TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> HDVR2 with No Phone Line <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
noaml is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for noaml Find more posts by noaml Add noaml to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
noaml

HDVR2 with No Phone Line

I recently disconnected my phone line because I got rid of DSL. However, I forgot that all of my DirecTivos needed a phone line to synch up. Will my TiVo's be ok without a phone line or am I going to stop getting new recordings?

I've also just reformatted two of my TiVos and they won't go past the setup process without connecting over the phone line. Any suggestions here?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cactus46 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cactus46 Find more posts by cactus46 Add cactus46 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cactus46

Synch up to what? If you no longer have broadband available, you can take D*TiVo to a friend's telephone and complete the setup process and all of the guide data should come from the satellite.

Beyond this all you will have to deal with are nag screens and lack of PPV, IIRC.

John

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

noaml is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 11:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for noaml Find more posts by noaml Add noaml to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
noaml

I have broadband, but my DirecTivo doesn't have a broadband connection. Is there anyway I can configure the TiVo to use a broadband connection rather than a phone line?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rminsk is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 12:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rminsk Find more posts by rminsk Add rminsk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rminsk
TiVo Forum Special Member

You only need a phone line for the initial setup, to order PPV with the remote, certain sports packages, and to download software updates. The initial setup can be done at a friends house without the satellite. If you are running 3.1.1c then you have the latest software. Again the spftware update can be done at a friends house without the satellite. Akk guide data comes over the satellite.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aristoBrat is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 01:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aristoBrat Find more posts by aristoBrat Add aristoBrat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aristoBrat

quote:
Originally posted by noaml
I have broadband, but my DirecTivo doesn't have a broadband connection. Is there anyway I can configure the TiVo to use a broadband connection rather than a phone line?

The software that ships with DirecTiVos doesn't have the USB ports activated, so there's no way to make use of your broadband...

... unless you read the Underground forums on here.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

noaml is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:46 PM
noaml

Without a phone line am I in danger or losing my local channels?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cactus46 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 11:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cactus46 Find more posts by cactus46 Add cactus46 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cactus46

With broadband, a Windows XP computer, and a serial port on the computer one can do the routine TiVo calls via serial PPP. This works very well and is fast with broadband.

"If you no longer have broadband available..." Serial PPP was what I implied with that statement, not the USB ports.

You should have no problem with your local channels.

John

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rminsk is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rminsk Find more posts by rminsk Add rminsk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rminsk

quote:
Originally posted by noaml
Without a phone line am I in danger or losing my local channels?

No

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bjmc123 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bjmc123 Find more posts by bjmc123 Add bjmc123 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bjmc123

CAN

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bjmc123 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bjmc123 Find more posts by bjmc123 Add bjmc123 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bjmc123

ok i also have a hughes hdvr2 and have been browsing the net for the past week reading info reagrding my recent purchase of vonage. Here are my questions.....

-1-I have had my hdrv2 hooked up to phone line for the past 8 months so now that i do not have a phone line what will happen???

-2-I see this unit does have two usb ports on back, if i connect a wireless net adaptor to this to connect to my wireless lan what does it really do for me....

-3-If i have to either have a phone line attached or a network connected to my tivo via a wireless lan, where is the best place to get the how to specifics.....after reading all over the net is seems rather difficult...

many thanks ....

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cactus46 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:14 AM
cactus46

1-The TiVo will let you know in a couple of weeks that it wants to call home and then give you a daily nag screen after a month. Software updates will be unavailable but guide data comes from the satellite. PPV and other special services will no longer be available directly from the TiVo.

2-Without serious hacking the USB ports are currently non-working.

3-A direct connection to the Internet is not available for the series 2 D*TiVos. However, you can connect using a Windows XP computer and a serial port with serial PPP with your broadband connection. An external modem connected to Vonage works well with my HDVR2, also.

You can do a forum search for more details.

John

quote:
Originally posted by bjmc123
ok i also have a hughes hdvr2 and have been browsing the net for the past week reading info reagrding my recent purchase of vonage. Here are my questions.....

Last edited by cactus46 on 06-29-2004 at 04:20 AM

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bjmc123 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:48 AM
bjmc123

will the nfl ticket still work or no??

many thanks for the info......

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rminsk is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:22 AM
rminsk

NFL Sunday Ticket does need the phone line for local blackout information.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged