TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> DiskUtil - a safer alternative to qunlock <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BlueRanger is offline Old Post 12-16-2003 10:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlueRanger Find more posts by BlueRanger Add BlueRanger to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlueRanger

DiskUtil - a safer alternative to qunlock

Hi, I posted the attached DOS disk utility to the UK forum a few days ago. Since then I've modified it to make it safer to run on unlocked TiVo drives.

The program accepts four different commands:

1) DiskUtil/Info

Displays brief information about each IDE disk on your PC.

2) DiskUtil/TempUnlock DriveNo.

Unlocks a TiVo disk in the same way that a TiVo does during startup. The drive stays unlocked until power cycled or hard re-set.

3) DiskUtil/PermUnlock DriveNo.

Unlocks the disk so that, after a power cycle, it stays unlocked until replaced in a TiVo. I'm fairly sure this is the same method that qunlock uses. Unlike qunlock, the program checks if the drive is not already permanently unlocked before executing the command. This should avoid the problems with Maxtor drives when qunlock is run multiple times.

4) DiskUtil/Lock DriveNo.

Included for completeness. Locks the drive using the same keys as a Tivo. Drive will then respond to /TempUnlock and /PermUnlock as if it had just been removed from a TiVo.

Try it out. The source code is included so you can see how it works or modify it for your own requirements. No warranties or guarantees though - If you fry your drive you're on your own!

Dave

Attachment: diskutil.zip
This has been downloaded 3982 time(s).

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ADent is offline Old Post 12-17-2003 10:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ADent Find more posts by ADent Add ADent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ADent
TiVo Forum Special Member

Thanx for the posting.

Has anyone tried this with a 120GB 2MB Cache Maxtor?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cachecard_user is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 02:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cachecard_user Find more posts by cachecard_user Add cachecard_user to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cachecard_user

it dosent work in an XP shell

diskutil /Info

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlueRanger is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 05:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlueRanger Find more posts by BlueRanger Add BlueRanger to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlueRanger

No - it wouldn't. Both DiskUtil and qunlock are DOS utilities that make direct access to the disk hardware.

The only way to run both DiskUtil and qunlock is from a DOS boot floppy.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nephilim is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 11:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nephilim Find more posts by nephilim Add nephilim to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nephilim

Hasn't it been repeatedly stated that booting Windows with a Tivo drive installed is a veeery bad idea? Granted I'm delusional, but the voices are seldom that specific.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pahunt is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 02:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pahunt Find more posts by pahunt Add pahunt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pahunt

quote:
Originally posted by nephilim
Hasn't it been repeatedly stated that booting Windows with a Tivo drive installed is a veeery bad idea? Granted I'm delusional, but the voices are seldom that specific.

Only if it's XP

120GB 6022 | Cachecard | Sky Digital

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cachecard_user is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 04:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cachecard_user Find more posts by cachecard_user Add cachecard_user to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cachecard_user

Thumbs up

hey!

It works on maxtor 250 gig drive, sorry for doubting you

may I suggest a '/TempUnlock all' option for startup scripts. This utility should be standard on all tivo boot disks.

Last edited by cachecard_user on 12-29-2003 at 01:01 AM

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cachecard_user is offline Old Post 12-29-2003 01:04 AM
cachecard_user

quote:
Originally posted by nephilim

Thank you. I actually was testing the utility on NON-TiVo maxtor drives using the /Info option.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tholden is offline Old Post 03-02-2004 04:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tholden Find more posts by tholden Add tholden to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tholden

Re: DiskUtil - a safer alternative to qunlock

Although I still don't understand what the hard drive does, whether it writes to the firmware or updates something on the hard drive when you issue this command, I appreciate the effort you made in creating this program. It is nice to at least understand what qunlock is doing. Thank you for your hard work.

quote:
Originally posted by BlueRanger
Hi, I posted the attached DOS disk utility to the UK forum a few days ago. Since then I've modified it to make it safer to run on unlocked TiVo drives.

The program accepts four different commands:

1) DiskUtil/Info

Displays brief information about each IDE disk on your PC.

2) DiskUtil/TempUnlock DriveNo.

Unlocks a TiVo disk in the same way that a TiVo does during startup. The drive stays unlocked until power cycled or hard re-set.

3) DiskUtil/PermUnlock DriveNo.

Unlocks the disk so that, after a power cycle, it stays unlocked until replaced in a TiVo. I'm fairly sure this is the same method that qunlock uses. Unlike qunlock, the program checks if the drive is not already permanently unlocked before executing the command. This should avoid the problems with Maxtor drives when qunlock is run multiple times.

4) DiskUtil/Lock DriveNo.

Included for completeness. Locks the drive using the same keys as a Tivo. Drive will then respond to /TempUnlock and /PermUnlock as if it had just been removed from a TiVo.

Try it out. The source code is included so you can see how it works or modify it for your own requirements. No warranties or guarantees though - If you fry your drive you're on your own!

Dave

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 03-02-2004 08:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S

It doesn't alter the data on the hard drive platters, it interacts with the firmware that runs the drive controller.

These drives have a locking mechanism in the firmware that the Series 1 TiVoes activate.

The temporary unlock uses the same mechanism as the TiVo to release the lock for as long as the drive is powered.

The permanent unlock disables the lock (although the TiVo will re-enable it).

The problem is that with these new Maxtor drives, unlike the Quantum drives that were the original TiVo equipment, attempting to disable the lock when it's not already active engages it permanently. DiskUtil checks that the lock is engaged before it attempts to disable it. qunlock doesn't, which is why people destroy their drives with it.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Joe Smith is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 02:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Smith Visit Joe Smith's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Smith Add Joe Smith to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Smith
Medium Member

Re: DiskUtil - a safer alternative to qunlock

quote:
Originally posted by BlueRanger
Dave

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I had a 120 GB Maxtor (6Y120P0) that
suddenly decided it was a 10 MB disk (Max LBA: 20000) after having been
run in a TiVo. Using "diskutil /PermUnlock 2" did the trick.

It appears that the factory default for these drives is the same as
TempUnlock, in that the lock will be applied after once being used in a TiVo.

-Joe

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alansh is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 04:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for alansh Visit alansh's homepage! Find more posts by alansh Add alansh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alansh

Either WinXP or Win2000 will have the problem with writing a signature to the disk, which ruins the TiVo boot sector. It has to do with the dynamic disk support.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S

The problem that DiskUtil addresses isn't related to the WinNT signature (perhaps you're thinking of MakeTiVoBootable?).

I think the point was that you shouldn't run DiskUtil under a Windows NT environment - use Windows 9x DOS mode or a DOS boot floppy instead.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged