TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Can someone please help me? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jstkiddn is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 07:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jstkiddn Find more posts by Jstkiddn Add Jstkiddn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jstkiddn

Can someone please help me?

Hi guys,

I'm hoping that someone will have pity on me and help me out a bit. I just bought my second Tivo and I'm soooo badly wanting to get a network set up to use the HMO features but no matter how much I read I can't quite seem to get my brain around what exactly it is that I need to do or even if I need to go wired or wireless. I was up reading until 4:00 this morning and I don't know any more now that when I started. ARRRGH!

Computer is in "office", tivo #1 in den and tivo #2 in master bedroom. Single level home, but it is quite a long way from the computer to the master bedroom (opposite ends of 3600 sq. ft. house). Computer is hooked up to cable internet connection which obviously I'd like the Tivo's to be able to share for updates. There is an ethernet port on the back of my computer where the cable modem plugs in....but nothing wireless. No wireless cards, etc. Just what came with the computer when I bought it.

Obviously wireless would be easiest to install, but I think I'm seeing that there is a speed issue. And I'm wondering if the distance is going to be an issue for me. Is wireless more expensive than wired? Is wired anything more than running some cable and hooking it up to a router? I know it will be a major pain, but my husband can fish the wires through the walls if need be. Heck, I don't even know where the router hooks up.

Are there any sites that have diagrams drawn out? I honestly don't even know enough to ask the right questions.

I'm about to give up because this is just way too confusing for me. I'm not a techie....just a soccer mom who wants to watch shows from one tivo on another tivo and listen to a few tunes back in my bedroom.

Can anyone PLEASE point me in the right direction?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

Wired would work best in your situation.

Wireless would work, but is more expensive and would require repeaters.

THe router goes in between the modem and the TiVos and the computer. Simpler than wireless, but there's still some setup.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dobbie1 is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 05:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dobbie1 Find more posts by dobbie1 Add dobbie1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dobbie1

Like Csyria mentioned you will need a router. A qualified electrician should be able to do the wiring. You will need wiring run from the computer room to each of the TiVo locations. The electrician should run the wire and install outlets in both the computer room and each of the Tivo locations. I would recommend using cat 5e wire. A 4 port LAN 10/100 router should cost you around $50. You will then plug the cable modem into the WAN port on the router, the PC, and TiVos will then plug into the router in the LAN ports. Then you will need to purchase a USB dongle (can run $10 - $30 each) for the back of each TiVo to plug into the wired network. The PC should already be setup to obtain an IP number automatically since it is using the cable modem, so no additional setup should be required there. When ready to setup the network, turn everything off, PC, cable modem and unplug TiVos. Plug the Router in and if it has an on/off switch turn it on. After the router goes through its startup routine, the lights that are on should be green. Now plug the cable modem into the WAN port (cable modem should still be off) and plug the PC and TiVo connections into the LAN ports. Turn on the cable modem, then the pc and TiVo's. Your PC should now be able to access the internet if everything is working. If the PC can access the internet, turn the TiVos on and go through the network setup. I hope this helps.

Regards

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dahacker is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 06:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dahacker Find more posts by dahacker Add dahacker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dahacker

I agree mostly with everyone's summary.

Check here for detailed education:

http://www.linksys.com/edu/

As far as running cable, you have a single level home, so running cable will be easy in the attic or basement. I would just do it yourself. Running network cable is the easiest. Just head down to Home Depot or equivalent and they have a whole section on home network installation. If you are not excited about drywall/plaster work, its not absolutely necessary to install network outlets in each room. Simple RJ-45 ends on the cable you run will do fine.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jstkiddn is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 08:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jstkiddn Find more posts by Jstkiddn Add Jstkiddn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jstkiddn

Thank you SO MUCH everyone! This is the first time it's actually been put into terms I can understand and spelled out exactly what it is we need to do.

My husband is a contractor/builder and they also do electrical work as well. So I know he can run the wire and install the outlets for me. If I'm undestanding this correctly it's going to be pretty much like having a phone outlet, but instead of a phone plug thingy it's going to be an ethernet plug thingy...right?

He just had some minor surgery this week so I'm going to have to let him get healed up a bit before we get started. But I'm putting this thread in my favorites so that if I have any questions when we actually do this I can come back and ask (if that's okay).

Sounds like it won't be that hard to do. Well, except for the part of listening to my hubby gripe about crawling around in the attic. ROFL!

Thanks again!! :-)

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dobbie1 is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 08:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dobbie1 Find more posts by dobbie1 Add dobbie1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dobbie1

Exactly like a phone outlet, only with the ethernet connection.

Good Luck.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

The TiVo Dude is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 08:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for The TiVo Dude Find more posts by The TiVo Dude Add The TiVo Dude to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The TiVo Dude

quote:
Originally posted by dahacker
As far as running cable, you have a single level home, so running cable will be easy in the attic or basement. I would just do it yourself. Running network cable is the easiest. Just head down to Home Depot or equivalent and they have a whole section on home network installation. If you are not excited about drywall/plaster work, its not absolutely necessary to install network outlets in each room. Simple RJ-45 ends on the cable you run will do fine.

I agree with this one. Wired outlets are nice, but you can run 2 ethernet cables from the router (in the office) into the closet - then poke a hole (just big enough to run the cables) into the attic - and run one to each of the closets in the den and master bedroom - then down on to the floor and around the room to where the Tivo is located.

If you don't want to/can't run the cable from the closet to the Tivo, and your husband is handy with a wire fish, he can fish it down into the wall behind the Tivo, poke a hole in the drywall and pull it through. Same goes for getting into the attic from the router in your den. Not as pretty as outlets, but totally functional.

Using an electrician is nice for a pretty installation, but not necessary for a functional one. As there is no electricity (i.e.: 120 volt) involved, there is no need for permits, special boxes, special wire, etc.

Measure your footage and buy pre-prepared ethernet cables that already have the plugs on them.

Check your Yellow Pages. There may be a wiring/network place in town that will sell the cables a *lot* cheper than CompUSA, etc.

Buy 2 Linksys USB200M usb->ethernet adapters from Best Buy or CompUSA ($30 each.) Plug ethernet cables into these and then plug them into the back of the Tivos. Be sure to get the 200M adapters - they are USB 2.0 and twice as fast as the USB100M which is USB 1.0.

Post questions here if you get stuck. We'll help.

Oh yeah, *definitely* go wired. The Multi Room Viewing works in real time (even at best quality - unlike a wireless setup) and is so cool. It's the best part (by far) of the home media features.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

UTmatt20 is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 08:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for UTmatt20 Visit UTmatt20's homepage! Find more posts by UTmatt20 Add UTmatt20 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UTmatt20
Cable Guy

Can you talk to my wife and explain the importance of our TiVo/network setup? She doesn't seem to get it like you do.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

The TiVo Dude is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 06:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for The TiVo Dude Find more posts by The TiVo Dude Add The TiVo Dude to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The TiVo Dude

quote:
Originally posted by UTmatt20
Can you talk to my wife and explain the importance of our TiVo/network setup? She doesn't seem to get it like you do.

While faster and even more invisible, the lack of a phone line is a non-plus for most.

Just have her go to Now Playing and select a show that is recorded on Tivo #2 (in another room) and explain that without the network, she would have to go to the room where Tivo #2 is located to watch that program/movie.

Not to mention recording on Tivo #2 while Tivo #1 is already busy recording something.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged