TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> From RCA? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
shally is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 11:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for shally Find more posts by shally Add shally to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shally

From RCA?

I have an RCA DVR which appears to be orphaned by the manufacturer and the software is beta (various problems - maybe alpha) and I'm thinking about getting a Tivo, but the RCA has a few features which, in my opinion, are a drastic improvement on Tivo. I was wondering whether something like them would be incorporated in new Tivo models, or is this just wishful thinking?
1. My RCA has a DVD player in it, which eliminates several wires.
2. The RCA's Guide+ is free, although limited compared with Tivo. Are there plans to have Basic Tivo as an option?
3. The RCA's Guide+ data comes from the cable/antenna, so it doesn't require a telephone connection. In my case, I'd have to extend the telephone cord (from another room) and this is something I don't want to do.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maharg18 is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 08:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for maharg18 Find more posts by maharg18 Add maharg18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maharg18
TiVo Forum Special Member

Toshiba makes a Tivo + DVD player combo unit that comes with Tivo basic, which is much like Guide+. I believe you'll still need to string that phone cord, or you can use a wireless network adapter if you have a wireless network, or you can buy a wireless modem jack kit to extend the phoneline wirelessly.

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dirtypacman is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 08:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dirtypacman Visit dirtypacman's homepage! Find more posts by dirtypacman Add dirtypacman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtypacman
Best in Class

The Pioneer Como unit I have has all the same except is a DVD-writable aswell...makes archiving great.

Basic service is not even comparable to Plus-- I used the trial of Plus and never went back after that.

1) TIVO Series 2 225 Hour (Upgraded) w/monthly service
2) PIONEER #810H-S (Un-modified)
3) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour (Un-modified)
(#2/3) with Lifetime + networked

HD Comcast /Digital Comcast

Network through Verizon DSL
w/Belkin Router and (2) LinkSys USB200M ethernet adapter

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maharg18 is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 08:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for maharg18 Find more posts by maharg18 Add maharg18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maharg18
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by dirtypacman

Basic service is not even comparable to Plus-- I used the trial of Plus and
never went back after that.

I'm not sure if that was in response to my remark about Guide+, but I was referring to the Guide+ service that comes with the RCA unit, not Tivo plus service.. Just to clarify..

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

Yep. The Toshiba'll do that, but it needs a network or phone connection.

Also, it'll download 3 days of guide data for free and you can record individual shows or by timeslot. (TiVo Basic)

TiVo Plus is like above, but with lots more features for 13 bucks a month.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged