TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> CHEAP video/audio/ir distribution from Radio Shack, only $9.97! (if you can find one) <<<

Pages (14): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Packy is offline Old Post 12-27-2002 11:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Packy Visit Packy's homepage! Find more posts by Packy Add Packy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Packy
Consumer Whore

My wife LOVES the gift. She hasn't even seen it in use yet, cuz I installed it when she had already left for my parent's house for the holidays.

I updated the original post to answer the most common questions. Well, it makes them more defined than before

"I am a consumer whore!"

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoJedi is offline Old Post 12-27-2002 08:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoJedi Find more posts by TiVoJedi Add TiVoJedi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoJedi

I called some local shacks and one had a couple of them, so I asked them to hold the 2 of them for me. I drive through Christmas Eve traffic, taking a half hour drive for a usual 10 minute drive. Anyway I finally get to the RS in the mall and confront the guy that put them behind the desk for me and he says he's sorry.. a transmitter and power supply is missing on each one. He said they were complete and put behind the desk when I talked to him on the phone. I am thinking the employees saw it was such a great deal, so they lied to me about them being incomplete so they could purchase them for themselves. Merry Christmas!

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lormcp is offline Old Post 12-28-2002 02:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lormcp Find more posts by lormcp Add lormcp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lormcp

Smile

one phone call and my RS said they have several. If when I get there and they have a lot more I will post again, or buy them all and put them on half.com

"I have no idea what's goin on" -- Towlie

2 phillips DVR6000's (un mod)
1 with a bad hard drive, but covered under a warranty!

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike20878 is offline Old Post 12-28-2002 11:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike20878 Find more posts by Mike20878 Add Mike20878 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike20878
Jake's dad

Great find! I called the first Shack on the list near my office and their inventory showed one in stock. They said not to rely on that, but I stopped by after work and the guy went in back and came out with one!

Gonna try it out tomorrow...

Mike

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TVbug is offline Old Post 12-29-2002 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TVbug Find more posts by TVbug Add TVbug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TVbug

Got one - I think...

I just bought the last "demo" model at my local RS. The open box has the two units (receiver/transmitter), two power supplies, a couple of phone cables, and what I guess is the Infrared Remote transmitter "tower". No installation or user's guide, though. I wonder if this is a complete package. Is the setup as simple as it looks? Anything special I should know? (Anyone care to scan in their installation diagram?)

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 12-29-2002 06:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Got one - I think...

quote:
Originally posted by TVbug
No installation or user's guide, though.

The user's guide is available here:

http://support.radioshack.com/suppo...doc64/64714.pdf

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randyf is offline Old Post 12-29-2002 06:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for randyf Find more posts by randyf Add randyf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randyf
*Null*

Re: Got one - I think...

quote:
Originally posted by TVbug
I just bought the last "demo" model at my local RS. The open box has the two units (receiver/transmitter), two power supplies, a couple of phone cables, and what I guess is the Infrared Remote transmitter "tower". No installation or user's guide, though. I wonder if this is a complete package. Is the setup as simple as it looks? Anything special I should know? (Anyone care to scan in their installation diagram?)

I'd scan it, but you can get it here in html, or PDF format..

http://support.radioshack.com/support_video/56308.htm

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mysterytour2000 is offline Old Post 12-29-2002 09:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mysterytour2000 Find more posts by mysterytour2000 Add mysterytour2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mysterytour2000

Unhappy I've got 2 but...

I was able to pick up one in Atlanta and another in Warner Robins while I was on vacation, but for some reason they don't work very well in my condo. I think it's because it's 60 years old and built of steel and concrete. The phone wiring is also in poor shape. I've tried wireless versions as well and thought that this may work, but no such luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If not let me know if you're interested in taking these off my hands.

Thanks,

(sorry for creating a new posting of this message back with the main messages. if someone could delete it I would appreciate it. thanks.)

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ellinj is offline Old Post 12-29-2002 10:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ellinj Find more posts by ellinj Add ellinj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellinj
TiVo Forum Special Member

noticed that there are a few of these on ebay today.

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 12-30-2002 01:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

I managed to grab what must be the last unit in SE Massachusetts or Rhode Island on Friday, and installed it yesterday (on its own dedicated run of Cat 5.) Works great, with a very faint hum on the audio when there's "silence" being broadcast.

It does seem like the Shack's stocking computers aren't terribly accurate. Seemed like the computer thought several stores had 3 or 4 in stock, but a phone call revealed that there were in fact none. I suppose the possibility exists that all the phone call did was alert the salesperson to the deal, and they were suddently mysteriously "held"... but that's a little paranoid.

Thanks to the original poster for the tip!

Last edited by Dennis Wilkinson on 12-30-2002 at 01:30 AM

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Brit6 is offline Old Post 12-30-2002 08:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Brit6 Find more posts by Brit6 Add Brit6 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brit6
Canadian Proud

Picked Up 1 today

wow i went to one of my local radio shack (frackville, PA) and i looked on the shelf and saw the unit, i then looked at the price tag, and it said $49.99 so i toke the unit and walked up to the dude and said is this on clearance, and he said lemme check, so he looked it up and he said yup $8.97. I then said alright how many do u have, and he said last one is the floor model, so i said i'll take it.

I might go to another RS tomorrow and see if they have any..wonder why the computer came up as $8.97 instead of $9.97.

Wonder if they have these in canada?

That's my story =)

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drake3 is offline Old Post 12-30-2002 09:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drake3 Find more posts by drake3 Add drake3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drake3

Cool

Had to drive an hour to get one, got the display model but it cost me $9. I hooked it up tonight and it works great!

Thanks for the heads-up. I think I will make it a game tomorrow to try to find some more of these.

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markz is offline Old Post 12-30-2002 09:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for markz Find more posts by markz Add markz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markz

Unhappy I still can't find one.

I have been to four stores and called two others and still can't find one. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Mark

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike20878 is offline Old Post 12-30-2002 10:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike20878 Find more posts by Mike20878 Add Mike20878 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike20878
Jake's dad

Sweet, it works! I've got a little double image, but that could be the phone line. I'm going to get a line splitter and try the second, unused line.

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kingcull is offline Old Post 12-30-2002 10:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kingcull Find more posts by kingcull Add kingcull to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kingcull

I'm getting video but audio has tons of interference. I've tried running with and without the phone lines with the same result. I've checked the audio connections and they're fine. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the heads-up about this sale.

JC
NYC

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ramblnman is offline Old Post 12-30-2002 09:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ramblnman Find more posts by Ramblnman Add Ramblnman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ramblnman
Hello Mr. Kotter

When I first hooked it up, I got a ton of interference (the 2.4GHz phone also caused interference when it was in use). Like Mike20852 said, I then connected it to the second (unused) line and everything works swimmingly.

Can't beat it for $10.

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

john123 is offline Old Post 12-30-2002 10:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for john123 Find more posts by john123 Add john123 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john123
Deleted Posts: 20412

I just managed to get one of these on Saturday - the last one in my local Radioshack.

The cost was $8.97 plus tax.

It does work, though with some issues - I had to disconnect the phone I had in the same socket as the receiver, and minimize the number of extension leads used, otherwise I lose just about all color from the picture.

There is also some banding in the picture, but nothing that makes it unwatchable on a 20 inch TV. Not bad for $9 - though I'd be returning it if I'd paid $150 for it!

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lormcp is offline Old Post 12-31-2002 01:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lormcp Find more posts by lormcp Add lormcp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lormcp

markz --

I got one Friday evening and the computers still showed a few in the Indiana area. Try the RS site and call around some more. I know there aren't any in the Carmel/ North Indy area though. I think the employees are catching on.

Mine works great, but I am using it more as a remote extender than getting the signal through the telephone line. I wish I could have gotten 2.

One thing to think about, the other TVs have to be close to a telephone line.

"I have no idea what's goin on" -- Towlie

2 phillips DVR6000's (un mod)
1 with a bad hard drive, but covered under a warranty!

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike20878 is offline Old Post 12-31-2002 02:00 AM
Mike20878
Jake's dad

quote:
Originally posted by lormcp
One thing to think about, the other TVs have to be close to a telephone line.

When we were building our house, I put phone lines behind every tv as I wasn't sure where I was going to put the TiVo.

Mike

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sacherjj is offline Old Post 12-31-2002 04:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sacherjj Visit sacherjj's homepage! Find more posts by sacherjj Add sacherjj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sacherjj
Recumbent Cyclist

quote:
Originally posted by lormcp
I got one Friday evening and the computers still showed a few in the Indiana area. Try the RS site and call around some more. I know there aren't any in the Carmel/ North Indy area though. I think the employees are catching on.

Dolt! I guess I don't have to run over to the Radio Shack at 86th and Allisonville and see if they have any. Kind of weird to see a direct reference to where I live on the board though.

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged