TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> DirecTV support of DVR's is so laughable, but it's just not funny. <<<

Pages (11): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SteakMan is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteakMan Find more posts by SteakMan Add SteakMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteakMan
TiVo Forum Special Member

Chat with DirecTV E-Mail Support

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 02:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlankMan Find more posts by BlankMan Add BlankMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlankMan

quote:
Originally posted by SteakMan
Chat with DirecTV E-Mail Support
Cute. Wouldn't be surprised if it provided better service.

IBTL? Why? The subject (i.e. don't bash a benefactor) or the exchanges with a possible troll?

SAT-T60 230h TurboNET (x2)
HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gsslug is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 02:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gsslug Find more posts by gsslug Add gsslug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gsslug

I admit I did not read all the posts in this thread. I spot read about a third of them. And I have not tried email support and based on your experience I will probably stick to the phone.

quote:
[i]And even if I did dump my three T60's and replace them with HDVR2's, why should I be expected to fork out at least $300 to eliminate a problem that is caused by software?[/B]

Obviously you own a computer. Have you ever experienced software running fine on one computer and not running at all on another? I have. If 90+% of users are having the same problem then it can legitimately be blamed on software. However if only 10% of users are having a problem and most are using the same hardware it is the hardware manufacturers problem. Just as Microsoft puts out specifications for its operating systems and hardware manufacturers have to, via firmware or drivers, manufacture their hardware to work with the software I would think that DirecTV/Tivo does the same. But I could be wrong.

Regardless users are stuck with something that does not work properly and the software and hardware people are pointing fingers at each other. The user doesn't care who is at fault. All they want is for it to work. So you have to take a critical look at your problem and decide for yourself who is to blame and you apparently believe it is DirecTV. However you say you could solve your problem by getting HDVR2s so it would seem that it is actually your hardware that is to blame.

Just as Microsoft can't guarantee that Windows XP will run on all hardware platforms DirecTV can't guarantee that it's software will run on all hardware. Again it is up to the hardware manufacturer to make hardware that is compatible with DirecTV's software.......IMHO.

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 02:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlankMan Find more posts by BlankMan Add BlankMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlankMan

quote:
Originally posted by gsslug
So you have to take a critical look at your problem and decide for yourself who is to blame and you apparently believe it is DirecTV. However you say you could solve your problem by getting HDVR2s so it would seem that it is actually your hardware that is to blame.
Initial impression would indicate that and the only reason that I said that is because it has not turned up in Second Generation DTiVo's yet, well at least no ne has reported it here yet, but that's not to say it won't. It's a different codeline in HDVR2's, it's not really a hardware issue at least not as it has been presented to me. I have been in communication with some of the TiVo people on this Forum via PM, they have never indicated that it cannot be fixed in software. So I have to go with that, and I don't want to elaborate any further.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MixMasterMark is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 04:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MixMasterMark Find more posts by MixMasterMark Add MixMasterMark to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MixMasterMark

quote:
Originally posted by BlankMan
And some of you never understand the point. Read the thread, the issue is not what you tink it is.
BlankMan, why don't you wake up? This thread IS about what he thinks it is. It's about you sending childishly written, threateningly inappropriate emails to DTV complaining about the smallest of things, and then when they don't meet your 100% completely perfect satisfaction, you come on a public forum and declare them all incompetent buffoons. You better look in the mirror, dude. All your self-righteous proselytizing about how magnanimous you are towards your fellow TiVo hackers doesn't mask the odor of stench your attitude emanates.

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 05:14 AM
BlankMan

quote:
Originally posted by MixMasterMark
BlankMan, why don't you wake up? This thread IS about what he thinks it is. It's about you sending childishly written, threateningly inappropriate emails to DTV complaining about the smallest of things, and then when they don't meet your 100% completely perfect satisfaction, you come on a public forum and declare them all incompetent buffoons. You better look in the mirror, dude. All your self-righteous proselytizing about how magnanimous you are towards your fellow TiVo hackers doesn't mask the odor of stench your attitude emanates.
IBTL

Let see... This thread is about DirecTV responding to every DTiVo problem with the "Reboot it". In some cases telling the customer the the unit should be replaced.

How many times did I mention that this particular issue was a poor choice to use as an example? Want me to go back and count or you want to read the thread instead? How many times did I point out that their answer is always to "Reboot it"? Again, you want me to count them or you want to really read the thread? Those are the points, not the screen blanking issue.

You're name calling little rant sure does a lot to impress me. If that's all you can add to a thread, nothing of value, I would appreciate it if you kept it to yourself. Name calling like that is against the Forum rules, have you read the Forum rules?

If your intention is to get the thread locked that may very well do it. Is that your level of intellect? Have you tried anger management classes?

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

Last edited by BlankMan on 11-27-2003 at 05:19 AM

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SpankWare is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 05:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SpankWare Find more posts by SpankWare Add SpankWare to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SpankWare

quote:
You're name calling little rant sure does a lot to impress me. If that's all you can add to a thread, nothing of value, I would appreciate it if you kept it to yourself. Name calling like that is against the Forum rules, have you read the Forum rules?

If your intention is to get the thread locked that may very well do it. Is that your level of mentality? Have you tried anger management classes?

Ummm..... Could you show me where he actually called you a name? I see him describing certain things certain ways, but I don't see him calling you a name. Also, why do people here get up on their soap box and then whip out forum rules when they don't like the response?

POST #87 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 05:27 AM
BlankMan

quote:
Originally posted by SpankWare
Ummm..... Could you show me where he actually called you a name? I see him describing certain things certain ways, but I don't see him calling you a name. Also, why do people here get up on their soap box and then whip out forum rules when they don't like the response?
Here, I cut this out and pasted it here for anyone that hasn't read it. Your second question does not even deserve a response, just more trolling. Complete trolling, you're not even camouflaging it anymore, the fact that you are not discussing the thread topic.

quote:
-- Politeness

David Bott, our AVS Forum host for all this, has expressed to me that what he intends for all his forums is a coffeehouse atmosphere, where we all get together to discuss features, tricks, and problems with the high-tech toy of our interest in a relaxed, safe environment. Let's try to behave like civilized people would act when gathered in such a public place, even though we can't see each other. Disagreements and differences of opinions are of course welcome, but personal attacks, vindictive remarks, strong profanity, and other insulting behaviors are not welcome. Otherwise, you will drive off many of the people who could help you the most, or cause them to turn a deaf "ear" to your posts.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #88 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Platt is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 09:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Platt Find more posts by David Platt Add David Platt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Platt
Circa 1974

quote:
Disagreements and differences of opinions are of course welcome, but personal attacks, vindictive remarks, strong profanity, and other insulting behaviors are not welcome

...unless, of course, that rude and insulting behavior is directed towards DTV technical support employees. It's perfectly fine then, I guess.

POST #89 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 02:50 PM
BlankMan

quote:
Originally posted by David Platt
...unless, of course, that rude and insulting behavior is directed towards DTV technical support employees. It's perfectly fine then, I guess.
Insightful. And I don't disagree. But the frustration that one has to encounter to get anywhere is just hard for me to fathom. Why is it that the attitude that DirecTv portraits is that their system can do no wrong?

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #90 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hookbill is offline Old Post 11-28-2003 02:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hookbill Find more posts by hookbill Add hookbill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hookbill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by MixMasterMark
Yep. You are insane. All this over having to push 1 button.

Huh???? Are you really reading this thread? It has nothing to do with pushing one button, as BlankMan said that was the example he chose and it was a poor one. It has to do with getting help with issues that are related to technical problems, not just the canned answers that they hand out over the phone.

It is apparent to me that DTV does not seem to have the capability that TiVo had at solving problems we were experiencing prior to their take over of the DVR service. I don't believe BlankMan is just complaining to make some noise. Let's see what happens to some of you when you loose your channels lists, which has been going on for over 6 months now and your favorite show doesn't get recorded. You'll be pissed, it is one of the main reasons why we have D-Tivo's and don't use the VCR.

Hang in there, BlankMan. There are people who understand.

POST #91 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Thespis is offline Old Post 11-28-2003 08:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Thespis Find more posts by Thespis Add Thespis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thespis

quote:
Here, I cut this out and pasted it here for anyone that hasn't read it. Your second question does not even deserve a response, just more trolling. Complete trolling, you're not even camouflaging it anymore, the fact that you are not discussing the thread topic.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Politeness

David Bott, our AVS Forum host for all this, has expressed to me that what he intends for all his forums is a coffeehouse atmosphere, where we all get together to discuss features, tricks, and problems with the high-tech toy of our interest in a relaxed, safe environment. Let's try to behave like civilized people would act when gathered in such a public place, even though we can't see each other. Disagreements and differences of opinions are of course welcome, but personal attacks, vindictive remarks, strong profanity, and other insulting behaviors are not welcome. Otherwise, you will drive off many of the people who could help you the most, or cause them to turn a deaf "ear" to your posts.

So calling someone a troll is OK?
I read the entire thread and I understand your frustration, but a different opinion does not a troll make. If you post your opinion on a public forum, expect to be disagreed with.
As to dealing with customer service automatons: As my grandmother used to say, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

POST #92 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SpankWare is offline Old Post 11-28-2003 08:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SpankWare Find more posts by SpankWare Add SpankWare to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SpankWare

quote:

Again you call me a troll when you have nothing else to say. And who's breaking the rules now?

As for your little quote on politeness....... If you go read the post in question, you'll see that you were never called a name. Were some words used to describe the situation used? Absolutely, but you were never directly called a name. Unlike you, constantly calling me a troll.....

So, care to practice what you preach?

POST #93 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-28-2003 10:49 PM
BlankMan

Thanks hookbill but it's tough. DirecTV's method is to wear you down until you finally give up. That's why DirecTV's Management operates the Support Organization in this fashion, it's not by accident, it's on purpose. I believe that if the CSR's had the access they needed to resources and what not they could truly do a good job. Some of them I have dealt with do try and want to help, unfortunately management has tied their hands.

quote:
Originally posted by Thespis
So calling someone a troll is OK?
I read the entire thread and I understand your frustration, but a different opinion does not a troll make. If you post your opinion on a public forum, expect to be disagreed with.
As to dealing with customer service automatons: As my grandmother used to say, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

I do not have a problem with someone disagreeing with me, but what he has done has been to try and incite. And MixMasterMark post was a personal attack, he did not debate the issue as I have stated it to be and hookbill has reiterated, he came straight after me. I mean look what we wrote, you'd have a hard time convincing me that he has a very high level of intelligence, people that do typically do not resort to that type of behavior.

The definition of a Troll is that of someone who does not add anything of value and who's purpose is to try and incite. He's is hitting both of those dead center. IMHO If the shoe fits... I've never seen anything on this board that says you can't call out a Troll, I've seen it done many times.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

Last edited by BlankMan on 11-28-2003 at 10:58 PM

POST #94 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-28-2003 10:56 PM
BlankMan

quote:
Again you call me a troll when you have nothing else to say. And who's breaking the rules now?

As for your little quote on politeness....... If you go read the post in question, you'll see that you were never called a name. Were some words used to describe the situation used? Absolutely, but you were never directly called a name. Unlike you, constantly calling me a troll.....

So, care to practice what you preach?

Yep.

I don't believe I am and I'm sure if I was a Moderator would surely let me know.

I'll say it again, that was a personal attack.

The definition of a Troll is that of someone who does not add anything of value and who's purpose is to try and incite. You're not debating the issue of this thread, maybe someone else will jump in and try to help you understand that. I've never seen anything on this board that says you can't call out a Troll, I've seen it done many times.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #95 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SpankWare is offline Old Post 11-28-2003 11:20 PM
SpankWare

quote:
Yep.

I don't believe I am and I'm sure if I was a Moderator would surely let me know.

I'll say it again, that was a personal attack.

The definition of a Troll is that of someone who does not add anything of value and who's purpose is to try and incite. You're not debating the issue of this thread, maybe someone else will jump in and try to help you understand that. I've never seen anything on this board that says you can't call out a Troll, I've seen it done many times.

I don't have to continue to debate the issue of this thread as I have already done so. You complained about two issues. A technical problem, and the email support (or rather, lack of) you received for it. When pressed you indicated you already knew you would get this type of response using this method, but continued anyway. I called you out on it, so you asked me to phone in and get resolution. So I did. Then you came back and said it was about the tech support, not your issue. Then when people pointed out how stupid it was for somebody to continue to follow an avenue for support that has repeatedly been shown as ineffective, you got defensive and started calling people trolls, whining about name calling and the rules the whole time.

What value did YOU add to this thread? I know I suggested a more effective method of tech support, and followed up by proving that by getting a response to your issue using my method. You did a lot of whining, I gave you real suggestions and even the answer to your issue. Now.... who contributed more?

POST #96 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-28-2003 11:42 PM
BlankMan

quote:
I don't have to continue to debate the issue of this thread as I have already done so. You complained about two issues. A technical problem, and the email support (or rather, lack of) you received for it. When pressed you indicated you already knew you would get this type of response using this method, but continued anyway. I called you out on it, so you asked me to phone in and get resolution. So I did. Then you came back and said it was about the tech support, not your issue. Then when people pointed out how stupid it was for somebody to continue to follow an avenue for support that has repeatedly been shown as ineffective, you got defensive and started calling people trolls, whining about name calling and the rules the whole time.

What value did YOU add to this thread? I know I suggested a more effective method of tech support, and followed up by proving that by getting a response to your issue using my method. You did a lot of whining, I gave you real suggestions and even the answer to your issue. Now.... who contributed more?

Fact: DirecTV has an email support mechanism.

Fact: By your own admission it is ineffective.

Fact: I choose to use DirecTV's email support system.

Fact: I expect to get a reasonable level of support when using DirecTV's email support system.

Fact: The purpose of this thread is to enlighten potential DirecTV customers that DirecTV's Support leaves a lot to be desired regardless of the method of communicating with them.

Fact: Numerous DirecTV customers that have been experiencing the Favorite Channels and Channels I Receive loss problem have contacted DirecTV by your recommended method, the telephone. DirecTV still has not acknowledged the problem exists while numerous TiVo employees have acknowledged that there is a problem and even this fact has been brought to DirecTV's attention.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #97 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

steuert is offline Old Post 11-29-2003 03:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for steuert Find more posts by steuert Add steuert to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steuert
TivoGeezer

What a tempest in a teapot! I never thought I'd end up defending DTV, but IMO their support is no worse than that of other large organizations such as AOL, Dell, AT&T, etc., etc. It's pretty much a function of cost: having a corps of knowledgeble reps promptly available to answer questions/solve problems and follow through properly is a very expensive proposition, unless you levy an extra charge for each call as do many computer and software vendors - an expedient I am sure would not be very popular around here.

On the other hand DTV has done some things which are of substantial benefit to DTiVo owners: unilaterally reducing their monthly fee from $10 to $5 (for two tuners) while TiVo continues to charge $13 for service to one tuner (or $26 for two), for example. And their generous subsidy of DTiVo hardware, free antenna upgrades, etc., although done for business reasons certainly benefits their customers as well.

If you are really this upset w/DTV, I am sure the Dish Network would welcome you as a customer. Then you can post your complaints on the Dish Community Forum (if there even is one.)

POST #98 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-29-2003 03:59 AM
BlankMan

quote:
Originally posted by steuert
What a tempest in a teapot! I never thought I'd end up defending DTV, but IMO their support is no worse than that of other large organizations such as AOL, Dell, AT&T, etc., etc. It's pretty much a function of cost: having a corps of knowledgeble reps promptly available to answer questions/solve problems and follow through properly is a very expensive proposition, unless you levy an extra charge for each call as do many computer and software vendors - an expedient I am sure would not be very popular around here.

On the other hand DTV has done some things which are of substantial benefit to DTiVo owners: unilaterally reducing their monthly fee from $10 to $5 (for two tuners) while TiVo continues to charge $13 for service to one tuner (or $26 for two), for example. And their generous subsidy of DTiVo hardware, free antenna upgrades, etc., although done for business reasons certainly benefits their customers as well.

If you are really this upset w/DTV, I am sure the Dish Network would welcome you as a customer. Then you can post your complaints on the Dish Community Forum (if there even is one.)

Finally, a viewpoint that brings some fresh thoughts.

Yes they did save us some money in the monthly fee, so because of that we should be willing to accept sub-standard support and not mention things like the Favorite Channels and Channels I Receive loss problem and not expect any of them to be addressed and corrected? At the least acknowledged?

I know Dish is worse, why would I want to do that?

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #99 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

goony is offline Old Post 11-29-2003 03:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for goony Find more posts by goony Add goony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
goony

quote:

Here's 3 that I know of, in order of "most DISHy":
http://www.satelliteguys.us
http://www.dbstalk.com
http://www.dbsforums.com

I've been a Dish network customer since 1996, switching to DirecTV via DirecTivos next week.

Oh... some Dish receivers showed a constantly creeping up/down song title so as to prevent burn-in.

Last edited by goony on 11-30-2003 at 01:34 PM

POST #100 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged