TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Update on Thumbs/TiVo Suggestions Issue <<<

Pages (6): « First ... « Prev 3 4 5 [6]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
morac is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 02:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

My suggestions are working somewhat. I couldn't figure out why my TiVo keeps recording the Jackie Chan cartoon as a suggestion until I saw that Adam Baldwin is listed as an actor and he was a semi-regular on Angel which I had thumbed up.

The thing I don't get is why the TiVo is recording the Spanish version of Jackie Chan off of a spanish channel instead of the English one. I'd give it a thumbs down, but I'm not sure how that would affect things since the show is associated with categories which I like (action adventure and comedy). In the mean-time I went to the spanish channel and gave 3 thumbs down to all shows I found that contained only the category "Spanish" and one that contained both "Spanish" and "Religion" (two birds with one stone ).

I wish I either knew more about how suggestions worked or that I could thumbs down specific categories.

I'm also wondering why my Suggestion list recently went from having about 6 or 7 pages of suggestion to having 11 total items.

POST #101 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Morlac is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 03:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Morlac Find more posts by Morlac Add Morlac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Morlac

The previous poster and I have similar usernames but we're no relation...

I have two different tivos. One is a Phillips that I've had for over three years without ever resetting the thumbs/suggestion database; the other is a new Pioneer 810 that I've had for only about three or four months.

I'm only having particular trouble with the suggestions on the older unit -- as soon as I got the pioneer and moved the philips to a different room (with no cable box and a slightly different channel lineup) the suggestions went nuts. Even though lots of shows still show the thumbs up or down that they've accumulated over the years, they no longer seem to actually register for the purposes of making and recording suggestions. Since then my suggestions have been changing, but almost always to shows with no thumbs up or down.

I'm hesitant to zero out the thumbs database and start fresh because I don't relish the idea of manually thumbing things for hours to try to get somewhat caught up to where I had them. I have restarted the machine a few times, turned suggestions on and off, none of which worked.

Does this seem like it might be related to what others have been complaining about, or a different problem related to my change in channel lineup?

POST #102 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lajohn27 is offline Old Post 06-05-2004 08:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lajohn27 Find more posts by lajohn27 Add lajohn27 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lajohn27
TiVo Freek

This is the exact problem that others have had.. and most continue to have.

The time frame of about 3 months ago is bang on..

TIVO's issued at least one fix.. and possibly two (I noted an update to the Genres that moved in the last couple of weeks that may have been an attempt to fix this. Genres or Show categories like CRIME, DRAMA, ACTION are what drives the suggestion engine)

J

TIVO S2 140060 100 HR
TIVO S2 140060 60 HR

POST #103 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivocat99 is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 02:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivocat99 Find more posts by tivocat99 Add tivocat99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivocat99

I've been following this thread but not posting... fairly new to TiVo and just trying to figure out "Suggestions", but seem to be having the same problem... pages & pages one day, one page with 2 or 3 items the next, and none of them matching anything I've rated. TiVo suggesting and/or recording random crap that I've thumbs down-ed.

Why I'm posting today is with a question I haven't run across yet...

Sometimes when my TiVo has multiple pages of Suggestions and I'm paging through, looking at individual item descriptions to see if it's something I want to make sure & record, and long before I'm at the bottom of the list, sometimes the multiple pages of Suggestions will just disappear right in the middle of me viewing them and will go back to one page of just a few Suggestions. Why is it doing this, and why at this point in the process? If the danged thing is going to suggest all that stuff, I at least want to see what it's suggesting and it doesn't give me a chance!

POST #104 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sashusha is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 05:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sashusha Find more posts by sashusha Add sashusha to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sashusha

You can just remove the spanish channel from the "channels I receive" list. I did this promptly after my first spanish-language suggestion about 4 years ago

Sasha

quote:
Originally posted by morac
My suggestions are working somewhat. I couldn't figure out why my TiVo keeps recording the Jackie Chan cartoon as a suggestion until I saw that Adam Baldwin is listed as an actor and he was a semi-regular on Angel which I had thumbed up.

The thing I don't get is why the TiVo is recording the Spanish version of Jackie Chan off of a spanish channel instead of the English one. I'd give it a thumbs down, but I'm not sure how that would affect things since the show is associated with categories which I like (action adventure and comedy). In the mean-time I went to the spanish channel and gave 3 thumbs down to all shows I found that contained only the category "Spanish" and one that contained both "Spanish" and "Religion" (two birds with one stone ).

I wish I either knew more about how suggestions worked or that I could thumbs down specific categories.

I'm also wondering why my Suggestion list recently went from having about 6 or 7 pages of suggestion to having 11 total items.

POST #105 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pninen is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 01:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pninen Find more posts by pninen Add pninen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pninen

Dear sashusta,
Sure, you can eliminate a whole channel that you never watch and thereby eliminate some stupid suggestions, but you're just fixing the symptom. We want TiVo to fix the underlying software bugs which cause some TiVos to suggest random things for months at a time. There's been a lot of denial, but enough people have reported various related symptoms that there's no denying the problem at this point.

POST #106 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MaryT is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 07:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MaryT Find more posts by MaryT Add MaryT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MaryT

I just posted a new thread to highlight the disappearing/shrinking suggestion list problem. If you're having the problem and posted here, you may want to post there also.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...978#post2027978

Mary

POST #107 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sashusha is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 11:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sashusha Find more posts by sashusha Add sashusha to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sashusha

I agree with you on the larger issue. I was just trying to help by providing a specific solution for a specific issue.

Sasha

quote:
Originally posted by pninen
Dear sashusta,
Sure, you can eliminate a whole channel that you never watch and thereby eliminate some stupid suggestions, but you're just fixing the symptom. We want TiVo to fix the underlying software bugs which cause some TiVos to suggest random things for months at a time. There's been a lot of denial, but enough people have reported various related symptoms that there's no denying the problem at this point.

POST #108 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveLessnau is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveLessnau Find more posts by DaveLessnau Add DaveLessnau to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

My Suggestions are still fine. But, once again, I found my two Thumbs Up rating on The Simpsons missing tonight.

TiVo TCD240080 w/ Belkin F5D5050 USB Ethernet Adapter and 160GB 7200RPM Samsung SP1604N drive (150hrs 53mins @ Basic) with 4.0.1 Philips HDR112 w/ TurboNET and 120GB 5400 RPM Maxtor drive (145hrs 6mins @ Basic) with 3.0. Both hooked through powerlines to the internet via LinkSys PLEBR10 PowerLine EtherFast 10/100 Bridges, a D-Link DSS-5+ Switch, a SonicWall SOHO3 Internet Security Appliance, and finally a Toshiba PCX1100U Cable Modem (PCX DOCSIS)

POST #109 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged