TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> -DVD-RW vs. +DVD-RW <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dylanemcgregor is offline Old Post 03-04-2004 03:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dylanemcgregor Find more posts by dylanemcgregor Add dylanemcgregor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dylanemcgregor
TiVo Forum Special Member

-DVD-RW vs. +DVD-RW

I know I've seen mention here many times of a site that compares the different strengths and weaknesses of the competing DVD standards. I've got a friend who wants to read up, but I've searched here a fair ammount and can't seem to find it. I think Stevel has mentioned it a few times. Any ideas?

-Dylan

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Redleg is offline Old Post 03-04-2004 03:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Redleg Find more posts by Redleg Add Redleg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redleg

Probably www.dvdrhelp.com?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SparkleMotion is offline Old Post 03-04-2004 03:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SparkleMotion Find more posts by SparkleMotion Add SparkleMotion to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SparkleMotion
Passive Aggressive

Personally, I've found that the DVD+R discs tend to be more compatible with my friends' standalone players. The DVD-R discs don't play well at all on their players by comparison.

YMMV, of course, depending on the age and model of the player(s) you're making discs for. I can use both myself, but it makes it hard to share stuff if it won't play for them.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dylanemcgregor is offline Old Post 03-04-2004 04:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dylanemcgregor Find more posts by dylanemcgregor Add dylanemcgregor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dylanemcgregor

That looks like the one...or at least is close enough for what I need. Thanks!

-Dylan

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoGeezer is offline Old Post 03-04-2004 04:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoGeezer Visit TivoGeezer's homepage! Find more posts by TivoGeezer Add TivoGeezer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoGeezer
Happy Geezer Year!

Here is a good place to determine the compatibility of your model of DVD player with recordable CD and DVD formats.

One person's "quality TV" is another's "there's nothing on".

PM me your current email address for a Gmail invite.
Happy Tivo Owner since October, 2000
"I'm a sig-fodder whore." - scottjf8
"I'm a lazy asshat!" - montag
"For a small fee- I will be your own personal snipe" - scubagal
Don't be misled
Please don't ask about FSI or dual tuner SA TiVo!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 03-04-2004 04:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

I always have to throw in my individual experience.

I've distributed around 500 DVDs in the past year, all DVD-R. Haven't heard of one compatibility issue.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dylanemcgregor is offline Old Post 03-04-2004 04:12 AM
dylanemcgregor

These are mostly going to be data DVD's for backup purposes only. Occasionally they might want to make one to give out to a client, but that's not the reason they are getting a writer. She really just wanted to make sure that she would get the right types of blank discs. She had heard a horror story from a friend who had bought 100 DVD+RW only to find out that he couldn't write to them with the burner in his G4. She wanted to make sure that that didn't happen to her and thought she would use the opportunity to learn a little bit more about the different types of formats.

-Dylan

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

meridian is offline Old Post 03-04-2004 04:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for meridian Find more posts by meridian Add meridian to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
meridian

Check the DVD recorder Forum at AVS

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/foru...?s=&forumid=106

I have also found that +R/RWs play back on virtually everything, while -Rs sometimes don't.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SparkleMotion is offline Old Post 03-04-2004 04:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SparkleMotion Find more posts by SparkleMotion Add SparkleMotion to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SparkleMotion
Passive Aggressive

If it's just data storage, then -R discs should be fine.

It's in standalone players that I've had probs with the -Rs and video playback. But data works differently since error-correction doesn't rely on real-time, so I use the handful of -Rs I have for data.

(I only have a few rewritable ones (RW) of both formats (+ - ). They are too costly for my purposes.)

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 03-04-2004 04:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah

The one DVD player I found that wouldn't play a burned DVD choked on ALL types (-R, -RW, +R, +RW). However, once I found out about changing the "book type" setting (do a google search) of a disc when it's being burned, I'm able to successfully play DVDs on it.

It sounds like dylanemcgregor is actually more concerned about compatibility with the actual DVD burner, though. Nowadays, it probably doesn't make sense to buy anything other than a dual-format burner... that way you can switch back and forth, if necessary, between the various disc types. www.newegg.com has a good reputation, and it's where I bought by dual-format DVD burner. A friend said he just got the current NEC dual-format burner (8x speed) for a little over $100.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged