TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> DVD-R for Movies SOAK <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SparkleMotion is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 11:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SparkleMotion Find more posts by SparkleMotion Add SparkleMotion to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SparkleMotion
Passive Aggressive

quote:
Originally posted by Raj
Best buy has TDK's on special:

http://bestbuy.dailyshopper.com/ind...niqueid=2919566

$25 for a 25 pack.

Even without the sale price it comes up to about $2 per disc, not bad for TDK. You can choose either DVD-R or +R.

That's a pretty good deal. I got a 100-pack of TDK +R discs from BB just over a month ago...the price was $189+change, but there was an instant rebate of $90, so it was down to about the same as that deal you referenced.

They are easily the best/most compatible discs I've tried so far.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BeanMeScot is offline Old Post 03-16-2004 12:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BeanMeScot Find more posts by BeanMeScot Add BeanMeScot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BeanMeScot
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redleg
With the Panasonic recorder, the Memorex disks are a little suspect. Let us know how they work for you.

I've only used TDK in my Panasonic and out of about 200 DVDs I've had one coaster, and I think that was my fault. The TDKs go on sale at Best Buy for $1 each (in either the 25 or 100 packs) about every three or four weeks.

Don't tell me that! I went ahead and did the Office Depot deal. I don't need another batch of coasters.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Redleg is offline Old Post 03-16-2004 02:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Redleg Find more posts by Redleg Add Redleg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redleg

quote:
Originally posted by BeanMeScot
Don't tell me that! I went ahead and did the Office Depot deal. I don't need another batch of coasters.
Don't worry about it too much. It's not like they're terrible; results are just a little mixed. There are many variables between machines as well as blank-disk production runs that can affect results. You have a good chance of having no problems at all, and that's a great price.

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 03-16-2004 02:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer

The best test (as always) is to just try the disks on your own burner, with the finished result on your own DVD player (and perhaps the players of friends and family you might be sharing movies with.)

One thing I've learned from DVD creation is that what works for one person might not work for the other.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BeanMeScot is offline Old Post 03-16-2004 04:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BeanMeScot Find more posts by BeanMeScot Add BeanMeScot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BeanMeScot

quote:
Originally posted by Redleg
Don't worry about it too much. It's not like they're terrible; results are just a little mixed. There are many variables between machines as well as blank-disk production runs that can affect results. You have a good chance of having no problems at all, and that's a great price.

My problem is not the quality of what is recorded on the disk. The problem is that I can't see what is recorded on the disk. The recorder often can not read a disk to begin with and, even if it can read it to begin with, when I record it and go back to watch it later, it can't read it then.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spanishannouncetable is offline Old Post 03-16-2004 06:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spanishannouncetable Visit spanishannouncetable's homepage! Find more posts by spanishannouncetable Add spanishannouncetable to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spanishannouncetable
This space for rent

Location: Mount Airy, NC (better known as Mayberry - yes, THAT Mayberry)

In addition to the Best Buy sale, Staples has 25 pk spindles of Imation -R & +R discs for the same $24.99 price. The sale price is good through March 27. Staples also carries TDK and will price match Best Buy, so if the Imation's are sold out get some TDK's there instead.

BTW, are Imation DVD's any good ? So far all I've used are Maxell +R and have yet to burn a coaster, but I like the $25 price on both of these. TDK or Imation, hmmm...

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

holee is offline Old Post 03-17-2004 04:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for holee Visit holee's homepage! Find more posts by holee Add holee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
holee
Uncertain

Just got my 100 Memorex DVD+R's. They're identified as Ricoh's. Woo hoo.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gtrogue is offline Old Post 03-17-2004 04:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gtrogue Find more posts by gtrogue Add gtrogue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gtrogue
Enormous Member

I buy printable Ritek -R media. I've burned about 35 in my Mac superdrive and have only made one coaster and only then because I scratched the disc before I put it in the drive and didn't notice. All of them play in both of my SA DVD players, my brother's DVD players, and my Xbox. If you buy in bulk you can good media online for less than $1 per disc.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 03-17-2004 04:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer

gtrogue, where do you buy yours from?

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 03-21-2004 08:46 AM
Fofer

quote:
Originally posted by Fofer
A 1x or 2x DVD burner writes to 4x media at 1x, so to obtain the highest performance from a 2x DVD burner, you should be looking for 2x media.

I've actually started to research the above a bit more, and even though Apple says differently it seems like this is now outdated information (or perhaps it's just specific to Apple 4x DVD-R media?)

I am now pretty sure if you have updated firmware in your DVD burner, and the media you buy is "1x-4x" compatible, then it will burn at the fastest speed your recorder can handle. To test this, I put the Memorex 4x DVD-R media in my 2x SuperDrive, and sure enough, Roxio Toast tells me it'll be able to burn to it at 2x speed. However, I have read in some forums that even though a recorder info screen states it'll burn 2x, it still takes 45 minutes to burn a full disk (the equivalent of 1x speed.) So I'm not 100% sure.

As an aside, I have now used 5 of these new Memorex DVD-R disks. (One with data and four with video from iDVD.) All but one worked fine. The one that didn't gave me an error at the end of the iDVD burn, which was a bummer after the many hours it takes for iDVD to actually finish! The videos played fine in my Pioneer and new Apex but not my older Apex -- but I've never had much luck with DVD-R's and that old Apex.

I'm keeping track so I can best purchase my next batch for the best compatibility. Speed isn't actually as important to me as ensuring compatibility with DVD players of friends and family. There's nothing quite as disappointing as the call you get from a friend after you've sent them a DVD you spent a lot of time on, saying that it doesn't play in their DVD player!

I checked out Meritline.com, and I have a feeling I'll get be getting 50 Ritek's from there -- they seem to get the best reviews. Interestingly enough, they end up being around the same price as the Memorex's.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gtrogue is offline Old Post 03-21-2004 08:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gtrogue Find more posts by gtrogue Add gtrogue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gtrogue
Enormous Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fofer
gtrogue, where do you buy yours from?

Supermediastore. Prices start about $.94/disc for a 50 pack and go down from there.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

net114 is offline Old Post 03-21-2004 09:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for net114 Visit net114's homepage! Find more posts by net114 Add net114 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
net114
Combat Rescue

I have preferred using +RW for my movies. If you search a little, you can find them for $1 a disk. And, since they are rewriteable, you won't make coasters, and you can always erase movies/content you are tired of! One last thing, RW's seem to play in more players in my personal experience. I have Phillips, Sony, and AIWA DVD players. RW seems to play pretty well in them all, but +R/-R have been hit and miss.

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged