TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Series 2 to be tied to Apples -- <<<

Pages (13): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jsnell is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 10:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsnell Visit jsnell's homepage! Find more posts by jsnell Add jsnell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsnell
TeeVee.org

Aww, let's not scare emory out of the thread.

And regardless of what it was called, it started in California. By the way, did you know that AOL got its start providing services for Apple?

-jason, who is running Mac OS X, has a DirectTiVo running TiVoWeb...

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

emory is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 11:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for emory Visit emory's homepage! Find more posts by emory Add emory to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
emory
TiVo Gave Up

Re: Re: Rendevous for PC already exists

quote:
Originally posted by Avian
You're confusing Rendezvous with 802.11b.

Yes he was. Apple did pioneer 802.11b though. If I may wave the family flag a little harder.

And as for the next post; I couldn't possibly be scared away from a thread like this without moderator intervention.

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jib2 is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 11:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jib2 Find more posts by jib2 Add jib2 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jib2

Another Mac/Tivo home -- 3 Macs (currently) and 3 DirecTivos. Of course, none are series 2... but I was very pleased at the announcement.

TiVo1: Philips DSR6000
TiVo2: Hughes DirecTivo
TiVo3: DirecTV R10

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dth21 is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 11:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dth21 Find more posts by dth21 Add dth21 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dth21

Yet another Mac/TiVo user.

Anyone know what the PC/Mac breakdown of TiVo users is? It's a stat that TiVo's got to have lying around somewhere in their marketing dept.

Anyways, glad to see TiVo supporting Rendezvous. I've been following the digital audio receiver market for awhile and this new service from TiVo could meet my needs exactly (essentially, SliMP3 + plus bigger display).

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nrc is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 11:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nrc Visit nrc's homepage! Find more posts by nrc Add nrc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nrc
Cracker Soul

Apple's Rendezvous code is available as open source. It includes software to support UNIX, Linux, and Windows-based systems and devices. I wouldn't be surprised if TiVo will announce Rendezvous software for other platforms, or at least identify a supported third party source, when they make their announcement.

The great thing about this is that it means that TiVo will be using network storage for MP3's and photos using an open standard. All they have to do to enable network video storage is put some kind of DRM into the mix.

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

psm1005 is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 11:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for psm1005 Visit psm1005's homepage! Find more posts by psm1005 Add psm1005 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
psm1005

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Apples & TiVo's... now there's a niche market within a niche market. I'm sure there's 17 people out there who're happier now, though.

At leat 18 And I am one of them!

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

psm1005 is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 11:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for psm1005 Visit psm1005's homepage! Find more posts by psm1005 Add psm1005 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
psm1005

quote:
Originally posted by emory
way to check those facts.

it wasn't called America Online in California.

And AOL still owns the original offices they had in Vienna. Love@AOL was there two years ago when I worked at AOL in the hey-day where we all drove fancy cars and wiped our butts with jacksons.

Was it not Q-Link? and Just a side note the Vienna office is now closed as is the Herndon office. Everything in Nothern VA but Reston and Manasass has been moved to Dulles now.

<grin> and watch what you say about AOL.. Some of use like them.

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregpr is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 11:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gregpr Find more posts by gregpr Add gregpr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregpr
Tragically Unhip

quote:
Originally posted by JPriller
How about TiVos using Rendezvous to discover each other?

Lots of possibilities there, like forming one SuperTiVo that appears like a single TiVo with multiple tuners and the total capacity of each box added together. That'd be sweet.

Now that would get me off my butt to upgrade and buy a couple new Tivos.

Unfortunately, that would also mean running cat-5 to each Tivo so they could share files. No way could you share them over wifi with any reasonable expectation of speed. Or could you?

Join us in Las Vegas for TC-Con '05, June 13,2005!

*5130*

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LoadStar is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 12:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoadStar Find more posts by LoadStar Add LoadStar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

quote:
Originally posted by jsnell
Aww, let's not scare emory out of the thread.

And regardless of what it was called, it started in California. By the way, did you know that AOL got its start providing services for Apple?

-jason, who is running Mac OS X, has a DirectTiVo running TiVoWeb...

Mmm... not exactly. They got their start providing services for Commodore 64 users. Remember QuantumLink? That was AOL before AOL was AOL. AOL started as Quantum Computer Services, running the QuantumLink network. (I was on way back then on my C64 and my 300 baud modem. )

Apple then hired them to replace the AppleLink network (that had been run by General Electric) - Quantum's network was known as AppleLink Personal Edition. They ran AppleLink Personal Edition for a few months, before deciding to end the relationship with Apple. Once this happened, Quantum Computer Services renamed the AppleLink Personal Edition "America OnLine."

Now that I'm THOROUGHLY off topic, I'll end.

Oh - and by the way, chalk up another TiVo and Apple user... though unfortunately I have a series 1, so I can't take advantage of this latest announcement.

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dbates is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 12:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dbates Visit dbates's homepage! Find more posts by dbates Add dbates to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbates

Me too: TiVo, and iMac, iBook running Safari!

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 02:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by psm1005
At leat 18 And I am one of them!

OK, it's what, 19 users then, not 17. And I'm being nice to those multi-Mac households in letting them count each machine as a separate user.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 02:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

ZeroConf will get bigger, but it's still quite limited in scope as of right now. Still, any support is good support, and hacking up a working ZeroConf/Rendezvous compatible setup with a Tivo using PC's instead of Crapples shouldn't be too difficult. Probably will be as easy as running a program to give IP config info to the Tivo.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guy Kuo is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 02:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Guy Kuo Visit Guy Kuo's homepage! Find more posts by Guy Kuo Add Guy Kuo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guy Kuo
Advanced Member

Let's see....

2 TiVo's
2 PC's
3 Mac's (numbers 13, 14, and 15 we've owned)

Every one does their share of work for two people here.

Oh, almost forgot.....

0 Replays
0 Ultimate TV's

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

emory is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 08:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for emory Visit emory's homepage! Find more posts by emory Add emory to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
emory
TiVo Gave Up

quote:
Originally posted by gregpr
Now that would get me off my butt to upgrade and buy a couple new Tivos.

Unfortunately, that would also mean running cat-5 to each Tivo so they could share files. No way could you share them over wifi with any reasonable expectation of speed. Or could you?

Well!

WiFi is an 11Mbit technology.

USB isn't exactly blazing fast. I stream video and audio over WiFi all the time in my house... an OS X file server holds all my video/movies/photos/applications/home directories in my house.

heck, i do network login over WiFi. (for windows users: think logging into an NT/2K domain with roaming profile where a server hosts your junk)

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

michad is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 08:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for michad Find more posts by michad Add michad to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
michad
Wedded bliss

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Apples & TiVo's... now there's a niche market within a niche market. I'm sure there's 17 people out there who're happier now, though.

COOL! I'm one of 19

Best. Thread. Resurrection. Ever.
Hughes DVR2 35hr

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

emory is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 08:45 PM
emory
TiVo Gave Up

quote:
Originally posted by Otto
ZeroConf will get bigger, but it's still quite limited in scope as of right now. Still, any support is good support, and hacking up a working ZeroConf/Rendezvous compatible setup with a Tivo using PC's instead of Crapples shouldn't be too difficult. Probably will be as easy as running a program to give IP config info to the Tivo.

HAH HAHHAHAHAHAH WOW OTTO THAT CRAPPLES COMMENT WAS FUNNY. OH CRAP. HAHAHAHAAH. WOW. CRAPPLE. BECAUSE APPLE's ARE CRAP. AHAHAHAHAH WOW HAH HAH.

hah.

ha.

I don't see how zeroconf is limited in scope.

What exactly is limited about a discovery protocol for TCP/IP?

Have you checked it out yet?

HP has rendezvous/zeroconf firmware for its network printers already. You go to print a document, and it tells you what printers you have available to you and which one is closest to you.

What's wrong with that?

You're in a conference room with no formal network, but an ad-hoc 802.11b OR 802.11g! network is formed automatically so you can share files with a coworker.

Stewart is a truly brilliant guy - I can't think of anyone I'd rather have writing this spec out and implementing it. The iTunes sharing alone is a killer app for rendezvous; add TiVo to the mix and it gets even more impressive.

For the uneducated:

The forthcoming iTunes4 with Rendezvous allows all Macs on a network (wired + wireless) to advertise and discover MP3 playlists on all machines and play them over the network.

No copying files, no manual labor. Just, "Oh, Bill is here. He loves Britney Spears. There is is Brittney Spears collection, *click*, oh wait. I hate Brittney Spears."

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Marco is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 08:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Marco Find more posts by Marco Add Marco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco
Malfeasor

Don't worry, PC zealots. Your chance to play will come along too. Eventually ...

Marc
1 HR10-250; 1xDSR6000, 1xDVR40; People evangelized to date: 19

I was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to kick in. -- Hunter S. Tolkien

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

emory is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 08:50 PM
emory
TiVo Gave Up

quote:
Originally posted by michad
COOL! I'm one of 19

The server admins know how many Mac OS/Windows/Linux/Solaris/IRIX users we have here.

Anyone care to

grep "Macintosh*;" access_log | uniq | wc -l
grep "Windows*;" access_log | uniq | wc -l

Or use something like access-watch to check?

I bet it's at least half of the Windows users. For unique visitors.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

michad is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 08:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for michad Find more posts by michad Add michad to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
michad
Wedded bliss

quote:
Originally posted by emory
The server admins know how many Mac OS/Windows/Linux/Solaris/IRIX users we have here.

That doesnt take into consideration that some of us [ME] are forced to use PCs at work.

iLoveMyMacMyPuppies&MyFiancee

Best. Thread. Resurrection. Ever.
Hughes DVR2 35hr

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

walters is offline Old Post 01-08-2003 09:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for walters Find more posts by walters Add walters to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walters
TiVo Forum Special Member

What would be the alternative? UPnP? No, thanks.

TiVo did good, here

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged