TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> HMO is now set to be free, second Tivos in a house $6.95/month... <<<

Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rogo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 11:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogo Find more posts by rogo Add rogo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogo
Advanced Member

HMO is now set to be free, second Tivos in a house $6.95/month...

.... no changes to lifetime service, still $299.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dexter1 is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 12:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dexter1 Find more posts by Dexter1 Add Dexter1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dexter1

When does it start?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 02:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogo Find more posts by rogo Add rogo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogo
Advanced Member

The news coverage doesn't say. I'd imagine pretty soon, though.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigdave2004 is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 02:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigdave2004 Visit bigdave2004's homepage! Find more posts by bigdave2004 Add bigdave2004 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigdave2004

I just wonder if the "free trial" I have now just won't end...

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 03:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-5229146.html

It's about time HMO was included. I guess they had to get whatever revenue they could from those willing to pay for it, but HMO was overpriced at $100-$150 dollars given that Replay is giving it away and I imagine HMO sales started drying up after the early adopters got theirs.

Last edited by DrStrange on 06-09-2004 at 03:21 PM

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ThreeSoFar is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 03:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeSoFar Find more posts by ThreeSoFar Add ThreeSoFar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ThreeSoFar
FourNowActually

And "reliable sources" have told me that those that have paid for HMO already will not be forgotten/left in the lurch.

Four TiVos now, all with single Samsung drives:
Humax DRT800 w/DVD-R (174hrs)
Two older Series 2's (142hrs and 157hrs),and a newer nightlight
Series 2, a stupid case design IMO (174hrs)
All but the last are lifetimed. TiVite since 2000. There is a Good IR solution.

Got Vonage 4/9/03--need a referral credit?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

VinceA is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 04:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for VinceA Find more posts by VinceA Add VinceA to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VinceA
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by ThreeSoFar
And "reliable sources" have told me that those that have paid for HMO already will not be forgotten/left in the lurch.

Nice to know.... not necessary but nice

I'm just happy to know that our second TiVo will only be $6.95/mo now. I wonder if we get lifetime for our first will the second still only be $6.95/mo...

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cheerdude is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 05:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cheerdude Find more posts by cheerdude Add cheerdude to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cheerdude
Marathon Trainee

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/09/t...&partner=GOOGLE

Here's a link to a NYT article from today (previously mentioned in another thread)

Please visit my Personal Page to learn more and to donate online. 100% of your donation is Tax Deductible.
If you wish to donate via check, please either PM or email me for information.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

terminus303 is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 06:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for terminus303 Find more posts by terminus303 Add terminus303 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
terminus303
Advanced Member

quote:

What does that mean besides getting to keep what you already paid for?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 06:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:

that would be very good - I would hate to think I paid 99$ right away just in January, did not get my 50$ rebate and then find the 99$ fee waived for new boxes.

TiVo please. please do not forget us recent buyers - I am very ready to buy a second TiVO (when DVD recorder model can share shows with my SA) and a good faith gesture will just make that a solid bet.

PS - awesome news - would be nice to see a posting from TiVoPony

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 06:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for W Auggie H Visit W Auggie H's homepage! Find more posts by W Auggie H Add W Auggie H to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

I am just waking up to this news. I would be curious to know if any detailed information was giving out in Vegas yesterday. I think that is when TiVo user conference was supposed to be held. I think Pony was on hand for the event.

Like many TiVo users on this forum, I have also said that HMO should be part of main subscription service and not an additional cost. It is nice to see TiVo is finally moving in that direction. When HMO came out there wasn't much else on the market like it so the extra cost was a bit more justified. Now that the market it moving in favor of this type of technology and service then it make sense that HMO is now part of TiVo. Competition can be a good thing.

Same goes for the lower price for multiple units. It always surprised me that TiVo offered no discount for more than one unit. There was no incentive to buy more than one unit and then to have to buy HMO on top of that to make having 2 or more units worth your while.

All this is in preparation for this new service to download content from the Internet to TiVo. This is the holy grail if you ask me. TiVo has taught me that I really only watch a small percentage of channels that are available to me. If I only watch say 10 channels on a consistent basis why should I pay for 250+ channels with content I don't watch. I have always liked the Video-on-demand concept. I want to pay for what I watch.

This is an interesting time for TiVo, you have my support.

Humax DRT800 DVD-R/TiVo(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
TiVo Series2(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
Philips 30PW850H 30" Widescreen HDTV

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Webchump is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 06:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Webchump Find more posts by Webchump Add Webchump to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Webchump
All In

quote:
Originally posted by terminus303
What does that mean besides getting to keep what you already paid for?

Could it mean that those that paid for HMO will get a discount for Tivo To Go or possibly even free?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 06:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
TiVo please. please do not forget us recent buyers - I am very ready to buy a second TiVO (when DVD recorder model can share shows with my SA) and a good faith gesture will just make that a solid bet.

Here it comes - people who bought at the full price wanting a bone thrown to them apparently believing every price drop should be made retroactive to date "X" where "X' is "the day I bought it". Oddly nobody makes the same request when prices go up.

Prices change. You paid what it cost at the time you bought it. Tomorrow it may cost something else. Life's like that. Deal.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 06:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for W Auggie H Visit W Auggie H's homepage! Find more posts by W Auggie H Add W Auggie H to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange
Here it comes - people who bought at the full price wanting a bone thrown to them apparently believing every price drop should be made retroactive to date "X" where "X' is "the day I bought it". Oddly nobody makes the same request when prices go up.

Prices change. You paid what it cost at the time you bought it. Tomorrow it may cost something else. Life's like that. Deal.

I do agree with you, but... price drop is one thing and free is another. This is more of a dramatic shift in policy, not just a $20 price drop.

TiVo is making some large sweeping changes and it needs it's loyal fan/user base to stay with them. Without word-of-mouth TiVo would be in real trouble.

Humax DRT800 DVD-R/TiVo(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
TiVo Series2(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
Philips 30PW850H 30" Widescreen HDTV

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

terminus303 is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 06:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for terminus303 Find more posts by terminus303 Add terminus303 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
terminus303
Advanced Member

quote:

At this point most electronics buffs understand the early adopter model that became famous in the VCR era - early adopter pay a premium and support further development that allows the the price to drop over time. People can choose whether to buy early with the knowledge that they could wait and pay less.

The HMO situation is a bnit different in that early adopters had no indication that the price would drop and it didn't decline over time - it dropped suddenly from expensive to free... so , yeah I expect this will make some early adopters unhappy.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 06:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

Maybe this is TiVo's response to all the coverage Windows Media PCs, Freevo and their kin are getting.

In any case I'm guessing that the sales for HMO were slowing down (indicating everyone who wanted it already bought it) so since TiVo already had the money from people who wanted it, why not make it free to the rest.

I personally bought HMO when it first came out. A few months later they sell it for $49 with rebate and now its free. That's an amazing mark down rate. Doesn't help me though.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 06:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

quote:

Weren't you etenerally sworn to secrecy? Or was it just temporarily?

Next you'll be telling them about the the unit that they showed us that automatically deletes all commercials, records on a chip instead of a hd, travels through time, does your laundry, and creates an alternate universe where four fives beats four sevens.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by VinceA
I'm just happy to know that our second TiVo will only be $6.95/mo now. I wonder if we get lifetime for our first will the second still only be $6.95/mo...

According to TiVo's MSD FAQ if you have at least one TiVo with a lifetime subscription on your account, other TiVo's will get the $6.95 a month rate. The new rates take affect next billing cycle.

It also appears the price change for HMO is immediate as well since the option to purchase HMO has disappeared from the website.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:08 PM
DrStrange
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by terminus303
The HMO situation is a bnit different in that early adopters had no indication that the price would drop and it didn't decline over time - it dropped suddenly from expensive to free... so , yeah I expect this will make some early adopters unhappy.

Depends on what you consider "indications". In an increasingly competitive market where a competitor is giving a way a similar service for free, one can't expect to get away with charging the very high premium that Tivo was for very long. They offered discounts once or twice, and I think a free trial once or twice. To me those were indications that the product wasn't selling itself the way a $100 set of services should and they'd have to drop the price, and probably match Replays $0 price.

Besides, in the electronics business everything gets cheaper eventually, and the premium-commanding software features offered only by market leaders today are standard options on tomorrows knockoffs. IMO there were plenty of indications that this was inevitable.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:

I am not asking for the price difference on my TiVo hardware, I am talking about the fact that they have palyed around with pricing on HMO and now realize it needs to be included and should have from the start. I called it a good faith gesture on TiVo's part and that is what it is , I paid my money - they provided what they said they would so they do not owe me money back and I never said they owed it to me. Good Faith gesture.

if you do not like these posts you can just DEAL with that as well.

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged