TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Series 2 to be tied to Apples -- <<<

Pages (13): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
emory is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for emory Visit emory's homepage! Find more posts by emory Add emory to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
emory
TiVo Gave Up

quote:
Originally posted by JPriller
That's interesting.

Now, nobody take this wrong, but I'd have thought there'd be a higher percentage of Mac users at such a site. The gay and lesbian people of my acquaintange tend to be more politically active and (liberal, environmentalist, vegetarian, etc, take your pick) and I'd have thought more likely to go with a platform like the Mac that's considered "outsider" like they are, and has nothing to do the ugly corporate conglomerate culture of Microsoft and IBM.

But what do I know.

Nobody is going to take that wrong.

More queer people I know use a Mac.

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

Might me time for me to become part of the best 5%

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nrc is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 12:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nrc Visit nrc's homepage! Find more posts by nrc Add nrc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nrc
Cracker Soul

I'm surprised how short sighted some folks are being on this. I guess being Applephobic can cloud your vision.

TiVo is dedicated to making a consumer electronics product that is easy to use for the average consumer. They seem to have decided that the future for their product involves home networking. They've chosen an open standard for simplifying network configuration as part of that effort. That's really all there is to this. Complaining that it's an Apple-centric thing makes about as much sense as complaining that 802.11b was Apple-centric because Airport was an Apple product.

So the protocol is "limited". So what? It's just a block in the architecture. It has a limited role to play so as long as that role lies within the limits of the protocol what difference does it make?

Will this be something people will pay extra for? All I can say is that if it's more than $5 a month I would just as soon buy an Audiotron. But if it's a step toward making all home media available anywhere in the home from a central media server, than it's a worthwhile development even if it's not a product I'll pay for tomorrow.

Who's anyone at all

-- Warren Zevon

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joker454 is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 12:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joker454 Find more posts by joker454 Add joker454 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joker454

Re: oh dear. YDGI.

quote:
Originally posted by emory

I don't want to burn media. I don't want to copy things back and forth. I just want access to my data across my network from any device, and TiVo is becoming part of that family.

Ya, having to burn media is silly. It would be neat to have easy access to videos and pictures on our computers and play them on the home theatre setup. Incidently there have been products to access Mp3's available for a few years now. We used to have a Rio Receiver a few years back, basically it hooked up to the network and let us play mp3's from our computers thru our home theather.

I don't see why someone would want to pay extra for this type of service though. With the basic Tivo service, one can argue that they are always updating guide data and hence need to be paid for that since it's an ongoing thing. With this, once its hooked to your network, thats it! At that point Tivo isn't doing anything more for you. Why a recurring fee?? It seems more like that type of thing that would have a one time fee, like spending an extra $50 to get the model with those extra features. I don't think the recurring fee model for this type of serivice will fly with customers, unless they are offering alot more with it.

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

emory is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 12:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for emory Visit emory's homepage! Find more posts by emory Add emory to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
emory
TiVo Gave Up

Re: Re: oh dear. YDGI.

I agreed with your post; but had some thoughts to air out here:

quote:
Originally posted by joker454
I don't see why someone would want to pay extra for this type of service though. With the basic Tivo service, one can argue that they are always updating guide data and hence need to be paid for that since it's an ongoing thing. With this, once its hooked to your network, thats it! At that point Tivo isn't doing anything more for you. Why a recurring fee?? It seems more like that type of thing that would have a one time fee, like spending an extra $50 to get the model with those extra features. I don't think the recurring fee model for this type of serivice will fly with customers, unless they are offering alot more with it.

I don't think TiVo is going to charge XY a month for the use of a USB ethernet adapter you already have.

I suspect you'll pay for the service, the OS enhancement, the service. Perhaps there will be other things too; it's going to be implied that you are on a network to do this; so UN-support will be SUPPORTed and THEN the sparks will fly.

Part of this service will be programing your TiVo remotely over the web. We know that. Replay does it and people complain that TiVo's can't.

Anything networking is "enhanced service" and I'm perfectly happy to pay for it - the fact that it will work with my Macs is puuurrre gravey for me!

Edit: oh, christ. i just wrote "sparcs" instead of "sparks". haha.

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

overnut is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 01:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for overnut Find more posts by overnut Add overnut to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
overnut

When is this 'enhanced service' suppose to be available?

overnut

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 02:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by JPriller
That's interesting.

Now, nobody take this wrong, but I'd have thought there'd be a higher percentage of Mac users at such a site. The gay and lesbian people of my acquaintange tend to be more politically active and (liberal, environmentalist, vegetarian, etc, take your pick) and I'd have thought more likely to go with a platform like the Mac that's considered "outsider" like they are, and has nothing to do the ugly corporate conglomerate culture of Microsoft and IBM.

But what do I know.

This is the far scarier statistic, though:

And that's only the top 5 variations of AOL registered IP blocks. A good chunk of "Other" inlcudes AOL users too. Of course, we're usually directly linked from a few AOL pages that time of year, too.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #87 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 03:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
And it turns out that what it does, it does well. I don't see it any more or less limited than anything we currently use on IP networks today. It's hard for me to understand why you say it's "limited", implying it has limited usefulness.

It is every bit as useful as any alternative, perhaps moreso.

Do you understand English? I don't think the word "limited" seems to mean what you think it means.

It's limited in what it does *right now* compared to it's *future potential* which is still *under development*. How you got anything else out of my post is beyond me.

quote:
It is your playground "my dad is smarter than your dad" mentality that leads me to believe you don't know what you're talking about sometimes.

You're the one getting bitchy and reading everything I post out of context. Calm down, have a beer, and read again, this time, without the concept firmly stuck in your head that I'm against the Zeroconf protocol set. I'm not. I said that. Twice.

quote:
You don't present your professional opinion very often; in the case of your prior post, it was a personal and childlike opinion that was given. I would really rather not get into who does what for a living and who knows what about whom.

Then don't bring it up in the first place. Oh, and FWIW, I have no "professional" opinion because I'm very unprofessional. I have an opinion. Period. I don't make any distinctions between the various opinions I have.

quote:
If you have a professional opinion, give it. Don't wrap it in childish name calling. (I am refering of course to terms like Microsloth, M$, Crapple, Winblows, StunOS, Slowaris, etc)

If you are all ticked about "crapple" then frankly, go the heck away. I have no time to waste arguing with someone who can't take a joke now and then.

quote:
Yeah, there are like what, five whole other people that have been authoring drafts on the subject?

I don't know any of them from Guttman (). I've seen what one or two people in the working group have done, and I've been sufficiently impressed with their work to think they have a good team for a good project.

Did I ever say otherwise?

quote:
I am not an IP protocols engineer. This isn't my normal circle of people to deal with. You probably DO know more about zeroconf than I do, but that isn't saying much, as you have pointed out.

Beside the point.. You're misinterpreting everything I actually write to fit your own agenda and spin. Stop it.

POST #88 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

psm1005 is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for psm1005 Visit psm1005's homepage! Find more posts by psm1005 Add psm1005 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
psm1005

quote:
Nobody is going to take that wrong.

More queer people I know use a Mac.

:Raises Hand:

However I am not liberal or vegetarian

Personally I can't wait to see how TiVo implements these new services. But to be honest I don't see why TiVo can't support both Mac and Windoze.

POST #89 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jeff Edsell is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 03:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Edsell Visit Jeff Edsell's homepage! Find more posts by Jeff Edsell Add Jeff Edsell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Edsell
Pseudo-Intellectual

Make that 20 Mac and Tivo Users

This is awesome.

Sure, some folks have Tivos that can do some of this stuff -- if they hacked them together that way. With this, just plug your Tivo into your home network, and it's done. No opening the case. No Unix commands. (Sorry Unix fans.)

The devices themselves do the potentially difficult and annoying work for you, which IMHO should always be the ultimate goal towards which technology strives. (Particularly digital technology.)

This is a freakin' great idea.

So -- would this model Tivo work with this new feature, because it has the USB ports?

POST #90 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nrc is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 04:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nrc Visit nrc's homepage! Find more posts by nrc Add nrc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nrc
Cracker Soul

Re: Make that 20 Mac and Tivo Users

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Edsell
So -- would this model Tivo work with this new feature, because it has the USB ports?

Not unless DirecTV has TiVo add the feature.

To clarify, DirecTV now controls the service offered on the combo boxes. As I understand it from TiVoPony's comments, the features of the service are specified by DirecTV. We can no longer assume that every feature offered on stand alones will show up on combo boxes.

Last edited by nrc on 01-09-2003 at 04:19 AM

POST #91 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmdeane is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 04:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmdeane Find more posts by dmdeane Add dmdeane to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

Wow; so much heat, so little light. For the record, I have a TiVo (series 1), a Mac, and a PC (not counting the older "junker" PCs). Oh, and Rush Limbaugh is a big Mac user, so there goes the stereotype about Mac users.

Speaking of Apple, I have this fantasy of Apple signing a deal with TiVo, similar to the deal Sony struck. I'd like to see some of that Apple design genius applied to a TiVo; not only would it look nicer, but I'd bet it would have a lot more features which TiVo itself has not offered: builtin ethernet port, firewire port, TiVoweb as standard part of the software, maybe caller ID as well, and maybe some other much needed software updates: undelete, folders, etc. Never happen; it's just a fantasy, of course.

POST #92 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Y-ASK is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 04:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Y-ASK Find more posts by Y-ASK Add Y-ASK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Y-ASK
Why Ask?

I guess my main complaint is that I want to archive what I have already paid for to watch. I already have a computer hooked up to my entertainment system. I can watch captured video on the tube or play MP3s directly to the stereo (granted I can't do it with a remote control). I want to be able to move shows around my house so that if I record a show in my normal viewing area and I view that show, I then don't have to view it again when my wife wants to watch it. I would like to be able to move it to another Tivo like Replay... I also would like to be able to copy the video files off the box to a computer for archive purposes. I do get it! I'm just a little self centered on the subject since it really doesn't buy me much in my current setup. I mean come on, who doesn't have six networked computers and three Tivos in their home all connected via wireless connections?

Y-ASK

POST #93 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jeff Edsell is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 04:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Edsell Visit Jeff Edsell's homepage! Find more posts by Jeff Edsell Add Jeff Edsell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Edsell
Pseudo-Intellectual

Re: Make that 20 Mac and Tivo Users

quote:
Originally posted by nrc
Not unless DirecTV has TiVo add the feature.

To clarify, DirecTV now controls the service offered on the combo boxes. As I understand it from TiVoPony's comments, the features of the service are specified by DirecTV. We can no longer assume that every feature offered on stand alones will show up on combo boxes.

Thanks -- I didn't know that. This is from the Tivo Series 2 FAQ:

quote:
Will the services be available for earlier model TiVo DVRs and the DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo?
Many of the concept features for future home entertainment services take advantage of TiVo Series2 broadband connectivity, which is not supported by first-generation TiVo DVRs. However, we are working with our partners to define additional services compatible with all TiVo DVRs.

So we will have to wait for the Premium Service to be officially announced before we know which specific receivers will be able to take advantage of it.

POST #94 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

emory is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 05:33 AM
emory
TiVo Gave Up

oh, don't worry!

quote:
Originally posted by psm1005
:Raises Hand:

However I am not liberal or vegetarian

Personally I can't wait to see how TiVo implements these new services. But to be honest I don't see why TiVo can't support both Mac and Windoze.

I don't see ANYONE, especially TiVo excluding Windows users with this service.

However - I would be *very angry* if they cut Macs out of the game. The news they'd be using Rendezvous made me elated!

Very warm fuzzies; I was tired of seeing friends with Replay TV and Windows PC's having all the fun.

POST #95 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 05:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

Re: oh, don't worry!

quote:
I was tired of seeing friends with Replay TV and Windows PC's having all the fun.

OK, I just seriously couldn't resist. So please forgive me.

Buy a real computer.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #96 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 06:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

Re: Re: oh, don't worry!

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
OK, I just seriously couldn't resist. So please forgive me.

Buy a real computer.

And people say the Mac fans are bad...

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #97 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

G_S_O_D is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 07:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for G_S_O_D Find more posts by G_S_O_D Add G_S_O_D to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G_S_O_D

I've got a Dual 1ghz and an iBook connected via airport...the thought of a TiVo communicating with them via Rendevous is really incredible.

Imagine having access to all of your video, mp3's and pictures from your TiVo wirelessly...you walk through the door with your powerbook and it's all there.

Plus who knows where this can go with iSync, bluetooth cellular, iChat etc etc.

Semper Mac!

POST #98 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Betimbe is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 07:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Betimbe Find more posts by Betimbe Add Betimbe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Betimbe

Mac, Safari, Tivo.

But Win2k at work.

Since I can't keep up with the technical BSD competition, I'll merely say that the Rendezvous solution looks like an excellent partnership between Apple and Tivo. Apple is staying alive against all odds by being innovative in the computer-as-lifestyle-appliance realm. Tivo (a great lifestyle appliance if ever there was one) was due for a major extension of its utility, because people are still standoffish about DVRs. I hope Tivo successfully positions itself as an all-purpose media server interface, though I wouldn't have minded a new Apple-designed product being the server itself.

The market has been starving for an effective way to bring digital music files into a component stereo system. As a sucker who bought a Compaq MC-1, I can say that this is a very welcome announcement, so my MC-1 can return to the purpose for which it was apparently designed --- boat anchor.

POST #99 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dajad is offline Old Post 01-09-2003 08:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dajad Find more posts by Dajad Add Dajad to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dajad
Advanced Member

Err ... I think the average guy may want to do some, err, maintenance, on his PC before hooking it up to the family TiVo and allowing it to search every corner of the PC for, ahh, content ... His significant other may be surprised to see exactly what all those jpgs and mpgs hidden in the corners of the PC are. My guess is that there are a whole lot more than just the family picnic variety pics on any typical PC!

POST #100 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged