TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> HMO is now set to be free, second Tivos in a house $6.95/month... <<<

Pages (12): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
W Auggie H is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for W Auggie H Visit W Auggie H's homepage! Find more posts by W Auggie H Add W Auggie H to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

I believe this all of these new announcements are all related to the new Download Content From the Internet feature. To make it work and to be competitive with Cable and Sat TiVo has to do a few things.

1. A TiVo for every TV in the house. - When you buy cable you get it to every TV. If you are going to buy content off the Internet with TiVo you need to be able to watch it on any TV you want. Lowering the price of TiVo, lowering the price of subscriptions all help with this.

2. A way to connect those boxes together so downloaded content can be shared. If you have 3 TiVos and you buy a movie it should download to one box but be available to all TVs/TiVos. HMO does that.

So TiVo's new baseline is to make having multiple TiVos more affordable and provide the technology to connect them all together at no additional cost. That is what gets you ready for downloading content from the Internet. I like it.

Humax DRT800 DVD-R/TiVo(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
TiVo Series2(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
Philips 30PW850H 30" Widescreen HDTV

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dirtypacman is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dirtypacman Visit dirtypacman's homepage! Find more posts by dirtypacman Add dirtypacman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtypacman
Best in Class

This is great news since I was going to be purchasing an additional unit and go through with the HMO process.

So at this point if you have two series 2 tivos each with lifetime you will be able to do the HMO without any additional charges. Or you can have a monthly membership for the 2nd tivo at rate of $6.95 per month. THAT IS WONDERFUL!

Thanks TIVO!

1) TIVO Series 2 225 Hour (Upgraded) w/monthly service
2) PIONEER #810H-S (Un-modified)
3) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour (Un-modified)
(#2/3) with Lifetime + networked

HD Comcast /Digital Comcast

Network through Verizon DSL
w/Belkin Router and (2) LinkSys USB200M ethernet adapter

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
if you do not like these posts you can just DEAL with that as well.

I am, by posting my opinion about them, the same way you're dealing with the HMO policy change by posting your opinion. Isn't the internet great?

The problem is you won't be the only one who does this. Everytime Tivo raises or drops a service fee hoards of people start feeling wronged because of the price they willingly paid, or waited too long to pay, or whatever, and want Tivo to make retroactive amends. [Edit: And here they come.]

FYI I paid full price for HMO on two machines last year. I didn't complain when they offered the discounts, and I'm not demanding money back now that it's free. I didn't think it was worth another 50 to add it to my 810 and I figured it would become free or cheaper eventually, so rather than pay for it then bitch when it became free, I simply didn't get it at that price. Now that it's free (as I was expecting it would eventually be) I will.

Last edited by DrStrange on 06-09-2004 at 07:41 PM

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skaeight is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for skaeight Find more posts by skaeight Add skaeight to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skaeight

Wow, I almost just bought HMO because I got really hooked on the online scheduling thing. I was actually really close the last time they offered it for $59. This is awsome!

I wonder if the software update the other day had anything to do with this. One of the tivo people here said it had a few new UI dialogs...haha, yeah that's it

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by W Auggie H
I believe this all of these new announcements are all related to the new Download Content From the Internet feature. To make it work and to be competitive with Cable and Sat TiVo has to do a few things.

1. A TiVo for every TV in the house. - When you buy cable you get it to every TV. If you are going to buy content off the Internet with TiVo you need to be able to watch it on any TV you want. Lowering the price of TiVo, lowering the price of subscriptions all help with this.

2. A way to connect those boxes together so downloaded content can be shared. If you have 3 TiVos and you buy a movie it should download to one box but be available to all TVs/TiVos. HMO does that.

So TiVo's new baseline is to make having multiple TiVos more affordable and provide the technology to connect them all together at no additional cost. That is what gets you ready for downloading content from the Internet. I like it.

you hit the nail on the head here. I think the downloaded Content will not be allowed to leave the TiVo via tiVoToGo and all the copyright holders will like that. HMO and multiple TiVos will allow it to be viewed in multiple places. I bet working out the logistics of how Downloaded content and TiVoToGo do or do not interact is what has kept TTG off the marketing radar screen.

PS - don't forget RF modulators , etc.. as a way to have one TiVo show up on every TV in the house

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

Last edited by ZeoTiVo on 06-09-2004 at 08:06 PM

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for W Auggie H Visit W Auggie H's homepage! Find more posts by W Auggie H Add W Auggie H to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

From TiVo.com: "Multi-Service Discount you must have at least one TiVoŽ box paying at standard monthly fee of $12.95, $99 per year or paid in full with product lifetime and calling into the TiVo service"

Is the $99 per year a new thing too?

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:30 PM
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

quote:
you hit the nail on the head here. I think the downloaded Content will not be allowed to leave the TiVo via tiVoToGo and all the copyright holders will like that. HMO and multiple TiVos will allow it to be viewd in multiple places. I bet working out the logisitics of how Downloaded content adn TiVoToGo do or do not interact is what has kept TTG off the marketing radar screen.

PS - don't forget RF modulators , etc.. as a way to have one TiVo show up on every TV in the house

I also wonder how the Strangeberry? acquisition fits into this. I can't remember exactly but they were working a distribution system too. It may be that TiVo will be able to HMO without a network. Maybe through coax? I don't know.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rickertk is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rickertk Find more posts by rickertk Add rickertk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rickertk
Not quite new Member

quote:
From TiVo.com: "Multi-Service Discount you must have at least one TiVoŽ box paying at standard monthly fee of $12.95, $99 per year or paid in full with product lifetime and calling into the TiVo service"

Is the $99 per year a new thing too?

No, annual pricing is an old thing. By Jan 2002, when I got my first Tivo, it was no longer offered (but was through some of 2001). However, units already on annual subscriptions maintained them, and it seems they still do.

Keith

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange
I am, by posting my opinion about them, the same way you're dealing with the HMO policy change by posting your opinion. Isn't the internet great?

yes the Internet is a great thing and I support your right to post things that annoy me (fair is fair)

but you continue to imply - since you are replying directly to my post that I am bitching and demanding my money back. I am doing neither - just using the forum to let TiVo know it would be a good faith gesture to consider those who paid for HMO in some way and the gesture would result in increased subscription revenue. I am propsoing a WIN-WIN to TiVo by offering a discount for my HMO expense on some other purchase not a simple I want my money back.

edit - PS if you want to go get the I want my money back whiners - they started their own thread (Thank God) have at em
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=179210

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

Last edited by ZeoTiVo on 06-09-2004 at 08:00 PM

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:41 PM
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
I also wonder how the Strangeberry? acquisition fits into this. I can't remember exactly but they were working a distribution system too. It may be that TiVo will be able to HMO without a network. Maybe through coax? I don't know.

the Strangeberry technology centered around streaming video on the Internet/network and automatically finding devices that are supposed to get the stream. I think it was more a critical back end piece for TiVo to have to make the delivery of the Internet content commercially feasible.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwoody222 Find more posts by cwoody222 Add cwoody222 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwoody222
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-5229146.html

It's about time HMO was included. I guess they had to get whatever revenue they could from those willing to pay for it, but HMO was overpriced at $100-$150 dollars given that Replay is giving it away and I imagine HMO sales started drying up after the early adopters got theirs.

Replay hardly gives away something comparable to HMO.

Replay does do multi-room streaming.
Replay does do photos on your TV.

Replay does not do music on your TV.

MyReplay.com is inferior to TiVo.com/tco in that it's unreliable and not immediate.

"whenever cwoody222 comes in and comments, it makes everything very clear" - drewman
"cwoody222 is so right-on it isn't funny" - esperantisto

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 07:57 PM
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

quote:
the Strangeberry technology centered around streaming video on the Internet/network and automatically finding devices that are supposed to get the stream. I think it was more a critical back end piece for TiVo to have to make the delivery of the Internet content commercially feasible.

This is kinda what I was thinking... It also sounded like you have be able stream to a second TiVo instead of copy. Today's HMO makes a copy of the show on the second box. Taking up disk space in two places. I have said that it would be nice to have a TiVo client that could just stream content from a TiVo(Master/Server with a huge hard drive)

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:04 PM
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
This is kinda what I was thinking... It also sounded like you have be able stream to a second TiVo instead of copy. Today's HMO makes a copy of the show on the second box. Taking up disk space in two places. I have said that it would be nice to have a TiVo client that could just stream content from a TiVo(Master/Server with a huge hard drive)

that hopefully is what they have the Strangeberry developers working on now that it seems they have the back end delivery piece about ready to unveil.

even better is that all TiVos work together on scheduling recordings and finding room for Internet content and any TiVo menu will show you what is available on ALL the TiVos

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:14 PM
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

quote:
even better is that all TiVos work together on scheduling recordings and finding room for Internet content and any TiVo menu will show you what is available on ALL the TiVos

Right on, that is what I just thinking. All my TiVos working together as a team.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by cwoody222
Replay hardly gives away something comparable to HMO.

Replay does do multi-room streaming.
Replay does do photos on your TV.

Replay does not do music on your TV.

MyReplay.com is inferior to TiVo.com/tco in that it's unreliable and not immediate.
All true points, which is why I don't say Replay is outright better. However now that Replays multi-room streaming performance is improved to the point where it can stream best-quality video, streaming over 100M ethernet, which lets you jump around and change shows freely is much better than copying over USB 1.1. Replay's options for manipulating other boxes on the network are better than Tivos. Those still work when MyReplayTV takes one of it's many little vacations.

Besides Replay has always been more focused on apparent advantages than actual ones. Make it look better in the flyers and hope that customers won't get hit by the holes until it's too late to get their money back. Being able to boast "FREE NETWORKING FEATURES THAT TIVO CHARGES $150 FOR!" on your web page and store displays helps sell boxes.

Both do different things better. IMO HMOs advantages were a hard sell at 99/49 bucks against a free alternative.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

coldtoes is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for coldtoes Find more posts by coldtoes Add coldtoes to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coldtoes
vermicious knid

quote:
Originally posted by Dexter1
When does it start?
Seems to be immediate. From TiVo.com: "Connect today to enjoy this great BONUS content from our partners" (emphasis added).

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:25 PM
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
All true points, which is why I don't say Replay is outright better. However now that Replays multi-room streaming performance is improved to the point where it can stream best-quality video, streaming over 100M ethernet, which lets you jump around and change shows freely is much better than copying over USB 1.1. Replay's options for manipulating other boxes on the network are better than Tivos. Those still work when MyReplayTV takes one of it's many little vacations.

I certainly hope/think that part of this whole new set of announcements is an updated driver for the units with USB 2.0 compatible hardware. (maybe they can give money to those with 1.1 hardware )
and as posted elsewhere - I think the Strangeberry developers are hard at work on making MRV/HMO a much better service than it is now.

we are in a new product area of an appliance that relies heavily on major software updates to stay competitive. Only other appliance in the house I have like that is a PC and that of course is a whole different category and not really an appliance.

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:34 PM
DrStrange
Advanced Member

I don't see that upgrading the USB drivers is necessary to support downloads from the internet. Residential broadband download speeds are still much slower than USB 1.1, are they not?

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

quote:
Originally posted by cwoody222

But tco is inferior to MyReplay.com as it doens't let you manage recordings or see the channels you subscribe to. The only thing tco does is search through a database of all programs on all channels. Then you have to pick the right one for your recorder and hope for the best.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 08:37 PM
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
I don't see that upgrading the USB drivers is necessary to support downloads from the internet. Residential broadband download speeds are still much slower than USB 1.1, are they not?

I am thinking more of the multi-Room viewing between TiVos

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged