TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Do you use the s-video cable that comes with your tivo? <<<

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ogden2k is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 12:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ogden2k Visit ogden2k's homepage! Find more posts by ogden2k Add ogden2k to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ogden2k

Do you use the s-video cable that comes with your tivo?

How is the quality of it? I was thinking about buying a Monster S-video cable for $20.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoGeezer is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 12:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoGeezer Visit TivoGeezer's homepage! Find more posts by TivoGeezer Add TivoGeezer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoGeezer
Happy Geezer Year!

I have not bought one lately to be able to tell the quality but I would say, if it does not have a gold connector, go buy one. Otherwise, try it out and see if it meets your expectations.

One person's "quality TV" is another's "there's nothing on".

PM me your current email address for a Gmail invite.
Happy Tivo Owner since October, 2000
"I'm a sig-fodder whore." - scottjf8
"I'm a lazy asshat!" - montag
"For a small fee- I will be your own personal snipe" - scubagal
Don't be misled
Please don't ask about FSI or dual tuner SA TiVo!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Platt is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Platt Find more posts by David Platt Add David Platt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Platt
Circa 1974

The S-Video cables that come with the TiVo are fairly high quality. Don't waste your money on Monster cables. While they're decent cables, they're insanely overpriced.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by David Platt
While they're decent cables, they're insanely overpriced.

I'd say they're crap that is insanely overpriced. But then my experience with them is limited to investing a bunch of money in one of their products(Monster Coax) and then discovering the ghosting problem I was having was caused by their product being inferior. They were worse than generic brand cables, which cured the problem I was having.

After that experience, I've not wasted any more money to discover if their other products were more than marketing BS.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chris Gerhard is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Gerhard Find more posts by Chris Gerhard Add Chris Gerhard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Gerhard

The s-video cable that came with my DTiVo is very good quality and has worked great for years. Monster Cable s-video cables are good but as mentioned overpriced, and probably not any better than the TiVo supplied cable.

Chris

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ogden2k is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ogden2k Visit ogden2k's homepage! Find more posts by ogden2k Add ogden2k to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ogden2k

I'll try the one that comes with it. Later on i'll probably pick up the monster cable. All my other speaker cables, video, etc are monster.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

simonalope is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for simonalope Find more posts by simonalope Add simonalope to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
simonalope

The S-video cable packaged with my SD-H400 is just fine on my setup. It all depends on the rest of your A/V equipment - if everything else is super high-quality and the only limiting factor is the TiVo-TV hookup, a super high-end cable may make a visible difference. In my case, the limiting factor is the mediocre cable signal, and fancy cables between the TiVo and the TV can't help that.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edrock200 is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for edrock200 Find more posts by edrock200 Add edrock200 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edrock200

I am also in the same opinion of others that the s-video cable included is good, and that monster is overpriced. That doesn't mean that a good quality, well shielded cable won't get you better results, because it will, I just wouldn't buy monster cables. There are some other lower-key manufacturers of high quality cables that are a better value.

Speaking of monster I went into a CC and bought a dvd player and the guy tried to sell me the monster optical cable over the generic. I said "Why?"

Sales guy: "Well sir you get reduced electro-magnetic interference that way, your sound is cleaner."

me: "But it carries light, not magnetic waves, and even if it did it's digital, it either gets the proper amount if info or it doesn't, not "dirtier sound"."

Sales guy: "It can still be effected by EMI."

me: "No thanks."

LOL

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bierboy is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bierboy Find more posts by Bierboy Add Bierboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bierboy
TiVo or death

Does an S-Video cable come with the SA TiVo? I didn't find one in my package. Had all the other cables, though.

Hitachi 51UWX20B - Samsung SIR-T151
40 Hour TiVo SA Series 2 - HMO w/D-Link DWL-122
CM 4221 - CM 9521A - Onkyo TX-SR601S - Denon DVM-1815
Polk RT 55 Mains - Polk CS 245i Center - Polk RT 25 Surrounds - Etymotic ER-6 Isolator Earphones
Harmony SST-659 -- Panamax MAX 4300

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

richierich is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 02:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for richierich Find more posts by richierich Add richierich to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richierich

Why do people automatically think because a product is high priced then it got to be great? Monster has a great marketing department. I have done an A/B comparison using Monster and Acoustic Research cables especially component, svideo and audio and have not found one iota of a difference. I had 12 people in the room and switched my Denon back and forth from VCR-1 to VCR-2 which had the same identical feeds with the exact same station on being delivered to my plasma with Monster component cable and AR component cable and no one in the room could tell any difference whatsoever. There were alot of people angry after that because they had bought Monster Cables and felt they were ripped off. Try the A/B comparison. You can get the AR cables and the Monster at Best Buy. If the Monster wins you have 30 days to take back the AR cables and vice versa. Don't be a food and get ripped off if you cant tell a difference.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 02:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

For those who worked with older Macintosh computers in pre-USB days, they used something named "Apple Desktop Bus" to handle the keyboard, mouse, joystick, etc.

It turns out that the connector on an ADB cable is the same as the S-Video connector. I've successfully used some older ADB keyboard cables in place of a S-Video cable (plus the coil, like a telephone handset cord, is kind of neat). It's likely that a true S-Video cable will have a better class of wire inside of it, but those ADB cables do work.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 03:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by richierich
Why do people automatically think because a product is high priced then it got to be great?

I was going to make a Hugh Grant joke, but I guess the prostitute he saw that cost him his relationship with Elizabeth Hurley wasn't "high priced."

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

willardcpa is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 03:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for willardcpa Find more posts by willardcpa Add willardcpa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

quote:
"Sales guy: "Well sir you get reduced electro-magnetic interference that way, your sound is cleaner."

me: "But it carries light, not magnetic waves, and even if it did it's digital, it either gets the proper amount if info or it doesn't, not "dirtier sound"."
Yeah, but what if some of the light leaks out.
quote:
"I had 12 people in the room and switched my Denon back and forth from VCR-1 to VCR-2 which had the same identical feeds with the exact same station on being delivered to my plasma with Monster component cable and AR component cable and no one in the room could tell any difference whatsoever. "
Yeah, but now 12 people won't want to buy a plasma set because they keep flickering like they are changing inputs all the time.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

richierich is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 04:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for richierich Find more posts by richierich Add richierich to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richierich

Yes they will because when I switched the input to DVI they saw an awesome picture and my Fujitsu in my opinion is one of the best plasmas around and I'm extremely happy with it.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ogden2k is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 05:50 AM
ogden2k

quote:
Originally posted by richierich
Why do people automatically think because a product is high priced then it got to be great? Monster has a great marketing department. I have done an A/B comparison using Monster and Acoustic Research cables especially component, svideo and audio and have not found one iota of a difference. I had 12 people in the room and switched my Denon back and forth from VCR-1 to VCR-2 which had the same identical feeds with the exact same station on being delivered to my plasma with Monster component cable and AR component cable and no one in the room could tell any difference whatsoever. There were alot of people angry after that because they had bought Monster Cables and felt they were ripped off. Try the A/B comparison. You can get the AR cables and the Monster at Best Buy. If the Monster wins you have 30 days to take back the AR cables and vice versa. Don't be a food and get ripped off if you cant tell a difference.

Right... I have compared generic cables with monster cables and I do see a difference so don't make ignorant statements.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tomo_kun is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 06:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tomo_kun Find more posts by tomo_kun Add tomo_kun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomo_kun
BemaniStyle 6.0

quote:
Originally posted by David Platt
The S-Video cables that come with the TiVo are fairly high quality. Don't waste your money on Monster cables. While they're decent cables, they're insanely overpriced.
Yes, i mean, they are gold plated.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randyf is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 06:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for randyf Find more posts by randyf Add randyf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randyf
*Null*

I use the standard S-Video cable, but I MUST have the oxygen free power cable

Seriously, Friends don't let friends buy Monster Cable!!! ! !! !

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Platt is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 08:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Platt Find more posts by David Platt Add David Platt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Platt
Circa 1974

quote:
Originally posted by ogden2k
Right... I have compared generic cables with monster cables and I do see a difference so don't make ignorant statements.

Well, I'm certainly not going to make any other comments in this thread if that's the way you're going to treat people that are answering the question you asked. Richierich was just relating his experiences with monster cables compared to other brands to try to help you, and you call that an "ingorant statement"? Whatever.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rjknyy is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 08:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rjknyy Find more posts by rjknyy Add rjknyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rjknyy

I have switched out all of my cables with AR, except for my DVD which uses Monster component cables. I'm happy with all of them but for the money you can't beat AR.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 07:13 PM
GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by ogden2k

How much better were the generics?

People notice differences taking sugar pills, etc. You thought you saw a difference would be a more accurate statement. Unless you did a double blind test your testing would be meaningless.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged