compared the added benefits. You can do season passes, and though it records reruns, those are easy enough to delete.

If the networks move the show to another timeslot/day, the tivo will follow it, replay won't(unless it's new slot is within +/- an hour and on the same day). It's really just something that you won't miss, unless you've gotten use to not having to worry about it.
quote:
also posted by miltimj ..
What is more annoying than deleting a couple shows is having to skip through the commercials for *everything* you watch.

That's something that I don't miss, but I can see that it's something that you've gotten use to and would not want to do without.
That's the way I feel about the things I've mentioned in my prior post. They seem minor to you, but are extremely important to me.
quote:
also posted by miltimj ..Also, what's wrong with myreplaytv.com?

Nothing I know of. Why? Is there a time lag between when you make the changes on the web site and when they show up on your box?
Sorry, couldn't help myself...
Even if they put it on the tivo, I've got no use for it. I could see it being handy to some, it's just not too important to me.

It's the desire for that single feature(in home show sharing) that keeps me posting in threads like this, but the lack of it is not enough to make me switch to a platform that's missing features I feel are just very basic and important pvr functions.

I'm not about to switch and give up features that are important to me just to get a single feature I'd like to have, just as I'm sure you'd feel the same way if someone came along and tried to talk you out of your auto commercial skipping, saying that "It's just not that important".

Last edited by jmoak on 12-14-2002 at 02:14 AM

POST #119 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jcblack is offline Old Post 12-14-2002 02:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jcblack Find more posts by jcblack Add jcblack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcblack

alright alright... I'm a skeptic, but I'll have to see it to believe [in] it.

same as Microsoft's Media Center PC, I had to see it to like it, and, I really like it. I'm assuming that this will be like that. But just not a PC, and you gotta pay for it (though the pc costs a LOT more).

waiting to see it.

POST #120 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged