TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> CHEAP video/audio/ir distribution from Radio Shack, only $9.97! (if you can find one) <<<

Pages (14): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
destek is offline Old Post 12-31-2002 06:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for destek Visit destek's homepage! Find more posts by destek Add destek to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
destek

Ha - scored #3 in Madison!
Supposed to be here this week. They sent it from another store in Rockford!
This is quite a scavenger hunt...

Des

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd76 is offline Old Post 12-31-2002 07:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd76 Find more posts by Todd76 Add Todd76 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd76

I went to three stores on Dec. 22 in the Chicago suburbs. No luck. The employees at each store had no knowledge that the product even existed.

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattster28 is offline Old Post 12-31-2002 07:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattster28 Find more posts by mattster28 Add mattster28 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattster28

I just got one too, but they didn't have the power cords or the box (I think they're going to order the plugs for me tomorrow). They just sold me the 2 units.

-What else is supposed to come with these 2 (transmiter and receiver) units?

-I also noticed there is an IR outlet in the back of the transmitter. What is supposed to be plugged in here?

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Polcamilla is offline Old Post 12-31-2002 08:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Polcamilla Find more posts by Polcamilla Add Polcamilla to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Polcamilla

Score!! I got *3* of them (at last, there's an *advantage* to having a dozen Radio Shacks within a five mile radius)!

I only need one (I *might* be able to come up with a use for second) so if you're still desperate, PM me.

A couple issues:

a) Interference -- I'll monkey with it and see what I can do.

b) The IR extender isn't working -- I have a couple spare IR blasters hanging around the house, so I may try to see if it's that. Otherwise, ideas?

All in all, pretty cool, especially for the price. At last I can put something on the TV for my son in the living room instead of having him in my bedroom!

Edited: Ran a dedicated line of phone wire and that solved both problems. Now I just need to figure out where to *put* it.

Last edited by Polcamilla on 12-31-2002 at 09:10 AM

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattster28 is offline Old Post 01-01-2003 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattster28 Find more posts by mattster28 Add mattster28 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattster28

need AC adaptor

Hi all,

I got a set at the local Radio shack, however the set was in their display case and they didn't have the DC 15 V adaptor power plugs for neither the receiver or the transmitter.

The store called the main Radio Shack inventory center and found out that they discontinued making these.

Does anyone know where I can get 2 DC 15V adaptors to make this work?

thanks,
Matt

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike20878 is offline Old Post 01-01-2003 02:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike20878 Find more posts by Mike20878 Add Mike20878 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike20878
Jake's dad

Re: need AC adaptor

quote:
Originally posted by mattster28
Hi all,

I got a set at the local Radio shack, however the set was in their display case and they didn't have the DC 15 V adaptor power plugs for neither the receiver or the transmitter.

The store called the main Radio Shack inventory center and found out that they discontinued making these.

Does anyone know where I can get 2 DC 15V adaptors to make this work?

thanks,
Matt

RS sells universal adaptors. Would they maybe give you a pair free or at a discount?

Mike

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SquirrelyM is offline Old Post 01-01-2003 04:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SquirrelyM Find more posts by SquirrelyM Add SquirrelyM to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SquirrelyM

I had my local RS store transfer one of these from another location. I called the store today to see if it had arrived, and the manager complained about this transaction. He said it cost him about $80 to sell a $9 product. I'm assuming there was some store-to-store purchase performed behind the scenes, and he had to pay actual cost to the other store. I'll readily admit that I don't know much about retail accounting procedures, but this doesn't sound like a particularly efficient process. Can anyone explain this to me?

Needless to say, I don't think this guy is going to be interested in transferring any more for me.

Also, it appears that the stores have been warned against taking credit card orders over the phone, so having one shipped doesn't seem likely.

In any event, it's a fun little scavenger hunt.

POST #87 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattster28 is offline Old Post 01-01-2003 04:11 AM
mattster28

the guy at my local RS wouldn't transfer the unit because he realized he was going to lose money...

you're lucky!

POST #88 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

packerfan is offline Old Post 01-01-2003 04:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for packerfan Find more posts by packerfan Add packerfan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
packerfan
Proud Papa

The manager at my radio shack was more that willing to get 2 of them shipped to his store from another across the state.

-Homer J. Simpson

POST #89 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike20878 is offline Old Post 01-01-2003 05:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike20878 Find more posts by Mike20878 Add Mike20878 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike20878
Jake's dad

quote:
Originally posted by ellinj
If your phones are wired for two lines but you don't have a second line try this .

Plug the sender in the line 2 jack.

Doh! I picked up two of these on my way home from work today only to find they won't work. I have Cat 5e RJ-45 jacks in my house. It looks like it's a four line jack (I think the #'s 1-8 on the inside of the jack are for each wire?). So, I guess it reasons that a 2-line splitter won't work. Is there such a device for an RJ-45 jack?

Thanks,
Mike

POST #90 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ellinj is offline Old Post 01-01-2003 06:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ellinj Find more posts by ellinj Add ellinj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellinj
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by packerfan
The manager at my radio shack was more that willing to get 2 of them shipped to his store from another across the state.

He must not be a very smart manager. These things cost the store $60, which is a $50 loss on the stores P&L, hence a reduction in the managers bonus.

POST #91 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

farleyruskz is offline Old Post 01-01-2003 06:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for farleyruskz Find more posts by farleyruskz Add farleyruskz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
farleyruskz
Nunya

quote:
Originally posted by ellinj
He must not be a very smart manager. These things cost the store $60, which is a $50 loss on the stores P&L, hence a reduction in the managers bonus.

Maybe he was more concerned with keeping the customer happy by providing excellent service?

POST #92 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chippy is offline Old Post 01-01-2003 10:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chippy Find more posts by Chippy Add Chippy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chippy
Danceaholic

Does anyone know if this product works with the wireless modem jacks?

POST #93 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 01-01-2003 12:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike20852
Doh! I picked up two of these on my way home from work today only to find they won't work. I have Cat 5e RJ-45 jacks in my house. It looks like it's a four line jack (I think the #'s 1-8 on the inside of the jack are for each wire?). So, I guess it reasons that a 2-line splitter won't work. Is there such a device for an RJ-45 jack?

If your RJ45s are wired to one of the typical standards (568A or 568B, the only difference being wire color assignment) the two you bought should work just fine. RJ-45 (8 pin) jacks will accept RJ-11 (2 or 4 pin) plugs just fine (designed that way) and the 8-conductor wiring schemes are supersets of the 4- and 2- conductor flavors.

Are you sure all those pins are actually connected from point-to-point?

Do you have a patch panel anywhere? If so, do the patch cables for the ports in question have 2, 4, or 8 conductors? (If you've got Cat5e installed with the intention of supporting networking, most sane installers will have pulled home runs to some form of patch panel, to allow a given port to be patched to either the telephone service or to your hub/switch.)

But yes, if all the conductors are connected, you should be able to run 4 lines to each jack.

POST #94 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 01-01-2003 01:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chippy

Radio Shack doesn't really provide enough technical info to know for sure. What technical docs I could find do claim that it operates at 30MHz, that it won't interfere with voice or modem traffic on the same phone line, and that it's a digital device (haven't had the urge to crack the case on one to see what parts I can ID.) Given that that frequency is above audible (20Hz->20kHz) and (if I remember correctly) outside the range that most modems operate in (which goes along with the "won't interfere with modem traffic,") I would guess not. I'm not sure what range of frequencies wireless modem jacks will pass or at what level they'll pass them.

If you've already got the wireless modem jack, and can find one of these gadgets, it's not too pricey to find out for sure at $10.

POST #95 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

destek is offline Old Post 01-01-2003 09:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for destek Visit destek's homepage! Find more posts by destek Add destek to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
destek

quote:
Originally posted by Chippy

Nope - it is looking for a carrier the wireless units won't pass.

Des

POST #96 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike20878 is offline Old Post 01-02-2003 01:15 AM
Mike20878
Jake's dad

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Wilkinson
If your RJ45s are wired to one of the typical standards (568A or 568B, the only difference being wire color assignment) the two you bought should work just fine. RJ-45 (8 pin) jacks will accept RJ-11 (2 or 4 pin) plugs just fine (designed that way) and the 8-conductor wiring schemes are supersets of the 4- and 2- conductor flavors.

Are you sure all those pins are actually connected from point-to-point?

Do you have a patch panel anywhere? If so, do the patch cables for the ports in question have 2, 4, or 8 conductors? (If you've got Cat5e installed with the intention of supporting networking, most sane installers will have pulled home runs to some form of patch panel, to allow a given port to be patched to either the telephone service or to your hub/switch.)

But yes, if all the conductors are connected, you should be able to run 4 lines to each jack.

No, unfortunately, there's no patch panel. They wanted to sell us some $800 networking panel when we were building the house and I passed.

All I know is that I plugged the phone cord into the line 2 jack and got nothing but a blue screen. When I kept the receiver in the line 2 position but had the transmitter on line 1 I got a signal but a very poor one. That made me think that maybe there is some kind of connection with the second line. I'm not sure why using line 2 in both locations won't work.

Mike

POST #97 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike20878 is offline Old Post 01-02-2003 01:18 AM
Mike20878
Jake's dad

Aargh!!

I just learned the hard way that not only is the receiver passing the TiVo remote downstairs, but it's doing the same with the digital cable remote. We have a digital box upstairs and one downstairs. I was TiVo'ing the Buffy marathon today when I noticed the channel had changed; then all of a sudden the cable guide came up. My wife was surfing channels upstairs and it was doing the same on the downstairs box.

I guess I need to jury rig something to keep the signal from reaching the cable box. Or maybe I can point the remote extender down instead of how I have it now - resting on the cabinet, facing up towards the TiVo.

Mike

POST #98 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike20878 is offline Old Post 01-02-2003 04:53 AM
Mike20878
Jake's dad

Damn, looks like they didn't connect the second line wires. Would I just need to get another block like this one and punch in the appropriate wire pairs?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachment: phone-block.jpg
This has been downloaded 105 time(s).

POST #99 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drmcm is offline Old Post 01-02-2003 05:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drmcm Visit drmcm's homepage! Find more posts by drmcm Add drmcm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drmcm

That did take a good bit of phone work, but I just picked up 3 of these!

Called all around the Bay Area, then proceeded outward aways from the Bay Area, and asked each store in a new area to look for inventory in their nearby stores, etc. Kept finding stores with the computers saying they have one or two, but then they couldn't find any. Finally, found a store in Stockton that had three new in the box!! They wouldn't ship to me, I tried asking my local RS to get them for me, but they wouldn't do it since it's on such a discount. So today I took the kids and went for the 1.5 hour drive, picked them up, went to a fast-food joint with a play place so the kids would be happy, and then back.

Thanks a lot for pointing out this deal!! Sure is too bad they won't just ship them, but it was worth a good bit of calling around.

-Mike

POST #100 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged