TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> Tivo -> Powerbook -> dvd-rw? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
redtide34 is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 09:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for redtide34 Find more posts by redtide34 Add redtide34 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redtide34

Tivo -> Powerbook -> dvd-rw?

Looking to get a Tivo, wondering if I can run the video into my powerbook, capture it and burn it onto DVD for archiving? Anything I should know?

Thanks

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 09:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

What comes out of the TiVo is just the same as a camera or VCR.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

redtide34 is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 09:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for redtide34 Find more posts by redtide34 Add redtide34 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redtide34

Id like to transfer it via usb...only newer models have usb ports right?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 09:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

Copying video through the USB ports currently falls under the 'no video extraction talk allowed' clause for this site. I don't think there's a Mac version of the extractor client, so the legality of discussing it is probably moot.

TiVo-To-Go is current vapour, but will offer legitmate video extraction capabilities. Again, Mac owners may not be invited to the party.

Modifying the now-obsolete Series 1 TiVoes is much easier than the current Series 2 units, which include counter-measures.

There's nothing to stop you plugging the composite output into a capture card, though.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 02:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by Robert S
TiVo-To-Go is current vapour, but will offer legitmate video extraction capabilities. Again, Mac owners may not be invited to the party.

They showed a demo version of TiVoToGo running on a Mac at CES, so Mac owners shouldn't have much to worry about.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drewman is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 07:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drewman Visit drewman's homepage! Find more posts by drewman Add drewman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drewman
Ascetic capitalist

It would be great if TiVo and Apple get together on this:

Press the 'TiVo' button in iMovie (it knows TiVo is there through Rendezvous).

A list of your shows comes up just like iPhoto or iTunes integration into iMovie.

You choose the show and it copies it to your hard drive.

Using iMovie's tools you cut out any non-show elements.

Press iDVD button to transfer show to iDVD for rendering and DVD burning.

iDVD setups up a default menu that looks like a TiVo menu and you select burn.
(Of course you can customize, but this is the default)

X minutes later, out pops your done DVD.

Or, you drag your edited show onto the TiVo button and it copies it back to TiVo for playback. You can do this with your own home movies too

Andrew

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

krails is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 02:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for krails Find more posts by krails Add krails to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krails

That would be extremely cool!

I'm about to start archiving stuff off of my DirecTivo this weekend, using a Canopus ADVC-100 analog to DV bridge. That'll let me use Save to VCR to capture the shows in iMovie and then build a Tivo-ish interface in iDVD. Haven't found anyone else who's doing this yet, so if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

I'll post my experiences next week. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work flawlessly. =)

Kevin

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drewman is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 06:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drewman Visit drewman's homepage! Find more posts by drewman Add drewman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drewman
Ascetic capitalist

I tried to do this with my Series 1 to a camcorder that could take analog inputs and output DV.

My problem was that the camcorder didn't like white scenes and darkened the whole picture during them. Some AGC problem. Anyway, I couldn't stand that and so stopped doing it that way...

Good luck!

Andrew

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 07:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by krails
That would be extremely cool!

I'm about to start archiving stuff off of my DirecTivo this weekend, using a Canopus ADVC-100 analog to DV bridge. That'll let me use Save to VCR to capture the shows in iMovie and then build a Tivo-ish interface in iDVD. Haven't found anyone else who's doing this yet, so if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

I'll post my experiences next week. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work flawlessly. =)

I use a similar setup* right now and it works just fine.

Dan

* I use Pinnacle Studio and a Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gtadell is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 05:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gtadell Find more posts by gtadell Add gtadell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gtadell

any idea on a release date for Tivo to go.??

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 05:31 AM
Dan203
Cyn-er

Fall 2004 is the only release date we have.

Dan

All with Lifetime

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Doh is offline Old Post 02-26-2004 12:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Doh Find more posts by Doh Add Doh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doh
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
Fall 2004 is the only release date we have.

Dan

does that mean halloween?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged