TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Stargate SG-1 2/20 - spoilers <<<

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jonathan_S is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 09:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan_S Find more posts by Jonathan_S Add Jonathan_S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan_S
TiVo Forum Special Member

Stargate SG-1 2/20 - spoilers

No, not Janet. Why did Dr. Frasier have to be the one to die?

Amusing note, the description on Daniel's tape shows that the mission was to P3X 666.

Anyway, other thoughts about the episode?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rob Helmerichs is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 09:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Helmerichs Visit Rob Helmerichs's homepage! Find more posts by Rob Helmerichs Add Rob Helmerichs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Helmerichs
Um...

Althought I basically liked the episode, one thing that I HATED was the VERY cheap stunt of pretending it was going to be O'Neill. That was beneath them...Frazer's death would have had enough impact on its own without the cheap theatrics.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kdmorse is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 12:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kdmorse Find more posts by kdmorse Add kdmorse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kdmorse
Devil's Advocate

Frazer's death would have had enough impact on its own without the cheap theatrics.

Especially if you happened to know it was Janet that died from the very beginning. That made the endless misdirection seem even cheaper.

And how obvious was it that they made a big deal about their new ceramic armor inserts right before we see O'Neill get hit right where they slide in.

Grrrr.... I'm gonna miss her...

-Ken

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drew2k is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 12:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for drew2k Find more posts by drew2k Add drew2k to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drew2k
!revetahW

Yeah - I didn't care for this conclusion of the two-parter. I thought it was kind of insulting to Teryll Rothery that after 6+ years they couldn't give her just a bit more to do for her own freakin' death episode!

To me, the impact of it all was minimized by by focusing so heavily on the documentarian, and not on the core group of characters. O'Neill was unconscious, Tealc was MIA while he looked up the names of all of the doc's patients, and only Carter really got to show some emotion over it. Sure, Daniel crouched in the corner to show his loss, but I wanted more. Uugh.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RGM1138 is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 01:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RGM1138 Find more posts by RGM1138 Add RGM1138 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RGM1138
T-Rex de amour

Man, I did not see that one coming. Although, I guess I would have if I'd been paying closer attention.

We know that RDA wasn't gonna die. He's the above-the-title star, for Pete's sake. Plus, Janet never went through the gate before, IIRC. And, certainly not in a combat situation.

I really liked her character, (and the actress). She gave great bedside manner. It's a shame she won't be around any longer.

The tribute to the troops was a nice touch, I thought.

Bob

"Sister Christian - It's about an astronaut chick that wants to make out with an alien." - Mint Bros.

Sony Tivo Alpha (SVR-2000) - 30 hours, RF Cable.
Sony Tivo Charlie (SVR-3000) - 270 hours, Motorola Digi-cable box, S-Video.
Powered by 4.0
Panasonic DMR-E80
Infinite storage

Ready to Rock

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Coladar is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 07:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Coladar Find more posts by Coladar Add Coladar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coladar

I'd known about Janet's death since last summer, so perhaps my expectations were too high. But I thought it was a horrible way to send off someone who's been with the show since season 1.

I simply don't buy that, after how many years, they decide to send the head of the SG medical staff into a very deadly active combat situation. She might have gone off-world a couple of times (The shows been on what? Seven years? It all blends together after a while.) but they never showed the character as being involved in providing medical support during active combat zones off-world. It's bad enough Teryl Rothery hardly appeared in the episode, but don't kill her off in such a incongruous fashion.

And I, for one, am extremely disappointed they dropped the ball with Cassandra. She, first and foremost, should have been front and center during the memorial. They didn't have to get the same actress, just get someone to show they remembered the character. Excluding that, for no one to even mention her or what would happen to her with Janet's death? She'd be either 17 or 18, so losing Fraiser is going to have serious repercussions in her life.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 08:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JPriller Find more posts by JPriller Add JPriller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPriller
just some guy

I was pretty bummed that Casandra only got mentioned and not shown - she should have spoken along with Carter at the memorial - geez, it's not like she doesn't know about the Stargate.

Dr. Frasier has been offworld before, generally when they're fighting some local plague or something, but I've never seen her sent to a combat zone. It seemed a little odd, but she is (was) an Air Force Captain and you gotta go where they tell you.

I haven't made the rounds of the various fan sites, does anyone know why they killed off Frasier? Actress wanted to move on, contract dispute, just the need to kill off a somewhat major character?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jones07 is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 10:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jones07 Visit jones07's homepage! Find more posts by jones07 Add jones07 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jones07

One of the most spectacular battle scenes I have seen in a SG-1. A lot of CG which was incorporated nicely. And I seen every eps going back to the "better" Showtime days. This will be one of the top Remembered episodes in the 7 years of this serials.

Well done

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RGM1138 is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 10:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RGM1138 Find more posts by RGM1138 Add RGM1138 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RGM1138
T-Rex de amour

quote:
Originally posted by JPriller Dr. Frasier has been offworld before, generally when they're fighting some local plague or something, but I've never seen her sent to a combat zone. It seemed a little odd, but she is (was) an Air Force Captain and you gotta go where they tell you.

True. But, you wouldn't normally send the CMO, the Bones McCoy, if you will, into a hot LZ. That's usually reserved for a corpsman, or EMT etc. The idea is to stabilize the patient, then transport back to base, Which is where Janet should have been, with all the the high tech, life-saving equipment at her disposal. In other words, in the rear with the gear.

quote:

I haven't made the rounds of the various fan sites, does anyone know why they killed off Frasier? Actress wanted to move on, contract dispute, just the need to kill off a somewhat major character?

Maybe she'll come back as a guest star. Perhaps as a System Lord. Or a Romulan.

Bob

"Sister Christian - It's about an astronaut chick that wants to make out with an alien." - Mint Bros.

Sony Tivo Alpha (SVR-2000) - 30 hours, RF Cable.
Sony Tivo Charlie (SVR-3000) - 270 hours, Motorola Digi-cable box, S-Video.
Powered by 4.0
Panasonic DMR-E80
Infinite storage

Ready to Rock

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

landrumdh is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 01:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for landrumdh Visit landrumdh's homepage! Find more posts by landrumdh Add landrumdh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
landrumdh
Planning a Roadtrip!

WTF

I mean ok you needed to write Janet out for some reason, but atleast give her character justice in doing it! You made us think it was O'neil for like 1/2 of the episode!

Why did they axe her? Maybe they'll pull another come back stunt?

Very sad story line. The episode was very well done, but I think that it minimized her importance to the show.

"What is gum, anyway? I looked at the ingredients and the only gum related item I could see was called "gum base." Is that a real thing? Is that the smallest most elemental form of the gum? Or is that like looking at the ingredients for spaghetti and meatballs and seeing "meatballs" listed?" - hefe

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jones07 is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 01:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jones07 Visit jones07's homepage! Find more posts by jones07 Add jones07 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jones07

Did anyone really believed it was O'neil ? Com-on now, we all been watching TV long enuff to now it was Not O'neil that was dead, that it was some kind of twist coming. But I did not see Frasier as the twist. I was fooled 100%

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 01:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence

I was spoiled about Dr. Fraiser being the one. It still made it bad, especially the way they did it. I guess they thought we would be fooled about O'Neill. We knew from the previous show that they had the blast proof vest. It was logical that Jack would be wearing one. They explained in this ep that Jack took a hit where it protected him, but Janet's didn't.

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
Here's a thought! Can anyone spell sarcophagus? Doubtful, but wishful thinking!

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

murgatroyd is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 02:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for murgatroyd Find more posts by murgatroyd Add murgatroyd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murgatroyd

I don't remember now if I had read Teryl was leaving the show or not, but my husband and I were guessing about who it might be.

I hate being right.

Jan

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wmcbrine is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 04:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wmcbrine Find more posts by wmcbrine Add wmcbrine to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wmcbrine
Pink Member

To me, this was perhaps the worst SG-1 ever. (I can only think of one rival for the title.) First, it felt like one ep's worth of plot stretched into a two-parter. The first part consisting mostly of all SGC personnel giving the documentarian a hard time, way beyond reason. All except Doc Frasier, of course -- and whatshisname, the guy who opens the iris. So given that, and their screen time in part 1, I knew it was one of them that was going to die; and realistically, it had to be Janet.

So then in part 2, when the documentarian complained about how boring the footage was that he'd recorded in part 1, I was thinking "Yes!". Then we get more boring stuff, a battle, then a nice speech from the documentarian -- BTW, was he somehow supposed to be unsympathetic, at least at first? Because I was 100% with him the whole way, and very annoyed at how the SGC treated him -- concluding with an unfitting death for one of my favorite characters. I mean, yeah, she died in the line of duty and all, but she was hardly even in part 2... there should've been more, and a better story.

And now there's only one prominent, regular female character left on the show. Will they bring in a replacement?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LordJohnWhorfin is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 06:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LordJohnWhorfin Find more posts by LordJohnWhorfin Add LordJohnWhorfin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LordJohnWhorfin

They lost me when they started using Philips Pronto remotes as tricorders. My suspension of disbelief has limitations!

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dago Red is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 08:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dago Red Find more posts by Dago Red Add Dago Red to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dago Red

quote:
Originally posted by LordJohnWhorfin
They lost me when they started using Philips Pronto remotes as tricorders. My suspension of disbelief has limitations!

Yea, I remember in "Crystal Skull", Sam was using a Marantz RC2000 remote while trying to locate Daniel. It was hysterical.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 09:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JPriller Find more posts by JPriller Add JPriller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPriller
just some guy

They aren't entirely horrible, in Prometheus where Sam is locked in the storage room while goons take over the ship, she builds a transmitter using a Hewlett Packard signal generator. Okay, that's the only appropriate use of name-brand technology I can think of, but it's something.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lordrichter is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 09:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lordrichter Find more posts by lordrichter Add lordrichter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lordrichter

Boring episode...

I second the vote for worst episode candidate.

Part 1 was so boring and directionless that I almost decided to delete part 2 before watching it to make room for other shows that might get deleted by TiVo that I actually might want to watch. The actor playing the documentary dork did not help.

I didn't really watch Part 2, although I did play it. I was surfing the net and writing a reply to an Enterprise thread on here while TiVo was playing Part 2. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything important. This is definitely one of those episodes you can watch in Fast Forward with captioning turned on.

So, basically, I let the episode play for continuity with future episodes.

Even if I had not accidentally opened this thread as I was watching and saw from the first line who died, it was pretty obvious when the refused to show the infirmary that O'Neal was not the one.

I thought that the Robert Picardo uberlawyer interrogations were a little out of place in the midst of everything else going on. Why the distraction, other than to help make a 1 hour episode 2 hours long. I assume we will see more of him in a future episode where they actually spend some time on the subject and do more than run in, make threats, and run out.

I watched Enterprise "Doctors Orders" followed by immediately SG-1 "Heroes Part 2". Enterprise was actually the better episode, which doesn't say much for SG-1.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rob Helmerichs is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 10:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Helmerichs Visit Rob Helmerichs's homepage! Find more posts by Rob Helmerichs Add Rob Helmerichs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Helmerichs
Um...

Re: Boring episode...

quote:
Originally posted by lordrichter
I thought that the Robert Picardo uberlawyer interrogations were a little out of place in the midst of everything else going on. Why the distraction, other than to help make a 1 hour episode 2 hours long. I assume we will see more of him in a future episode where they actually spend some time on the subject and do more than run in, make threats, and run out.
...except this was part of an ongoing storyline with the senator and the NID trying to undermine/take over the Stargate program. This has been going on for years now...

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lordrichter is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 07:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lordrichter Find more posts by lordrichter Add lordrichter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lordrichter

quote:
Originally posted by Medieval Guy
...except this was part of an ongoing storyline with the senator and the NID trying to undermine/take over the Stargate program. This has been going on for years now...

I don't think that justifies bringing it up in this eposide the way they did. It is still a distraction and it did very little to further the Senatorial subplot. Everyone knows that the Senator dislikes the SGC and sending another flunky is nothing new. They might as well bring it up in every episode.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged