TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> (Lotsa) Upgrading SA1 - Choices, Choices -> Opinions? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gof is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 10:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gof Find more posts by gof Add gof to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gof

Upgrading SA1 - Choices, Choices -> Opinions?

Ok, I've finally decided to get around to upgrading (again) my old Philips HDR112 from it's current 60GB drive. Since I've got todlers, I don't get to use the box much anymore because the 60GB drive is always full of things like Dora and Blues Clues

Well, I picked up a new WD 160GB drive ($23 after tax and rebate) so that is an easy choice. Since I was going to pop open the box, I also figured it would be the perfect time to also drop in some networking so the Cachecard seems the logical choice. That would enable me to load some fun utilities and also perhaps schedule some programs to watch for myself. I've been lurking on the >137GB thread, as well as several others trying to decide just what to load, and I thought it would be an ideal question to pose to the group.

So, a few questions....

1) With the 160GB drive, should I bother with LBA48, or not. I'll get a few more hours (~25 or so at basic), but have to deal with what appears to be a semi-stable patch. The space would be nice, and it seems unlikely (or is that a certainty) that the SA1 will never get an update beyond the current version of 3.01 (from memory). Too bad the now "free" HMO will never be back ported for those with network cards.

2) Assuming I go for the LBA48, which CD image download is "best" for booting off the CD and doing a full copy of the 60GB to the 160GB with subsequent expansion. I need to keep all those older recordings if I value my daddy-hood.

3) Is there any advantage to the electriclegs RAM upgrade if I get the cache card with at least 256MB of PC100 on it?

4) Ok, so I've got the drive and cache card in. I'm going to load Telnet, FTP, and at least TiVoWeb. What additional utilities (and/or TiVoWeb modules) do people consider "must-haves"? I realize a few are probably not allowed to be discussed, but of those that ARE, which would you recommend?

5) Any place to get a discount on the cache card or is 9th tee the only place to get it?

6) With all the extra space, has anyone used the mode "0" hack to improve upon best quality? Opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Jerry

Last edited by gof on 06-25-2004 at 01:56 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PeteEMT is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 05:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PeteEMT Visit PeteEMT's homepage! Find more posts by PeteEMT Add PeteEMT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PeteEMT
$user{'title'}

When you install the Cachecard, it installs telnetd and ftpd too, so you don't have to do them seperately. The hardest part about the CacheCard was the physical install, getting the card to seat on that edge connector was hard

I believe 9th Tee is an exclusive supplier of CacheCard.

Can't comment on the patch as I did a 120gb drive.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ladd Morse is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladd Morse Find more posts by Ladd Morse Add Ladd Morse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladd Morse

I wouldn't consider the "LB48" kernal swap unstable. I've been running it for four months with no problems on my Philips Series 1 with a single 250GB drive.

Some people are concerned as to what will happen if TiVo sends a software update down the line. I could certainly see how this might be an issue, but I figure the odds of a software update for Series 1 machines are pretty low.

Additionally, I'm guessing that TiVo will test such an upgrade within an inch of it's life and more than a few community members here will know about the upgrade (and its effects) before it is pushed out to "regular" folks.

It is my understanding that the LB48 kernal swap can be re-enabled in any case, so my decision was to go for it. Of course, with my 250GB drive, the risk/reward ratio is a bit different than with your 160GB drive, so you may come to a different conclusion. :-)

313 hours Basic quality

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gof is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 03:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gof Find more posts by gof Add gof to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gof

Thanks for the input. I'm kind of assuming that the odds of getting a new SA1 software update from the current (I've got 3.0-01-1-000) are about the same as my winning the mega lottery

So, does anyone have opinions on the other questions?

• Best LBA48 BootCD & Tools
  • Best add-on utility tools
  • Best modules for TiVoWeb

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged