TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Upgrade Offer for Long-Time TiVo Subscribers email <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
booboy97 is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 09:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for booboy97 Find more posts by booboy97 Add booboy97 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
booboy97

Upgrade Offer for Long-Time TiVo Subscribers email

Got an email from Tivo today that offered an "upgrade"

It starts out by saying:

Multiply & Save is a limited-time offer designed especially for YOU!

Upgrade now to a new TiVo® Series2™ box for only $129* (or $99 for factory-renewed units!).
Whether you're currently a monthly or lifetime subscriber, you are eligible for a discounted monthly service fee of just $6.95 for additional boxes on the same account. The TiVo® service now includes four new features : Online Scheduling, Digital Photos, Digital Music, and Multi-Room Viewing

My parents' unit is a Series 1 unit with Lifetime. Is Tivo saying that I can transfer my lifetime by "Upgrading", or is this just some generic lingo that pertains to basically everybody?

I thought that Tivo doesn't transfer lifetime anymore.

Plain Jane DSR6000R
1 Philips 212 unit upgraded with 2 80GB drives for my parents
All DTivos running dual tuners using stacker/destacker setup with RG-59!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cabrill is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 09:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cabrill Find more posts by Cabrill Add Cabrill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cabrill
Just Hanging Out

I'm pretty certain that means whether your existing TiVo is prepaid via Lifetime, or if you're paying a monthly fee for it you can still get the discounted $6.95 rate for additional TiVo's. I guess to allay the fear that you already have to be paying monthly to get the reduced monthly rate for other TiVo's.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rasheed is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 09:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rasheed Find more posts by rasheed Add rasheed to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rasheed
Advanced Member

This is not really a special deal, but more just a special notification of the new policy. Actually, it seems to be cheaper to buy a refurb TiVo via fatwallet.com association with TiVo than this link.

Rasheed

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

booboy97 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 12:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for booboy97 Find more posts by booboy97 Add booboy97 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
booboy97

quote:
Originally posted by rasheed
This is not really a special deal, but more just a special notification of the new policy. Actually, it seems to be cheaper to buy a refurb TiVo via fatwallet.com association with TiVo than this link.

Rasheed

If you can't transfer the lifetime sub, then it's not a true upgrade...

Plain Jane DSR6000R
1 Philips 212 unit upgraded with 2 80GB drives for my parents
All DTivos running dual tuners using stacker/destacker setup with RG-59!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaronw is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 12:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronw Find more posts by aaronw Add aaronw to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronw

Yeah, I got this email as well. It's really not any kind of 'special deal' for anyone, just a notification of what the existing deals are.

I guess that's marketing for you.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 02:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Find more posts by Todd Add Todd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd
C Me in a C6

Does this mean that if you have an old TiVo with lifetime (maybe even one that no longer works...), as long as they have you down as owning it in their database that you can by a new one and only pay $6.95/mo. for it forever?

"Seriously, I think you are on the right track, but Todd is leading." - jsmeeker

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 05:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

quote:
Originally posted by Todd
Does this mean that if you have an old TiVo with lifetime (maybe even one that no longer works...), as long as they have you down as owning it in their database that you can by a new one and only pay $6.95/mo. for it forever?

Nothing lasts forever, but yes.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmoak is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 12:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmoak Find more posts by jmoak Add jmoak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmoak
-no title-

quote:
Originally posted by rasheed

Rasheed

HUH??

But it says right there in the subject line:
"Upgrade Offer for Long-Time TiVo Subscribers"

This sound like Tivo's rewarding their longest lasting, most loyal subscribers with an upgrade offer. You know, the guys who are still using the old series 1 boxes and can't take advantage of all the new "kewl" features, maybe even just the folks (even though it does sound dumb to the old lifetime subs) who have pay'd by the month for oh, so long.

It's nice to be appreciated every once in a while!!

Now, let's read this email and see what the special "Upgrade Offer for Long-Time TiVo Subscribers" is.... probably only $20 off... can't fuss though, every little bit helps......

Wait a minute.... This is the same offer that they give to everybody! Even the folks who just walk into a b&m, never hearing of Tivo before, muchless being a "Long-Time TiVo Subscriber".

Oh! That's different then....
Nevermind.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregpr is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 12:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gregpr Find more posts by gregpr Add gregpr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregpr
Tragically Unhip

quote:
Originally posted by Todd

My understanding in Vegas was that the old machine on lifetime had to be actively dialing in for the discount to apply.

Perhaps Stephen can clarify?

Join us in Las Vegas for TC-Con '05, June 13,2005!

*5130*

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LiveBlues is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LiveBlues Find more posts by LiveBlues Add LiveBlues to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

I'm not so sure that having a lifetime qualifies you for the discount, even though that implication was made. I was just billed for one of my monthlies at the old rate, even though they stated that it was supposed to happen as of the 9th of June.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoOpsMgr Visit TiVoOpsMgr's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoOpsMgr Add TiVoOpsMgr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

LiveBlues, please contact me. A Product Lifetime order definitely does qualify you for a discount on your second unit's monthly service. Are both of your units on the same account as listed by Manage My Account?

NOTE: I prefer e-mail to Private Messages. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoOpsMgr Visit TiVoOpsMgr's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoOpsMgr Add TiVoOpsMgr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

quote:
Originally posted by gregpr
My understanding in Vegas was that the old machine on lifetime had to be actively dialing in for the discount to apply.

Perhaps Stephen can clarify?

As we say in the terms and conditions, if the sales order date for the original Product Lifetime unit is more than four years old, AND the unit is not actively contacting TiVo's service, then it no longer can be a qualifier for the discount.

If the Product Lifetime unit's service is less than four years old, it doesn't matter if it's actively connecting to the TiVo service or not.

Best regards,
Stephen

NOTE: I prefer e-mail to Private Messages. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ADent is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ADent Find more posts by ADent Add ADent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ADent
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by jmoak
HUH??

Wait a minute.... This is the same offer that they give to everybody! Even the folks who just walk into a b&m, never hearing of Tivo before, muchless being a "Long-Time TiVo Subscriber".

Oh! That's different then....
Nevermind.

And for us lifetime subs it is NOT an upgrade, much less a Special Deal.

I mean you go to the airport and the TiVo Air gate agent says I can upgrade you to first class - and you have to pay the 'full' price on the first class seat w/o any refund of your previously paid coach ticket.

You go to TiVo Car rental car counter and "We can upgrade you to a luxury car", and they hand you the keys for Cadillac AND a Cavalier.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johnd7 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for johnd7 Find more posts by johnd7 Add johnd7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnd7

Quote from email " The TiVo® service now includes four new features : Online Scheduling, Digital Photos, Digital Music, and Multi-Room Viewing"

That sounds like HMO...is that now included for 6.95 per month? They sure make it sound that way.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johnd7 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for johnd7 Find more posts by johnd7 Add johnd7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnd7

Never mind...I just found out that HMO is free now!

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

geoman47 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for geoman47 Find more posts by geoman47 Add geoman47 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
geoman47

quote:
Originally posted by jmoak

Technically what you are saying is true. But think about who the target audience of the Multi-Service Discount is, and while new to TiVo users technically can participate, more likely the target audience is… well… long-time TiVo subscribers.

Only TiVo Inc. would know this for sure, but I would guess at least 90% of the people that have taken advantage of the Multi-Service discount to date would be people that had TiVo for at least 6 months. We could get into semantics about what qualifies about long-term, but one can understand that anyone reading an ad would rather be considered part of that ‘long-time’ crowd – hence TiVo's use of it.

Its not the discount on lifetime subs I had hoped for either, but its something!

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged