TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> Best way to connect TiVo and DVR for DVD-R recording <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
johnj is offline Old Post 04-04-2004 08:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johnj Find more posts by johnj Add johnj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnj

Question Best way to connect TiVo and DVR for DVD-R recording

I am considering buying a DVR with DVD-R recording capability (e.g. Pan DMR series) and was wondering how folks have been connecting them when they have a SA TiVo as well. The most obvious way is to use the VCR model and connect DVR from TiVO out.

My only concern about this is the degraded signal from multiple A/D - D/A conversions through every box!

Any other ideas to get a digital cable box, SA TiVo, and DVR connected to get the best video quality captured during DVD-R recording?

Thanks in advance!

J.

Last edited by johnj on 04-04-2004 at 10:57 PM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 04-04-2004 11:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence
TiVo Forum Special Member

That's the way to do it. Just use the best connection available, usually s-video, and record using the best quality. Of course, your best quality will be recording from the DVR combo side.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattack is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 10:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattack Find more posts by mattack Add mattack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattack
Advanced Member

Actually read the DVD recorder section on avsforum.com. Apparently people who have tried it (and who are video quality fanatics) say that using the composite connections ends up with a better picture, at least on the Panasonics. BTW, the E85 is coming out sometime soon. I think the better quality is due to a time base corrector which only affects the composite in..

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 12:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

Why would you get a HD dvd burner? You already have a DVR.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 07:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence
TiVo Forum Special Member

You get a DVD recorder or burner so you can save those shows you like. You're DVR will eventually get filled. Also, we are talking about an SD DVD recorder not HD.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged