TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Update on Thumbs/TiVo Suggestions Issue <<<

Pages (6): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
islander is offline Old Post 05-02-2004 12:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for islander Find more posts by islander Add islander to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
islander

Will this fix go to Series I TiVos too? Mine is still tivoing religious shows and cartoons....

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lpamelaa is offline Old Post 05-04-2004 02:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lpamelaa Find more posts by lpamelaa Add lpamelaa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lpamelaa

I just found this thread and am so glad to hear I'm not alone. I thought my Tivo got lonely when I went on vacation for 2 weeks in Feb/March. Ever since I returned, the suggestions have been wacky! And they used to work so well so I knew it wasn't user error. I thought maybe my 2 week non-use of the machine caused something. Now I know it's a known issue.

I'd love to hear from Bill as to the latest status of this problem.

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bmgoodman is offline Old Post 05-04-2004 04:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bmgoodman Find more posts by bmgoodman Add bmgoodman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bmgoodman

Thumbs down Similar here

I'm having a similar problem as TivoMary. My suggestions on my Philips Series 1 Tivo has dropped from many, many pages down to about a dozen. I don't think that my Tivo has gotten that low on storage (~160 hrs at basic), even with a medium default recording setting.

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 05-04-2004 04:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

Re: Similar here

quote:
Originally posted by bmgoodman
I'm having a similar problem as TivoMary. My suggestions on my Philips Series 1 Tivo has dropped from many, many pages down to about a dozen. I don't think that my Tivo has gotten that low on storage (~160 hrs at basic), even with a medium default recording setting.

Have you tried restarting your DVR? That should rebuild the list.

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Video-Idiot is offline Old Post 05-04-2004 04:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Video-Idiot Find more posts by Video-Idiot Add Video-Idiot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Video-Idiot
My bad, sorry.

quote:
Originally posted by DaveLessnau
Found my three Thumbs Up rating on Farscape missing this morning.

That was me. Farscape is so bad I removed them for you.

If you read something here that offends you... stop reading.
Even the voice of reason needs to shut up now and then.
A date can be seen as a nonrecurring expense... a wife is overhead.

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ursine1 is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 05:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ursine1 Visit ursine1's homepage! Find more posts by ursine1 Add ursine1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ursine1
That one guy

I'm very close to just accepting that Suggestions are now utterly useless. And that's a real shame.

I've restarted my TiVo a couple of times, but I haven't reset my thumbs (since the advice here was not to). I may try that as a last ditch effort to restore what was once a great feature.

I first posted about the issue way back on March 18th, and since then it's only gotten worse. I seldom even scroll down and check them out anymore, since it just means I'll have to spend time thumbing down most of the programs and deleting them. Shows that have absolutely no relation to anything I've got a SP for or have ever recorded or thumbed up.

Hey TiVo: I don't speak Korean, or Chinese. I have *never* recorded a single religious program, or anything on the History channel, or the NBC nightly news, or anything on the Weather channel, or random videos on MTV. And, no, I don't have a strong desire to watch paid infomercials.

I remember Suggestions working, way back when. Things got a little bit wacky after the change to a collaborative method, but eventually they adjusted and settled in to a respectable average of, IMHO, about 90% viable suggestions and 10% odd stuff, but ones that was generally understandable as to why they were suggested. Since March, however, it's been just surreal.

I know this is probably asking too much, but here's an example of how I wish suggestions worked. I *love* "Airline". I have an SP that's near the top of my SP Manager, and set to record all episodes, new and reruns. I've rated it 3 thumbs up. So, last night I'm watching an episode from Now Playing and I see a promo for a new show, "Airline UK", with an episode that followed Airline. At a time when my TiVo wasn't recording anything. I certainly would have loved to have TiVo suggest "Airline UK", rather than Korean language programs. I mean, it has an almost identical name and description!

To me, that's how Suggestions should work.

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

georgemoe is offline Old Post 05-06-2004 01:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for georgemoe Find more posts by georgemoe Add georgemoe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
georgemoe
TiVo Army Grunt

Pretty much the same thing here MaryT. I have only two items in Suggestions when I used to have pages and pages.

I hope this is fixed soon.

quote:
Originally posted by MaryT
TivoBill -

My suggestion list now has 3 (!!!!) items on it only. This is down from about 12-15 pages worth earlier this week. Each day it got progressively shorter.

Yesterday, the only suggestions had dates of 4/30 & 5/1. Hence, today it's empty.

I don't believe your fix did anything. Initially, they seemed to come back to normal, genre wise, but they're still not generating.

The only time they generated was when I added a new program last weekend.

Is there a way to undo the changes that were made in early March? This is really getting to be more than a bit annoying.

Mary

Slave to Debbie's SA Philips HDR212 - Born 12/25/2001 - [20GB+160GB=194hrs] 2.5.1 lifetime

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 05-06-2004 01:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by georgemoe
Pretty much the same thing here MaryT. I have only two items in Suggestions when I used to have pages and pages.

I hope this is fixed soon.

I believe that the restart fixed Mary T's issue (at least temporarily). The issue of the Suggestions list dwindling is actually an existing issue that we are looking into and it doesn't appear to be related to the subject of this thread, which is more about unusual Suggestions.

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

georgemoe is offline Old Post 05-06-2004 07:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for georgemoe Find more posts by georgemoe Add georgemoe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
georgemoe
TiVo Army Grunt

Thanks TiVoBill. I think I'm ok now.

I checked Suggestions again last night and my list is now back and looks to be fully populated. This must have happened over the last 48 hours or so. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
I believe that the restart fixed Mary T's issue (at least temporarily). The issue of the Suggestions list dwindling is actually an existing issue that we are looking into and it doesn't appear to be related to the subject of this thread, which is more about unusual Suggestions.

Slave to Debbie's SA Philips HDR212 - Born 12/25/2001 - [20GB+160GB=194hrs] 2.5.1 lifetime

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pninen is offline Old Post 05-17-2004 02:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pninen Find more posts by pninen Add pninen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pninen

I don't think this problem has been solved for all users.

I've had several weeks of stupid suggestions (really off-the-wall) followed by now NO suggestions whatsoever.

Here's what I've done:
1. Did a TiVo restart
2. Did a "connect to TiVo" to get a new schedule
3. Did a "reset Thumbs"
4. found a FAQ item on the TiVo web site, and followed its instructions:
4a. turn suggestions off
4b. power cycle
4c. turn suggestions on
4d. power cycle
5. did a "connect to TiVo" to get a new schedule

None of these seemed to help.

What should I look for to tell me that this problem is fixed?

Are there other folks who still have this problem? If so please speak up so they don't think its just me.

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lpamelaa is offline Old Post 05-17-2004 09:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lpamelaa Find more posts by lpamelaa Add lpamelaa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lpamelaa

I totally still have this problem. Been checking in on this thread regularly to see if it's been fixed. Are we the only ones?

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MaryT is offline Old Post 05-17-2004 06:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MaryT Find more posts by MaryT Add MaryT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MaryT

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill

TivoBill - Unfortunately, my problem still exists. I PM'd you on Friday when we were down to 5 pages. Yesterday we hit 2. My husband accidentally his thumbs down instead of play, so, naturually, the list rebuilt itself last night. Still, it's not a "normal" list. Most of the single and double manually thumbed programs are not appearing.

We were about to run out again. We hadn't recorded anything new since last weekend. It looks like it takes about a week for the lest to completely empty itself.

BTW - new symptom..... I had a manually 2 thumbed program at the top of the suggestion list with a date of 5/22. It disappeared after the call on Saturday.

Whatever was done in early March really messed up the suggestion engine.

I haven't restarted in about 2 weeks.

Mary

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chippy is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 01:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chippy Find more posts by Chippy Add Chippy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chippy
Danceaholic

quote:
Originally posted by lpamelaa
I totally still have this problem. Been checking in on this thread regularly to see if it's been fixed. Are we the only ones?
No. I still have this problem, too.

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Azlen is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 03:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Azlen Find more posts by Azlen Add Azlen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Azlen

I still have the suggestions problem as well. I'm still trying to figure out why Tivo thought I would want to watch a mattress infomercial.

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ladd Morse is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 03:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladd Morse Find more posts by Ladd Morse Add Ladd Morse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladd Morse

I checked the suggestion on my Philips Series 1 this morning and the multiple pages of suggestion were all gone (again). Only thing there was the now-familiar message saying that if I start rating shows, TiVo will start showing me suggestions.

I had multiple pages of suggestions a few days ago. This is probably the fifth time they have all been completely wiped out.

313 hours Basic quality

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lajohn27 is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 03:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lajohn27 Find more posts by lajohn27 Add lajohn27 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lajohn27
TiVo Freek

quote:
Originally posted by Azlen
I still have the suggestions problem as well. I'm still trying to figure out why Tivo thought I would want to watch a mattress infomercial.

My first guess is that you've been staying up past 3am watching TV too much and TIVO thinks you probably need a better mattress to help with the insomnia.

Seriously.. this problem just doesn't seem to want to go away.

J

TIVO S2 140060 100 HR
TIVO S2 140060 60 HR

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pninen is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 11:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pninen Find more posts by pninen Add pninen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pninen

No answers from TiVo.

No answers here.

No response to msg I wrote on their customer service web page.

Everyone with this problem should call TiVo. Got to get thru to them.

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bobjohnson is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 02:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bobjohnson Visit bobjohnson's homepage! Find more posts by bobjohnson Add bobjohnson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobjohnson
Using a corked bat.

God's work my friends, yall at the mothership do God's work.

My favorite suggestion quirk was when I thumbs upped a bunch of game shows, and Teevs started constantly recording game shows on the spanish channels... Aye Carumba!

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lajohn27 is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lajohn27 Find more posts by lajohn27 Add lajohn27 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lajohn27
TiVo Freek

quote:
Originally posted by pninen
No answers from TiVo.

No answers here.

No response to msg I wrote on their customer service web page.

Everyone with this problem should call TiVo. Got to get thru to them.

Traditionally this means that TIVO is working on it. I'm sure TIVOBill or someone will chime in here or there with a response soon.. but the fact is - this is a confusing turn of events that happened after an update to the Genre/Show categories earlier this year.

The mere act of reproducing the problem in a test lab can take a while to achieve. Further, as we've already seen, fixing it once you've reproduced it can take even longer.

The minor update/fix which was supposed to fix this problem cleaned up the Thumbs database and made sure that all shows had the correct thumbs assigned and if not, fixed thumbs on all shows. The engineers thought this was the source of the problem and would solve this behavior.

Clearly it has not.

My own suspicion about what's going to be required is going to involve a major fix to the Genres/Categories associations they issued earlier this year. That my was my thought originally... and I stand by it now. [Hey TIVO, if you need me in your testing lab I'm available and work cheap! ]

If that kind fix indeed proves to be what's required, it is no doubt a significant amount of testing and re-testing prior to that fix rolling out to everyone.. So some patience is going to be required.

J

TIVO S2 140060 100 HR
TIVO S2 140060 60 HR

Last edited by lajohn27 on 05-18-2004 at 10:02 PM

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

islander is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 11:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for islander Find more posts by islander Add islander to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
islander

quote:
Originally posted by lajohn27
The mere act of reproducing the problem in a test lab can take a while to achieve. Further, as we've already seen, fixing it once you've reproduced it can take even longer.

I'll be more than happy to send my Series 1 in to use, (in exchange for a 140 hour series 2, of course... but I'm doing it out of the goodness of my heart! )

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged