TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> HMO is now set to be free, second Tivos in a house $6.95/month... <<<

Pages (12): « First ... « Prev 9 10 11 [12]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BoyScout is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 03:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BoyScout Find more posts by BoyScout Add BoyScout to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BoyScout

quote:
Originally posted by chipsndip
It's funny that no one with a second or third Tivo is demanding to be reimbursed the extra $6.50 they've paid a month for the last few months. Once again goes to show that complainers aren't logical. The company is reducing fees and lowering prices, and they get complaints. Incredible. This is GOOD NEWS people. If it doesn't help you out, pass it by. *Walks away grumbling about kids these days*

-ChipsNDip

No, that is because the monthly price reduction applies to everyone, not just new subscribers.

However, I HAVE seen complaints about the cost of a Lifetime subscription being much higher for recent subscribers of second units.

POST #221 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 05:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

quote:
Originally posted by TeddS
If someone pre-paid for a year of service, then 2 months later the cost of the service was lowered by half for those paying month-to-month, I'd expect them to complain about that too.

Recent purchasers of HMO have a right to gripe, IMO. I purchased it the day it came out, so I'll keep quiet and just continue to enjoy it. These price reductions prompted me to buy a second Tivo, but I sure hope they don't decide to start giving second Tivos away for free in a month or two.

--Tedd

Recent purchasers perhaps, and that's why they can take 20 minutes of their life to call Tivo to get a credit on their service.

-smak-

POST #222 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PooBear is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 12:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PooBear Find more posts by PooBear Add PooBear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PooBear

quote:
Recent purchasers perhaps, and that's why they can take 20 minutes of their life to call Tivo to get a credit on their service.

Exactly! I bought HMO back in March. Called Tivo to ask if they would make it right. The service rep said he had to check with his supervisor. He came back on the line and said they would credit me back $51. Thanks Tivo! Quit arguing about it and call.

POST #223 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Retiredibm is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 05:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Retiredibm Find more posts by Retiredibm Add Retiredibm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Retiredibm

Poo Bear writes

quote:
Exactly! I bought HMO back in March. Called TiVo to ask if they would make it right. The service rep said he had to check with his supervisor. He came back on the line and said they would credit me back $51. Thanks TiVo! Quit arguing about it and call.

I heartily agree!
Here is my story:
I wrote an E Mail to customer service that I had purchased HMO for both of our TiVos in April. A simple complaint that the press release in Jan 04 said to the effect "that HMO was a requirement for TiVo to Go". A sales rep called to today about my "complaint". The result he gave me a $67 credit on my monthly subscription. I didn't expect anything but a thank you for your feedback and we appreciate your business. Congratulation to TiVo management for listening and responding to their current customers.

I will tell all my relatives, friends, acquaintances this is an additional reason to buy TiVo, versus other options. eg Charter cable is offering a "TiVo" like PVR with TV guide for $9.95/mo. Hardware is included in that monthly fee.

POST #224 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RadiusMan is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 07:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RadiusMan Visit RadiusMan's homepage! Find more posts by RadiusMan Add RadiusMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RadiusMan

I'd rewrite my opinion on the subject in this post, but it's really long as I already typed it up on my blog... I guess i'll just tell those who still want to talk about this issue the link:

http://radiusman.no-ip.com/weblog/

POST #225 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lajohn27 is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lajohn27 Find more posts by lajohn27 Add lajohn27 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lajohn27
TiVo Freek

quote:
Originally posted by RadiusMan
I'd rewrite my opinion on the subject in this post, but it's really long as I already typed it up on my blog... I guess i'll just tell those who still want to talk about this issue the link:

(from your blog)
quote:

Worse yet, it appears that TiVo Inc will be charging for TiVoToGo even to those who previously purchased the HMO package despite the press release insisting that TiVoToGo would be apart of the HMO package.

Ok.. even a modest amount of reading on these boards would have told you that the TIVO2Go option will not be a premium feature. There may be a small charge for the software required to burn programs onto DVD. But there also may not be.

Incidentally, have you called TIVO and specifically asked if you could get a portion of your HMO purchase refunded? Your blog doesn't say that you tried. Lots of other folks have gotten some refunds.. if you're as upset as you say.. why not call?

J

TIVO S2 140060 100 HR
TIVO S2 140060 60 HR

POST #226 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RadiusMan is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 08:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RadiusMan Visit RadiusMan's homepage! Find more posts by RadiusMan Add RadiusMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RadiusMan

quote:
even a modest amount of reading on these boards would have told you that the TIVO2Go option will not be a premium feature.
I may have only posted 5 times on this board, but i assure you i've been a reader since I bought my TiVo last september. I wasn't arguing that TivoToGo would be a premium feature, but rather that it required HMO which at the time was a premium feature. Therefore if you have to buy a premium feature in order to get another feature then that last feature is a premium feature by default. While it is said here that TivoToGo will not be a premium service, nobody (probably not even Tivo yet) knows exactly how much TivoToGo is going to cost. The point that I'm trying to make is that when they announced the feature, given all of the data at the time, it looked as though you needed to pay for HMO in order to get the service -- and those who did buy HMO in anticipation for TivoToGo, like me, became victims of that shady marketing. Then on top of that, we are going to have to pay more money (be it for Software or the USB key) in order to use the TivoToGo service.

To answer your question: No, i have not yet called to see if I can get some of my money refunded. I'm hesitant to do so because i dont want to have to argue with people in order to get my money back and because the last thing I want is to have my money refunded and then the TivoToGo service be given away free to previous HMO owners to which I then wouldn't be. But perhaps you are right -- maybe i should give them a call.

---------------------

POST #227 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Platt is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 09:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Platt Find more posts by David Platt Add David Platt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Platt
Circa 1974

quote:
[B]I may have only posted 5 times on this board, but i assure you i've been a reader since I bought my TiVo last september. I wasn't arguing that TivoToGo would be a premium feature, but rather that it required HMO which at the time was a premium feature. Therefore if you have to buy a premium feature in order to get another feature then that last feature is a premium feature by default. While it is said here that TivoToGo will not be a premium service, nobody (probably not even Tivo yet) knows exactly how much TivoToGo is going to cost.

I think you need to do some more reading. TivoToGo is going to be free, as TiVo has publicly announced here and at the recent TiVoCon in Vegas.

POST #228 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lajohn27 is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 10:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lajohn27 Find more posts by lajohn27 Add lajohn27 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lajohn27
TiVo Freek

quote:
The point that I'm trying to make is that when they announced the feature, given all of the data at the time, it looked as though you needed to pay for HMO in order to get the service -- and those who did buy HMO in anticipation for TivoToGo, like me, became victims of that shady marketing. Then on top of that, we are going to have to pay more money (be it for Software or the USB key) in order to use the TivoToGo service.

I believe you about the reading.. but I encourage do some more reading. It's already been posted on this board several times (and in this thread even) that there will be no dongle or USB key or any other device like that associated with TIVO2GO. It will be totally authorized through software encryption.

And further.. TIVO2GO basic functionality - move TIVO files to a portable PC for example will not be an extra charge. There MAY be a charge for specialized burning software if you wish to burn the files to a DVD.. on that part you are correct.

quote:
To answer your question: No, i have not yet called to see if I can get some of my money refunded. I'm hesitant to do so because i dont want to have to argue with people in order to get my money back and because the last thing I want is to have my money refunded and then the TivoToGo service be given away free to previous HMO owners to which I then wouldn't be.

But.. you're not going to be fully refunded.. only partially refunded.. and your files will still indicate that you have paid for HMO service for some period of time.

In my opinion .. it's a safe bet that this partial refund is all the cow-towing that TIVO is going to do over this issue .. and if I were you I'd jump on it.

TIVO S2 140060 100 HR
TIVO S2 140060 60 HR

POST #229 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ThreeSoFar is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 10:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeSoFar Find more posts by ThreeSoFar Add ThreeSoFar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ThreeSoFar
FourNowActually

The software will cost for TiVo2Go, though. No word on that yet.

Four TiVos now, all with single Samsung drives:
Humax DRT800 w/DVD-R (174hrs)
Two older Series 2's (142hrs and 157hrs),and a newer nightlight
Series 2, a stupid case design IMO (174hrs)
All but the last are lifetimed. TiVite since 2000. There is a Good IR solution.

Got Vonage 4/9/03--need a referral credit?

POST #230 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lajohn27 is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 10:10 AM
lajohn27
TiVo Freek

quote:
Originally posted by BoyScout
No, that is because the monthly price reduction applies to everyone, not just new subscribers.

However, I HAVE seen complaints about the cost of a Lifetime subscription being much higher for recent subscribers of second units.

So the price goes up (*for Lifetime) and those who bought early were deemed 'smart'.

Then the price goes away (*for HMO) and those who bought early don't feel so 'smart'.

Making purchasing decisions in life is a double edged sword. You know, I once bought a new truck from a dealer and four months later they were offering $3000 cashback & free air conditioning on the same model.

Now I don't mind telling you that I felt pretty stupid for buying three months earlier... and paying for air conditioning on top of that.

But then I'd enjoyed the air conditioned F-150 truck for those three summer months ... especially during my camping trip to Death Valley...

Life is full of tough choices ain't it?

J

TIVO S2 140060 100 HR
TIVO S2 140060 60 HR

POST #231 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RadiusMan is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 02:47 PM
RadiusMan

quote:
It's already been posted on this board several times (and in this thread even) that there will be no dongle or USB key or any other device like that associated with TIVO2GO. It will be totally authorized through software encryption.

I've read about that, and even though this information may be correct I have yet to see any kind of "official" notice from Tivo in these regards (if there is one please let me know). As of yet I don't know if I can trust information posted on a messageboard as official Tivo company policy.

I've been reading about people who have been getting their money back for HMO but the furthest back I saw for a successful (partial) refund was for march. I bought mine at the end of January. While this may seem like a long time ago and some may say "You don't deserve a refund beacuse you've had it for so long", I bought the damn service because i thought it was necessary for T2G like it says in the press release. Trust me when i say i've barely used the service otherwise. I will be contacting Tivo, like suggested, very soon.

David Platt, perhaps I missed this official announcement that T2G is going to be free. Could you post a link please?

POST #232 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

T-Veaux is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 03:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for T-Veaux Find more posts by T-Veaux Add T-Veaux to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T-Veaux
"Brilliant!"

quote:
David Platt, perhaps I missed this official announcement that T2G is going to be free. Could you post a link please?
"While the monthly subscription charge will still remain $12.95 a month, Keast said that another future enhancement -- the TiVoToGo ability to burn DVDs of TiVo content for saving or viewing elsewhere -- will be offered as part of the standard service."

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...788#post2016788

"Brilliant!" - TiVoPony | "Brilliant!" - phone1 | "T-Veaux's brilliant..." - TiVoOpsMgr

Can you see my ego swelling from there??

POST #233 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 11:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoOpsMgr Visit TiVoOpsMgr's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoOpsMgr Add TiVoOpsMgr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

RadiusMan, sorry that you're upset about the price reduction. Please do call our customer support folks (1-877-367-8486, 8am to 8pm Pacific seven days a week) to discuss your case.

T-Veaux's brilliant post (I just said that because I want to be quoted ) does quote my boss confirming that the TiVoToGo features will be included with the service. And as for the dongle being no longer required with "official" word, you have mine in a couple places, plus TiVoPony's here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...445#post2020445

Best regards,
Stephen

NOTE: I prefer e-mail to Private Messages. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

POST #234 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ekuhner is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 12:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ekuhner Find more posts by ekuhner Add ekuhner to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ekuhner

So will the T2GO support pulling my home movies in MP4 format off of my PC?

What about putting video you take off of the TiVo back onto the TiVo down the road?

POST #235 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 02:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoOpsMgr
RadiusMan, sorry that you're upset about the price reduction. Please do call our customer support folks (1-877-367-8486, 8am to 8pm Pacific seven days a week) to discuss your case.

T-Veaux's brilliant post (I just said that because I want to be quoted ) does quote my boss confirming that the TiVoToGo features will be included with the service. And as for the dongle being no longer required with "official" word, you have mine in a couple places, plus TiVoPony's here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...445#post2020445

Best regards,
Stephen

and actually it was the news and confirmation here by TiVoPony et-all that TiVoToGo would be a standard feature and not have dongles that had me decide to not call in for money back on HMO. Since I was prepared to pay for TiVoToGo and put up with multiple Dongles for a few PCs and now do not have to, I feel I will receive the value I was after in my TiVo purchases anyway, even with 99$ for HMO for four extra months. In fact I think it actually adds up to my percieved value in the purchases increasing over all.

My only regret left is that TiVo did not put out some communication to those who bought HMO acknowledging the situation at the time they made the HMO announcement.

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

POST #236 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 04:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

My understanding is that basic burning software, ie, burn this file on to this disc, would be free, but a premium version with editing, etc would cost.

Not 100% sure though.

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

Come visit us at TC Poker Community

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #237 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ThreeSoFar is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeSoFar Find more posts by ThreeSoFar Add ThreeSoFar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ThreeSoFar
FourNowActually

quote:
Originally posted by ekuhner
So will the T2GO support pulling my home movies in MP4 format off of my PC?

What about putting video you take off of the TiVo back onto the TiVo down the road?

TiVo2Go -- no.

But a future product is in the works, TiVoOpsMgr said. "TiVo to come back" is their non-official internal (and sort of lame) name for it so far.

Four TiVos now, all with single Samsung drives:
Humax DRT800 w/DVD-R (174hrs)
Two older Series 2's (142hrs and 157hrs),and a newer nightlight
Series 2, a stupid case design IMO (174hrs)
All but the last are lifetimed. TiVite since 2000. There is a Good IR solution.

Got Vonage 4/9/03--need a referral credit?

POST #238 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 07:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoOpsMgr Visit TiVoOpsMgr's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoOpsMgr Add TiVoOpsMgr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

That's the internal code name... You're gonna get me in trouble

NOTE: I prefer e-mail to Private Messages. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

POST #239 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 11:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoOpsMgr
That's the internal code name... You're gonna get me in trouble

You're busted dude!

You know, I made an off the cuff comment at the TC Con where I used that term. They probably all thought I was clever, but you had to shatter the illusion. tsk tsk tsk.

It's not really a code name...it's not obscure at all. It's just an obvious extension of the TiVoToGo name. Nature abhors a vacuum, and the thing needed to be called something in meetings.

I'm a bit thankful it doesn't have YACN. We have too many as it is!

Pony

Note that none of this means we're doing anything specific, that it's coming, or that we promised anything. Just that we've talked about the possibility internally (and in customer surveys). I mean, if all it took was a leak of an internal name then everyone would know TiVoToWalkTheDog is coming. doh!

POST #240 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged