TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
>>> turn off tivo <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ebeighe is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ebeighe Find more posts by ebeighe Add ebeighe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ebeighe

turn off tivo

I want to turn off my Tivo when i'm not using it.
(apparently there is no way to do this?)

Seems like a reasonable thing to want to do.

Since it runs continuously, it get hot -- partially because i put it inside a cabinet. I put it in a cabinet because it makes noise all the time. because i can't turn it off.
(by the way, it "runs" very quietly. It's just that i expect things to not make ANY noise when I'm not using them).

Assuming there is no way to turn it off -- what is the approved method of safely powering down? it seems like sooner or later just pulling the plug is going to cause a problem since disk is being accessed almost constantly.

THANKS!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JPriller Find more posts by JPriller Add JPriller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPriller
just some guy

TiVos are designed to run all the time. That makes sense - if you turn them off, they can't record shows for you when you aren't there. You can put the unit in Standby, but it's still really running and can still record even then.

I've been a PC hardware guy for decades, and it's my experience that stuff is better left on all the time than turned on and off every day. It uses more energy, but the components last longer because they're stressed less (by both power on/off and temperature changes).

If noise is the problem then putting the TiVo in a case is okay, just make sure the ventilation is good so the TiVo doesn't overheat. TiVos do run a little warm, low 40's C by their internal temperature display is normal, anything higher than mid 40's is cause for concern.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kbmb is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kbmb Find more posts by kbmb Add kbmb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kbmb

I think what you want is called a VCR.
Are you having the TiVo record shows for you? From your post....I'm not sure that your TiVo would EVER have anything recorded. If the only time you want it on is when you use it.....then that must mean the only time it can record is when you are using it and it's on?

If you have it in a case....make sure you have decent ventilation. Check the temperature (TiVo -> Messages & Setup -> System Information). As JPriller said....if that number is in the high 40's C, then it probably needs more fresh air.

-Kevin

Last edited by kbmb on 06-29-2004 at 12:14 AM

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

willardcpa is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for willardcpa Find more posts by willardcpa Add willardcpa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

quote:
"(by the way, it "runs" very quietly. It's just that i expect things to not make ANY noise when I'm not using them)."
Hmmmm, my guess is you don't have any kids, and quite possibly not a spouse!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZikZak is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZikZak Visit ZikZak's homepage! Find more posts by ZikZak Add ZikZak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Re: turn off tivo

quote:
Originally posted by ebeighe
I want to turn off my Tivo when i'm not using it.

No you don't.

quote:

Seems like a reasonable thing to want to do.

No, it isn't

How can the TiVo record all the shows you ever watch if it's turned off?

BTW, pulling the plug is the approved method of powering off a TiVo, when, for instance, you're moving to another apartment. Unlike the evil Windows, this does nothing to corrupt TiVo's file system.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ebeighe is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ebeighe Find more posts by ebeighe Add ebeighe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ebeighe

quote:
Originally posted by JPriller
TiVos are designed to run all the time. That makes sense - if you turn them off, they can't record shows for you ...

I've been a PC hardware guy for decades, and it's my experience that stuff is better left on all the time than turned on and off every day....

If noise is the problem then putting the TiVo in a case is okay, just make sure the ventilation is good so the TiVo doesn't overheat. ...anything higher than mid 40's is cause for concern.

[sorry, this got long]

Thanks for all the ideas... but you all seem to have misconstrued what I mean by "turn off". Yes, I want it to behave the same way my VCR behaves (so don't tell me its too expensive or whatever). If it's got a job to do it turns itself on! And when its done, it turns itself "off" (which is really more like standby).

I just measured the power consumption of my Toshiba DVD combo unit, I was pleasantly surprised to find it's only ~ 20Watts. But my gripe, of course, is that it's mainly waste for me (say 1 hour recording, 1 hour watching per day is over 90% waste) I pay twice for heat here because I typically have to pay again to air condition it away. Others I'm sure have a much lower waste ration, but my point is Tivo shouldn't force it on me. My gripe about the power goes hand-in-hand with the noise.

To put it in perspective, according to the sticker on my new refrigerator, it uses 500 and some odd kW per year, 20W continously is 175kW. I find it unconscionable that Tivo would put design such a product leaving me no recourse except to "pull the plug" (and hope that I remember to plug it back in when something is scheduled to record)

My power complaint isn't just my one little puny Tivo, it's the (presumably) tens of millions of units that they would like to have. The Tivo is, i see now, a profligate waster of standby power: "According to studies for the Energy Department by the Berkeley National Laboratories, standby wastes the equivalent of the power generated by 26 average-size power plants in the USA alone"

WHAT I think Tivo SHOULD DO proposal -- Level 1:
(This would be free / minor software changes)...
(Optionally) allow the user to turn off constant recording on suspend, and allow the disk to spin down. This MAY be enough of a power savings so that the fan wouldn't need to run when suspended(?).

WHAT I think Tivo SHOULD DO proposal -- Level 2 (the right way):
do an actual power management scheme. this may require in addition to software changes hardware mods. The fan and disk would not spin in suspend, there would be no need for cooling since the power drawn would be only ~5W.

Finally, regarding the off/on stress on electronics -- I think that may be an "old engineers tale", being an old engineer myself :-), maybe I should just say urban legend :-)
Anecdotally, I've had e.g. solid state TV's that have lasted well over 10 years, power cycled many many many times. My computers cycle daily for years. My computer's hard disk suspends itself dozens of times DAILY and I may use a drive for a couple of years. In other words, whether or not the stress shortens lifespan of electronics, I don't think it does so *materially*.
The temperature of my Toshiba DVD/combo unit says up to 59C when inside a cabinet (sounds hot) but outside the cabinet it hangs around 50C (ambient air temp ~ 80F), but still above the 40's that was suggested.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bobinnv is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bobinnv Find more posts by bobinnv Add bobinnv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobinnv

Re: Re: turn off tivo

quote:
Originally posted by ZikZak
No you don't.

No, it isn't

How can the TiVo record all the shows you ever watch if it's turned off?

BTW, pulling the plug is the approved method of powering off a TiVo, when, for instance, you're moving to another apartment. Unlike the evil Windows, this does nothing to corrupt TiVo's file system.

I guess I don't understand why there are so many sarcastic replies to what seems like a reasonable request. Pre-TiVo, my TV room was absolutely quiet. Now its not. Its not a terrible noise, but still, what was once silence is now a soft hum. Trying to find a way around that seems reasonable to me.

As does some sort of standby mode where the disk and fan go to sleep until needed. I find I rarely record anything during the day, so an option to put the TiVo to sleep during the day would be most welcome. Like my computer - it goes to sleep when I am not using it. Saves energy, restores the silence.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JPriller Find more posts by JPriller Add JPriller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPriller
just some guy

quote:
Finally, regarding the off/on stress on electronics -- I think that may be an "old engineers tale", being an old engineer myself :-), maybe I should just say urban legend :-)
I admit I don't have any hard evidence, but anecdotally I can't count the number of times I've turned off some piece of equipment that'd been ticking over just fine for years, only to turn it back on later and find that something had broken.

I'm staying with my "don't turn things off" religion.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

simonalope is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for simonalope Find more posts by simonalope Add simonalope to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
simonalope

quote:

The temperature of my Toshiba DVD/combo unit says up to 59C when inside a cabinet (sounds hot) but outside the cabinet it hangs around 50C (ambient air temp ~ 80F), but still above the 40's that was suggested.

This has been mentioned in other threads - I think the normal operating temperature for the Toshiba combo unit is higher than that for standalone units. Mine, which sits alone on a wooden shelf with 4-8" clearance on all sides in an air-conditioned room, consistently runs at 48-51C, which it labels normal. Others have posted similar observations, so the ~50C outside of the cabinet sounds about right.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:43 AM
JPriller
just some guy

quote:
Originally posted by simonalope
This has been mentioned in other threads - I think the normal operating temperature for the Toshiba combo unit is higher than that for standalone units. Mine, which sits alone on a wooden shelf with 4-8" clearance on all sides in an air-conditioned room, consistently runs at 48-51C, which it labels normal. Others have posted similar observations, so the ~50C outside of the cabinet sounds about right.
The "okay" temps I quoted were for stand-alone TiVos (series 1 or 2) and are pretty close for "Series 2" DirecTiVos. Series 1 DirecTiVos ran somewhat hotter, 50C would be about right for those. I don't have any experience with what's really normal for the DVD combo units.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoGeezer is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoGeezer Visit TivoGeezer's homepage! Find more posts by TivoGeezer Add TivoGeezer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoGeezer
Happy Geezer Year!

Re: turn off tivo

quote:
Originally posted by bobinnv
I guess I don't understand why there are so many sarcastic replies to what seems like a reasonable request. Pre-TiVo, my TV room was absolutely quiet. Now its not. Its not a terrible noise, but still, what was once silence is now a soft hum. Trying to find a way around that seems reasonable to me.

As does some sort of standby mode where the disk and fan go to sleep until needed. I find I rarely record anything during the day, so an option to put the TiVo to sleep during the day would be most welcome. Like my computer - it goes to sleep when I am not using it. Saves energy, restores the silence.

Ah, I see where the confusion is in this thread. This is a suggestion to Tivo that they redesign the unit to go into a timed "sleep" state during periods on an hour or more when there is nothing scheduled to be recorded. Probably reasonable. However, it was posted in the wrong forum. There is another one for suggestions. This one is for help with an issue. If the issue is "how can I turn off or should I turn off my Tivo during periods of inactivity", then yes, you can but no, you probably should not because it will not be able to do other, non-scheduled things, like daily call and record suggestions, if you want it to. Tivo is currently an appliance best used if on all the time. If you would like to make a suggestion on how Tivo could be made better, please post in the correct forum.

One person's "quality TV" is another's "there's nothing on".

PM me your current email address for a Gmail invite.
Happy Tivo Owner since October, 2000
"I'm a sig-fodder whore." - scottjf8
"I'm a lazy asshat!" - montag
"For a small fee- I will be your own personal snipe" - scubagal
Don't be misled
Please don't ask about FSI or dual tuner SA TiVo!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bobinnv is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bobinnv Find more posts by bobinnv Add bobinnv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobinnv

quote:
Originally posted by JPriller
The "okay" temps I quoted were for stand-alone TiVos (series 1 or 2) and are pretty close for "Series 2" DirecTiVos. Series 1 DirecTiVos ran somewhat hotter, 50C would be about right for those. I don't have any experience with what's really normal for the DVD combo units.

Out of curiosity I checked my Toshiba SD-H400 - it says 58C (Normal).

Seems kind of warm for "normal".

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ebeighe is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:55 PM
ebeighe

Re: Re: turn off tivo

quote:
Originally posted by TivoGeezer
Ah, I see where the confusion is in this thread. This is a suggestion to Tivo that they redesign the unit to go into a timed "sleep" state during periods on an hour or more when there is nothing scheduled to be recorded. Probably reasonable. However, it was posted in the wrong forum.

yes, i see that now. When i began, though, i was actually thinking that there MUST be some way to hush the thing (short of pulling the plug), and i just couldn't find it... so I asked here.
I will re-post something in the suggestions after i've lived with it for awhile.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rkkeller is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rkkeller Find more posts by Rkkeller Add Rkkeller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rkkeller

I have a DirecTivo and it has a standby
button on the front. It will still record
all your shows in standby it just doesnt
record live TV.

FWIW, I press the standby button every
time I shut the TV off.

Rich

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged