TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
>>> TiVo's Suggestions / Thumbs Stuff <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
LindaEB is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 12:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LindaEB Find more posts by LindaEB Add LindaEB to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LindaEB

TiVo's Suggestions / Thumbs Stuff

I've had my Philips Series 1 since winter '99. I replaced the aging hard drive a few months ago with a much larger one. (Why? Because we CAN!) I knew I'd have to go through the whole "learning process" with the Thumbs et al, and have patiently been thumbing up/down everything I see.

With so much more room, I know it's normal for Tivo to want to fill it, and I'm liable to end up with some odd things for a while. I did get a tad paranoid when it started recording religious programming for a while, even though I've never thumbed up anything with religion keywords. (I'm the only one in the house who uses TiVo - hubby is convinced it's evil.) Then I started to see a pattern, that it seemed to go through phases ... one day, Suggestions would be full of talk shows, then another day full of war shows, and yet another nothing but game shows.

I thought I'd seen it all when I checked my Now Playing list and saw that it had recorded "Paid Programming". No subject, no keywords, no nothing - and it wasn't on a channel or time that TiVo does its download stuff, it was a local channel on a weekend late morning. Since the show had absolutely NO data other than the title, channel and time, how on earth did it get picked? (Yesterday it also recorded 30 minutes on QVC for some unknown reason, sigh.)

Second part - I have several programs that I've tripled-thumbed up, that it simply won't record on its own. (Mad TV, Mama's Family, some PBS sewing shows.) There are no conflicting SP's with any of them time-wise. I know that I could set up SP's for them if I wanted them that badly, but now it's a matter of knowing WHY, anyone have any info? TIA

-Linda

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 12:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence
TiVo Forum Special Member

It could be that there was a show that was a suggestion and it got changed to paid programming.

Using thumbs doesn't ensure that the show you thumbed up will be recorded, just that the genre of that show will be used to select futire suggestions. If you really want a particular show then use a Wishlist to catch it on all channels or an SP for a particular channel.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ronsch is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 06:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ronsch Find more posts by ronsch Add ronsch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronsch
Advanced Member

Suggestions have also been a bit wacky lately. TiVo is working on a fix so don't go overboard with thumbs right now.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

waynehuffaker is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 11:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for waynehuffaker Find more posts by waynehuffaker Add waynehuffaker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
waynehuffaker

Perhaps someone can educate me here as well, I was under the impression that the thumbs up/down feature helped the tivo learn your profile, but also would default to record those shows if nothing else was scheduled, I have seen many times when I tune in to find it recording something with no relevance that I can see, while a new episode of something I have given 3 thumbs up to is not being recorded. Now I know I can force it to record something by getting a seasons pass or selecting it individually, but shouldn't my tivo, opt to record something on the suggestion list that has 3 thumbs up over something random? Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

-wayne

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZikZak is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZikZak Visit ZikZak's homepage! Find more posts by ZikZak Add ZikZak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

quote:
Originally posted by waynehuffaker
Perhaps someone can educate me here as well, I was under the impression that the thumbs up/down feature helped the tivo learn your profile, but also would default to record those shows if nothing else was scheduled, I have seen many times when I tune in to find it recording something with no relevance that I can see, while a new episode of something I have given 3 thumbs up to is not being recorded. Now I know I can force it to record something by getting a seasons pass or selecting it individually, but shouldn't my tivo, opt to record something on the suggestion list that has 3 thumbs up over something random? Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

You're misunderstanding. "Thumbs Up" does not mean "record this if nothing else is available." It means "I like this show. Please suggest it and things like it occasionally."

"Three Thumbs Up" means "This show has an electrode attached directly to the pleasure centers of my brain. Please suggest it and things like it occasionally."

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

waynehuffaker is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for waynehuffaker Find more posts by waynehuffaker Add waynehuffaker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
waynehuffaker

Ok, well, that helps clear things up a bit, zikzak. So maybe you can answer me this: Will my tivo record programming with thumbs up, as a tivo suggestion, or does it assume I have either added that program as a seasons pass, or an individual recording, and then ONLY record programming LIKE the thummbed programs?

-wayne

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZikZak is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZikZak Visit ZikZak's homepage! Find more posts by ZikZak Add ZikZak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

No, it will indeed suggest thumbs-upped programs. Sometimes it even suggests reruns of shows you have SPs for. To see a list of programs TiVo is thinking of suggesting for you, press TiVo-8. You can even thumb up/down programs directly from that screen.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

waynehuffaker is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:44 PM
waynehuffaker

Great!! Thanks alot for the help.

-wayne

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lurker1 is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 12:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lurker1 Find more posts by Lurker1 Add Lurker1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lurker1

The thumbs buttons serve the same purpose as the Close Door button in an elevator.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged