TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> CHEAP video/audio/ir distribution from Radio Shack, only $9.97! (if you can find one) <<<

Pages (14): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Packy is offline Old Post 12-20-2002 11:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Packy Visit Packy's homepage! Find more posts by Packy Add Packy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Packy
Consumer Whore

Lightbulb cheap VIDEO/AUDIO/IR DISTRIBUTION from Radio Shack, only $9.97! (if you can find one)

This is a deal I should have posted over here earlier but I forgot. Radio Shack has what they call an "A/V Home Network", which distributes video/audio/ir through your phone lines. The SKU is 150-1975.

It is on clearance for only $9.97 if you can find one in a store! Even if you can't, call around and see if any RS's out of your area have them. If they do, call up and ask them to ship it to you. They should say yes, and shipping should be free (it worked for me). I've managed to get the last local one and have another shipped from a store about three hours away. They ship UPS.

Here is a link to the manual.

IMPORTANT INFO:

(1) it may or may not work with your DSL (it doesn't work w/ mine)
(2) if it does NOT work with your DSL or if there is a lot of interference, use a separate phone cord to connect the sender and receiver (works great for me)
(3) any Radio Shack SHOULD be able to ship you a unit, so call around, be nice, and you should be able to get one
(4) you CAN distribute more than once source through the transmitter. I have my DVD player AND TiVo sending signals into the transmitter. As long as only one unit is on at a time, the signal goes through perfectly. That, and the IR blaster is positioned so it hits both the TiVo and DVD player.

POWER ADAPTER INFO:
For those of you missing power supplies, a few people have mentioned that a 12v DC 300mA power adapter will power these just fine (I am not responsible if your box goes *poof* though!)

Output: ............................. 15V DC, 300 mA (Class 2 Transformer)

The Radio Shack units also should use the same power adapter as the Terk Leapfrog LF-10S. Both models need 15v DC. I'm assuming they need a center positive plug.

Here's a thread about the deal over at fatwallet and over at Anandtech.

Also, here is a review, and another one.

I have to say the video and audio quality, as well as the responsiveness of the IR relay is QUITE nice. I'm just routing our TiVo signal into the bedroom, but it looks and sounds great. The video signal is probably around 90% (quality-wise) of the original signal. BTW, it doesn't work well with most DSL, so you may have to have a phone cable directly connecting the units rather than using your home wiring.

ENJOY!

"I am a consumer whore!"

Last edited by Packy on 01-28-2003 at 03:46 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

willardcpa is offline Old Post 12-21-2002 12:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for willardcpa Find more posts by willardcpa Add willardcpa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Just to follow up on Packy's post. First, thanks for the heads up. I located one at the Santa Clara RS store (you didn't have to have your second one UPS'd) . Second, from what I can see these things are made by RCA, but are a "spitting image" of the Leapfrog units. I have a leapfrog (its not with me now so I can't verify 100%) but from looking at the manual and the components in the box - sure looks like a leapfrog. So the price is definetly right

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 12-21-2002 04:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap
TiVo Forum Special Member

Thanks for the tip! I just picked up the last two sets at my local RS. (I figure the second set will make a nice gift.) What a deal!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drosoph is offline Old Post 12-21-2002 04:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drosoph Visit drosoph's homepage! Find more posts by drosoph Add drosoph to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drosoph
Distinguished Member

Dang, none in DFW !!!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Packy is offline Old Post 12-21-2002 04:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Packy Visit Packy's homepage! Find more posts by Packy Add Packy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Packy
Consumer Whore

I'm glad people are finding this helpful! Most of the posts from the forums the deal came from were along the lines of "Well, I got the last one, but what can I do with it??". There won't be anyone here asking that

Now I just need to decide if I want to get extra remotes or not! Technically, I only need once since the Tivo would really only be controlled from one room at a time...

And yeah, willardcpa, you are correct. These are identical to the Terk Leapfrog ones. In fact, I think both reviews are actually of the Terk-branded model. I'd imagine that you could use them with each other even.

"I am a consumer whore!"

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

esoin is offline Old Post 12-21-2002 05:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for esoin Find more posts by esoin Add esoin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
esoin

I found one... wee.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jrrob8 is offline Old Post 12-21-2002 05:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jrrob8 Find more posts by jrrob8 Add jrrob8 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jrrob8
Tivo Fanatic

got 3 on the deal, you can use these with a regular phone cord, don't have to go thru phone system wires. when i hooked it up to my phone system i got some interference.

Phillips DSR-7000 since 7/2003 [35 hours ]
Hughes HDVR2\HDVR3\HDVR2 since 9/2003 [35 hours ]
Gateway AR-230 DVD recorder

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

linh is offline Old Post 12-21-2002 10:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for linh Find more posts by linh Add linh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
linh
TiVo Forum Special Member

I found 2 at a local Radio Shack tonight (as if I'm going to giveaway my chance to grab 'em :P ). I'll call and re-confirm tomorrow and pick them up after work.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Platt is offline Old Post 12-22-2002 01:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Platt Find more posts by David Platt Add David Platt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Platt
Circa 1974

Well, it took a little bit of legwork, but I think I got the last two in Pittsburgh. Thanks for the heads-up on this one, Packy!

The first store I went to told me that they had two in stock and would hold them both for me. When I got there, there was only one box. I asked where the second one was, and the guy whom I spoke with on the phone said "there's two in the one box; I thought that's what you meant." I pointed out to him that the "two things" in the box were one transmitter and one receiver, but he didn't seem to get it.

The manager at that store helped me track down a second one (or so I thought). He called another store, they said they had one in stock, and they held it for me. I drove clear across town to get it (braving a mall on the Saturday before Christmas), and the box they have held for me only has the transmitter in it. They find one for me at a store "a couple miles down the road", which turned out to be more like ten miles, but I finally got ahold of a second one.

Now what do I do with these things?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randyf is offline Old Post 12-22-2002 06:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for randyf Find more posts by randyf Add randyf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randyf
*Null*

Just got the last 2 from my local RS!

I don't know what I am going to do with them, but.... at that price how can you pass them up ?!!

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ramblnman is offline Old Post 12-22-2002 09:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ramblnman Find more posts by Ramblnman Add Ramblnman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ramblnman
Hello Mr. Kotter

Thanks Packy! For $10 the Christmas gift just got better.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

packerfan is offline Old Post 12-22-2002 09:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for packerfan Find more posts by packerfan Add packerfan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
packerfan
Proud Papa

It took about a dozen phone calls and two separate trips to some local radio shacks, but I finally managed to track down 2 of them. Thanks Packy.

-Homer J. Simpson

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 12-22-2002 10:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

If anyonw can find an extra and is willing to help a fellow tivo-ite, please PM me.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ira_l is offline Old Post 12-22-2002 12:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ira_l Find more posts by ira_l Add ira_l to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ira_l

I also had to call about eight RSs in the area. The one in the Jefferson Valley Mall in Yorktown Heights, NY had two and I bought one.
The audio is great but the video looks like 'better than VHS or cable, but not as good as satellite.' I too am getting some interference.

It's quite watchable and you can't beat the price.

Thanks, Packy!!!

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tonybeans is offline Old Post 12-23-2002 08:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tonybeans Find more posts by Tonybeans Add Tonybeans to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tonybeans
Beanhead

I picked up two in Muskegon, Michigan, and they still had one left. (I didn't want to be too greedy.)

Composite video only. Works great, IR blaster and all. Video interference (lines and "waves" which are worst when viewing solid color, like in cartoons or in TiVo menus) is more than I'd like to put up with but for $10, it's bearable during most playback.

Thanks for the heads up!!! Wife is very happy about TiVo in the bedroom!

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cjblack is offline Old Post 12-23-2002 09:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cjblack Find more posts by cjblack Add cjblack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cjblack

Good god!

My lord! I bought 2 of these a year ago for $100 each!

They are an awesome tool.. saved me from having to get a 2nd Tivo for the bedroom!

If you see it, buy it! You'll find a use for it, trust me.

CjBLacK

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Catboy17 is offline Old Post 12-23-2002 11:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Catboy17 Find more posts by Catboy17 Add Catboy17 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Catboy17

Huh?

I've got two questions:

A. What exactly does this do and how does it do it etc.

B. Why are people getting more than one?

Sorry if I'm completely clueless.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cjblack is offline Old Post 12-23-2002 11:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cjblack Find more posts by cjblack Add cjblack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cjblack

In a nutshell..

You plug the "transmitter" into any a/v device (i.e. Tivo, DVD player, etc.). The transmitter then plugs into a phone jack and sends the a/v signals through the phone lines. You plug the receiver into any other phone jack in your house and connect a TV or VCR and - ouila! You can watch your Tivo way across the house in another room!

It also sends IR signals through the phone wire as well - so you can use your remote control wherever the receiver is located and it will control the device that is connected to the transmitter.

I have my transmitter connected to my Tivo in the living room. I have the receiver in my bedroom hooked up to my television. Works like a charm! The only thing to keep in mind is that if you have a setup like mine, someone in the living room has to watch whatever you're watching on the Tivo. Remember - even though it makes it seem like there's 2 Tivos, there's still just one!

CjBLacK

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogo is offline Old Post 12-23-2002 01:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogo Find more posts by rogo Add rogo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogo
Advanced Member

Thank you Packy.

Mark

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jerobi is offline Old Post 12-23-2002 08:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jerobi Find more posts by jerobi Add jerobi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jerobi
News/Deal Junkie

I love you.

Just called a few RS's, they are holding the last two for me. I'm headed over ASAP after work. I've been looking for a set of these and balked at the $40 price I kept seeing on Ebay, etc...

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged